Boring books you have read and books you couldn't finish

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Sure we all have our favorite books and we see topics about them from time to time. But what about boring books or books so bad we never managed to finish it? Heres my list of ones I can think of. Finished: Dune Frankenstein (After reading it a 2nd time it got listed here. Liked it years ago when I read it the first time but after a 2nd reading I find it boring Books I wasn't able to finish: Dracula Lord of The Rings The Fellowship of The Ring When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve tales from the dark side of discovery God The Failed Hypothesis Okay so When Science Goes Wrong I read a few of them but got bored and never went past the 2nd or 3rd one. Dracula was taking me way too long to read so I gave up. Same with LotR. Dune felt like it dragged on but I finished it. Just barely.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

A Tony Hillerman novel about some guy stealing pots in a desert. Probably turned himself in because of how boring his life was.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastesttruck

A Tony Hillerman novel about some guy stealing pots in a desert. Probably turned himself in because of how boring his life was.

Nude_Dude
omg that sounds boring. The guy just went around stealing pots?
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I finished Frankenstein, and the Scarlet Letter. I got through most of The Foundation, but I accidentally left it on a plane and not a single f*** was given that day.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy "Cujo" by Stephen King "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams All three I had to stop and put on hold one after another because I really wasn't in the mood to read them. That was the begin of my book reading fatigue. I started reading again with The Hobbit last month, finished it earlier this week. I picked up Cujo again on Tuesday and have almost finished it already. I just needed to be in the mood for it. The Dragonbone Chair was also a fun read, but I had been taking my time with it and I wanted to move onto something else. I'll definitely start reading it again soon. The Road is another story though. I really wasn't feeling it at all...
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts
[QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

fastesttruck

Yeah, he really loved those pots. Two policemen were after him, doing exciting things like following truck trails and asking old guys with amnesia about the pot hunter's whereabouts. Gave up reading halfway through.
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

The Bone People-considering it's about 800 pages long and it had to be done in 3 weeks...forget that.
Hard Times-forced to do so in HS. Used sparknotes.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fastesttruck
[QUOTE="fastesttruck"][QUOTE="Nude_Dude"]

Nude_Dude

Yeah, he really loved those pots. Two policemen were after him, doing exciting things like following truck trails and asking old guys with amnesia about the pot hunter's whereabouts. Gave up reading halfway through.

Wow. I don't think I would have even made it half way. Reading a review about it might be kinda funny tho
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Recently...Mein Kampf.

I couldn't finish reading it.

Horribly written.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fastesttruck

The Bone People-considering it's about 800 pages long and it had to be done in 3 weeks...forget that.Hard Times-forced to do so in HS. Used sparknotes.

Desulated
Long books tend to bore the hell out of me. 3 weeks? Thats prob something I'd say F it to. Yay sparknotes
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fastesttruck
I finished Frankenstein, and the Scarlet Letter. I got through most of The Foundation, but I accidentally left it on a plane and not a single f*** was given that day.cd_rom
Someone got a free book out of it!
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fastesttruck
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy "Cujo" by Stephen King "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams All three I had to stop and put on hold one after another because I really wasn't in the mood to read them. That was the begin of my book reading fatigue. I started reading again with The Hobbit last month, finished it earlier this week. I picked up Cujo again on Tuesday and have almost finished it already. I just needed to be in the mood for it. The Dragonbone Chair was also a fun read, but I had been taking my time with it and I wanted to move onto something else. I'll definitely start reading it again soon. The Road is another story though. I really wasn't feeling it at all...

Whats The Road about?
Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#13 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

[QUOTE="Desulated"]

The Bone People-considering it's about 800 pages long and it had to be done in 3 weeks...forget that.Hard Times-forced to do so in HS. Used sparknotes.

fastesttruck

Long books tend to bore the hell out of me. 3 weeks? Thats prob something I'd say F it to. Yay sparknotes

XD :P

Yeah, I felt like an idiot having taken that course making me read a book that's 800 pages long. That doesn't include the other readings for my other courses.

Correction: It's 500 pages, not 800. Blame my poor memory skills. But the font is still small and I can barely understand the book. :lol:

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Any book they made me read in high school. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Scarlett Letter, etc. Used spark notes for everything and always got As. My guessing skills are unparalleled. 8)
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I couldn't finish Eragon despite hearing so much good about it. I'll try to get through it though but at the moment, I can't see myself enjoying much more of the book.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Asimov's guide to science, A short history of nearly everything - I always give up at the sub-atomic particle physics parts of these types of books Sword of shanara - Just felt like a LOTR rip off
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Most of the books I had to read in 10th and 11th grade were boring as hell.

3riForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 3riForce
Member since 2004 • 2293 Posts
You've only finished two books in your life? Anyway this term I was supposed to read "To the Lighthouse" and "Heart of Darkness" and I couldn't finish either because of how badly I was spacing out.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
Lord Jim is the only book I never finished. Jane Eyre is the only book I wish I hadn't. I have a feeling that I'll feel the same about Portrait of a Lady, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Books I couldn't finish: The Hobbit. *puts flame shield on*
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Finished: The Sun Also Rises The Stranger As I Lay Dying Prodigal Son Not finished: Brave New World Rabbit, Run Over Sea, Under Stone The Stand Wicked The Subtle Knife
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theokhoth
Lord Jim is the only book I never finished. Jane Eyre is the only book I wish I hadn't. I have a feeling that I'll feel the same about Portrait of a Lady, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.mattbbpl
You don't like Jane Eyre? That book was awesome!
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Lord Jim is the only book I never finished. Jane Eyre is the only book I wish I hadn't. I have a feeling that I'll feel the same about Portrait of a Lady, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.Theokhoth

I know, it's something that I think I should like (given my taste for a lot of classic literature and that it comes so highly recommended), but I just couldn't bite into it. My wife has a book containing the Bronte sisters' works, so I may give another book of theirs a shot - but not Jane Eyre. I've already tried so hard to get into it that I just know it's never going to happen.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I couldn't finish Moby Dick. I know there's a good story buried in there, but I'm not interested enough in cetology to get to it.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
[QUOTE="Desulated"]

fastesttruck

Something tells me you might appreciate Squashed Writers. It's basically tons of classics condensed (i.e. the actual words of the author, just picked and chosen to give the complete story) into stuff you can read in about thirty minutes. It's like Sparknotes, but you get a better feel for the works and the way the author wrote them. What I've noticed is they tend to center around fewer plots, but reading those and then the Sparknotes doesn't take long and gets you familiar enough with a work to be able to discuss it. Worth a shot at the very least. Ironically, the first work I read on there was Hard Times. I then read the Sparknotes. I was then compelled to read the book in its entirety. The best part is that you're familiar enough with the work by that point to read straight through and pick up on just about everything. The time put into Squashed Writers and Sparknotes is definitely made up during the reading process itself. Plus your understanding of the work is so much greater because it's almost like your third time through the work.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]Lord Jim is the only book I never finished. Jane Eyre is the only book I wish I hadn't. I have a feeling that I'll feel the same about Portrait of a Lady, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.Theokhoth

Theo, don't make me not love you.
Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Twilight - read because the wife said it was good.

Worst vampire story I've ever had the misfortune to waste my time reading. Actually skipped large portions of the book.

Glowing vampires lol. Vampire thats 500 years old redoes highschool to appear normal. Doesn't he know how to invest money ? Theres like no downside to being a vampire so why wouldn't everyone be one.

Horrible writer and story.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UCF_Knight

Awesome as in... the feeling it gives you when you're finished and never have to look at it again?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
Member since 2010 • 629 Posts
i had trouble getting through some of the sherlock holmes storys i always ended up falling asleep
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i took an american theater class and the beginning had a lot of really bad playwrights' sloppy melodramas that only got into the course because they had supposedly important titles (early american plays get a lot "firsts", they had an important actor exemplary of a performance type, or whatever). there were a few that i didnt finish.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

Boring Book I Did Finish: Great Expectations

Boring Book I Couldn't Finish: The Red Badge of Courage

DJjoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DJjoey
Member since 2004 • 1160 Posts
In school, many years ago, I had to read this book called "The Dwarf From Normandy" It was about, check this out, these 4 girls, right? And they're like, at this castle, where they receive all sorts of education in everything, and they have to, listen to this, THEY, the 4 girls, have to sit in this room, AND.....are you paying attention guys, cause this is were it gets exciting! They have to make some tapestry...that's it, they just sit there, embroidering, or whatever. Eventually they're done. Also some dwarf comes along and watches them while they're embroidering, he's from Normandy or something. BAM! 550 pages.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"] Awesome as in... the feeling it gives you when you're finished and never have to look at it again?

Theo, don't make me not love you.scorch-62
Man, you people don't know nuting!
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 scorch-62
Man, you people don't know nuting!Theokhoth
Yes, it's everyone else who's wrong.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Man, you people don't know nuting!scorch-62

Now you're gettin' it!
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 scorch-62
[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Man, you people don't know nuting!Theokhoth

Now you're gettin' it!

You're insane.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#37 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

Twilight - read because the wife said it was good.

Worst vampire story I've ever had the misfortune to waste my time reading. Actually skipped large portions of the book.

Glowing vampires lol. Vampire thats 500 years old redoes highschool to appear normal. Doesn't he know how to invest money ? Theres like no downside to being a vampire so why wouldn't everyone be one.

Horrible writer and story.

Skarwolf

Yeah, not exactly a horrible life to live. It's asif the writer forgot she made up her own vampires but used their personalities from actual vampire stories.

1. Immortal
  2. Super speed
  3. A possible second "power" (Reading minds, mind can't be read)
  4. Hunger is only caused by blood (so you can drink animal blood)
  5. You can still be yourself before you became a vampire. (No losing your soul, not becoming evil; unless you CHOOSE to be bad).
  6. Sun light does not kill you! (But you glow)

One downside, YOU GLOW! It will take practice but you can keep yourself away from eating humans, so what's not really not to like becoming a vampire? You're not a monster.

EDIT: Read all four books, the last one is hilarious.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
Under the Dome by Stephen King
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="scorch-62"] Yes, it's everyone else who's wrong.

Now you're gettin' it!

You're insane.

Agreed. Sorry Theo. :P
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Age of Concent
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I had to read A Tale of Two Cities in high school, terribly boring.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

Robinson Crusoe...

The only positive thing i can say about it is that it made me feel like i was trapped on some crappy island in the middle of the ocean with no living soul in sight.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"] Now you're gettin' it!

You're insane.

Agreed. Sorry Theo. :P

My sanity (or lack thereof) is beside the point. :x
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

Robinson Crusoe...

The only positive thing i can say about it is that it made me feel like i was trapped on some crappy island in the middle of the ocean with no living soul in sight.

Haha, I made a lot of money reading that book in elementary school. I didn't think it was too bad, but it wasn't something I'd want to read again (at least without any money involved) :P
Scr00I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Scr00I
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Snow Crash sounded pretty damn cool, but it didnt hold my interest. I will retry.

UserBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UserBane
Member since 2010 • 994 Posts

Finished: The Sun Also Rises The Stranger As I Lay Dying Prodigal Son Not finished: Brave New World Rabbit, Run Over Sea, Under Stone The Stand Wicked The Subtle KnifeTheokhoth

You had trouble finishing The Stranger? That book is short and sweet (well bitter-sweet).

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I've never given up on a book of fiction no matter how dull it was and non-fiction books I sometimes read in a very piece-meal fashion so I wouldn't really count those. As far as books I found pretty darn dull to the point that I had to really push myself to finish them would be Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy, Moby Dick, and most books I have read by Goethe. I keep meaning to tackle Proust just because of its size and the intense warnings I receive from literary folks that they are the death knell of reading enjoyment. I figured that I was warned about how tough so many people found Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov to finish up and yet I ended up enjoying that immensely so...who knows?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Finished: The Sun Also Rises The Stranger As I Lay Dying Prodigal Son Not finished: Brave New World Rabbit, Run Over Sea, Under Stone The Stand Wicked The Subtle KnifeUserBane

You had trouble finishing The Stranger? That book is short and sweet (well bitter-sweet).

And agonizingly boring.
Wren28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wren28
Member since 2005 • 27811 Posts

Asimov's guide to science, A short history of nearly everything - I always give up at the sub-atomic particle physics parts of these types of books Sword of shanara - Just felt like a LOTR rip offmarkop2003

Omg, Terry Brooks is brilliant, I love his Shannara series and he is so much easier to read than Tolkien. Lots of fantasy authors write similarly, I can find similarities between Lord of the Rings and any other modern day fantasy book out there...lol.

Anyway to be on topic, The Scarlet Letter...oh how I HATE that book and never want to read it again. Fellowship of the Ring did start off boring for me as well, but it eventually did pick up. I find Jane Austen uninteresting (although I did like the films of Pride and Prejudice, I just can't get the interest to read the book)...Great Expectations by Dickens is another book I cannot stand...like the other books of his I've read, but that one...ugh.

The Other Half Lives, I think I got 50 pages into it and had to put it down I was so bored. The Bronte sisters books I do not find interesting enough to keep my attention (except Jane Eyre)...yes with Bronte, Austen and Dickens I think it is the language at times, although I can understand Shakespeare easily enough, but those three...

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i'm a big reader, so some **** gets mixed in with the good, these two being the worst.

The Great Gatsby *Spoiler* they talk about going to a house party, and then they go
The Catcher in the Rye *Spoiler* kid skips school, thinks about runinng away, and then doesn't