Did God create time?

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#101 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] So God waited an infinite amount of time before creating our universe? How does that make sense?tenaka2

If it was before the universe then God didn't wait any time. If there exists no matter there exists no time and thus God did not have to wait. It's difficult for us living in time to consider how a creature could live apart from time, that existence would be like nothing we have ever experienced.

So god does not consist of matter?

God would be what Aristotle would describe as pure form, and form by it's nature is not matter. Although he did take on a material form and entered into history as the person of Jesus Christ.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] So God waited an infinite amount of time before creating our universe? How does that make sense?BluRayHiDef

If it was before the universe then God didn't wait any time. If there exists no matter there exists no time and thus God did not have to wait. It's difficult for us living in time to consider how a creature could live apart from time, that existence would be like nothing we have ever experienced.

God is not a creature. Creatures are created.

I know that, I was simply using creature for the sake of the argument as an attempt to simplify the language, which becomes a major stumbling block when talking about God.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] If it was before the universe then God didn't wait any time. If there exists no matter there exists no time and thus God did not have to wait. It's difficult for us living in time to consider how a creature could live apart from time, that existence would be like nothing we have ever experienced. ferrari2001

God would be what Aristotle would describe as pure form, and form by it's nature is not matter. Although he did take on a material form and entered into history as the person of Jesus Christ.

So you are saying that God doesn't matter?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#104 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Here is what the Bible says about Yahweh (Jehovah). [Quote="Psalms"]1 O Jehovah, you yourself have proved to be a real dwelling for us During generation after generation. 2 Before the mountains themselves were born, Or you proceeded to bring forth as with labor pains the earth and the productive land, EVEN FROM TIME INDEFINITE TO TIME INDEFINITE YOU ARE GOD.BluRayHiDef

Yahweh (Jehovah) precedes time. He is eternal; He is without beginning or end.

What chapter(s) and verses is that quote from?

Psalms 90: 1-2.

Thank you. Pairing those verses with Genesis 1:1, it becomes clear that Yahweh is believed by mainstream Christians (Catholic, Baptist, and some others) to have created both space and time which have been undergoing changes towards a new perspective. Considered to be inseparable by the scientific community, the term "spacetime" has come about.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#105 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] If it was before the universe then God didn't wait any time. If there exists no matter there exists no time and thus God did not have to wait. It's difficult for us living in time to consider how a creature could live apart from time, that existence would be like nothing we have ever experienced. ferrari2001

God would be what Aristotle would describe as pure form, and form by it's nature is not matter.

So what is it?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

chaoscougar1
God would be what Aristotle would describe as pure form, and form by it's nature is not matter.

So what is it?

I would suggest reading Aristotle's Metaphysics if you want that question answered, as the question what is form is very very complex, as I cannot sum up his writings on substance and accidents in the limited space provided by gamespot forums.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

You should read this. The Father, referred to as YHWH (Yahweh, Jehovah) in the Hebrew Scriptures, alone is God. Jesus is a separate and created being who is God's Unique Son. God has many sons; in Job 1:6, it reads as follows:
6 Now it came to be the day when the SONS of the [true] God entered to take their station before Jehovah, and even Satan proceeded to enter right among them.Job 1
However, Jesus, as already stated, is unique among God's sons, above all the rest because he is God's Firstborn (i.e. God's first creation [Colossians 1:15]). The belief that Jesus is God and one of the persons in the supposed Triune Godhead was developed centuries AFTER the inception of Christianity. More than likely you are reluctant to read the publication which the above link leads to, but since you have nothing to lose, why not?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#110 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

That is what the monotheistic religions teach. God is Eternal and therefore outside of time which is something He created.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 champion837
Member since 2012 • 1423 Posts
The belief that Jesus is God and one of the persons in the supposed Triune Godhead was developed centuries AFTER the inception of Christianity.BluRayHiDef
No it isnt, Jesus said that him and the father are one in the Book of John.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#112 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

There was no time until the industrial revolution. Before that it was work from dawn to dusk.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#113 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

However, Jesus, as already stated, is unique among God's sons, above all the rest because he is God's Firstborn (i.e. God's first creation [Colossians 1:15]). BluRayHiDef

Proverbs 8 says otherwise.

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 champion837

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]However, Jesus, as already stated, is unique among God's sons, above all the rest because he is God's Firstborn (i.e. God's first creation [Colossians 1:15]). br0kenrabbit

What verse are you talking about?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]However, Jesus, as already stated, is unique among God's sons, above all the rest because he is God's Firstborn (i.e. God's first creation [Colossians 1:15]). champion837

Proverbs 8 is the Lady Wisdom speaking:

8:12 I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;I possess knowledge and discretion.

She later goes on to tell us:

8:22-31

The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be. When there were no watery depths, I was given birth, when there were no springs overflowing with water; before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth,before he made the world or its fields or any of the dust of the earth. I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command,and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.Then I was constantly at his side. I was filled with delight day after day,rejoicing always in his presence,rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 BluRayHiDef
[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]The belief that Jesus is God and one of the persons in the supposed Triune Godhead was developed centuries AFTER the inception of Christianity.champion837
No it isnt, Jesus said that him and the father are one in the Book of John.

You do not comprehend the meaning of that statement, so I shall explain what it means. You're referring to John 10:30. However, Jesus says the following in the 17th chapter of John when praying to the Father.
20 I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word; 21 in order that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth. 22 Also, I have given them the glory that you have given me, IN ORDER THAT THEY MAY BE ONE JUST AS WE ARE ONE. 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one, that the world may have the knowledge that you sent me forth and that you loved them just as you loved me. 24 John 17
Notice that in verse 22, Jesus asks the Father that his followers be one just as he and the Father are one. If your (erroneous) interpretation of John 10:30 were correct, then Jesus would be asking the Father that his follwers become one god or lifeform of some sort as he and the Father supposedly are. However, that would be nonsensical. What Jesus is asking for, as is evident in the context of this passage, is that his followers become one in purpose and agreement, as he and the Father are. This is what he meant when he said that he and the Father are one.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Time doesn't exist, it's just something we made up to try and measure the effects of gravity on planets and matter.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 BluRayHiDef

[QUOTE="champion837"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

8:12 I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;I possess knowledge and discretion.

The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be. When there were no watery depths, I was given birth, when there were no springs overflowing with water; before the mountains were settled in place, before the hills, I was given birth,before he made the world or its fields or any of the dust of the earth. I was there when he set the heavens in place, when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,when he established the clouds above and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,when he gave the sea its boundary so the waters would not overstep his command,and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.Then I was constantly at his side. I was filled with delight day after day,rejoicing always in his presence,rejoicing in his whole world and delighting in mankind.

That passage has been traditionally believed to refer to Jesus in his prehuman existence. In John 1:1, Jesus is described as the Word (i.e. "Logos" in the original Greek text) which existed with God in the beginning, which provides clarification for Proverbs 8.
champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 champion837

Notice that in verse 22, Jesus asks the Father that his followers be one just as he and the Father are one. If your (erroneous) interpretation of John 10:30 were correct, then Jesus would be asking the Father that his follwers become one god or lifeform of some sort as he and the Father supposedly are. However, that would be nonsensical. What Jesus is asking for, as is evident in the context of this passage, is that his followers become one in purpose and agreement, as he and the Father are. This is what he meant when he said that he and the Father are one.BluRayHiDef

"They may be one just as we are".

Which means with each other as humans. If what you said were the case then he wouldve plainly said "we all be one", but he didnt. He wants us to be one as humans. We arent the messiah, so therefore we arent God and cant be the same.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

according to the bible no...since time existed along with god.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts

Various quantum particles can be observed which can be said to exist outside of time and can inhabit the same space as other particles. Ace6301
Bullsh*t

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="champion837"] What verse are you talking about?BluRayHiDef

That passage has been traditionally believed to refer to Jesus in his prehuman existence. In John 1:1, Jesus is described as the Word (i.e. "Logos" in the original Greek text) which existed with God in the beginning, which provides clarification for Proverbs 8.

Yeshua was female?

Avatar image for AneurysmNirvana
AneurysmNirvana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 AneurysmNirvana
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts
Since there is no god, no.
Rick_Sure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 Rick_Sure
Member since 2011 • 371 Posts

Time is a concept.

This is a wrist watch.

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

no

humans created god.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

well if you think "God" exists... who or what else would have made time?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Time is a result of the universe God created. And God obviously exists outside of it.

Not a hard concept.

Neoklondiak
Yea except when he likes to interfere constantly with miracles. Apparently God likes to stop in once and while and kick over a few chairs to keep us on our feet.
dragonmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 dragonmaster64
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts

Do you think he did? I think time existed before God, if he exists that is.

Mike-uk

to say that is to be contradictory. God in definition is the highest, none more higher. to say time existed before god is to say it exists above god. Therefore the being of god isnt really god.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike-uk"]

dragonmaster64
to say that is to be contradictory. God in definition is the highest none more higher to say time existed before god is to say it exists above god. Therefore the being of god isnt really god.

Da fuq did I just read?
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

nope, time created "god" and time will bring an end to "god" aswell.

in peoples minds and beliefs, I mean.

as it does with everything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="Mike-uk"]

dragonmaster64

to say that is to be contradictory. God in definition is the highest, none more higher. to say time existed before god is to say it exists above god. Therefore the being of god isnt really god.

Go into your garden and find a rock, any rock. That rock is older than you, it is your superior. Place the rock in your bedroom and then move into the garden, you are now the rocks servant.

dragonmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 dragonmaster64
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonmaster64"]

[QUOTE="Mike-uk"]

toast_burner

Go into your garden and find a rock, any rock. That rock is older than you, it is your superior. Place the rock in your bedroom and then move into the garden, you are now the rocks servant.

just because its older doesnt mean its my superiour. i know where your ultimately going but in the end i believe your wrong. by definition God is superior to everything. a rock is a rock like time is time.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 chaoscougar1
Time doesn't exist, it's just something we made up to try and measure the effects of gravity on planets and matter.JohnF111
Noooppeeee
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#134 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
God is time itself, maybe? Rather, the equilibrium of events happening in a period time is God.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] So God waited an infinite amount of time before creating our universe? How does that make sense?tenaka2

and herein lies the problem with claiming that god(s) exist. They have to be somewhere, made of something and had to come from somwhere. Syaing they are "beyond time and space" and "always were" solves nothing and creates an even large problem than what was trying to be solved.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Neoklondiak"]

Time is a result of the universe God created. And God obviously exists outside of it.

Not a hard concept.

HoolaHoopMan

Yea except when he likes to interfere constantly with miracles. Apparently God likes to stop in once and while and kick over a few chairs to keep us on our feet.

Plus, humans have been around for roughly 100,000 to 250,000 years, and only 2000 years ago did he go "well, looks like I should intervene....in the most uneducated part of the world...and never return."

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 champion837

2000 years ago did he go "well, looks like I should intervene....in the most uneducated part of the world...and never return."wis3boi

You have years/time dates wrong. Why do you not like God so much? Did he steal something from you;)

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]2000 years ago did he go "well, looks like I should intervene....in the most uneducated part of the world...and never return."champion837

You have years/time dates wrong. Why do you not like God so much? Did he steal something from you;)

Begone troll

champion837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 champion837

[QUOTE="champion837"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]2000 years ago did he go "well, looks like I should intervene....in the most uneducated part of the world...and never return."wis3boi

Begone troll

Your hatred for God is hilarious. Tell us why you are so butthurt.......
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#140 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
I believe God was always there and the created time in order to have an accurate line of events, or something like that.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 chaoscougar1
I believe God was always there and the created time in order to have an accurate line of events, or something like that.ShadowsDemon
Can see you thought that theory through thoroughly
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]I believe God was always there and the created time in order to have an accurate line of events, or something like that.chaoscougar1

You got a better theory, love?
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"]I believe God was always there and the created time in order to have an accurate line of events, or something like that.ShadowsDemon

See "Big Bang Theory" Or something like that...
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ShadowsDemon
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] Can see you thought that theory through thoroughly

:lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Man created time. measuring out life spans of things and keeping track of the past...no thanks i choose not to have time because i choose to
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

If God exists, then presumably he created time.

As an aside, I find it funny that people think "God exists outside of time and the universe as we know it" to be a cop out argument for believers. One could rightly assume that a being that created everything exists without any of the constraints that everything else has. That's why debates against the existence of God will rarely (not always, obviously) result in anything other than an agreement to disagree.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 chaoscougar1
[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] You got a better theory, love?

:lol:

Oh the irony
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 chaoscougar1
Man created time. measuring out life spans of things and keeping track of the past...no thanks i choose not to have time because i choose toplaymynutz
lol Good luck with that
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#149 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
God is beyond time and space? No? Seriously, I realize that's a poor argument :(
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Man created time. measuring out life spans of things and keeping track of the past...no thanks i choose not to have time because i choose tochaoscougar1
lol Good luck with that

you know that made no sense because i can bearly grasp it is life span born to death always part of this time equation? it seems like there is no talking about time without the human element