Do You Prefer PC or Mac?

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#52 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

General_X

Lol I see my avatar/sig in there. :P

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"] Macs don't turn off. They go into a low-power state, and they save the image of the memory so everything can be put brought back faster. Again, we're back at the "hiding" part. None of that has anything to do with how well each OS handles multitasking. Admittedly, Windows could use this feature. The closest thing it has it "lock" and "hibernate". "Lock" doesn't really put the computer into a low power mode. "Hibernate" never works for me, and it's also a complete shutdown rather than low-power so I still have to go through the BIOS. Also I'm willing to be you have a few dozen applications starting up in Windows while your Mac is pretty clean.jun_aka_pekto

The Sleep Mode in Vista (my laptop) and Win 7 (my gaming PC) works perfectly fine here. When in hibernate mode, everything looks powered off: lights, fans, drives, all the LED lights. The PC looks like it's turned off. Yet if I move the mouse, the PC resumes right where it was within a couple of seconds.

I rarely turn off my computers nowadays, preferring to keep them in Sleep Mode.

Neither of those ever work well on my desktop for some reason. Whenever I hibernate, it claims to save the image, but whenever I turn it back on it has to rescan my HD for defects and ends up restarting Windows anyway. It's been that case for every desktop I've owned. It's my only major complaint with Windows.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="cd_rom"] Macs don't turn off. They go into a low-power state, and they save the image of the memory so everything can be put brought back faster. Again, we're back at the "hiding" part. None of that has anything to do with how well each OS handles multitasking. Admittedly, Windows could use this feature. The closest thing it has it "lock" and "hibernate". "Lock" doesn't really put the computer into a low power mode. "Hibernate" never works for me, and it's also a complete shutdown rather than low-power so I still have to go through the BIOS. Also I'm willing to be you have a few dozen applications starting up in Windows while your Mac is pretty clean.jun_aka_pekto

The Sleep Mode in Vista (my laptop) and Win 7 (my gaming PC) works perfectly fine here. When in hibernate mode, everything looks powered off: lights, fans, drives, all the LED lights. The PC looks like it's turned off. Yet if I move the mouse, the PC resumes right where it was within a couple of seconds.

Really? I always like to shut it down completely unless I have windows up that I'm working on. Not like it matters much, Windows 7 boots up so quickly that I barely even notice the difference.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I still think you get what you pay for when you buy a macbook pro laptop. The construction of them are amazing, and the contrast ratio of the monitors are unrivaled. Also the keyboard is very nice .You are not paying for performance, you are paying for everything but performance, even though you still get good performance... obviously not for games.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="General_X"] chessmaster1989
Lol I see my avatar/sig in there. :P

Might have to take another picture of this reply to really start blowing minds. :P
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="cd_rom"] Macs don't turn off. They go into a low-power state, and they save the image of the memory so everything can be put brought back faster. Again, we're back at the "hiding" part. None of that has anything to do with how well each OS handles multitasking. Admittedly, Windows could use this feature. The closest thing it has it "lock" and "hibernate". "Lock" doesn't really put the computer into a low power mode. "Hibernate" never works for me, and it's also a complete shutdown rather than low-power so I still have to go through the BIOS. Also I'm willing to be you have a few dozen applications starting up in Windows while your Mac is pretty clean.metroidfood

Really? I always like to shut it down completely unless I have windows up that I'm working on. Not like it matters much, Windows 7 boots up so quickly that I barely even notice the difference.

For my tower, the posting and everything before windows actually starts takes longer due to a timer for a quick access OS :P

Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts

Perhaps Macs are better (I don't know) , but they don't have all the games I want to play so...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="cd_rom"] Macs don't turn off. They go into a low-power state, and they save the image of the memory so everything can be put brought back faster. Again, we're back at the "hiding" part. None of that has anything to do with how well each OS handles multitasking. Admittedly, Windows could use this feature. The closest thing it has it "lock" and "hibernate". "Lock" doesn't really put the computer into a low power mode. "Hibernate" never works for me, and it's also a complete shutdown rather than low-power so I still have to go through the BIOS. Also I'm willing to be you have a few dozen applications starting up in Windows while your Mac is pretty clean.metroidfood

Mine don't take long to get to the log-in screen (from a warm/cold boot). But, a number of services applets still need to load up before the computer is fully usable. Even the fastest warm or cold-boot still takes forever compared to the 1-2 seconds waking up from Sleep Mode takes and is fully usable right from the get-go.

The problem with Sleep Mode is many PCs made before Vista probably can't handle it. My old 2001 PC BSOD's every time I try it. But, my Toshiba laptop (2007) and gaming Pc (2009) handle Sleep Mode well.

The Mac Mini I just turn off when not being used. It really is quick in booting up, much quicker than any of my PCs. It's the BIOS that slows down the boot process and the Mac doesn't have a BIOS in the traditional sense.

nikkycat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 nikkycat
Member since 2010 • 912 Posts

I've used both of them, and overall i prefer the Mac. I just like OS X overall, its look, feel. Also the Mac Hardware. Yes you can build a PC of equal specs for less, but you get good Apple design (...Most of the time* :P) and the software can take advantage of the hardware and vice versa.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts
I like PCs better.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

PC 110%

1. Its what I grew up on

2. I dont like the control Apple products try to have over their consumer

3. I dont like how Apple products deny the customer control

4. PCs perform three times as good at half the cost

5. Games

6. Games

7. Games

8. Mac "culture" annoys me; if you own a Mac and like it, great, I am happy for you. Just dont treat it like a fashion statement or think Bill Gates is the antichrist and Mac is an army of angels sent to smite him.

Also, this picture sums it up pretty well

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts
PC >>>>> Mac Fact/10
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
PC all they way. A mac basically takes away what I love about PC gaming and PCs in general, CONTROL, which is something you're never really going to get on an Apple product. Windows 7 is such a nice Operating System too, I've being using it for almost a year now without a single issue.
buldog300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#66 buldog300
Member since 2003 • 2152 Posts
PC. I'm a gamer
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I like to build my own computers...I also build them for other people, so it's a no-brainer to choose Windows based systems for me. Macs are well made machines and I understand the appeal, but I hate the fact that they are extremely limited by propriety.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
PC, Macs are overrated, expensive pieces of out of date hardware. I still feel bad for a friend of mine who paid $3000 for a Mac that was weaker than my PC which cost half as much. Iantheone
I also feel bad for him, my mac was half that price.. what a ripoff But yeah, i like both.. windows for gaming, mac for everything else
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Non-Mac PCs.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Don't like anything by Apple so PC by default
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

PC because i like being able to play the latest games *well* :D.

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

pc i hate apple there self ritoughs and think they can charge more $$$ than any of there useless products are worth

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts

I use my macbook almost exclusively since I got it. Mostly since I'm not a PC builder/enthusiast and there are never any games coming out that I can't get on a console. The only PC game on my radar right now is Shogun 2 Total War, and that's been the first on it since Empire, almost 2 years ago. I do want to get Civ 5, but it's coming to the mac soon and that's one I'd like on a laptop.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#75 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

PC

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23162 Posts
I like both, but I currently have a Mac. It suits my needs.
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

I use my macbook almost exclusively since I got it. Mostly since I'm not a PC builder/enthusiast and there are never any games coming out that I can't get on a console. The only PC game on my radar right now is Shogun 2 Total War, and that's been the first on it since Empire, almost 2 years ago. I do want to get Civ 5, but it's coming to the mac soon and that's one I'd like on a laptop.

supercubedude64
Yeah games is a problem, and i'm also a Civ fan.. But the mac has the right tools to run windows on it, so you could try bootcamp.. another thing i love :P
jdiego82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jdiego82
Member since 2006 • 272 Posts

PC, ftw.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
PC, not intrested in the entire Mac ecosystem. Their entire philosophy of a closed system is at odds with mine.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 markop2003

I still think you get what you pay for when you buy a macbook pro laptop. The construction of them are amazing, and the contrast ratio of the monitors are unrivaled. Also the keyboard is very nice .You are not paying for performance, you are paying for everything but performance, even though you still get good performance... obviously not for games.

JigglyWiggly_
You can spec the exact same spec PCs. The laptops are all constructed by Asus and the monitors are all LG S-IPS panels.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 markop2003
[QUOTE="jam19911000"][QUOTE="TicTac8745"]I like them both - Windows for all my serious work such as working a project or gaming, but I have a MacBook Pro for those basic day-to-day stuff like email and web browsing. They both have their pluses and minuses, this whole PC vs Mac war is just stupid.

My Mac is VERY handy for all the multi-tasking that I have to do in school (hence, everyday tasks). If I tried to run as many programs on a PC, it'd blow up!

Look up the Samsung SSD RAID0 vid on youtube, they open up every single program in the start menu and windows dosn't even flinch.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
PC, it's cheaper for the same or greater power.. What an obvious choice.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
PC. The money I saved buying a PC in relation to a Mac paid for three and a half month's food. That's pretty excellent.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
If somebody donated a Mac to me, but i try them at Fry's and don't see what the big deal is........maybe if i were an Art student.but my cousin is and so far hasn't bought a MAC either.........
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I have never met a man with a MAC. that's all I'm saying.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

I'm a mac guy so I have to go with the mac.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
If somebody donated a Mac to me, but i try them at Fry's and don't see what the big deal is........maybe if i were an Art student.but my cousin is and so far hasn't bought a MAC either.........X360PS3AMD05
I graduated from an arts program. Honestly, the profs gushed over them, gave us portable HDs so we could carry over projects to the Macs and work on them on PCs and Macs. Worked for a while until the Macs bricked my hard drives. *shrug* I didn't find them any quicker or more efficient, and while the monitors were nice, the keyboards were the least ergonomic ones I've experienced. I worked on Macs steadily for 3 years in that course, pretty much half the hours I was in school, and I can say the old "art student" bit is just a myth. Quark is on Macs, but InDesign is right there with it. Macs use intel components so they're no more special than every other PC in existence and that hardware efficiency argument is shot. The OS is useful, clean and simple, but there are some annoyances(at least, personal ones) that I found troubling to my efficiency(such as the ever present single bar at the top, and the active transparency within program frames). Really, when you buy a MAC, you buy it for the exclusive software(usually audio or video post-processing), or you buy it for the looks and simple OS. There's no other reason to buy a Mac.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I've had both, but I prefer PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

While I dislike the use of "PC" to mean anything but a Mac (since a Mac is still a personal computer, but...

PC for sure.

I don't like Apple products and I don't like Apple, and I ESPECIALLY don't like their computers. The iPods, eh, fine, I can live with those, but I can't stand their computers. I don't like the operating systems, I hate how overpriced the computers themselves are, I hate how you cannot customize the hardware, and so on. I also hate the pretension that more often than not goes along with owning a Mac.

A lot of Mac users pride themselves in being elite computer-users because they went out and bought a Mac, but that's not true. It takes a lot more skill to customize a PC, build your own PC, or even select a PC from a large pool of brands. I also get so sick of hearing about how Macs are "virus-free" which also is a misconception. Automatically owning a Mac does not make you exempt from viruses, and automatically owning a PC does not make you virus-ridden. Using a little common sense will go a long way with avoiding viruses. Macs are still susceptible to viruses - they just often aren't a target since PCs are more popular and more businesses and important companies use PCs.

All in all, I just have never had a positive experience with a Mac computer, and I've used many different kinds of them dating back to the late '90s, so I'm not just talking out of my ass.

incred_davis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 incred_davis
Member since 2005 • 1166 Posts

ive used both quite a bit, for some reason i hate macs.

because of my opinion being the only one that matters....

PC WINS!!

that is all.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#91 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
PC.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
pc
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

Mah PC is cool

colibriosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 colibriosis
Member since 2010 • 598 Posts
I got a Mac about five months ago and I swear you couldn't pay me to switch back to PC! What's everybody else's opinion?jam19911000
Agreed. Gonna get a MacBook pro as soon as i get my salary.
Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

home built pc's are the way to go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

PC for me. Apple is too expensive and I find there hardware to be pretty and fragile.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Ive never had a Mac but im not against them
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#98 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

I prefer Pc, but Mac seems pretty sleek.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

os mac hardware pc

windows is the devil

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts