Do you believe in the Big Bang Theory?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts

So do you? A Christian priest made up the theory just to let you know.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

yes yes I do.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Yes I do. It makes sense.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
Of course.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
It makes more sense than some other things. And who cares if a priest thought it up. Even if a god did create the world teh big bang theroy still makes sense.
mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
Indeed I do... but I'm quite sure there are many more details about it that we do not yet know.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Yes.
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 super_mario_128
Even if a god did create the world teh big bang theroy still makes sense.mattykovax
Yep. God isn't mutually exclusive to the Big Bang theory, as a lot of people believe...
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Why, yes, I do. It makes sense, and there's some evidence for it around.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
It makes more sense than some other things. And who cares if a priest thought it up. Even if a god did create the world teh big bang theroy still makes sense.mattykovax
Exactly Both sides can use the idea 1. Religion = God said let there be life...and then big bang 2. Science says big bang created universe No way to know for sure...at least till death
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

It makes the most sense out of all the theories out there.

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

mayforcebeyou

His profesion doesnt matter, just that he can back up his theory with evidence.

And yes because he has the most evidence

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

Why does it matter if a Christian preist made up the theory? There is a lot of evidence that shows the Big Bang did in fact occur. Believe it or not some scientists who believe in religion can soemtimes be right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

honestly it sounds as crazy as a single sentient superpower controlling us. Its fun to philosophize about, sure, but when people start believing absolutely in it thats bad. No one knows, after all.

I am perfectly content not knowing why we are here; I just want to have fun with my life.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

Why does it matter if a Christian preist made up the theory? There is a lot of evidence that shows the Big Bang did in fact occur. Believe it or not some scientists who believe in religion can soemtimes be right.

BumFluff122
All scientists can SOMETIMES be right. Part of being a scientist is being wrong a lot of the time.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

honestly it sounds as crazy as a single sentient superpower controlling us. Its fun to philosophize about, sure, but when people start believing absolutely in it thats bad. No one knows, after all.

I am perfectly content not knowing why we are here; I just want to have fun with my life.

mrbojangles25

I pretty much agree with this statement.

I don't really care to know how it all got started. We're here now, might as well make the best of it.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="mattykovax"]Even if a god did create the world teh big bang theroy still makes sense.super_mario_128
Yep. God isn't mutually exclusive to the Big Bang theory, as a lot of people believe...

except the very vocal minority that believe in a 5000-6000 year old earth.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
As of now, it seems to be the most plausible theory.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

I believe in the Big Bang theory as it is presented in the Discworld novels.

A'Tuin was crawling from the Birthplace to the Time of Mating, as were all the stars in the sky which were, obviously, also carried by giant turtles. When they arrived they would briefly and passionately mate, for the first and only time, and from that fiery union new turtles would be born to carry a new pattern of worlds.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#20 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I believe it more or less.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts

i don't really care.....:|

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts
I do... I don't care who come up with it.
Avatar image for clash76-grunger
clash76-grunger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clash76-grunger
Member since 2008 • 1203 Posts
It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge. I don't agree with everything in the Christian religion, like going to church and baptism and confirmation into a church, but I certainly believe that God made everything.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

It sounds kind of... stupid.

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 super_mario_128
It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge. I don't agree with everything in the Christian religion, like going to church and baptism and confirmation into a church, but I certainly believe that God made everything.clash76-grunger
God could have made the Big Bang though. And the Big Bang theory says nothing about an explosion.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Theokhoth

It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge.clash76-grunger

Really? I find both equally ridiculous. Thank goodness there's God and the Big Bang, 'cuz the two things you mentioned were utter nonsense.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

mrbojangles25

It only sounds crazy to those who are unaware of the evidence in its favor. It's not as if some guy was just like "oh I got an idea what if there was a big bang" and then science signed off on that. The expansion ofcelestial bodies away from a pointand the existence of cosmic microwave background radiation are both phenomenally strong pieces of evidence in favor of the idea that the big bang happened.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 twilightpanda

[QUOTE="clash76-grunger"]It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge.Theokhoth

Really? I find both equally ridiculous. Thank goodness there's God and the Big Bang, 'cuz the two things you mentioned were utter nonsense.

is your sig from assassin's creed?
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts
It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge. I don't agree with everything in the Christian religion, like going to church and baptism and confirmation into a church, but I certainly believe that God made everything.clash76-grunger
Since you put it that way... Wouldn't life in general being very hard to believe? (about the big explosion)
joao_22990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 joao_22990
Member since 2007 • 2230 Posts
Believe? It's not like it makes a difference, right? Who am i to say if the universe is this or that way? All i want to know is what is true, and the Big Bang seems to explain a lot, so i suppose it's enough for now.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="clash76-grunger"]It's harder to believe a big explosion made multiple beings perfectly compatible with one another, able to reproduce, and an enviroment by which they could survive in the best possible way, than it is to believe that a big man in the sky that we can't see made everything with his infinite knowledge.twilightpanda

Nope. It's from Assassin's Creed 2.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 twilightpanda
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="twilightpanda"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Nope. It's from Assassin's Creed 2.

ohhh ok :D just wanted to know thanks for telling me
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

rawsavon

All scientists can SOMETIMES be right. Part of being a scientist is being wrong a lot of the time.

That was ezactly my point.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BumFluff122

A big explosion did not make that. Nor did a big explosion make anything. It wasn't an explosion ragrdless of what its called (I believe the name was actually made popular by Christians wantign to speak badly about the theory.) Nothing was made durign the big bang. All the matter in the universe was condensed and exp[anded out. That is all the big bang theory states. There are many other forces at work as well such as gravity, the strong force, the weak force, the nuclear force, etc... It was not just due to 'an explosion'.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Yes, absolutely.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

mayforcebeyou

He didn't "make up" the theory he proposed a hypothesis based on a lot of evidence. Also intelligent people don't "believe" in theories they just agree with the presented evidence until there's evidence that proves it wrong. A theory is an idea of a probable cause of events, to believe is to have firm conviction.

Personally I don't like the big bang theory, nor darwin's evolutionary theory, but they are theories w/ the best evidence.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="mayforcebeyou"]

jrhawk42

He didn't "make up" the theory he proposed a hypothesis based on a lot of evidence. Also intelligent people don't "believe" in theories they just agree with the presented evidence until there's evidence that proves it wrong. A theory is an idea of a probable cause of events, to believe is to have firm conviction.

Personally I don't like the big bang theory, nor darwin's evolutionary theory, but they are theories w/ the best evidence.

What's wrong with evolutionary theory?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

GabuEx

It only sounds crazy to those who are unaware of the evidence in its favor. It's not as if some guy was just like "oh I got an idea what if there was a big bang" and then science signed off on that. The expansion ofcelestial bodies away from a pointand the existence of cosmic microwave background radiation are both phenomenally strong pieces of evidence in favor of the idea that the big bang happened.

yes, but it is still a theory.

I admit "crazy" was too strong a word. What I meant to say is no one 100% sure, and all we have are ideas, concepts, and theories grounded by reality yet proven by nothing.

I mean, c'mon, its called the big bang but was the size of a grapefruit at the start! Whats the deal with that! :P

Also I am still waiting for the Trafalmadorians to show up and blow up the universe...again

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BumFluff122

yes, but it is still a theory.

I admit "crazy" was too strong a word. What I meant to say is no one 100% sure, and all we have are ideas, concepts, and theories grounded by reality yet proven by nothing.

I mean, c'mon, its called the big bang but was the size of a grapefruit at the start! Whats the deal with that! :P

Also I am still waiting for the Trafalmadorians to show up and blow up the universe...again

mrbojangles25

The term 'Big Bang' was coined by religious believers attempting to make fun of the theory. And nothing is science is 100% certain.

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts

mayforcebeyou
Even if that was true, it doesnt matter except on the level of how a christian could even try to rationalize the big bang and his biblical bias coexisting. I also believe that its likely to be true.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
It accounts for a number of observed characteristics of the large scale structure of the universe, particularly the apparent uniformity of the cosmic background radiation and the consistency of Hubble's Law. Pending a major problem with the theory or a better model, yeah, I'm comfortable with the inflationary form of the theory.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Theokhoth

The term 'Big Bang' was coined by religious believers attempting to make fun of the theory.

BumFluff122

No it wasn't, or the term wouldn't be the name of the theory.

And it was atheists that mocked the idea of the Big Bang originally, because they viewed it as a religious ploy.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="mayforcebeyou"]

Free_Marxet

Even if that was true

You say "even if that was true" as though it wasn't.

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
No, I don't believe in it, I accept that it's the best explanation we have so far...
Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"][QUOTE="mayforcebeyou"]

Theokhoth

Even if that was true

I dont know who discovered the big bang theory, which is why I said so with uncertainty. Dont be so polarizing.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"] Even if that was trueFree_Marxet

I dont know who discovered the big bang theory, which is why I said so with uncertainty. Dont be so polarizing.

The statement, "even if that was true," heavily implies that the subject is not true.

Don't be so vague.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"] Even if that was trueFree_Marxet

"even if that was true" implies it was false...
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

The term 'Big Bang' was coined by religious believers attempting to make fun of the theory.

Theokhoth

No it wasn't, or the term wouldn't be the name of the theory.

And it was atheists that mocked the idea of the Big Bang originally, because they viewed it as a religious ploy.

Now that I look into it you are correct. Reagrdless it was not a 'big bang' but more an expansion from a central point. I'm not too familiar with the mathematics behind it but I do know that the term 'Big Bang' doesn't really describe what occurred.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

mfp16

"even if that was true" implies it was false...

No it does not. The term can mean that but not only that. 'Even if that were true' coudl mean "I don't knwo if it's true or nto but even if it was true then...."