Do you think Noah's ark exists?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Ok, the reason why I don't think it exists is because I don't think a massive flood like the bible told about was possible to happen. If you think about it both geologically and meteorololgically, it seems highly improbable that all the land could be covered in water. For it to rain for forty days and forty nights non stop, something terribly wrong with the earth's atmosphere would have to cause it to dump every drop of water vapor in the clouds, and then keep the planet cool enough to prevent the water from evaporating back into the sky. Plus, even with all the polar ice caps melted, all the land still wouldn't be covered by water. Let's also not forget that it would have to be raining everywhere at once to flood the entire planet. As far as far-fetched bible stories goes, this one is pretty far-fetched.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'm sure it did at one time. That doesn't mean it's still intact today.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

It exists in folklore and in the imaginations of countless people.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
No, but it made for one sweet Donald Duck tale in Fantasia 2000.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Nope. I think that there could have been consistent rain and a flood that followed at the location of the original writing. Just my guess anyways...

Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts
I would not have wanted to be a gazelle on that ark.
NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts
according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bank
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

During which he had to manage the logistics of finding 2 of every creature on the planet, + medical and food supplies topped off by making sure he didn't put the lions in the same place as the Zebra's etc. Oh what a nightmare…

Saying that I actually quite liked the story as a kid. It was probably one of the only ones I can remember mind you and – for a bit – believed…

CosmicZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CosmicZombie
Member since 2010 • 1585 Posts

Yes, gargantuan ship that carried 2 of every animal constructed by a single senior man.

Its obvious it existed.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankNintendoNite

I really wish the History Channel would stop presenting itself as, well, a channel about history, while airing baseless, speculative crap like that.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

In the sense that the events of Genesis chapters 6-8 are a literal historical recollection of events that really happened, and in the sense then that one may find the ark described therein... no.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

No.

If it did, the wood definitely would have totally eroded by now.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankworlock77

I really wish the History Channel would stop presenting itself as, well, a channel about history, while airing baseless, speculative crap like that.

I don't know what happened to that channel, but every time I turn it on I laugh.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
Joe Rogan talks abou Noah's Ark - check this out
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pirate700

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankworlock77

Sadly all the major educational channels are now getting like this. Half of Discover channels shows are now just about end of the world scenarios. Guess they've run out of material.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Even if it isn't 100% historically sound, I find shows like that to be interesting. It gets my imagination going, which is a good thing.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Of course not, that would be absurd.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankPirate700

Sadly all the major educational channels are now getting like this. Half of Discover channels shows are now just about end of the world scenarios. Guess they've run out of material.

It's all about pandering to the lowest common denominator to bring in ratings.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

It's all about pandering to the lowest common denominator to bring in ratings.

I think you nailed it.

NintendoNite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NintendoNite
Member since 2010 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankShad0ki11

Even if it isn't 100% historically sound, I find shows like that to be interesting. It gets my imagination going, which is a good thing.

Yeah. I thought the idea of the Ancient Astronauts to be pretty interesting because it could be true. Makes you think about so many different things and makes you see life in a different way
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

It's possible. It's entirely possible that region experienced a massive flood around the time of Noah's Ark. I believe quite a few cultures during that time have a story about a massive flood. I don't believe it was a worldwide flood, nor do I think the Ark had two of every animal, but I believe something to that effect could have existed. I also believe there was a massive flood around that period in that region.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I like the burger idea.

Anyway, they did find pieces of wood that is believed to be pieces of the ark. I guess because it was on an island? I think I heard about them finding a boat but I don't know if it's fake. For all we know it could be anything.

Could be that water was that high back in the day and someone had a boat that crashed or washed away. Now I sound dumb because I have no idea what I am talking about.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Considering that the story was more of an allegory than anything else, it was probably based on the local flood that hit the south Mesopotamia.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GabuEx

It's possible. It's entirely possible that region experienced a massive flood around the time of Noah's Ark. I believe quite a few cultures during that time have a story about a massive flood. I don't believe it was a worldwide flood, nor do I think the Ark had two of every animal, but I believe something to that effect could have existed. I also believe there was a massive flood around that period in that region.

MystikFollower

I think that is certainly a possibility; I tend to believe that much if not all of the Old Testament was inspired by events that actually happened, although certainly not that the way in which the Old Testament tells the stories is literally what happened.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

As much ridicule as there is, there actually is some historical evidence that something like a great flood might have occured, and that great flood might have inspired the story of Noah's Ark. Don't trust me, trust Cracked.com, which everyone does:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18649_5-ridiculous-ancient-beliefs-that-turned-out-to-be-true.html

I also took a class on the Old Testament on college and my teacher confirmed this, scientists now believe that some great flood that inspired the story of Noah's Ark actually happened.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

GabuEx

I think that is certainly a possibility; I tend to believe that much if not all of the Old Testament was inspired by events that actually happened, although certainly not that the way in which the Old Testament tells the stories is literally what happened.

That I agree with. I think it would be an absolutely amazing discovery if they actually found the Ark and it matched the Bible's description.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Yes, I used its wood to build my house. I was aiming for an antique look with a religious theme.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

[QUOTE="MystikFollower"]

GabuEx

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
It's not meant to be quite so literal...and archeologists have said that the area where the story took place did have a major flood at the time....
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GabuEx

As much ridicule as there is, there actually is some historical evidence that something like a great flood might have occured, and that great flood might have inspired the story of Noah's Ark. Don't trust me, trust Cracked.com, which everyone does:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18649_5-ridiculous-ancient-beliefs-that-turned-out-to-be-true.html

I also took a cIass on the Old Testament on college and my teacher confirmed this, scientists now believe that some great flood that inspired the story of Noah's Ark actually happened.

Samurai_Xavier

Ehhhh, I usually like Cracked, but that article is stretching it way too much for me in its attempts to find facts that fit ancient beliefs.

SJGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SJGuy
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

Yes, gargantuan ship that carried 2 of every animal constructed by a single senior man.

Its obvious it existed.

CosmicZombie
lmao
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
In the literal sense, that a gigantic ship was built and housed two of every animal, no. But I'm open to the possibility that the story was inspired by events that did actually happen.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I think it's pretty easy to wipe out a race. Couple billion gone could cause a major impact.

There wouldn't be enough genes to go around and people would die easily from not being immune to certain things. So the whole ark thing and saving animals is kinda pointless.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 poptart

In the literal sense, that a gigantic ship was built and housed two of every animal, no. But I'm open to the possibility that the story was inspired by events that did actually happen. LZ71

It could well have been heavily embellished over years - replace 'world' with 'village' and 'all of the wolds animals' with 'a couple of cows and 6 goats' in the story and its probably a little closer to the truth...

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

hmmm...perhaps...there was a large boat built because of flooding...problems...but, no. I don't realy believe any of those bible stories.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

No. That story probably evolved from older flood legends. It's similar to how the concepts of hell and Satan have evolved.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

[QUOTE="LZ71"]In the literal sense, that a gigantic ship was built and housed two of every animal, no. But I'm open to the possibility that the story was inspired by events that did actually happen. poptart

It could well have been heavily embellished over years - replace 'world' with 'village' and 'all of the wolds animals' with 'a couple of cows and 6 goats' in the story and its probably a little closer to the truth...

The world as known back then was much smaller than is known today. Thus, it's highly likely a major flood would appear to be a world flood.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 poptart

[QUOTE="poptart"]

[QUOTE="LZ71"]In the literal sense, that a gigantic ship was built and housed two of every animal, no. But I'm open to the possibility that the story was inspired by events that did actually happen. LJS9502_basic

It could well have been heavily embellished over years - replace 'world' with 'village' and 'all of the worlds animals' with 'a couple of cows and 6 goats' in the story and its probably a little closer to the truth...

The world as known back then was much smaller than is known today. Thus, it's highly likely a major flood would appear to be a world flood.

Yeah that's true - it's all relative I guess. Perhaps a resident of a flooded village saved all of his/the villages livestock by getting them on a boat. Not inconceivable... Who knows - I failed religious education dismally at school so who am I to comment...

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

as we say here on the internet. pics or it didnt happen

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

it really doesn't make sense at all.. there isn't enough water on the planet to cause that kind of flood, the ark wasn't big enough to hold all of those animals (going by the Bible's description), and even if it was big enough, they would have needed 40 days worth of food for every single animal (i doubt even the largest ships of today could hold that much). and getting that much food would require weeks, if not months to accumulate. they didn't have the technology to preserve food for that amount of time.

there are simply too many holes in the story to believe it is possible by any logical means. even many priests and church officials see it as more of a symbolic story that isn't meant to be taken literally.

if there is someone who honestly believes that one man (or family?) built a ship that big, accumulated that much food, was able to preserve that food, got 2 of every single animal onto that ship, and survived for over a month before landing on top of a mountain, and then having each species repopulate its numbers (which is also impossible because there wouldn't be enough animals to keep the carnivores alive long enough to give birth. and most of the plant life would have drowned, giving the herbivores no food)... i wouldn't know how to react

Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts

Ok, the reason why I don't think it exists is because I don't think a massive flood like the bible told about was possible to happen. If you think about it both geologically and meteorololgically, it seems highly improbable that all the land could be covered in water. For it to rain for forty days and forty nights non stop, something terribly wrong with the earth's atmosphere would have to cause it to dump every drop of water vapor in the clouds, and then keep the planet cool enough to prevent the water from evaporating back into the sky. Plus, even with all the polar ice caps melted, all the land still wouldn't be covered by water. Let's also not forget that it would have to be raining everywhere at once to flood the entire planet. As far as far-fetched bible stories goes, this one is pretty far-fetched.

JustPlainLucas
You're debating why and how something could happen in the book of the Bible that says God SPOKE the universe into creation. You think he has a problem making it rain for 40 days?
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
[QUOTE="cybrcatter"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

according to the ancient astronauts theory i watched on the history channel a few days ago, noahs ark was some kind of mobile dna bankNintendoNite

I don't know what happened to that channel, but every time I turn it on I laugh.

I agree. There's so many pseudoscientific shows on History (and other 'science' and 'history' channels). Anyways, for the poll, third and fourth option.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

I think that its a story to teach people of starting over

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

At one point yes, but with what they used to build it I'm sure it wouldn't sustain to our date.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

There was probably a large flood which to the people the story was based on/written by could've seemed like the whole world being flooded, with some guy trying to save all that was valuable in his area. So, yeah, I think there was A Noah and AN Ark, just not a Noah and an Ark fitting the exact details of the famous story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
In my heart of hearts it does.
LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
Yes, the story has bleen blown out of proportion though. I remember seeing or reading something about a flood that did happen where humans would've been found thousands of years ago. The water from a sea was gradually rising over the years so one tribe decided to build a boat while others did different things. They didn't take 2 of each animal, they just tried to save the pople from their village. The flood water didn't raise alarmingly high and recedded in a few months, so they kind of did it all for naught. I really wished I remember what this was from...
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]

Taegukki
You're debating why and how something could happen in the book of the Bible that says God SPOKE the universe into creation. You think he has a problem making it rain for 40 days?

Yeah, I don't understand why people are bringing science into this.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#49 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I swear I saw some history channel shows supporting Noah's Arc. And being a devout Christian, I believe it happened.

Yeah It must of happened. That could explain why similar fossils are found in different continents (Disproves evolution). I don't buy into the science crap that schools teach us.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#50 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

You're debating why and how something could happen in the book of the Bible that says God SPOKE the universe into creation. You think he has a problem making it rain for 40 days?Taegukki
I kinda do, actually. It's like, I have a box of Legos that has enough bricks for a four foot building and then I try to make a five foot building out of that box of Legos. God, as powerful as he may be, probably adheres to his own laws of physics that he set in place when he created everything, and honestly, I don't think the physics are there for a worldwide flood that lasted forty days...