Black History Month is here! GET PUMPED!

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#51 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

I do not get why blacks are singled out.

themajormayor

:| Read a history book.

Yeah?

Uh huh.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] :| Read a history book.BranKetra

Yeah?

Uh huh.

werf
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

I'm not black, but I'm very interested in commemorating this and wondering how I can learn more.

Can anyone help? How do immerse myself in blackness for a month?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Menalque2

Just some simple face paint is effective.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Why don't white people get there own month? I want October.

HyperWarlock
You got the other eleven months. Let the brothas have one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Capitan_Kid

Thats not true. History is history regardless of race. The other 11 months aren't exclusive to white people.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

toast_burner

Thats not true. History is history regardless of race. The other 11 months aren't exclusive to white people.

Of course not but whats wrong with having one month to show your pride in your ethnicity? Noone is stopping you from picking a month, day, or week to show the accomplishments your people have made.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] You got the other eleven months. Let the brothas have oneCapitan_Kid

Of course not but whats wrong with having one month to show your pride in your ethnicity? Noone is stopping you from picking a month, day, or week to show the accomplishments your people have made.

It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone who's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 themajormayor

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Thats not true. History is history regardless of race. The other 11 months aren't exclusive to white people.

toast_burner

It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone how's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

Yes
HerbieCucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 HerbieCucumber
Member since 2009 • 601 Posts

Can anyone help?

Menalque2
Sure thing my dear curious friend! As a proud black man I can help you with this. Quite simply you do >wondering how I can learn more. anything but this.
infinite884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 infinite884
Member since 2008 • 701 Posts

honestly, this is awesome

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Thats not true. History is history regardless of race. The other 11 months aren't exclusive to white people.

toast_burner

It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone how's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

Its awesome for me to know the things african americans contributed to society. Theres nothing wrong with taking pride in the good things your people have done throughout. Everyones proud of something they have or can do. Being irritated by that is kinda silly
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 branketra

I'm not black, but I'm very interested in commemorating this and wondering how I can learn more.

Menalque2

I guess google black history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Of course not but whats wrong with having one month to show your pride in your ethnicity? Noone is stopping you from picking a month, day, or week to show the accomplishments your people have made.Capitan_Kid

Its awesome for me to know the things african americans contributed to society. Theres nothing wrong with taking pride in the good things your people have done throughout. Everyones proud of something they have or can do. Being irritated by that is kinda silly

That didn't answer my question? Why does it matter if they are black or white? Shouldn't it be what you achieve that matters, not what other people do? Why do you feel the need to separate history, can't we just look at humanity as a whole?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 themajormayor

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone how's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

toast_burner

That didn't answer my question? Why does it matter if they are black or white? Shouldn't it be what you achieve that matters, not what other people do? Why do you feel the need to separate history, can't we just look at humanity as a whole?

Your ethnicity is like your extended family

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 branketra

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone how's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

toast_burner

That's the thing. People don't. As the saying goes, "history is written by the written by the winners."

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Capitan_Kid

toast_burner

Why does it matter? Because thats the race I am. Its who I identify with. They are my people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Its awesome for me to know the things african americans contributed to society. Theres nothing wrong with taking pride in the good things your people have done throughout. Everyones proud of something they have or can do. Being irritated by that is kinda sillyCapitan_Kid

Why does it matter? Because thats the race I am. Its who I identify with. They are my people.

I don't give a **** about my race. Why do you?

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]That didn't answer my question? Why does it matter if they are black or white? Shouldn't it be what you achieve that matters, not what other people do? Why do you feel the need to separate history, can't we just look at humanity as a whole?

toast_burner

I dont know. I just do. Its my people. How could i not care? How can you not care about what is essentially apart of yourself?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Why does it matter? Because thats the race I am. Its who I identify with. They are my people. Capitan_Kid

I dont know. I just do. Its my people. How could i not care? How can you not care about what is essentially apart of yourself?

Because I don't agree with separating people based on their race. I believe that there is no such thing as black accomplishments or white ones. When Neil Armstrong went to the moon did he say "one giant leap for white people"?

HerbieCucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 HerbieCucumber

Because I don't agree with separating people based on their race. I believe that there is no such thing as black accomplishments or white ones. When Neil Armstrong went to the moon did he say "one giant leap for white people"?

toast_burner
No, but the alternative was pretty fuсking insensitive to Martians.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]I don't give a **** about my race. Why do you?

you sirrah have a valid point,
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]I don't give a **** about my race. Why do you?

toast_burner

Its not about seperating races. Why is it such a big deal to you that for ONE MONTH african americans have pride in the accomplishments their people have made. This month has never been about showing which race is superior or anything like thatI guess its hard to understand if youre not black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] I dont know. I just do. Its my people. How could i not care? How can you not care about what is essentially apart of yourself?Capitan_Kid

Its not about seperating races. Why is it such a big deal to you that for ONE MONTH african Americans have pride in the accomplishments their people have made. I guess its hard to understand if youre not black

I'm a man but I never feel the need to look back at all the great men in history, because those people had nothing to do with me. Sharing a characteristic with someone doesn't mean that what they do somehow rubs off on you.

HerbieCucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 HerbieCucumber
its hard to understand if youre not blackCapitan_Kid
THAT is actually kind of really racist.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts

toast_burner

It really irritates me when people take pride in their race. Why does it matter if the person is black or white? does it somehow make you feel better if when someone who's successful just happens to have the same colour skin as you?

Because, whether you like to admit it or not, your race is a part of you, however small, in today's society. It shapes your experiences and having pride in yourself, totally and completely, is having pride in every aspect of yourself. If you're a black male from Chicago and you're proud of yourself and your life, you're proud of being black, of being male, of being an American, of where you live as much as you are proud of the things you've done. They're all contributing factors.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]its hard to understand if youre not blackHerbieCucumber

Not really. A lot of the people who bash this month truly could not understand it due to those social circumstances. Im not saying he cant appreciate it or celebrate it but when youre african american you have a different type of feeling towards it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="HerbieCucumber"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]its hard to understand if youre not blackCapitan_Kid

Not really. A lot of the people who bash this month truly could not understand it due to those social circumstances. Im not saying he cant appreciate it or celebrate it but when youre african american you have a different type of feeling towards it.

Why don't you explain it to me then?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#79 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Just 1 month? Can't be much to learn then.
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
I never really understood how so many are quick to say not to judge a person by the color of his skin. The entire thing seems to apply especially to Blacks. The whole racism thing would seem a lot sillier than it is if skin color mattered.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
a white kid in my class 4-5 years ago was talking about how black history month is one of the most pointless things in the world and how it doesn't deserve even the shortest month, all the black kids got mad. was funny.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

[QUOTE="EJ902"][QUOTE="JML897"]

Also why isn't there a White Entertainment Television :cry:

JML897

im glad thers not because thhat would be boring as s***

White Entertainment Television = ABC/NBC/FOX/CBS

BET is owned by viacom
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 SaintWalrus

And I disagree on schools teaching less about African Americans if there wasn't a black history month.

Schools have a set curriculum and a short amount of time to teach it

They mainly focus on the big events of America and some of AA accomplishments.

It's just like World History

No time to teach everything about the greeks so you're just going to have to research on your own.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SaintWalrus
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Of course not but whats wrong with having one month to show your pride in your ethnicity? Noone is stopping you from picking a month, day, or week to show the accomplishments your people have made.Capitan_Kid

I'm black and I don't take pride in being black. I'm proud to be myself. African American accomplishments are accomplishments of the human race A triumph of the human spirit. It is not limited to a certain group.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

SaintWalrus

I'm black and I don't take pride in being black. I'm proud to be myself. African American accomplishments are accomplishments of the human race A triumph of the human spirit. It is not limited to a certain group.

Pretty much what I was saying

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SaintWalrus

And of course a race was fighting for their rights to be as equal as another race of people.

But what it all comes down to is just a battle of Good Vs Evil.

A group of people fighting against tyranny. This is something every single human being can relate to, regardless of race.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SaintWalrus

And about people saying "Oh, it's a time to learn more about frequently forgotten history."

If you've waited 336 days to educate yourself on some history, then you my friend need to read more.

The best thing to do to commemorate Black History Month, if you agree with that sort of thing, is to be the best possible citizen you can

Love and cherish everything you have.

You will be doing a service to those who have suffered by living life to the fullest and being yourself.

I believe it was the great Zora Neale Hurston who said

"But I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. I do not mind at all. I do not belong to the sobbing school of Negrohood who hold that nature somehow has given them a lowdown dirty deal and whose feelings are all but about it. Even in the helter-skelter skirmish that is my life, I have seen that the world is to the strong regardless of a little pigmentation more of less. No, I do not weep at the world--I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife."

Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

Why don't they just incorporate black history into history classes?

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 SaintWalrus

Why don't they just incorporate black history into history classes?

Conno08
Not enough time to teach all of Black History At my old high school, we had classes devoted to African American studies.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

a white kid in my class 4-5 years ago was talking about how black history month is one of the most pointless things in the world and how it doesn't deserve even the shortest month, all the black kids got mad. was funny.themagicbum9720

Tell him that white people do not deserve history unless maybe they share a month with criminal history month.

I am white and this is what I would say, I am glad that we have a month to remember the struggles of a persecuted group and what they contributed to our society.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]a white kid in my class 4-5 years ago was talking about how black history month is one of the most pointless things in the world and how it doesn't deserve even the shortest month, all the black kids got mad. was funny.Banjo_Kongfooie

Tell him that white people do not deserve history unless maybe they share a month with criminal history month.

I am white and this is what I would say, I am glad that we have a month to remember the struggles of a persecuted group and what they contributed to our society.

White people do have a history month

It's called Irish-American history month

Asian history month, Hispanic History month, Jewish History month, Black history month, Native american history month etc etc

All these heritage months just prove that all races go through struggle, So why do we designate specific months

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I don't know where to begin! Should I date a black woman, make a new secret hand shake with an African American male, or should I just reminisce on how far the race has come as a whole?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Obligatory white history month rant.

katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#94 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
I'm going to celebrate by not giving a $hit.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] I dont know. I just do. Its my people. How could i not care? How can you not care about what is essentially apart of yourself?Capitan_Kid

Its not about seperating races. Why is it such a big deal to you that for ONE MONTH african americans have pride in the accomplishments their people have made. This month has never been about showing which race is superior or anything like thatI guess its hard to understand if youre not black

i thought this might bring you to your senses

Kcinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Kcinz
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts
I'm white and I don't think I'll be accepted into the brotherhood :(
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

and if there was a white history month it would be considered raciest....such a double standard its stupid...when will it end...

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

No, it is not black history month, they had Martin Luther King day. Well whatever, I never notice anyways.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
So much anal anguish in one thread. My favorite part about black history month is seeing people get all butt blasted over not celebrating white 365 days a year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Where's my white british homosexual history month?