Do you like King Crimson?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#51 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
I think its odd, but Dream Theater is classified as Metal nowadays, not progressive
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I think its odd, but Dream Theater is classified as Metal nowadays, not progressiveOblivionfan10

That's weird. They're definitely porgressive, especially their latest album.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

a

Great Album

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

[QUOTE="Oblivionfan10"]I think its odd, but Dream Theater is classified as Metal nowadays, not progressiveGuppy507

10 minutes of technical wankery isn't really progressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

[QUOTE="Oblivionfan10"]I think its odd, but Dream Theater is classified as Metal nowadays, not progressiveDivergeUnify

10 minutes of technical wankery isn't really progressive

Long insturmental sections is a big part of progressive music, along with the frequent time signature changes, and non-standard (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus) song structure.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

Long insturmental sections is a big part of progressive music, along with the frequent time signature changes, and non-standard (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus) song structure.

Guppy507

I'm sure we can both agree there's a difference between a well-written instrumental, and a song with about 5 different bridges consisting of technical wankery that in no way flows or connects to one another.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

DivergeUnify

I'm sure we can both agree there's a difference between a well-written instrumental, and a song with about 5 different bridges consisting of technical wankery that in no way flows or connects to one another.

There is indeed a difference. However, they're both still progressive.

In the case of Dream Theater, the only parts of their songs that irritate me is the random guitar solos. Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, but he doesn't write very good solos. Their instrumental passages are great, unless they're guitar solos, like the last 2-3 minutes of A Nightmare to Remember.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

DivergeUnify

I don't know, I think that Dream Theater's Change of Seasons is one of the most well written pieces in Progressive rock.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

Guppy507

In the case of Dream Theater, the only parts of their songs that irritate me is the random guitar solos. Petrucci is an amazing guitarist, but he doesn't write very good solos. Their instrumental passages are great, unless they're guitar solos, like the last 2-3 minutes of A Nightmare to Remember.

Nowadays, Petrucci is hellbent in showing people he can play. In the earlier albums, he would play with some restraint, and had some really awesome ideas.
WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"] I didnt know Tool was progressive at all...

mexicangordo

Yep, they're progressive rock. Damn, I haven't listened to Tool is a long time...

Really? I know your the Prog rock guy of these forums guppy but ive been a long time Tool fan (since 95) and I always classified them as more of "art rock" Thats rather interesting though.

The terms "prog" and "art rock" are just forms of self glorification. An attempt to distinguish themselves from others. Alot of bands which called themselves porogative rehashed the same sound over and over again, and I wont offer any examples as I might upset some people. Very few "prog"bands have actually had any real impact on music to push it in any direction, so it's a false term most of the time. Other bands may prefer to call themselves "Art Rock" but it means the same thing, it's just slightly more modest. I don't see either as a real genre.

King Crimson did some good stuff, and some, uh, intresting stuff. They have had a big influence on alot of modern musicians and their first album was brilliant. Alot of their stuff does sound like they are getting carried away with themselves, which happens quite alot with similar bands.

Oblivionfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61 Oblivionfan10
Member since 2008 • 6327 Posts
[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

The Continuum solo and blast beat make that last few minutes of ANTR bearable. It does go on a tad bit too long. If your my brother, he thinks that the atmospheric part of The Count of Tuscany needs to be cut out. Even though I told him there's emotion behind it and represents Petrucci being alone before he felt he was going to die
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#62 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
yes, i do. they were a ground breaking and very influential (i give them bonus points for being influential to GOOD bands) band with lots of staying power.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

King Crimson's pretty good... I think a lot of people think they're way better than they are, but I think they're pretty good. They're indisputably talented musicians, for sure.