Do You Believe Jesus Christ Rose From The Dead? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1301 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
No. It's not logical. This thread makes me want to puke. I hate OT...
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#1302 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
I honestly don't know.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1303 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Yes I do.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1304 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

A belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a foundation of Christianity. It is an important foundation in a way of life in Christ. It cannot just be separated out from other important aspects of Christian living such as obedience to Christ's teachings. As God's Word tells us, belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is foundational toour to salvation in Him. The following verses clearly reveal that.

Rom 10:8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Rom 10:9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Some question why the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is important. In dying on the cross, Jesus became sin for those that repent and place their faith and trust in Him as their Lord and Savoir. He paid the price that must be paid for sin. He became a propitiation, a substitute for His followers. He paid the price we deserve to pay. His finished work on the cross satisfied the Father's wrath against sin. In arising, He defeated death and fulfilled His prophecy that He would die and then arise in victory over death. In arising, He provided the final proof to the world, to the cynics and skeptics, that He was God incarnate and that His Word is the truth.

1Co 15:55O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

1Co 15:56The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

1Co 15:57But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 15:58Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Over the centuries, there have been those that cling to the belief, even hope, that Jesus did not rise from the dead, for if Jesus arose from the dead, that is absolute proof that He is God and His Word must be obeyed. Every very speculation one can imagine has been put forth as to why the tomb was empty, which no one, even the Jewish authorities and the Roman guards, deny. One popular denial, and easily discounted is that the Apostles stole the body. A two-ton stone covered the tomb entrance. It was sealed. A unit of four to twelve Roman soldiers guarded it. The penalty for dereliction of duty by a Roman soldier under Roman law was death. It is therefore unreasonable to accept that a frightened, dispersed, and in hiding, group of Apostles formulated a plan to steal the body and somehow overpowered the Roman guards, moved a two-ton stone, and stole the body. Remember, the Apostles were crushed and dejected after witnessing the crucifixion of their Master. Even when told of that Christ had arisen, some of the Apostles did not believe it until they saw and experienced the resurrected Christ.

In 1 Co 15, Paul recounts the many eyewitnesses that saw the resurrected Christ.

1Co 15:1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1Co 15:2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1Co 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;

1Co 15:4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures:

1Co 15:5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

1Co 15:6After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

1Co 15:7After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.

1Co 15:8And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

1Co 15:9For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Those that believe or hold hope that Christ did not arise try to discount this testimony.The vast majority of Biblical scholars believe that the above verses are the earliest creed of the early Church.They accept that this creed, recorded in 1 Co, the book which is believed to be written in 54AD, was accepted by the early Church, was based on the Apostles' oral teachings, and dates to 2-8 years after the resurrection. This creed is significant in that in addition to the numerous eyewitnesses it lists, it acknowledges two formerly hostile witnesses, Paul and James that were non-believers until they personally saw and experienced the resurrected Christ.

Finally, those that believe or cling to the hope that Jesus did not arise from the dead attempt to discount the reasons for the rapid spread of Christianity. We must remember the setting.After witnessing the death of their Messiah, the Apostle were crushed, dispersed, and in hiding. They had just witnessed the death of their Master, crucified in Jerusalem. Just a short time later, after seeing and experiencing the risen Christ, after Pentecost where they were filled with the Holy Spirit, they were suddenly transformed and began boldly preaching the resurrection in the very same city, Jerusalem, where Christ was crucified. They refused to stop, even when ordered to by the Jewish authorities. They were thrown in prison for their preaching of the Gospel. When ordered to cease, they continued, knowing full well that they could suffer the same fate as Jesus, yet they had no fear. Why? Because they had seen the resurrected Christ and were convinced that His Word was truth. They no longer feared death.

Those that deny the resurrection would have us to believe that the Apostles made it all up or were deceived. The boldness of the early Christians can not be so easily discounted. There is no reasonable explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith. The only reasonable explanation is that they saw and experienced the resurrected Christ.

Act 5:27And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,

Act 5:28Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Act 5:29Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Act 5:30The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

Act 5:31Him hath God exalted with his right hand tobe a Prince and a Savior, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Act 5:32And we are his witnesses of these things; and sois also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Act 5:33When they heard that, they were cut totheheart, and took counsel to slay them.

When one reasonably considers these facts, without a preconceived belief or hope that Christ did not arise, the reasonable explanation is the truth that Christ is risen. Some may not like that and they will continue to reject and discount the testimony of the nine New Testament authors that believed and testified that Christ arose. I once again ask those that deny the resurrection to provide the written historical evidence from authors of the period that dispute the resurrection of Christ, rather than just continuing to put forth their personal opinions and speculations that Christ did not arise. There are nine witnesses for the truth of Christ's resurrection that have recorded their testimony and were wiling to give their lives, and in many cases did, for what they knew to be true. So far, those that dispute the resurrection have brought forth no authors from the period that dispute the resurrection, thus the score stands at 9 for the resurrection, 0 that dispute it.

Psa 118:8Itis better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1305 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Okay, who did this? Own up :lol:

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1306 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
A belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a foundation of Christianity. It is an important foundation in a way of life in Christ. It cannot just be separated out from other important aspects of Christian living such as obedience to Christ's teachings. As God's Word tells us, belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is foundational toour to salvation in Him. blackregiment
Tell that to Unitarians...let me guess, "they aren't real Christians".
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1307 RadBooley
Member since 2008 • 1237 Posts

Okay, who did this? Own up :lol:

Funky_Llama

Wow. That is exceedingly awesome (and so, so true).

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1308 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]A belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a foundation of Christianity. It is an important foundation in a way of life in Christ. It cannot just be separated out from other important aspects of Christian living such as obedience to Christ's teachings. As God's Word tells us, belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is foundational toour to salvation in Him. -Sun_Tzu-

I cannot speak for others. God gives each of us a free will to believe whatever we want. As followers of Christ, it is important that our beliefs conform to God's revealed Word. This is what the word of God says...

Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

As I mentioned, we are free to believe whatever we choose but I think God's Word is very clear that belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is an integral part of His plan of redemption in Christ.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1309 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

lol no

RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1310 RadBooley

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]A belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a foundation of Christianity. It is an important foundation in a way of life in Christ. It cannot just be separated out from other important aspects of Christian living such as obedience to Christ's teachings. As God's Word tells us, belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is foundational toour to salvation in Him. blackregiment

I cannot speak for others. God gives each of us a free will to believe whatever we want. As followers of Christ, it is important that our beliefs conform to God's revealed Word. This is what the word of God says...

Rom 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

As I mentioned, we are free to believe whatever we choose but I think God's Word is very clear that belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is an integral part of His plan of redemption in Christ.

I still don't get why you're so convinced that Christianity is the only religion out there that has merit. Sure, the Bible may say so, but no religion is going to have a holy text that recognizes the legitimacy of other beliefs.

I just feel that believing in something without question, then claiming all other beliefs to be false, is a dangerous way to live.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1311 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]A belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a foundation of Christianity. It is an important foundation in a way of life in Christ. It cannot just be separated out from other important aspects of Christian living such as obedience to Christ's teachings. As God's Word tells us, belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ is foundational toour to salvation in Him. blackregiment

And Unitarians would reply by saying that although the Bible is inspired by God's word, it was still written by man, and because of that it is inherently impossible for the Bible to be infallible, due to human error.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1312 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Tell that to Unitarians...let me guess, "they aren't real Christians".-Sun_Tzu-

And Unitarians would reply by saying that although the Bible is inspired by God's word, it was still written by man, and because of that it is inherently impossible for the Bible to be infallible, due to human error.

And I woud reply that the fact that man is fallible, the he has the potential for error, does not necessitate that they do error in all that they do. The New Testament authors wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. An all powerful God, the Creator of the universe and everything in it, certainly has the power to insure that His Word is recorded without error, even by fallible man. If one worships a god that is not powerful enough to preserve his word, then that is not a very powerful god, and certainly not the God of the Bible.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psa 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Power_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1313 Power_47
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

And I woud reply that the fact that man is fallible, the he has the potential for error, does not necessitate that they do error in all that they do. The New Testament authors wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. An all powerful God, the Creator of the universe and everything in it, certainly has the power to insure that His Word is recorded without error, even by fallible man. If one worships a god that is not powerful enough to preserve his word, then that is not a very powerful god, and certainly not the God of the Bible.

Psa 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psa 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Oh so according to the bible, the bible was written by men influenced by the holy spirit wow I guess thats undeniable proof :roll:

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1314 -Sun_Tzu-
If one worships a god that is not powerful enough to preserve his word, then that is not a very powerful god, and certainly not the God of the Bible.blackregiment
I think it is pretty straightforward that by not believing that the bible is infallible that you do not accept God exactly as the bible depicts him. And using your logic regarding the fallibility of man; God may have the potential power to insure that his word is recorded without error, but that does not necessitate that everything he inspires and creates is infallible. God created man, and you yourself admit that man, a being that he created in his own image, is fallible, so it would not be the first time that God created something that was imperfect.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1315 blackregiment

God created man, and you yourself admit that man, a being that he created in his own image, is fallible, so it would not be the first time that God created something that was imperfect. -Sun_Tzu-

God is infallible. When God created man in His image he was created good. God created man with a free will to choose to obey Him or disobey Him. God did not cause man to disobey Him. Man was deceived by satan and listened to him rather than obey God. That is when man fell and became separated in sin from God.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1316 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]God created man, and you yourself admit that man, a being that he created in his own image, is fallible, so it would not be the first time that God created something that was imperfect. blackregiment

God is infallible. When God created man in His image he was created good. God created man with a free will to choose to obey Him or disobey Him. God did not cause man to disobey Him. Man was deceived by satan and listened to him rather than obey God. That is when man fell and became separated in sin from God.

The same can be said about the bible. Maybe the bible was, for all intents and purposes, perfect when it was originally conceived, but because God gave man free will, man corrupted God's word.
Franco-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1317 Franco-J
Member since 2003 • 1435 Posts

I dont believe in any of the religious stuff. I believe in science

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1318 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]God created man, and you yourself admit that man, a being that he created in his own image, is fallible, so it would not be the first time that God created something that was imperfect. -Sun_Tzu-

The same can be said about the bible. Maybe the bible was, for all intents and purposes, perfect when it was originally conceived, but because God gave man free will, man corrupted God's word.

The only problem with that speculation is that the manuscript evidence for the New Testament is far superior to that of any other ancient writing. If one attempts to reject the accuracy of the New Testament based on the body of manuscript evidence, then that logic demands that they reject all other ancient writings as well. The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be around 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine. In fact, the entire New Testament, with the exception of about a dozen verses can be reconstructed from the writings of the early Church fathers alone.

"There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.2"

"...there are thousands more New Testament Greek manuscripts than any other ancient writing. The internal consistency of the New Testament documents is about 99.5% textually pure. That is an amazing accuracy. In addition there are over 19,000 in copies in the Syriac, Latin, Coptic, and Aramaic languages. The total supporting New Testament manuscript base is over 24,000."

http://www.carm.org/questions/about-bible/manuscript-evidence-superior-new-testament-reliability

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1319 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Tell that to Unitarians...let me guess, "they aren't real Christians".RadBooley

I just feel that believing in something without question, then claiming all other beliefs to be false, is a dangerous way to live.

Oh really. So living in obedience to the Lord, avoiding things like murder, lying, stealing, adultery, lust, sex before marriage, abuse of alcohol and drugs, dishonoring one's parents, all while seeking to do good works in service to the Lord such as helping the less fortunate is "a dangerous way to live".

Since when?

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#1320 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be arouf 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine.

blackregiment

I wouldn't say that. As I've pointed out before, a difference in punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence. GabuEx made this point in the previous thread about Luke 23:43:

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise. (NIV)

In the current structure, Jesus is saying that he and the criminal would be in paradise that day. However, if the comma is moved to the right, making the sentence say "I tell you the truth today, you will be with me in paradise", it would mean something different, no? Jesus would be saying that they would be in paradise later, but he is telling him this today. Since you say that the differences are spelling and punctuation, then there is a possibility that this comma is misplaced. So, yes, punctuation can affect Christian doctrine.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1321 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts

Please let me know if any of the following statements are untrue.

Books are written by people. People are not perfect. The Bible is a book.

I'll let you make your own extrapolations from there.

Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1322 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

The problem with non believers is that they put too much thought into this. Not everything in the world can be proved with science and logic. Some things are just out of the ordinary. Like Jesus rising from the dead.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1323 Funky_Llama

The problem with non believers is that they put too much thought into this. Not everything in the world can be proved with science and logic. Some things are just out of the ordinary. Like Jesus rising from the dead.

Hungry_Jello
Presupposing that Jesus rose from the dead in a debate about whether Jesus rose from the dead is just... **** it, I can't even be bothered.
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1324 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

[QUOTE="Hungry_Jello"]

Funky_Llama

Presupposing that Jesus rose from the dead in a debate about whether Jesus rose from the dead is just... **** it, I can't even be bothered.

Go ahead llama. Let your feelings out. Were all friends here.

Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1325 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts
No. As the old saying goes, "Don't believe everything you read."SpaceMoose
How ironic.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1326 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be around 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine.blackregiment
Then do you mind explaining to me how in a Spanish Bible, Leviticus 18:22 translates as "Do not tell lies to man or woman, for its a Sin," whereas in an English Bible the same verse translates as "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination"?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1327 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

The only problem with that speculation is that the manuscript evidence for the New Testament is far superior to that of any other ancient writing. If one attempts to reject the accuracy of the New Testament based on the body of manuscript evidence, then that logic demands that they reject all other ancient writings as well. The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be around 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine. In fact, the entire New Testament, with the exception of about a dozen verses can be reconstructed from the writings of the early Church fathers alone.

"There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.2"

"...there are thousands more New Testament Greek manuscripts than any other ancient writing. The internal consistency of the New Testament documents is about 99.5% textually pure. That is an amazing accuracy. In addition there are over 19,000 in copies in the Syriac, Latin, Coptic, and Aramaic languages. The total supporting New Testament manuscript base is over 24,000."

http://www.carm.org/questions/about-bible/manuscript-evidence-superior-new-testament-reliability

I'm not rejecting its accuracy (although I do not believe it to be as accurate as you claim), I'm saying that just because it was inspired by God that doesn't mean that it is infallible. Anything written by man is susceptible to error.

Taegukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1328 Taegukki
Member since 2005 • 13241 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be around 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine.scorch-62
Then do you mind explaining to me how in a Spanish Bible, Leviticus 18:22 translates as "Do not tell lies to man or woman, for its a Sin," whereas in an English Bible the same verse translates as "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination"?

The Spanish version was translated incorrectly. The NIV (New International Version) Bible is the most accurate out of all translations and is closest to the original Greek manuscripts. Leviticus 18:22 (New International Version) 22 " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
RadBooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1329 RadBooley

[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

blackregiment

Oh really. So living in obedience to the Lord, avoiding things like murder, lying, stealing, adultery, lust, sex before marriage, abuse of alcohol and drugs, dishonoring one's parents, all while seeking to do good works in service to the Lord such as helping the less fortunate is "a dangerous way to live".

Since when?

If this thread was out there advocating that people not murder, lie, steal, cheat, or any of that, there wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, the fact that this thread has over 1,300 posts tells you that's not what the discussion is about.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1330 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Hungry_Jello

So we should just remain voluntarily ignorant and not ask questions and seek answers for those questions? Without asking questions about natural phenomena, we wouldn't have modern medicine and technology.

If not everything can be proven with science and logic, then why must God and the supernatural be the answer?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1331 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="RadBooley"]

RadBooley

Since when?

If this thread was out there advocating that people not murder, lie, steal, cheat, or any of that, there wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately, the fact that this thread has over 1,300 posts tells you that's not what the discussion is about.

Oh I see, so it is not Christian living that you consider "a dangerous way to live". Since you now bring up the thread are you suggesting that threads about Christianity are "a dangerous way to live"? I really don't know what you mean when you refer to "a dangerous way to live". Can you please clarify?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1333 Crushmaster
Member since 2008 • 4324 Posts

I'm not rejecting its accuracy (although I do not believe it to be as accurate as you claim), I'm saying that just because it was inspired by God that doesn't mean that it is infallible. Anything written by man is susceptible to error. -Sun_Tzu-

You believe the New Testament is inspired by God? Why don't you believe Jesus was the Christ, then, and that He rose from the dead?
Or am I misunderstanding something?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1334 Crushmaster

I just feel that believing in something without question, then claiming all other beliefs to be false, is a dangerous way to live.RadBooley

Out of curiosity...do you believe without question that Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead, and that anyone who believes otherwise is wrong?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1335 Crushmaster

Then do you mind explaining to me how in a Spanish Bible, Leviticus 18:22 translates as "Do not tell lies to man or woman, for its a Sin," whereas in an English Bible the same verse translates as "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination"?scorch-62

Sometimes things can change somewhat from language-to-language. For example, let's say I take the KJV and translate it into Japanese. It's not going to be the same, for lack of a better word, being their language is more complex.

Furthermore, it is quite clear that it's a bad thing either way, as the Lord hates sin.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1336 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Why is it that every time I think this thread is finally dead, someone bumps it? :cry:
FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1337 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

Why is it that every time I think this thread is finally dead, someone bumps it? :cry:chessmaster1989

I cry also.. (That's really just a cover to allow me to create post 1337).

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1338 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="scorch-62"] Then do you mind explaining to me how in a Spanish Bible, Leviticus 18:22 translates as "Do not tell lies to man or woman, for its a Sin," whereas in an English Bible the same verse translates as "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination"?Crushmaster

Sometimes things can change somewhat from language-to-language. For example, let's say I take the KJV and translate it into Japanese. It's not going to be the same, for lack of a better word, being their language is more complex.

Furthermore, it is quite clear that it's a bad thing either way, as the Lord hates sin.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.

That what is a bad thing either way?

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1339 Dariency

I guess you didn't think of all those questions two days ago, right Crushmaster?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1340 blackregiment

[QUOTE="RadBooley"] I just feel that believing in something without question, then claiming all other beliefs to be false, is a dangerous way to live.Crushmaster

Out of curiosity...do you believe without question that Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead, and that anyone who believes otherwise is wrong?

I am still waiting on an answer as to why he feels following Christ is a "dangerous way to live."

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1341 blackregiment

Why is it that every time I think this thread is finally dead, someone bumps it? :cry:chessmaster1989

Why do threads in which there is religious discussion seem to trouble you?

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1342 Crushmaster

Didn't you just bump it?

If you're going to post, you should try and make a comment or something.:)

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1343 blackregiment

[QUOTE="scorch-62"] Then do you mind explaining to me how in a Spanish Bible, Leviticus 18:22 translates as "Do not tell lies to man or woman, for its a Sin," whereas in an English Bible the same verse translates as "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination"?Crushmaster

In Christ,
Crushmaster.

Personally, I would like to see some evidence that this alleged Spanish Bible actually says this.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1344 Crushmaster

That what is a bad thing either way? Funky_Llama

Homosexual behavior, basically. In (one of) the Spanish Bible(s), in Leviticus 22:18 I believe it is, it says "sin" rather than "abomination" like (one of) the English version(s).
I guess you didn't think of all those questions two days ago, right Crushmaster? dog64

Well, I am usually able to get onto this topic only twice a week, so I have to do it then.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1345 Crushmaster

Personally, I would like to see some evidence that this alleged Spanish Bible actually says this.

blackregiment

I have to agree with you there, particularly due to what the Hebrew word is. Still, it's a possibility.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#1346 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Is this where the idea of zombies comes from? No but really that's just ridiculous lol whoever actually believes everything in a book written so long ago? I believe there was a Jesus Christ but all this magical BS? No...
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1347 Dariency

I am still waiting on an answer as to why he feels following Christ is a "dangerous way to live.

blackregiment

And I'm still waiting on an answer to this:

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

This would require a rational explanation for why the Apostles and early Christians would willingly endure persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? The Apostles and early Christians were stoned, beheaded, boiled in oil, imprisoned, crucified, scourged, fed to lions, clothed in animal skins and then torn apart by wild beasts, tarred and lit on fire, disemboweled, burnt at the stake, etc., rather than recant their faith.

dog64

I find it odd that you repeat this. Christianity isn't the only religion that is persecuted. Many religions worldwide are persecuted. Some religions are banned in some countries, and those religious members have to sneak their ways to have religious gatherings. Even today there are people that are being killed for their religious beliefs, and not just Christians. You also can't forget in past history, where many Jews were tortured and killed under Hitler So, just because people are willing to die for their faith, doesn't make that faith true. If that were the case, then there are many true religions worldwide.

Crushmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1348 Crushmaster

Is this where the idea of zombies comes from? No but really that's just ridiculous lol whoever actually believes everything in a book written so long ago? I believe there was a Jesus Christ but all this magical stuff? No...SoNin360

Magical stuff? The Bible doesn't say anything about "magic" regarding Christ's resurrection. He had the power to lay His life down, and He had the power to take it again. That is perfectly logical, being He was (and is) the Creator ofthe Universe.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1349 blackregiment

Is this where the idea of zombies comes from? No but really that's just ridiculous lol whoever actually believes everything in a book written so long ago? I believe there was a Jesus Christ but all this magical (profanity removed) No...SoNin360

God's revealed truth does not have an expiration date. His Word is eternal.

1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever.
1Pe 1:24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
1Pe 1:25 But the word of the Lord endureth forever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1350 Dariency

I'm also still waiting on an answer to this:

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

The accuracy of the Bible we have today as it relates to the original manuscripts is estimated to be arouf 99.5% with differences mainly spelling and punctuation, nothing that affects important Christian doctrine.

dog64

I wouldn't say that. As I've pointed out before, a difference in punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence. GabuEx made this point in the previous thread about Luke 23:43:

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise. (NIV)

In the current structure, Jesus is saying that he and the criminal would be in paradise that day. However, if the comma is moved to the right, making the sentence say "I tell you the truth today, you will be with me in paradise", it would mean something different, no? Jesus would be saying that they would be in paradise later, but he is telling him this today. Since you say that the differences are spelling and punctuation, then there is a possibility that this comma is misplaced. So, yes, punctuation can affect Christian doctrine.

So, may I have an answer please? :)