Cashiers don't say hello

• 48 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

There are many cashiers (Starbucks, McDonald's ect in US) who just stare at me when I walk up to them to order, I feel very annoyed. What do you feel, think or react when you face those people ?

Basutei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Basutei
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I initiate the interaction: "Hi, how's it going?"

If they're inclined to not want conversation, I pay and go.

If they're miserable, that's their problem not mine.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

They're getting paid minimum wage to deal with customers asking for things like, "Caramel latte with half skim milk, half 2%, light on the cream, 2 sugars, 4 splenda, and exactly 2 dashes of cinnamon on top". I can feel their pain.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zensword

@jasean79 said:

They're getting paid minimum wage to deal with customers asking for things like, "Caramel latte with half skim milk, half 2%, light on the cream, 2 sugars, 4 splenda, and exactly 2 dashes of cinnamon on top". I can feel their pain.

lol pain ? Seriously, it's a gross exaggeration. But even if it's true, it's not the excuse to not saying hello to customers.

Those f$%^** cashiers should be fired.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jasean79

@Zensword said:

@jasean79 said:

lol pain ? Seriously, it's a gross exaggeration. But even if it's true, it's not the excuse to not saying hello to customers.

I was being sarcastic, obviously...but what some customers order at Starbux is ridiculous. I take my coffee black; I'm easy.

In all honesty, it comes down to people not caring about doing a good job. A job in retail, like a cashier, pays very little and there's no incentive to do anything above and beyond what's necessary - ringing up a customer, so why should they? Once in a while, you get that personable worker who you can tell cares about their job and enjoys going out of their way to say "hello", but that's few and far between.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I usually have a smile when I walk up to the counter. All the cashiers who have taken my orders smiled back even if they didn't say hello. That's good enough to me.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@Zensword: As long as you get your coffee, and the person making the coffee doesn't spit in it, who cares?

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I try to acknowledge people when I'm working, even if just with a nod or a smile, and always say hi when people walk up to whatever desk I'm standing behind.

I've met many miserable cashiers and aim never to be one.

Though the comment made about cashiers/retail workers never being really given the incentive to go above and beyond is true. I do it because I'm a f***ing awesome employee, not because my employer actually notices or cares.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Yeah, I'm usually the one greeting them instead. That's because I know how much of a pain it is to work with relentless customers and know they can ruin anyone's day. Working in retail, you learn these things. But that is not an excuse to be rude, as long as they don't treat me like some asshole, I'm fine, regardless if they greet me or not. If I feel like you're talking to me like an ass though, then I'll just like screw you too, buddy.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

...yeah, you want to know who are bigger assholes? People who go out of their way to complain about cashiers not saying hello.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jasean79

@-paranorman- said:

Yeah, I'm usually the one greeting them instead. That's because I know how much of a pain it is to work with relentless customers and know they can ruin anyone's day. Working in retail, you learn these things. But that is not an excuse to be rude, as long as they don't treat me like some asshole, I'm fine, regardless if they greet me or not. If I feel like you're talking to me like an ass though, then I'll just like screw you too, buddy.

And suffice to say, it IS part of their job to greet customers. That's like the first thing you learn about being in retail. I think saying "hello" takes very little effort, but that little greeting can make a big difference in the overall customer experience.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

I remember serving this nice lady at work and she said I had a sunny disposition which she didn't really see much in cashiers. I just think it's nice to be nice, haha.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I fully understand what they're going through and don't let it bother me. 98% of the people they deal with are insufferably stupid self important jerks. I just be sure to tell them to have a good day after I'm done and hope they make it through.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

As a supermarket cashier i try to say hello to every customer. Sometimes i hold off greeting them if they don't make eye contact, but i ALWAYS say have a nice day/good night after i hand them their change and receipt.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@jasean79 said:

So can i

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

They deal with people that treat them like dirt everyday.. Really not a big deal

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

@basutei said:

I initiate the interaction: "Hi, how's it going?"

If they're inclined to not want conversation, I pay and go.

If they're miserable, that's their problem not mine.

This is the same thing i do... I don't mind making a friendly effort, but i'm not interested in being a jerk to them if they don't make the same effort.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

well, it's hard to be cheerful when you're a minimum wage working peon working two jobs and getting 5 hours of sleep a night just to make ends meet

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

...yeah, you want to know who are bigger assholes? People who go out of their way to complain about cashiers not saying hello.

Exactly.....

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@Zensword said:

There are many cashiers (Starbucks, McDonald's ect in US) who just stare at me when I walk up to them to order, I feel very annoyed.

are you Ugly or less attractive person ? ... if yes .... that's what triggered the cashier's reaction upon you ....

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zensword
@SaintLeonidas said:

Insult me just because I have a legit complaint ? This is totally uncalled for. You and LJ deserve that title than me, I'm sure.

So many people here are liars, I'm sure they feel annoy when a cashier just stares at their faces without saying hi, smile or thank you, or don't even tell how much you owe.

With cashiers like those people, I'd prefer a self check out machines. But alas, Starbucks, McDonalds' and many other super market still don't have self check out machines.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I can't say this really happens to me, but if it were to happen I feel like I would understand the plight of being underpaid (by which I mean not enough to live on) to do a job that is not fulfilling in the least.

I would probably just greet them in some manner and move on with my life. At least they wouldn't be trying to sign me up for a damn credit card.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Leave them alone man, isn't it enough that they're cashiers?

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

met a person that said everyone should have to work retail at least once in their lives. I can recall from my experiences it makes you realize how frustrating it can be to deal with humans as tempermental-spur of the moment traffic.

Not every person is as good at holding fake smiles. Not everyone can hold up our happiness. We have to choose that. Sometimes you catch someone on a bad day. I just want my order correct thats all.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zensword

@platinumking320 said:

met a person that said everyone should have to work retail at least once in their lives. I can recall from my experiences it makes you realize how frustrating it can be to deal with humans as tempermental-spur of the moment traffic.

Not every person is as good at holding fake smiles. Not everyone can hold up our happiness. We have to choose that. Sometimes you catch someone on a bad day. I just want my order correct thats all.

they don't have to fake a force smile or ask me :'How are you ?", just say :"Hello" or "Hi". That's enough. People here give me the impression that saying hello is too difficult.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

well, it's hard to be cheerful when you're a minimum wage working peon working two jobs and getting 5 hours of sleep a night just to make ends meet

We can only hope that they're doing their best to advance themselves and move up in society. People who settle for these types of jobs instead of using them as a means to an end are quite silly.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@Zensword: don't get me wrong I'm not arguing that they are being good employees, just that I can sympathize enough to understand why they might be doing only what is minimally required to b adequate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

Insult me just because I have a legit complaint ? This is totally uncalled for. You and LJ deserve that title than me, I'm sure.

So many people here are liars, I'm sure they feel annoy when a cashier just stares at their faces without saying hi, smile or thank you, or don't even tell how much you owe.

With cashiers like those people, I'd prefer a self check out machines. But alas, Starbucks, McDonalds' and many other super market still don't have self check out machines.

Dude you need to learn to chill.....entirely too high strung over not be greeted. All that matters is they take care of the sale. Period.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

You are only proving my point now. If this topic is such a big issue in your life that it causes you to become this angry, then you really need to live a bit more.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zensword

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

You are only proving my point now. If this topic is such a big issue in your life that it causes you to become this angry, then you really need to live a bit more.

Angry over this topic ? No, Angry because being insulted ? yes.

A guy who complains and 2 guys who insulted that guy, who are bigger assholes ?

GTFO both of you.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Would something like this make you feel better TC?

Loading Video...

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@Zensword said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

GTFO both of you.

Insulted? Someone not saying hello to you gets your panties in a bunch?

You seriously need to get out more.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Zensword said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

GTFO both of you.

What does getting out more have anything to do with disrespectful employees. I get out a lot, and it is quite disrespectful when you salute someone and they don't reply.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

@Zensword said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

GTFO both of you.

What does getting out more have anything to do with disrespectful employees. I get out a lot, and it is quite disrespectful when you salute someone and they don't reply.

Getting out more and growing a thicker skin because there's more shit to deal with in this world than throwing a pissy fit when someone doesn't say hello.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic  Online
@Zensword said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Zensword said:
@SaintLeonidas said:

GTFO both of you.

Wow you really need to man up dude and stop the whining....

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

yeah i just dont get it not everyone is a social freak. i dont get why people get so angry cause you dont talk to them. maybe i cant think of anything to say! get over yourself! im not a very sociable person and i just get tired of saying it to be honest it just gets redundant. got forced into to cashiering and i really dont like it.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

@-Blasphemy- said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

yeah i just dont get it not everyone is a social freak. i dont get why people get so angry cause you dont talk to them. maybe i cant think of anything to say! get over yourself!

Saying hello is not being a social freak... It's one word and it's to acknowledge someone else existence with respect.

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

@RadecSupreme said:

@-Blasphemy- said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

yeah i just dont get it not everyone is a social freak. i dont get why people get so angry cause you dont talk to them. maybe i cant think of anything to say! get over yourself!

Saying hello is not being a social freak... It's one word and it's to acknowledge someone else existence with respect.

alot of times thats not enough though they want you to talk to them and sometimes i just cant think of anything to say or the right things to say. that shit kills me when you have a line and they want to tell you their life story. i always say hello though or have a good day when im done

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@GazaAli: "Leave them alone man, isn't it enough that they're cashiers?"

What's wrong with being a cashier at least it's a job they're earning an honest buck, it's not like people haven't worked their way up from the bottom before? Keep your snobbish comments to yourself.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I was once a retail cashier (in a gas bar mind you). I do not generate any rage towards retail employees. I walked a mile in their shoes.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

What you expect from someone making minimal wage?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic  Online

@k2theswiss said:

What you expect from someone making minimal wage?

Not entirely true....

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

You're interacting with the people lowest on the workforce totem pole when you talk to a cashier. They get paid crap, they get treated like crap at least once a shift, and most people don't enjoy working where they do. I wouldn't worry about cashiers. There's much bigger things in life to worry about.

VMaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VMaven
Member since 2002 • 35 Posts

@Zensword: Yes, so we can use our tax dollars so they stay at home, collecting $ for doing less then what they're doing now. Makes a $#!tload of sense now.

@Zensword said:

@jasean79 said:

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#48 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

@Zensword: They'll be replaced by robots soon so get used to it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#49 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@me1yb said:

are you fucking kidding me? did you not get the attention you need as a child so you look for it in everyday people who just trying to do their job? did you want them to wipe your ass too?

he probably was busy and forgot to say hello. or what if he says it everyday and just forgot or didn't have the time to say hello? quit taking it so damn personal. You're 1 out of 1000 people. Who cares. You're not special at all. Even if you complain they will not get written up or in trouble. WE laugh about it later and continue DOING OUR JOB. We're only bad employees if we call out or are late, or if we steal. IF you are so bothered then take your business else where. Go to the Quick trip and get your stupid coffee there.

its people like you which makes our mood so shitty. We're not interested in how your day goes or what life is about. You get in fucking line, order, and then get your receipt. We're not trained say "HI HOW ARE YOU?" most people ignore us and don't care to have a conversation you poon. All that matters is that you get your coffee how you ordered it. It boggles my mind that even though you didnt say anything to someone, you're considered "rude" How can we be rude, if we didn't say anything offensive. or anything. Bunch of entitled people who think that we should grovel to them for their approval. You're opinion doesn't matter and I don't care about your day.

Looking for attention? You mean, like YOU bumping a three year old thread? ...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#50 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@me1yb: So you're saying that the TC is overreacting for complaining about it but you're the one who creates a GS account to reply to a 3 year old thread? Sounds perfectly reasonable.