Did Jesus Christ Sin? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#201 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

I don't tend to associate damning your enemy eternally with love, nor do I consider eternal damnation a blessing. And I certainly don't consider it doing good to those that hate you. See, it's a really nice thought. We are commanded to live by that principle. But God? Oh no. He gets to SLAUGHTER His enemy. He gets to exact some GOOD, RIGHTEOUS PAYBACK on those who curse him or hate him... as opposed to doing exactly what we're supposed to do to those who hate us or curse us. That's what I mean when I say God is playing by His own set of rules. And if He gets to hate and damn where we must forgive and turn the other cheek... it's not equitable, not fair.

As for 5:46 - Most Bible believers will claim that God DOES love the souls He casts into Hell, but we both know that wrath and the imposition of eternal torture as punishment for disobedience are the very antithesis of love. So if we are to believe this verse, Jesus ironically demonstrates that God is no better than the 'fallen' publicans when it comes to love and forgiveness.

So that's the problem. These are good notions to which the turn and burn God does not ascribe, despite demanding that we do.

pianist

Ahhh, I see what you're saying.

Well, I don't believe that the Bible, in its original form, said that God sends people to eternal damnation... but yeah, those who do certainly would have to justify such a thing, although you've given precisely the argument that one tends to use.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

pianist wins again. Why must thou be so smrt? :o And I wish that they would stop trying to turn us, I mean, how many have they turned with this kind of LONG reads?Deihjan

They're not trying to turn us. They frankly don't care if they convert anyone. Do a little reading up on them and you'll quickly find that they're just looking out for themselves by submitting to the Lord through spreading the "good news" as they are commanded by the Bible. They couldn't care less if they're breaking GS's anti-advertising rules or driving people away from Christianity with their presentation of their viewpoints. In fact, they revel in the negative attention they receive, viewing it as just more proof that they're doing the Lord's work and will be rewarded in Heaven.

It's just... PAINFULLY clear that the union's mission is in no way designed to create discussion. Its mission is to advertise Christianity, nothing more. If its product weren't religion, the CWU would have been shut down long ago.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Well, I don't believe that the Bible, in its original form, said that God sends people to eternal damnation... but yeah, those who do certainly would have to justify such a thing, although you've given precisely the argument that one tends to use.

GabuEx

I know, Gabu. You need not address my concerns, because you obviously believe in a very different sort of God - one that does actually "love His enemies."

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#205 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

pianist

I know, Gabu. You need not address my concerns, because you obviously believe in a very different sort of God - one that does actually "love His enemies."

Rightio, carry on then. :P

Stumpt25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#206 Stumpt25
Member since 2006 • 1482 Posts
This question is best answered like this: Sin is defined as an immoral act considered to be a offensive against divine law. If Jesus was God embodied in man -- then it is impossible for him to sin, because he cannot offend himself. If Jesus was not God's son -- then he by definition is a sinner, as he was a blasphemer. and if God does not exist -- Jesus cannot by definition be called a sinner, because it is impossible to offend something that doesn't exist. Once you have decided whether Jesus is God's son, isn't God's son, or God doesn't exist at all -- you've answered the question.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#207 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

This question is best answered like this: Sin is defined as an immoral act considered to be a offensive against divine law. If Jesus was God embodied in man -- then it is impossible for him to sin, because he cannot offend himself. If Jesus was not God's son -- then he by definition is a sinner, as he was a blasphemer. and if God does not exist -- Jesus cannot by definition be called a sinner, because it is impossible to offend something that doesn't exist. Once you have decided whether Jesus is God's son, isn't God's son, or God doesn't exist at all -- you've answered the question.Stumpt25

Jesus can exist without a God... he'd just be a normal person with some crazy ideas about love and brotherhood.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Well he didn't exist in the literal sense but the character in the stories did sin quite a bit just like any other human :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
We know nothing about him, except from what the Bible says, so I can't answer your question.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Yes, I think he did.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#213 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I don't believe He did.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#214 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Well his wife was a prostitute so i would think so.

BumFluff122

You telling me his wife was a hooker?! then what kind of son of God was that?! after hearing that, how am I gonna respect the man?!.... that kind of man is no son of God.

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

Well his wife was a prostitute so i would think so.

Dogswithguns

You telling me his wife was a hooker?! then what kind of son of God was that?! after hearing that, how am I gonna respect the man?!.... that kind of man is no son of God.

Get over yourself, there are worse things you can do than marry a hooker, plus if he did exist he was a very nice bloke.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]pianist wins again. Why must thou be so smrt? :o And I wish that they would stop trying to turn us, I mean, how many have they turned with this kind of LONG reads?pianist

They're not trying to turn us. They frankly don't care if they convert anyone. Do a little reading up on them and you'll quickly find that they're just looking out for themselves by submitting to the Lord through spreading the "good news" as they are commanded by the Bible. They couldn't care less if they're breaking GS's anti-advertising rules or driving people away from Christianity with their abrasive presentation of their viewpoints. In fact, they revel in the negative attention they receive, viewing it as just more proof that they're doing the Lord's work and will be rewarded in Heaven.

It's just... PAINFULLY clear that the union's mission is in no way designed to create discussion. Its mission is to advertise Christianity, nothing more. If its product weren't religion, the CWU would have been shut down long ago.

While I do not accept a single one of the premises you put forth in your "advertisement" against the CWU and why we discuss and defend our faith, I must admit, that your comments were an excellent example of another form of "advertisement". I do respect your right however, to "advertise' your opinions and beliefs regarding the CWU and our members.

One puzzling thing however is this. I could not help but notice that many of your comments implied that you somehow posessed an intimate knowledge of the intent of our hearts. In reality, no man can know the intent of another man's heart. Only the Lord is omniscient and truly knows the heart of any person.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#217 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]pianist wins again. Why must thou be so smrt? :o And I wish that they would stop trying to turn us, I mean, how many have they turned with this kind of LONG reads?blackregiment

They're not trying to turn us. They frankly don't care if they convert anyone. Do a little reading up on them and you'll quickly find that they're just looking out for themselves by submitting to the Lord through spreading the "good news" as they are commanded by the Bible. They couldn't care less if they're breaking GS's anti-advertising rules or driving people away from Christianity with their abrasive presentation of their viewpoints. In fact, they revel in the negative attention they receive, viewing it as just more proof that they're doing the Lord's work and will be rewarded in Heaven.

While I do not accept a single one of the premises you put forth in your "advertisement" against the CWU and why we discuss and defend our faith, I must admit, that your comments were an excellent example of another form of "advertisement". I do respect your right however, to "advertise' your opinions and beliefs regarding the CWU and our members.

One puzzling thing however is this. I could not help but notice that many of your comments implied that you somehow posessed an intimate knowledge of the intent of our hearts. In reality, no man can know the intent of another man's heart. Only the Lord is omniscient and truly knows the heart of any person.

Yeah? Well, I don't accept a single one of the premises in your advertisment against his advertistment against your advertisment of Christianity :x
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
it's impossible to know because 1. no one is alive today who was alive during the time that jesus lived, and thus no one is a direct witness to any of his actions. 2. there is no formal definition of sin. it depends what religious, philosophical, or etc. system you subscribe to.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]

Funky_Llama

Yeah? Well, I don't accept a single one of the premises in your advertisment against his advertistment against your advertisment of Christianity :x

Reported for advertising.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]

pianist wins again. Why must thou be so smrt? :o And I wish that they would stop trying to turn us, I mean, how many have they turned with this kind of LONG reads?Deihjan

It's not the intent that's so important, it's the effect. If the aim of the CWU is to reinforce anti-Christian sentiment then it's achieving its goal nicely. If it's about understanding non-Christians' way of thinking and trying to help them through difficulties, it's failing. Arguments with many CWU members seem to end up polarising opinions on Christianity in general because people just don't like being preached at and threatened with hell by other humans, whether they're in the right or not.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

domatron23

Reported for advertising, for advertising against my advertisment against blackregiment's advertisment against pianist's advertisment against the CWU's advertisisment. :x [spoiler] Also trolling [/spoiler]

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

No, he most definitely did not sin:

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." - Hebrews 4:15

"Because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth." - 1 Peter 2:21-22

"And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin." - 1 John 3:5

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Yeah? Well, I don't accept a single one of the premises in your advertisment against his advertistment against your advertisment of Christianity :xFunky_Llama

Reported for advertising, for advertising against my advertisment against blackregiment's advertisment against pianist's advertisment against the CWU's advertisisment. :x [spoiler] Also trolling [/spoiler]

Reported for reporting your report of my reporting against your advertising of Pianist's advertising against blackregiment's advertising of the CWU's adverts. Beat that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178887 Posts

There are several answers one could give, but I will give the one you should expect of me: if Jesus truly is a manifestation of God, then God, being omnipotent, can, does, and will sin.

tycoonmike

Er actually the definition of sin is an action that puts distance between an individual and God so that answer is an impossibility.

cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#225 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Caedus"]If he existed, yes he did, he was just a man like any other...

exactly...every man makes mistakes, even if he is the son of God. It cannot be helped it is almost genetically coded.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

Probably, I heard that Mary Magdalene was pretty hot.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LJS9502_basic

*sigh* I don't know why this thread was created because it should be understood that by definition (religious) sin is an action AGAINST GOD.

Thus Jesus being God it is then IMPOSSIBLE for Him to sin against Himself. Thus....He did not sin and this thread was ill conceived from a religious standpoint.

/thread

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." - Hebrews 4:15

"Because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth." - 1 Peter 2:21-22

"And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin." - 1 John 3:5

Lansdowne5

Answer a simple question: did Jesus Christ have a human nature or not?

The problem here for you and all evangelists is that your own definition of sin is what clearly shows that in the equation of sinful behavior and sin, Jesus is a sinner. Why? Because he had feelings. Had you not presented such an extreme definition for sin, there would be no issue but this actually backfired with horrific results for your argumentation.

Has it not occured to you that those verses do not subscribed to YOUR definition of sin (which includes thoughts, impulses or even a zinc of thought in the mind), and it is only speaking of actions which is the right definition of sin.

By deploying the slippery slope fallacy in your arguments you have achieved in making Jesus look like a sinner due to the inevitability of human nature to draw people to sin even in thoughts. Therefore either abandon you argument that sin includes thoughts and impulses or accept that Jesus was prone to evil as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

Teenaged

The problem here for you and all evangelists is that your own definition of sin is what clearly shows that in the equation of sinful behavior and sin, Jesus is a sinner. Why? Because he had feelings. Had you not presented such an extreme definition for sin, there would be no issue but this actually backfired with horrific results for your argumentation.

Has it not occured to you that those verses do not subscribed to YOUR definition of sin (which includes thoughts, impulses or even a zinc of thought in the mind), and it is only speaking of actions which is the right definition of sin.

By deploying the slippery slope fallacy in your arguments you have achieved in making Jesus look like a sinner due to the inevitability of human nature to draw people to sin even in thoughts. Therefore either abandon you argument that sin includes thoughts and impulses or accept that Jesus was prone to evil as well.

They obviously don't have the same definition of sin as other Christian denominations since this is even asked.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

LJS9502_basic

They obviously don't have the same definition of sin as other Christian denominations since this is even asked.

Yeah I know and I made sure I mention specifically that the verses do not subscribe to THEIR definition.

The point is that by their definition of sin, Jesus is a sinner too. Therefore they are by necessity wrong in one case: either they are wrong of their definition of sin (which is what I believe mostly) or they are wrong when they depict Jesus as a man not prove to evil AT ALL.

In other words: they contradict themselves.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 LJS9502_basic

Yeah I know and I made sure I mention specifically that the verses do not subscribe to THEIR definition.

The point is that by their definition of sin, Jesus is a sinner too. Therefore they are by necessity wrong in one case: either they are wrong of their definition of sin (which is what I believe mostly) or they are wrong when they depict Jesus as a man not prove to evil AT ALL.

Teenaged

The thing that bothers me about these threads is that people that don't understand Christianity accept their ideas as the correct or only ones. Which isn't fair to Christianity actually.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

LJS9502_basic

The thing that bothers me about these threads is that people that don't understand Christianity accept their ideas as the correct or only ones. Which isn't fair to Christianity actually.

Yeah thats the danger here.

Oh I was about to analyze my thoughts on this as to why their message gets to people more easily but I am tired... :P

PS: Oh and my last posts of course were ignored by the CWU folks...

...Expectable though..... BR has aid he will be ignoring me... :P

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
You know, you really don't need to write "Poll" in every title... There's a little indication to that to the left of the threads title.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Teenaged

You know, you really don't need to write "Poll" in every title... There's a little indication to that to the left of the threads title.super_mario_128
Yeah I had thought of that too sometimes.... :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 LJS9502_basic

[Yeah thats the danger here.

Oh I was about to analyze my thoughts on this as to why their message gets to people more easily but I am tired... :P

. BR has aid he will be ignoring me... :P

Teenaged

SOME users in these threads disappear when cornered until they can research an answer. BR tells me that as well but he doesn't.:P

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#236 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
....seriously...he was thought to be the son of God....you can't tell me that didn't get him the ladies back in the day......"Did you fall from heaven"?"...."No?....well I can make it happen".....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 LJS9502_basic

You know, you really don't need to write "Poll" in every title... There's a little indication to that to the left of the threads title.super_mario_128
The question mark never lies.....

omg_epic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 omg_epic
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
jesus's wasnt the son of god, serouisly itz logic why would god the creator need a son? and if the creator had a son god wouldnt be god as god is the most superior. if jesus was the son of god god wouldnt be god as the creator wouldnt be regared as a god as god doesnt have any parthers ect as god wouldnt have power. is god going 2 ask jesus hes "son" do to something, or act the actions as jesus would want it to be. christainy has miss lead many people, even the bible as been changed so much they need different versions, they dont even belive there own words
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
I don't see how he would avoid sinning. I find it hard to believe that he never disrespected his parents when he was growing. He probably stole some fruit from a market at some point in his angsty teenage years.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
of course.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#241 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Yeah? Well, I don't accept a single one of the premises in your advertisment against his advertistment against your advertisment of Christianity :xFunky_Llama

Reported for advertising, for advertising against my advertisment against blackregiment's advertisment against pianist's advertisment against the CWU's advertisisment. :x

Reported for abusing the poor "Report Abuse" feature. :x

Poor thing... it doesn't like being abused :cry:.

:P

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

These creationists make me facepalm.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

There are several answers one could give, but I will give the one you should expect of me: if Jesus truly is a manifestation of God, then God, being omnipotent, can, does, and will sin.

LJS9502_basic

Er actually the definition of sin is an action that puts distance between an individual and God so that answer is an impossibility.

You'd be absolutely right, if the Bible did not say itself that God was omnipotent. Because It is omnipotent, It can be all. If It is omnipotent, then It can, does, and will sin. Unless, of course, you deny that the Bible is the source of theological truth.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
1+ to Crushmaster for, once again, making the most pointless thread ever. Good for you, I guess.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

tycoonmike

You'd be absolutely right, if the Bible did not say itself that God was omnipotent. Because It is omnipotent, It can be all. If It is omnipotent, then It can, does, and will sin. Unless, of course, you deny that the Bible is the source of theological truth.

Just because God can do everything doesn't mean he will :|
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

tycoonmike

That doesn't mean God sins.:|

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 tycoonmike

Just because God can do everything doesn't mean he will :|Funky_Llama

That doesn't mean God sins.LJS9502_Basic

Can either of you define what God does?

If so, then It is not omnipotent, for how can a human define the infinite beyond using synonym?

If not, then how can any of us know beyond making an assumption?

If God is truly omnipotent, the most we can ever do is make assumptions of Its actions. The beauty of it is that all of our assumptions are right because It is omnipotent. Very circular, wouldn't you agree? Yet another example of definition by synonym.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 LJS9502_basic

If so, then It is not omnipotent, for how can a human define the infinite beyond using synonym?

If God is truly omnipotent, the most we can ever do is make assumptions of Its actions. The beauty of it is that all of our assumptions are right because It is omnipotent. Very circular, wouldn't you agree? Yet another example of definition by synonym.

tycoonmike

No. In theology sin is....

!. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.

2. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.

Thus Jesus as God cannot sin.

As I stated before this thread is not started with the correct premise of sin in regard to God.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 tycoonmike

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

LJS9502_basic

No. In theology sin is....

!. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.

2. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.

Thus Jesus as God cannot sin.

As I stated before this thread is not started with the correct premise of sin in regard to God.

Omnipotence: the ability to do absolutely anything, even the logically impossible (Yes, wikipedia, so shoot me)

No matter what the definition of sin you wish to use, Revelation 19:6 means that God, and any form thereof, can, will, does, and has sinned.

KJV, Revelation 19:6

And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

The Da Vinci Code is fiction and without historical support.

blackregiment

Just like the Bible..