Conservative Kansas Group Claims Teaching Science is Unconstitutional

This topic is locked from further discussion.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Well global warming shouldnt be taught as fact when there is plenty of arguements against it.  Same as Evolution, it really is not an science, it is more of an hypothesis.  

mahlasor

:Facepalm: Sure teaching Science is Indoctrination, yet forcing kids to say the Pledge every day that includes the phrase "Under God" is not..... Conservatives :Shakes my head:

We already got a bible that you can read on your own, we got the internet, public schools are pointless.  

edit: so what I am sayying is...  Do we really need public schools teaching stuff that we can learn on our own?

Public schools are not pointless, just like church's arent pointless. yes, you can read all this stuff online on your own, but a teacher can help you to understand where u wouldnt. Same as a holy man can help explain concepts in the bible you may not fully understand.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

I suggest finishing middle school before continuing on your embarrassing rant

lostrib

That does not even make sense whatsoever, I am WAYYY past that age, idiot...  What an assumption to make, mr 29k poster.  I bet you made that post just to increase your post count.

what is your obession with people's post count

Because I find a correlation between the rudeness of a poster to their post count.  My theory is they simply just make more post which results in the reduction of the post quality...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

That does not even make sense whatsoever, I am WAYYY past that age, idiot...  What an assumption to make, mr 29k poster.  I bet you made that post just to increase your post count.

mahlasor

Because I find a correlation between the rudeness of a poster to their post count.  My theory is they simply just make more post which results in the reduction of the post quality...

+1

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 mahlasor

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] :Facepalm: Sure teaching Science is Indoctrination, yet forcing kids to say the Pledge every day that includes the phrase "Under God" is not..... Conservatives :Shakes my head:II_Seraphim_II

We already got a bible that you can read on your own, we got the internet, public schools are pointless.  

edit: so what I am sayying is...  Do we really need public schools teaching stuff that we can learn on our own?

Public schools are not pointless, just like church's arent pointless. yes, you can read all this stuff online on your own, but a teacher can help you to understand where u wouldnt. Same as a holy man can help explain concepts in the bible you may not fully understand.

Actually fvck both of them, I learned what I do not and did what I do now without them both.  I did it myself!

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

It does because fallacy = logical error.  Well scientist do have a strong relation with government, like whether they get their budgets or whatever passed.  You just used an either or fallacy in the bolded.  Guess what, there is not a 97 percent consensus.  It is based on a survey, and I do not trust surveys so easily.  Btw, that is not how science is done, it is not by majority vote.  Look in the past, science discoveries have been made by ignoring the majority.  So is it hard to bleieve that maybe all these "scientist" are one day going to be seen as the ones who were wrong and misguided?

mahlasor

Fallacy fallacy x2, building that multiplier?

With respect to the either/or, I'll give you that (that it is not a particuarlly correct line of reasoning, not that your interpretation of it was correct, or your assumptions about my knowledge). And your Fallacy fallacy multiplier grows to 3x. Also my either/or is: is it more likely group 'a' is corrupt, or that the group 'b' is wrong. Not that group 'a' is correct.

"Well scientist do have a strong relation with government, like whether they get their budgets or whatever passed."

This != corruption, it's just some public funding. You seemed so certain, but you don't seem to have much to back up that certainty.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="mahlasor"]

mahlasor

Actually fvck both of them, I learned what I do not and did what I do now without them both.  I did it myself!

I just feel like as much as I think i understand a topic, there is always someone out there who knows it better than me, and they can teach me to reach the same level of understanding. That's what schools are good for IMO. Too bad a lot of teachers arent exactly up to par
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 mahlasor

Anyways my ultimate feelings when it comes to explaining the origin of life or some crap like that..  THAT IS NOT what schools are supposed to really do, just teach the three Rs or whatever they call it and stfu about everything else.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 mahlasor

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Public schools are not pointless, just like church's arent pointless. yes, you can read all this stuff online on your own, but a teacher can help you to understand where u wouldnt. Same as a holy man can help explain concepts in the bible you may not fully understand.II_Seraphim_II

I just feel like as much as I think i understand a topic, there is always someone out there who knows it better than me, and they can teach me to reach the same level of understanding. That's what schools are good for IMO. Too bad a lot of teachers arent exactly up to par

I know what you mean.  

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Anyways my ultimate feelings when it comes to explaining the origin of life or some crap like that..  THAT IS NOT what schools are supposed to really do, just teach the three Rs or whatever they call it and stfu about everything else.

mahlasor

Evolution is the 'ORIGIN OF SPECIES' by means of natural selection. It is not the origin of life, that is Abiogensis (non-life-beginning).

People like you should have 'no' say in education.

An education system based on the "three R's" (reading, writing, arithmetic... actually it's read, regurgitate, repeat) alone, would be 'horrible'. It would be boring, tedious, monotonous, irksome, redundant, ect (just like this sentence).

A good education system should teach much more than just the basic necessities. It should expose students to as many subjects and ideas as reasonably possible, at the best possible quality. People don't know what they love 'til they experience it, and most people wont fall in love with the "three R's" alone. 

"If you do well in school, you'll make more money."
"You have to get good grades to get to college" 

These are not very good motivators to keep people interested in education. "I love -insert field here-." is.

----

Back to abiogensis, I think it's a shame that it 'isn't' taught in school. Unlike evolution, which you're just backing up a claim that is so well established*, abiogensis is open, it's full of new questions! It's much easier to think of an experiment in a field that is so uncertain, and to actually learn something new from that experiment, that you couldn't have previously looked up. It would be vastly more interesting than disecting a rat.

*This isn't to say that evolutionary biology isn't interesting, it is! 

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

mahlasor

Sorry that's "hypothesis" not "theory". Your continual misuse of the scientific language doesn't lend much credit to your assertions about scientists. If you don't even understand the scientific method how are you going to criticize it?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

mahlasor
Evolution has nothing to do with the origins of life.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#112 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
It's a whole 15 people who hardly represent the majority of people in the state. The lawsuit will obviously fail and schools here will continue to teach evolution like they should.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#113 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Well global warming shouldnt be taught as fact when there is plenty of arguements against it.  Same as Evolution, it really is not an science, it is more of an hypothesis.  

mahlasor

I was with you for the first sentence.. than you went full special.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]no, global warming and evolution, has been tested extensively, and thus is a theory.

Why do you think you have any credibility if you don't even know the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

Like I said, you're stupid.

wis3boi

No, actually you are a dumbass, you are dumb on purpose.  First of all you do not even know what I do or do not know, the most you should even claim is that I am ignorant.  Not stupid.  I would say you are at the very least, a bigot.

I suggest finishing middle school before continuing on your embarrassing rant

I'm fine with this. It makes his side look bad.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#115 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Thank god for the electoral college

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#116 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Thank god for the electoral college

Shmiity

Actually, don't- Kansas will get mad. He has nothing to do with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
Science doesn't conflict with theism. I remember being taught history of religion & evolution in high school. Conservatism sounds retro
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#118 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Time to burn more Pokeman cartridges!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Science doesn't conflict with theism. playmynutz

Nope

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
under this reasoning all children should be kept in a locked room with minimal outside contact as to not influence them in any way...
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#121 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

I feel fvcking bad for their children.

Jolt_counter119
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
Conservatives are idiots, they cling too close to their bibles while running far away from the truth aka science.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
under this reasoning all children should be kept in a locked room with minimal outside contact as to not influence them in any way... MuD3
Some of these people are probably a-okay with that.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Science doesn't conflict with theism. wis3boi

Nope

What do you mean nope? Some of the greatest scientists in history have been religious. Hell the Big Bang was proposed and first postulated by a Catholic priest. Now science does conflicts with fundamentalism but they are, thank god, a dying breed.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

mahlasor

You need an education.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#127 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Nuck81
:Facepalm: Sure teaching Science is Indoctrination, yet forcing kids to say the Pledge every day that includes the phrase "Under God" is not..... Conservatives :Shakes my head:

Nobody's forcing children to say the Pledge. Just learn about science.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="playmynutz"]Science doesn't conflict with theism. ferrari2001

Nope

What do you mean nope? Some of the greatest scientists in history have been religious. Hell the Big Bang was proposed and first postulated by a Catholic priest. Now science does conflicts with fundamentalism but they are, thank god, a dying breed.

They've partitioned their brains like a hard drive, hence why they can hold conflicting beliefs. I understad many scientists are theists, they've just 'rationalized' it (even though it isn't rational).  They are also in the vast minority of scientists.  At least they don't let it conflict with their research, because they'd be useless in the lab.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Nope

wis3boi

They've partitioned their brains like a hard drive, hence why they can hold conflicting beliefs. I understad many scientists are theists, they've just 'rationalized' it (even though it isn't rational).  They are also in the vast minority of scientists.  At least they don't let it conflict with their research, because they'd be useless in the lab.

Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists.
mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 mahlasor

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

tenaka2

You need an education.

No... But I think you should continue your education :)

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mahlasor

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] What do you mean nope? Some of the greatest scientists in history have been religious. Hell the Big Bang was proposed and first postulated by a Catholic priest. Now science does conflicts with fundamentalism but they are, thank god, a dying breed. ferrari2001

Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists.

+1

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you can't talk any sense into them.

hell they have a holy book where the bad guy kills like 7 people and the good guy kills 8 million and they worship the one that kills 8 million.

shyts senseless.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists. ferrari2001

Science can certainly prove certain religious ideas and main stays as incorrect, from a fundamentalist point of view.  It just depends on how a person views certain stories and feats in religious texts (metaphors vs literal happenings).  Religion and a belief in God don't have to be synonymous with each other.  

As for God, of course science can't 'disprove' its existence.  Science deals with the natural world and God is considered supernatural.  

WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 WickedChainy
Member since 2012 • 319 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] What do you mean nope? Some of the greatest scientists in history have been religious. Hell the Big Bang was proposed and first postulated by a Catholic priest. Now science does conflicts with fundamentalism but they are, thank god, a dying breed. ferrari2001

Science has shown much of what was believed to be a big part the religion (What they believed when the bible was written and up until modern times) to be silly and irrational.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

WickedChainy

Science has shown much of what was believed to be a big part the religion (What they believed when the bible was written and up until modern times) to be silly and irrational.

those are just theories not facts

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Science disproves religious beliefs all the time. Then religions deny it and say its not enough evidence for a while until they can't deny the overwhelming evidence anymore and accept it.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ferrari2001

Person0

Science disproves religious beliefs all the time. Then religions deny it and say its not enough evidence for a while until they can't deny the overwhelming evidence anymore and accept it.

Again stop associating all theists as fundamentalists. Try and learn the difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists.

Again stop associating all theists as fundamentalists. Try and learn the difference.

They're only fundamentalists when something is disproven by science. 20 years ago todays fundamentalists were normal religious people.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Global warming is fact?!
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Yes because that will surely make them clever and not the laughing stock of the world. I can imagine the Quiz shows "For 300 Dollars, What does Water consist of?" " Water."
WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 WickedChainy

[QUOTE="WickedChainy"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists. lostrib

those are just theories not facts

The number of people that don't understand what a scientific theory is in this thread is truly astounding.
WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 WickedChainy
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Science and religion aren't contradicting beliefs though?? Science hasn't disprove religion just as religion shouldn't reject scientific understanding. Stop grouping all theists as fundamentalists.

So you want us to learn the beliefs of over 41,000 Christian denominations while you and several others in this thread are not even willing to learn the definition of a scientific theory?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Person0"] Science disproves religious beliefs all the time. Then religions deny it and say its not enough evidence for a while until they can't deny the overwhelming evidence anymore and accept it.WickedChainy

So you want us to learn the beliefs of over 41,000 Christian denominations while you and several others in this thread are not even willing to learn the definition of a scientific theory?

lol what are you going on about? The original argument was religion and science are incompatible which they are not. One can both believe in science and in religion without contradiction. What does the scientific theory, which just happened to be taught by many religious individuals over the centuries, have to do with it? Who said anything about learning 41,000 religious beliefs? God you are dense.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="WickedChainy"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="Person0"] Science disproves religious beliefs all the time. Then religions deny it and say its not enough evidence for a while until they can't deny the overwhelming evidence anymore and accept it.

And why do you seem to think I don't know the scientific theory and am opposed to science? I believe in and advocate for the teaching of evolution in schools? Did you fail reading and comprehension growing up?
WickedChainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 WickedChainy

[QUOTE="WickedChainy"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] Again stop associating all theists as fundamentalists. Try and learn the difference. ferrari2001

lol what are you going on about? The original argument was religion and science are incompatible which they are not. One can both believe in science and in religion without contradiction. What does the scientific theory, which just happened to be taught by many religious individuals over the centuries, have to do with it? Who said anything about learning 41,000 religious beliefs? God you are dense.

I'm saying that most christian denominations don't agree with science. Many people that aren't considered fundamentalists hold beliefs that aren't the same as what science has shown. Science doesn't fit with most christian denominations.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Makhaidos
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]

[QUOTE="WickedChainy"] So you want us to learn the beliefs of over 41,000 Christian denominations while you and several others in this thread are not even willing to learn the definition of a scientific theory?WickedChainy

I'm saying that most christian denominations don't agree with science. Many people that aren't considered fundamentalists hold beliefs that aren't the same as what science has shown. Science doesn't fit with most christian denominations.

Denial of reality is a pretty big area of fundamentalism. There are, literally, thousands of Christian denominations; most of them are cool with science, but some of the ones who aren't are the ones with more followers (Mormons, Evangelicals, Southern Baptists, etc.). Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans, (some) Methodists and (some) Catholics are fine with science, at least for the most part.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 ferrari2001
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"]

[QUOTE="WickedChainy"] So you want us to learn the beliefs of over 41,000 Christian denominations while you and several others in this thread are not even willing to learn the definition of a scientific theory?WickedChainy

um where in the world do you get that information. Last time I checked 30% of the country were creationists, (which is still way to high) but that leaves 70% that believe in some form of evolution. Not to mention that the largest christian denomination the Catholic church officially confirmed evolution as a valid scientific theory as early as the 1950's. That doesn't even take into account the numerous scientific theories proposed by religious people. Anyone who rejects something like evolution because of creationism is a fundamentalist in my book.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="WickedChainy"][QUOTE="ferrari2001"] lol what are you going on about? The original argument was religion and science are incompatible which they are not. One can both believe in science and in religion without contradiction. What does the scientific theory, which just happened to be taught by many religious individuals over the centuries, have to do with it? Who said anything about learning 41,000 religious beliefs? God you are dense.ferrari2001

um where in the world do you get that information. Last time I checked 30% of the country were creationists, (which is still way to high) but that leaves 70% that believe in some form of evolution. Not to mention that the largest christian denomination the Catholic church officially confirmed evolution as a valid scientific theory as early as the 1950's. That doesn't even take into account the numerous scientific theories proposed by religious people. Anyone who rejects something like evolution because of creationism is a fundamentalist in my book.

Yeah no.mtmhrggv0u278tchtddptw.gif

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 ferrari2001

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="WickedChainy"] I'm saying that most christian denominations don't agree with science. Many people that aren't considered fundamentalists hold beliefs that aren't the same as what science has shown. Science doesn't fit with most christian denominations. Person0

Yeah no.

Pew Research Foundation says otherwise so I'm not sure who to believe.

"31% reject evolution and say that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time. - Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues". PewResearch. 2009-07-09

Also "A majority of the public (61%) says that human and other living things have evolved over time" - same

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Makhaidos

[QUOTE="Person0"]

[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] um where in the world do you get that information. Last time I checked 30% of the country were creationists, (which is still way to high) but that leaves 70% that believe in some form of evolution. Not to mention that the largest christian denomination the Catholic church officially confirmed evolution as a valid scientific theory as early as the 1950's. That doesn't even take into account the numerous scientific theories proposed by religious people. Anyone who rejects something like evolution because of creationism is a fundamentalist in my book. ferrari2001

Yeah no.

Pew Research Foundation says otherwise so I'm not sure who to believe.

"31% reject evolution and say that humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time. - Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues". PewResearch. 2009-07-09

Also "A majority of the public (61%) says that human and other living things have evolved over time" - same

The Gallup poll is more recent and has better questioning from a research perspective.