Do you follow the "Ladies first" rule?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
Usually... If I know her... Maybe if she is attractive
effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#102 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

I try to as best I can. When I do, you can see that most women are surprised.JohnnySN1P3R

Thats because guys hardly ever do that kind of stuff anymore

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.Hewkii

obviously not, or he'd be agreeing with you.

Obviously, I was speaking in general terms. :wink:

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#104 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.MetalGear_Ninty

My cynical side says that it is indeed an instinctive reaction, but more out of a desire to score points with someone that a person is sexually attracted to than out of something as altruistic as general politeness and respect. Like I said, if someone wants to really be polite and respectful, that person should do the same nice things for both sexes. I would have a hard time calling someone polite and respectful who opens doors for women but slams them in the face of men.

Dunkonya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Dunkonya
Member since 2004 • 1601 Posts
most the time i do.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.GabuEx

My cynical side says that it is indeed an instinctive reaction, but more out of a desire to score points with someone that a person is sexually attracted to than out of something as altruistic as general politeness and respect. Like I said, if someone wants to really be polite and respectful, that person should do the same nice things for both sexes. I would have a hard time calling someone polite and respectful who opens doors for women but slams them in the face of men.

Not necessarily, I think I would be the eternal optimist if I expected to score with any girl just because I opened the door for them.

I don't know with guys, you can be polite up to a certain point, but then you don't want to be too helpful, then as for him to think he was superior or teh alpha male. :?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#107 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.MetalGear_Ninty

Well of course being nice to people is good, but this is basically talking about being nice specifically to women and not doing the same thing for a man in the same position. That's the part that I don't get.

I have to go against you Gabu on this one. Here in Arkansas, the women almost expect it. Is that fair, probably not, but to me it's more about showing whomever I'm opening the door for that life isn't moving so fast and I'm not in such a hurry that I can slow down and be polite even if for just a very short period of time.

But why do it just for women? That's what I'm talking about. I'm all for opening a door for someone out of politeness and to be a nice guy, but do the same for men, too. Unless women are somehow less capable of opening doors than men are, I don't see any reason to differentiate between the two.

You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.

If I may quote the great Dave Chappelle:

"Chivalry is dead....

...and women killed it."

Seriously, though, I agree its more of an instinct...you cant/dont really think about it. And Gabu I agree, I tend to hold the door open for anyone about within 20 feet of entering the same door I am going through, male or female. But with women I tend to hold the door open for longer, whereas I make guys catch it.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#108 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

Only to women who don't want or expect to be pampered. Doing it to the ones that expect to be treated like a princess from a Disney movie... Urgh. *shudder*

Aquat1cF1sh

agree

dirtyd100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 dirtyd100
Member since 2006 • 4252 Posts
Most of the time.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.MetalGear_Ninty

Not necessarily, I think I would be the eternal optimist if I expected to score with any girl just because I opened the door for them.

I don't know with guys, you can be polite up to a certain point, but then you don't want to be too helpful, then as for him to think he was superior or teh alpha male. :?

Well... assuming that you are right, and it is indeed a natural impulse... what function would that impulse serve? Bear in mind that we wouldn't have evolved said impulse unless it conferred some benefit to survivability.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.Funky_Llama

Well... assuming that you are right, and it is indeed a natural impulse... what function would that impulse serve? Bear in mind that we wouldn't have evolved said impulse unless it conferred some benefit to survivability.

Evolutionary speaking, I reckon that any gesture towards females would create a pleasant reaction in the male.

It would at least make the chance of mating more likely, however small that may be.

Philx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#112 Philx3
Member since 2008 • 1426 Posts
yes i do most of the time.
UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#113 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts

[QUOTE="Wet_Sand"]I always hold the door open for women. A lot of them think you're a douche if you don't. GabuEx

I think a guy would be a jerk if he slammed the door in a woman's face, but that same guy would also be a jerk if he slammed the door in a man's face, too.

Personally I've always felt that there was a massive double standard in this side of things, where women want equality but then like it when you unnecessarily hold the door for them too on account of their being a woman. Equality means that people are supposed to not treat you differently based on your gender at all times, not just when it benefits you.

That's what bugs me about a lot of stuff like that.

wado-karate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#114 wado-karate
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Wet_Sand"]I always hold the door open for women. A lot of them think you're a douche if you don't. UnamedThing

I think a guy would be a jerk if he slammed the door in a woman's face, but that same guy would also be a jerk if he slammed the door in a man's face, too.

Personally I've always felt that there was a massive double standard in this side of things, where women want equality but then like it when you unnecessarily hold the door for them too on account of their being a woman. Equality means that people are supposed to not treat you differently based on your gender at all times, not just when it benefits you.

That's what bugs me about a lot of stuff like that.

It also bothers me but I do let them first, and pretty much anyone. Its manners.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.MetalGear_Ninty

Evolutionary speaking, I reckon that any gesture towards females would create a pleasant reaction in the male.

It would at least make the chance of mating more likely, however small that may be.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts

Yes.

You?

muffincakes87

Not really. I do it for the elderly, the people who might have a handicap, or mothers with strollers.

However there are VERY few, and let me say it again, very few "ladies" anymore. If you want to be my equal through and through then I cant hold that door open for you because you have breasts. If you want to be coddled then you already got some guy to call you princess so I dont need to anyhow.

If you want to be my equal and be a princess, well you can just go hell.

So no. I hold doors open for people who could use the assist and got no one else to help them. Its a gesture, not a obligation.

stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts
I hold the door open for whoever is behind me, it's common courtesy.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Yes, in all situations I am biased towards the more attractive party... which is usually female.

Although usually if it's a situation with random people, I let them go first, no matter which gender they are, just out of politeness.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
yes i do... its ungentlemanly (if thats a word) not to.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Funky_Llama
yes i do... its ungentlemanly (if thats a word) not to.campzor
Why? >_>
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#121 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Yes, despite "equality" talks from both sides, I still believe in some form of chivalry, just not any of that "shining knight" bullcrap.

czort666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 czort666
Member since 2008 • 1767 Posts
Yes I do.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points