Do You Celebrate Christmas a religious holiday?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"] than maybe im just unlucky idk. deflection. ok, lets get back then. i dont think we'd be in a world of hurt without religions. of course they do great things for people, and yes you're right that there would be no xmas or whatever your point was without it, but i can't help but look at those wars in the past and think, "if we didnt have religion, would there be less? or would we become more racist and kill each other because of that?"

But again religion is a very very small reason for war. And if someone is saying that then they are uneducated and uniformed.

i wouldnt say that. i talk to my friends about this and we went to a pretty prestigious school. highly educated and pretty informed. i would say we are all pretty intelligent. assumptions ftw i guess.

Oh goody anecdotal evidence. Going to a "prestigious" school doesn't actually mean one is highly educated nor pretty informed. First in regard to this specific issue one would have had to study a specific course. Studying English lit at a "prestigious" school does not mean one is informed in the dynamics of war nor the history. Second.....grades do vary even in a "prestigious" (yet still unnamed school)....meaning a D student could attend such a school but not gain much knowledge.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Uh...you're not getting it. Other than having the date for a saint it has nothing to do with Christianity. Saints get days....St Patrick, St Valentine, St John, St Steven, St Thomas Beckett....it's nothing moe than a feast day and isn't celebrated outside of the day set aside for the saint. There are 365 days in a year....there are bound to overlapping events on said day.

I haven't avoided any point. If anything the name of the saint was taken for the commercial day. It's nothing more than a feast day. You have a magic crystal ball that tells you that the date would still be celebrated long after the culture died? Because ancient cultures did have specific days that we no longer celebrate today. And I doubt anyone would have celebrated the winter solstice even decades after paganism died out.

No what happened is they picked the same date. It's really that simple. That would be like if I had a fantastic military and invaded the UK and made it subservient to me and my co conspirators. I don't want to celebrate Guy Fawkes anymore but I want to keep the natives happy. So I create Liberation Day...make it a bank holiday, close the shops, have everyone get a paid holiday, and light up the sky with fireworks. Note...I'm NOT celebrating Guy Fawkes Day anymore. I'm celebrating something entirely different but instead of creating a new day.....I give you the same day off to avoid confusion and keep the population as happy as they're going to be under my reign. If you can't see that the meaning of the day is what is celebrated and NOT the date then I don't know what to tell you.

LJS9502_basic

I don't think your getting it, the christians picked the same days in order to convert pagans to christianity, this allowed them to still celebrate pagan holidays even though they were converts. Christianity simple took over the pagan holidays and twisted them for their own purpose.

No one simply picked the same day, it was planned to undermine a different set of beliefs.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

i wouldnt say that. i talk to my friends about this and we went to a pretty prestigious school. highly educated and pretty informed. i would say we are all pretty intelligent. assumptions ftw i guess.

pygmahia5

rofl.

It's funny because you think you know something.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]But again religion is a very very small reason for war. And if someone is saying that then they are uneducated and uniformed.LJS9502_basic

Oh goody anecdotal evidence. Going to a "prestigious" school doesn't actually mean one is highly educated nor pretty informed. First in regard to this specific issue one would have had to study a specific course. Studying English lit at a "prestigious" school does not mean one is informed in the dynamics of war nor the history. Second.....grades do vary even in a "prestigious" (yet still unnamed school)....meaning a D student could attend such a school but not gain much knowledge.

Keith Country Day School is the one. and yes, i know of some kids that went there that were D students lol. only like 3 though. whats your point with this though? that religion isn't a factor in wars/deaths? because it is.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

Uh...you're not getting it. Other than having the date for a saint it has nothing to do with Christianity. Saints get days....St Patrick, St Valentine, St John, St Steven, St Thomas Beckett....it's nothing moe than a feast day and isn't celebrated outside of the day set aside for the saint. There are 365 days in a year....there are bound to overlapping events on said day.

I haven't avoided any point. If anything the name of the saint was taken for the commercial day. It's nothing more than a feast day. You have a magic crystal ball that tells you that the date would still be celebrated long after the culture died? Because ancient cultures did have specific days that we no longer celebrate today. And I doubt anyone would have celebrated the winter solstice even decades after paganism died out.

No what happened is they picked the same date. It's really that simple. That would be like if I had a fantastic military and invaded the UK and made it subservient to me and my co conspirators. I don't want to celebrate Guy Fawkes anymore but I want to keep the natives happy. So I create Liberation Day...make it a bank holiday, close the shops, have everyone get a paid holiday, and light up the sky with fireworks. Note...I'm NOT celebrating Guy Fawkes Day anymore. I'm celebrating something entirely different but instead of creating a new day.....I give you the same day off to avoid confusion and keep the population as happy as they're going to be under my reign. If you can't see that the meaning of the day is what is celebrated and NOT the date then I don't know what to tell you.

tenaka2

I don't think your getting it, the christians picked the same days in order to convert pagans to christianity, this allowed them to still celebrate pagan holidays even though they were converts. Christianity simple took over the pagan holidays and twisted them for their own purpose.

No one simply picked the same day, it was planned to undermine a different set of beliefs.

I know exactly why they picked the same date...hence my analogy above. Or didn't you read it?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 tenaka2

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"] i wouldnt say that. i talk to my friends about this and we went to a pretty prestigious school. highly educated and pretty informed. i would say we are all pretty intelligent. assumptions ftw i guess. pygmahia5

Keith Country Day School is the one. and yes, i know of some kids that went there that were D students lol. only like 3 though. whats your point with this though? that religion isn't a factor in wars/deaths? because it is.

Argumentum ad hominem, its a common tactic around these parts.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

LJS9502_basic

I know exactly why they picked the same date...hence my analogy above. Or didn't you read it?

it was a tool for conversion, as well as keeping converts happy, I think this point is important as it highlights the insidious nature of certain religions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"] i wouldnt say that. i talk to my friends about this and we went to a pretty prestigious school. highly educated and pretty informed. i would say we are all pretty intelligent. assumptions ftw i guess.

93% of wars/deaths had nothing to do with religion. So maybe you should not be so quick to say religion is the major cause of wars. My point...anecdotal evidence isn't worth much. Prep school seriously? I thought we'd be talking about more than secondary education.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

it was a tool for conversion, as well as keeping converts happy, I think this point is important as it highlights the insidious nature of certain religions.

You really didn't read my analogy did you?
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

No.... well kinda?

I am not a religious person anymore, but it's good to keep up appearances as not to cause trouble for others.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LJS9502_basic

No.... well kinda?

I am not a religious person anymore, but it's good to keep up appearances as not to cause trouble for others.

Baconbits2004
You don't have to celebrate. That doesn't cause trouble. Being negative toward those that celebrate, of course, could be trouble depending on who you targeted.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

No.... well kinda?

Baconbits2004

How would that cause trouble?

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Of course. Christmas is celebrating the birth of Santa Claus! Why would I not celebrate it?

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
My family always celebrated Christmas as just another holiday. It wasn't until I got to middle school that I learned some people celebrated it as a religious holiday. But the parts we celebrate with really didn't have anything to do with religion, or at least not specifically Christianity. We just did the tree, gift giving, feasting and gatherings.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Baconbits2004

How would that cause trouble?toast_burner

I was referring mostly to family members/close friends that are religious.

The times I have said that I am not religious have ended quite badly. They get quite distressed over it.
Example: when I was 16-17 I said that I didn't want to pray over something, because I didn't believe that prayers did anything.
The reaction was so bad that I was nearly kicked out. :/

On the other hand if I just say "alright" and go along with it, they don't get stressed over it.

Addendum: the thought of not believing gets them quite upset, because that leads them to thinking I'm not going to meet up with them in heaven.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Nope. I just use it to spend time with family and eat large meals.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I am a christian and i DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISMAS, WHY? BECAUSE ITS PAGAN HOLIDAY ORIGINATED LONG AGO, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH Jesus Christ birth.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

This 2 minute clip shows what of Christmas I do celebrate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

because that leads them to thinking I'm not going to meet up with them in heaven.

Baconbits2004
just tell them that even if you go to heaven you're gonna ignore them
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Baconbits2004

just tell them that even if you go to heaven you're gonna ignore themJandurin

lmao.

I'd have probably lost a tooth or two if I said that. >:

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
I celebrate Festivus with some holiday pole dancing
Avatar image for deactivated-59913425220eb
deactivated-59913425220eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-59913425220eb
Member since 2002 • 1772 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I know exactly why they picked the same date...hence my analogy above. Or didn't you read it?

LJS9502_basic

You really didn't read my analogy did you?

I think many people are missing the point when they start argueing about which day Jesus was actually born. To me Christmas is a religious holiday for it is the day that Jesus Christ was born. I think people are forgetting that Jesus was born as God incarnate to become like us to breathe like us to eat like us to feel pain and the hatred of other people like us. He brought himself down on our level in order to save us from the corrupting nature of sin and for us to have a personal relationship with God. Mindstorm's 2 minute clip is a good explanation of it.

Knowing this and arguing about which day Jesus was actually born is quite silly, who gives a hoot lol. So stop argueing about the damn day and just focus on what matters.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
Yes, I do. And if the "date" was originally "stolen" from the Pagans as a means to convert, the message of the holiday is still the same. :?
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh goody anecdotal evidence. Going to a "prestigious" school doesn't actually mean one is highly educated nor pretty informed. First in regard to this specific issue one would have had to study a specific course. Studying English lit at a "prestigious" school does not mean one is informed in the dynamics of war nor the history. Second.....grades do vary even in a "prestigious" (yet still unnamed school)....meaning a D student could attend such a school but not gain much knowledge.

93% of wars/deaths had nothing to do with religion. So maybe you should not be so quick to say religion is the major cause of wars. My point...anecdotal evidence isn't worth much. Prep school seriously? I thought we'd be talking about more than secondary education.

there you go assuming again. i never said "major" i said there would be less wars. which is true. idk why you're panties are all in a bunch. but you should really get off that high horse before you get knocked off.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pygmahia5"] Keith Country Day School is the one. and yes, i know of some kids that went there that were D students lol. only like 3 though. whats your point with this though? that religion isn't a factor in wars/deaths? because it is. pygmahia5

there you go assuming again. i never said "major" i said there would be less wars. which is true. idk why you're panties are all in a bunch. but you should really get off that high horse before you get knocked off.

If religion weren't involved, I bet you a lot those wars would've happened anyway for other reasons. People love to fight...
Avatar image for zeroking420_666
zeroking420_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 zeroking420_666
Member since 2004 • 1009 Posts

nope Christmas is not a religious holiday its been proven that Jesus wasn't born in December so why should I celebrate the winter solstice . btw that wasn't a question I was asking lol...

Tokugawa77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 Tokugawa77
Member since 2009 • 1554 Posts
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]93% of wars/deaths had nothing to do with religion. So maybe you should not be so quick to say religion is the major cause of wars. My point...anecdotal evidence isn't worth much. Prep school seriously? I thought we'd be talking about more than secondary education. the_plan_man

If religion weren't involved, I bet you a lot those wars would've happened anyway for other reasons. People love to fight...

Oh my god- not this again. I'd just let it go and not get sucked into this argument again. On topic- I really didn't know that Christmas was even remotely related to Christianity until middle school. It really has turned into the "default" western holiday, whcih almost everyone celebrates unless you are Jewish, Muslim, or "straight off the boat" from a non-western part of the world.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts

Example: when I was 16-17 I said that I didn't want to pray over something, because I didn't believe that prayers did anything. The reaction was so bad that I was nearly kicked out. :/Baconbits2004

What the f*ck?

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
Yes, I do. And if the "date" was originally "stolen" from the Pagans as a means to convert, the message of the holiday is still the same. :?the_plan_man
Buy lots of stuff?
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
If by feasting, drinking, celebrating the new year and spending time with family somehow fulfills some kind of pagan religious rite... then yes, I do.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

No I do not.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Baconbits2004

What the f*ck?

Just-Breathe

Not even joking/exaggerating. The words "if you're going to be in my house, you're going to be a christian, and christians pray" were used. Quite loudly.

It's one of the few things I actually feel the need to lie about. Which I find kind of ironic.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
That's a negative.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]What the f*ck?

Baconbits2004

Not even joking/exaggerating. The words "if you're going to be in my house, you're going to be a christian, and christians pray" were used. Quite loudly.

It's one of the few things I actually feel the need to lie about. Which I find kind of ironic.

That is one thing I dislike about certain Christians. How Christian is it to actually force a person to practice Christianity? You can evangelize and teach, and I think you should, but to actually force someone to follow Christianity is wrong IMO. If someone doesn't believe "forcing" them to do so isn't going to make them. There might quite possibly be less hatred towards Christianity if people practiced Charity like the religion teaches.
MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

See this is why I love the Uk..... we don't care about God anymore, it's awesome!

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#86 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

Maybe at one point in my life, but baby jesus stopped showing up, so we stopped sending him cards.

RisethNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 RisethNameless
Member since 2011 • 922 Posts

Not as the religion it was intended for.
Being a LaVeyan Satanist I celebrate it so I get free stuff and enjoy myself

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Baconbits2004"]

[QUOTE="Just-Breathe"]What the f*ck?

That is one thing I dislike about certain Christians. How Christian is it to actually force a person to practice Christianity? You can evangelize and teach, and I think you should, but to actually force someone to follow Christianity is wrong IMO. If someone doesn't believe "forcing" them to do so isn't going to make them. There might quite possibly be less hatred towards Christianity if people practiced Charity like the religion teaches.

In terms of the teaching of Christianity? Not at all Christian. In terms of history? Very Christian.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts

See this is why I love the Uk..... we don't care about God anymore, it's awesome!

MattDistillery
We'll burn in hell first ;) I'm not a Christian so I don't celebrate the religious aspect, and I don't know many people who do really. But I see nothing wrong with this, it's mostly traditional anyway. People are free to celebrate/mark it as they wish, even choose to ignore it. The reason for the loss of the religious aspect is partly because heavy tradition tends to stick around even after the meaning may be less relevant to people. We celebrate Guy Fawkes Night here, but few people care much for the origin. We know the story, but it's not why we set off fireworks. It's even argued that it wasn't a Christian festival before anyway, but I feel that's irrelevant given that the current model of Christmas stems from Christianity.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 the_plan_man

RisethNameless

Is that you Senor-Dweller?

Mephers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Mephers3
Member since 2011 • 164 Posts

Yeap, people in this country are ungrateful, They owe Christianity alot

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#92 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I just get together with my family and have a good time. Food, family, and fun. While this may offend lots of nonreligous people, we do it in the privacy of our homes. I myself am not a religous person, but I still like the holiday. Probably because I'm not an jackass.

ScottMescudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ScottMescudi
Member since 2011 • 1550 Posts

Yup because it is a religious day to Christians.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Yeap, people in this country are ungrateful, They owe Christianity alotMephers3
What do they owe? Blood? Money? Service time?
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Yup.
RisethNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 RisethNameless
Member since 2011 • 922 Posts

[QUOTE="RisethNameless"]

the_plan_man

Is that you Senor-Dweller?

I have no idea what that means

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#97 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i say my 40psalms and go on a shooting spree, because i want to give credence to the views found in OT

surrealnumber5
i literally lol'd :P
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Christmas is a good holiday because it's flexible enough to be whatever you want it to be.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#99 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

No, especially since I'm eating ribs on christmas. Screw tradition. :P