Communism VS. Laissez-Faire Capitalism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

Which would you rather live in?

Communism, as in government(which in turn is controlled by the people of the nation) has complete control over the market, entrepreneurship is not allowed, everybody has the same standards if living.

Laissez-Faire Capitalism, as in their is no regulation in the private sector at all, monopolies and trusts are allowed, no safety/environmental guidelines.

Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts

Capitalism as there is a greater chance of success imo.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Given the choice between the two, I would choose communism. Though, I don't really like the idea of either system.
savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#4 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
A capitalist society. All major communist countries from the 20th century have adopted capitalism while retaining the ruling style that accompanied the communist system.
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
Communism, easily. Especially if we're talking about traditional Marxist communism.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Communism.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
This question is like asking a woman which way she prefers to be raped: anally or vaginally....neither of which is pleasant.
Avatar image for HomicidalCherry
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 HomicidalCherry
Member since 2009 • 959 Posts

Capitalism. I would rather have an in-between though.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace_WondersX

I don't think a lot of people here understand what laissez-faire capitalism means. That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ace_WondersX
This question is like asking a woman which way she prefers to be raped: anally or vaginally....neither of which is pleasant.True_Gamer_
I know, but which would you rather live in?
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

A capitalist society. All major communist countries from the 20th century have adopted capitalism while retaining the ruling style that accompanied the communist system. savetehhaloz

I'm sure TC meant extreme capitalism as in "laissez-faire", which isn't exactly the same as the common capitalism we find right now.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

I don't think a lot of people here understand what laissez-faire capitalism means. That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault.

Ace_WondersX

In other words Free For All ;)

mixedplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 mixedplanet
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
i think your talking about soviet communism, which quite different from what Marx said. From those two, i would choose communism.
jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

I don't mind the status quo.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ace_WondersX

jetpower3
Neither one of those is the status quo.
jetpower3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jetpower3
Member since 2005 • 11631 Posts

[QUOTE="jetpower3"]

Ace_WondersX

Neither one of those is the status quo.

I know ;). I'm not making a choice of the two you asked. Laissez-Faire capitalism leaves too much room for excessive exploitation, and communism as it is practiced often has both that and eventual stagnation and instability. Marxism as envisioned by Marx and Engels seems much too unrealistic to me.

HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HomicidalCherry

Ace_WondersX

It is still vastly preferable to a society in which intelligence and hard-work has no reward.

Lethargika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lethargika
Member since 2009 • 1666 Posts

They both are extreme to no end, but if I was forced to choose from those two I would choose Capitalism.

pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts

Communism if run by men doesn't work

Capitalism when run by men doesn't work

Time for Women to run our societies me thinks :D

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 True_Gamer_

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

HomicidalCherry

It is still vastly preferable to a society in which intelligence and hard-work has no reward.

But from a NATURAL INSTINCT perspective I would choose communism. One has more chances of survival.....
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

HomicidalCherry

I'm fine with that, I don't work hard and I'm one of the laziest sods alive.
HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HomicidalCherry

[QUOTE="HomicidalCherry"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

T_P_O

Exactly, I don't wanna be stuck supporting bums like you.:P

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Laissez-faire capitalism. No contest.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 True_Gamer_

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="HomicidalCherry"]

HomicidalCherry

You have no idea what REAL capitalism is like....
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Ace_WondersX

Thats not really true. An unregulated market does not necessarily lead to a monopoly. And in the two examples you mentioned, while not punishable by law, those companies would still have to face the economic consequences of provided an inferior/faulty product, meaning they would go out of business.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 T_P_O

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="HomicidalCherry"]

HomicidalCherry

Haha, touché. I'm kidding mostly. :P

I'm kind of torn between the options though, expect my answer soon.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 True_Gamer_

coolbeans90
"That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault." WOuld you still risk it? What you gonna eat?
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Ironically, laissez-faire capitalism would likely result into a communist revolution if it remains as "laissez-faire".

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 True_Gamer_

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

TaCoDuDe

Thats not really true. An unregulated market does not necessarily lead to a monopoly. And in the two examples you mentioned, while not punishable by law, those companies would still have to face the economic consequences of provided an inferior/faulty product, meaning they would go out of business.

WOuld you be the one that dies gets poisoned by that food first?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

TaCoDuDe

Seconded. Monopolization of an industry isn't necessarily inevitable. If an industry is monopolized, it has to be concerned with the possibility of a rising competitor.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
communism
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ace_WondersX

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

TaCoDuDe

They're is a high chance that most industries will become monopolized. Honestly if we removed regulation right now, you think Coca-Cola wouldn't buy out Pepsi, Microsoft wouldn't buy out Adobe,and etc.? It's a smart business decision, companies will monopolize their industries if possible.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts
Both would be disastrous.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Capitalism over Communism any day. Even in theory, communism would never work as man will always want more than the other.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

True_Gamer_

WOuld you be the one that dies gets poisoned by that food first?

Actually companies would try their best to provide the best service possible, so getting a deadly food poison is unlikely. Businesses naturally try to provide the best service they can, in order to make the most money. While it's not always the health of consumers they have in mind, businesses know that consumers will buy the best product. Competition pushes companies to improve. You act like unregulated businesses would go out and try to kill their customers. They're only in it to make money, and that definitely would not make them money.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

True_Gamer_

"That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault." WOuld you still risk it? What you gonna eat?

No, not every industry would be monopolized. Those that would be would have to do a decent enough job to prevent a new entry to the industry from stealing their business. If a company wants repeat business, it won't poison me. If the company gives a warranty to the appliance, then they would be obligated to replace a faulty one.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 T_P_O

Capitalism over Communism any day. Even in theory, communism would never work as man will always want more than the other.

leviathan91

Eh, I'd disagree with "will always", but currently, yeah, people want more than they have.

Also, I'm choosing communism because it's always one constant party.

HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HomicidalCherry

You have no idea what REAL capitalism is like....True_Gamer_

Ah, what a naive fool I am. I'm sure you have lived through the pure, laissez-faire capitalism that hasn't existed anywhere for over a century.:roll:

"That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault." WOuld you still risk it? What you gonna eat?True_Gamer_

American business was completely unregulated until the late 1800's. Quality goods could still be found. Yours is a worst-case scenario that may happen if the market is left to its own devices. It does not have to happen. If a food distributor has food that is constantly contaminated with e coli, people will buy from another distributor or (if somehow, this company managed to create a complete monopoly without any competition whatsoever), someone will probably form a competing distributor. It is far from ideal, but I prefer it to collective farms that inevitably underproduce and cause mass starvation.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

Ace_WondersX

They're is a high chance that most industries will become monopolized. Honestly if we removed regulation right now, you think Coca-Cola wouldn't buy out Pepsi, Microsoft wouldn't buy out Adobe,and etc.? It's a smart business decision, companies will monopolize their industries if possible.

I think for the most part industries would not be monopolized. Why would a successful company like Pepsi sell themselves out?

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ace_WondersX

[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

No, not every industry would be monopolized. Those that would be would have to do a decent enough job to prevent a new entry to the industry from stealing their business. If a company wants repeat business, it won't poison me. If the company gives a warranty to the appliance, then they would be obligated to replace a faulty one.

It wouldn't be hard to destroy competition in a laissez-faire system. Pricing wars would always go toward the large monopoly, large monopolies would form trusts with other large monopolies, such as the media. To make sure new competitors could make entrance. It's not like we haven't seen the effects of monopolies and trusts before. We just have to look at the late 1800s and early 1900s.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
[QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"]

Ace_WondersX

And running into the arms of a totalitarian state is better how?
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ace_WondersX

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"][QUOTE="TaCoDuDe"]

coolbeans90

I think for the most part industries would not be monopolized. Why would a successful company like Pepsi sell themselves out?

Coporate buyouts through the investors.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I prefer a Mixed economy

One that incorporates a balance of capitalism and socialism. Where each citizen gets a degree of economic freedom, yet still conform to government regulations for our own social welfare. For this thread, a Laissez-Faire environment, if severe enough will eventually lead to a mixed economy. So I'd stick with that one.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ace_WondersX

I prefer a Mixed economy

One that incorporates a balance of capitalism and socialism. Where each citizen gets a degree of economic freedom, yet still conform to government regulations for our own social welfare. For this thread, a Laissez-Faire environment, if severe enough will eventually lead to a mixed economy. So I'd stick with that one.

Blue-Sky
Off course, mixed is the best. But if you had to pick out of the two worst which would you pick?
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TaCoDuDe

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

I prefer a Mixed economy

Ace_WondersX

Off course, mixed is the best. But if you had to pick out of the two worst which would you pick?

I agree with you that mixed is best, although I prefer as little government regulation as possible. I was simply pointing how that laissez-faire is hardly as apocalyptic as you made it out to be. And given the choice between it and communism, I would choose laissez-faire any day. It's really not one of the worst two.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"] "That means there is no regulations of trusts and monopolies, so almost every industry will surely be monopolized. No safety guidelines means, a company can sell you a appliance, and when it bursts into flames, they aren't at fault. Or when you get E. Coli from your food the company that made the food is not at fault." WOuld you still risk it? What you gonna eat?Ace_WondersX

It wouldn't be hard to destroy competition in a laissez-faire system. Pricing wars would always go toward the large monopoly, large monopolies would form trusts with other large monopolies, such as the media. To make sure new competitors could make entrance. It's not like we haven't seen the effects of monopolies and trusts before. We just have to look at the late 1800s and early 1900s.

If you look at that point in history which you mentioned, there were extremely competitive markets. It would be very, very difficult to bring down competition in a Laissez-faire system, the same way it is currently. The only way a business could monopolize an industry is by beating out its opponents. Buying competitors out isn't as simple as you seem to believe. It has to be worth losing the business for one side, monetarily speaking. This alone makes monopolization seem like a preposterous idea. The other has to be certain of increased profits by acquiring the company exceeding the losses initially made by purchasing the other company. I wonder why you think that monopolization of industries is inevitable?

HomicidalCherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HomicidalCherry

It would be very, very difficult to bring down competition in a Laissez-faire system, the same way it is currently. The only way a business could monopolize an industry is by beating out its opponents.

coolbeans90

John D. Rockefeller might have something to say about that.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"] They're is a high chance that most industries will become monopolized. Honestly if we removed regulation right now, you think Coca-Cola wouldn't buy out Pepsi, Microsoft wouldn't buy out Adobe,and etc.? It's a smart business decision, companies will monopolize their industries if possible.Ace_WondersX

What is to say that the other side wouldn't do the same? Also, there are plenty of other manufacturers which could gain significant market share if Pepsi/Coca Cola merged and tried to jack prices. Long story short, market supply and demand forces would likely prevent major abuse.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

It would be very, very difficult to bring down competition in a Laissez-faire system, the same way it is currently. The only way a business could monopolize an industry is by beating out its opponents.

HomicidalCherry

John D. Rockefeller might have something to say about that.

Eh, the system wasn't perfect. Well played sir.

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ace_WondersX

[QUOTE="Ace_WondersX"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

What is to say that the other side wouldn't do the same? Also, there are plenty of other manufacturers which could gain significant market share if Pepsi/Coca Cola merged and tried to jack prices. Long story short, market supply and demand forces would likely prevent major abuse.

The other manufacturer, Pepsi doesn't have the financial backing to buyout Coca-Cola which already has an estimated 80% of the global market share. But even if Pepsi could buyout Coca-Cola would that make it better? And If a smaller ever did start to form into a serious competitor, the larger company would buy it out before it ever reached that point.

It's a pretty much safe bet that money spent to maintain a monopoly will eventually make it's way back to you in profit.