Do you follow the "Ladies first" rule?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts

Only to women who don't want or expect to be pampered. Doing it to the ones that expect to be treated like a princess from a Disney movie... Urgh. *shudder*

Aquat1cF1sh
that is about right
m45t3rch13f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 m45t3rch13f
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts
Yep, always... Except my older sister, LOL
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yes, as probably one of the only gentlemen left on this planet I feel it necessary to be poilte to women. Not for the old Victorian reasoning based on the superiority of men but because I just feel it is my duty as a man to be polite, nice and kind to women.
SpidersRMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SpidersRMe
Member since 2006 • 6201 Posts
I never find myself in situations where "ladies first" could be applied in any way.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#55 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Yes, as probably one of the only gentlemen left on this planet I feel it necessary to be poilte to women. Not for the old Victorian reasoning based on the superiority of men but because I just feel it is my duty as a man to be polite, nice and kind to women.foxhound_fox

What reason would one have to be polite to women where one isn't polite to men that isn't borne from some impression that women are fragile creatures who must be taken care of by big, strong men?

Really, that's where the whole business of chivalry comes from. If women want to be equal, they ought to pull their own weight; otherwise, I don't see how they can complain when men don't take them seriously.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What reason would one have to be polite to women where one isn't polite to men that isn't borne from some impression that women are fragile creatures who must be taken care of by big, strong men?

Really, that's where the whole business of chivalry comes from. If women want to be equal, they ought to pull their own weight; otherwise, I don't see how they can complain when men don't take them seriously.

GabuEx

I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.
Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Sometimes.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GabuEx

I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.foxhound_fox

Well of course being nice to people is good, but this is basically talking about being nice specifically to women and not doing the same thing for a man in the same position. That's the part that I don't get.

camarowu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 camarowu
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts

Chivalry died long ago. If women want equal rights, they must truly try to see themselves as equals in all respects. They can't have their cake and eat it too.burpysmurph

this

Sam_Phisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Sam_Phisher
Member since 2008 • 325 Posts

Ladies first only when I'm trying to hit it

Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Iron_will
Member since 2007 • 2837 Posts
Nope, I don't, I don't think I will ever, too.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

Doors? Yes

But anything else, not really. Theyre people, just like me (only they have vaginas!), so I dont see why they should get pampered. I mean, I am polite and if they ask for assistance or anything I would be happy to help, but I wont let them go ahead of me when I am in line at the store for example, and if I am talking to friends at the bar I wont move out of their way unless they ask; in that case, I smile, make eye contact, and say "sure, no problem". You'd be suprised how many women you meet simply with that little gesture.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Nah, I usually hold it open for old people, or people with their hands full, and if there is someone coming in right behind me I'll usually swing it open more so it doesn't slam in their face

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
I used to until I got my heart broken over and over. Now I treat 'em like guys since they wanted equality. The sad thing is, I get more respect that way.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GabuEx

I used to until I got my heart broken over and over. Now I treat 'em like guys since they wanted equality. The sad thing is, I get more respect that way.DJCUEBALL

It's sad to get respect for treating women as equals? :P

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#66 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.GabuEx

Well of course being nice to people is good, but this is basically talking about being nice specifically to women and not doing the same thing for a man in the same position. That's the part that I don't get.

I have to go against you Gabu on this one. Here in Arkansas, the women almost expect it. Is that fair, probably not, but to me it's more about showing whomever I'm opening the door for that life isn't moving so fast and I'm not in such a hurry that I can slow down and be polite even if for just a very short period of time.

nuno_himura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nuno_himura
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts
I follow the "My wife first", and only then "Ladies first". :P
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#68 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
Yes, unless the woman is a real b****, then no.
xboxplayer1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 xboxplayer1990
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Nah man. In fact I make chicks open the door for me.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

I only hold the door is its dangerous for the incoming person not to do so. No matter if is male or female.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts

[QUOTE="DJCUEBALL"]I used to until I got my heart broken over and over. Now I treat 'em like guys since they wanted equality. The sad thing is, I get more respect that way.GabuEx

It's sad to get respect for treating women as equals? :P

You get more respect from them when you treat them like crap. Sad, but true and it works.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
i follow it for being nice quite alot of the time though sometimes i just follow it for the other reason...
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts
Always. :)
Dark-Sithious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dark-Sithious
Member since 2008 • 3914 Posts
I try to hold it back, but I always come first
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#75 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Kind of, but I'll hold the door for guys too so...
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts

Kind of, but I'll hold the door for guys too so...SolidSnake35

rule #52 of the unwritten man book:

Never hold the door for a guy, just when you walk through give an extra effort in holding the door open as you pass to show respect. NEVER stand there and hold a door for a guy.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Sure. Unless it is something like who I am going to kick or something.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Kind of, but I'll hold the door for guys too so...Premier1101

Never hold the door for a guy, just when you walk through give an extra effort in holding the door open as you pass to show respect. NEVER stand there and hold a door for a guy.

Oh, well, that's what I meant. I'd never open a door and then stand there like a lemon, letting people go through first. I'm not the doorman. >.>
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Premier1101
[QUOTE="Premier1101"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Kind of, but I'll hold the door for guys too so...SolidSnake35

Oh, well, that's what I meant. I'd never open a door and then stand there like a lemon, letting people go through first. I'm not the doorman. >.>

ah. I stand there and let a girl go first if she is attractive... cant say no to eye contact and the ability to check her out afterwards.... and then they think you are all gentlemanly, when actually its a bit pervy :P

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SolidSnake35
ah. I stand there and let a girl go first if she is attractive... cant say no to eye contact and the ability to check her out afterwards.... and then they think you are all gentlemanly, when actually its a bit pervy :PPremier1101
Hmm, yeah... very naughty. u_u I'd let a girl go first if we both reached the door at the same time. That's about it.
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Premier1101

[QUOTE="Premier1101"]ah. I stand there and let a girl go first if she is attractive... cant say no to eye contact and the ability to check her out afterwards.... and then they think you are all gentlemanly, when actually its a bit pervy :PSolidSnake35
Hmm, yeah... very naughty. u_u I'd let a girl go first if we both reached the door at the same time. That's about it.

lol. I take my advantages... I need some fantasy for my alone time with my strong hand....

kerching

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82 kerching
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
I always do, its just the thing to do
ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts
I don't follow that rule. Everytime I hang out with some girl, my dad is always under the impression that I'm going to pay for her. F*** no. She pays for herself unless if I invited her and she's the only one with me. If it's something we came up with together, then she better not expect me to pay for her.
milosbeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#84 milosbeli
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts
most of the time
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#85 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
Not really.
N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts
Most of the times I do, dont know im just kinda used to it..(A)
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#87 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
i try to but your always gonna have those moments where you forget who is behind you and end up closing the door on some girls face....thats how i met my last girlfriend lmao :P
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts
Most of the time
Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I always hold the door open for ladies, its the right thing to do.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#90 teh_destroyer
Member since 2004 • 35328 Posts
no, i go by the "Age before beauty" rule :P.
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
No.
Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts
ONLY IF SHE IS HOT!!!
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I don't think I do.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#94 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

I first started to ignore the ladies first rule after I noticed something. I would walk down the street, and totally be on my side. Yet a group of two ladies would be walking shoulder to shoulder for example, and I would get out of the way for them.

Well, I got a little tired of it so I decided to stop doing it. I still feel guilty about it when a girl expects me to get out of her way, I dont, and she bumps into me. But I simply ask "you ok?" and they either show their true colors (suprisingly, they often reply "oh, excuse me" rather than "watch it, fatass") or simply keep walking.

As for the Age before Beauty rule, I tend to follow that a little bit more. Older ladies tend to have class and an appreciation for good manners, whereas girls my age dont. Sorry, you dont like what I am saying, but such has been my obervations and experiences

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
No. I live in the 21st century, you see.
freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts

depends really. onlyw ith women who act like ladies

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Of course.

Most of the time, I don't actually stand at the door though, just hold the door while I am walking buy.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.btaylor2404

I have to go against you Gabu on this one. Here in Arkansas, the women almost expect it. Is that fair, probably not, but to me it's more about showing whomever I'm opening the door for that life isn't moving so fast and I'm not in such a hurry that I can slow down and be polite even if for just a very short period of time.

But why do it just for women? That's what I'm talking about. I'm all for opening a door for someone out of politeness and to be a nice guy, but do the same for men, too. Unless women are somehow less capable of opening doors than men are, I don't see any reason to differentiate between the two.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I don't feel like it has anything to do with being "strong" but just wanting to be nice to people.GabuEx

But why do it just for women? That's what I'm talking about. I'm all for opening a door for someone out of politeness and to be a nice guy, but do the same for men, too. Unless women are somehow less capable of opening doors than men are, I don't see any reason to differentiate between the two.

You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

You're applying logic to an instinctive impulse, to act kindly towards members of the opposite sex. Chivalry is born from men wanting to feel good about themselves by being polite and respectful to women. It is perhaps an illogical, and irrational thing, but it just kinda comes naturally.MetalGear_Ninty

obviously not, or he'd be agreeing with you.