Bill Gates or Steve Jobs: Which one you consider to be more visionary / smarter?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Clearly both are highly accomplished individuals, but which one you believe is more visionary & smarter?

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
Gates by a long shot.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Bill Gates and it's not even close. He created the universal standard. Jobs deals in gimmicks and trends.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Well didn't Gates pretty much steal from Apple. It's been a while since I've seen the flick Pirates of Silicon Valley.
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

I'd say it depends on where you are looking from. Jobs was more hardware in the early days, and helped invent one of the first PC's. Gates bought the product that would become the Windows operating system. I'd still go Gates, but Jobs was and still is a big player today. Gates kind of just sits in the background at the moment, does charity work.

Buttmonkey9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Buttmonkey9000
Member since 2005 • 2875 Posts

Bill Gates and it's not even close. He created the universal standard. Jobs deals in gimmicks and trends.

Pirate700
Exactly - It might seem that Gates is 'smarter' while Jobs is the 'visionary' because of Apple's 'style'; But to use the 'think ouside the box metaphor' :P the box that Jobs allegedly thinks outside of was effectively created by Bill Gates.
ShAbInAtOr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 ShAbInAtOr
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts
Well didn't Gates pretty much steal from Apple. It's been a while since I've seen the flick Pirates of Silicon Valley.Nifty_Shark
No not really.No.No he didn't.No.Idon't think so.Nope.NANA.No. :lol:
ShAbInAtOr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShAbInAtOr
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

Bill Gates all the way...!

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]Well didn't Gates pretty much steal from Apple. It's been a while since I've seen the flick Pirates of Silicon Valley.ShAbInAtOr

Well in the movie it had Bill and his team working with those new LISA computers and basically Bill modified it a bit and started selling it as Windows.

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts

iPhone revolutionized my life...

can't say the same for anything Bill Gates has achieved...I dont even use windows anymore

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts
Bill obviously, steve stole his tablet idea- he also stole stuff from xerox, he is kinda psychotic.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

iPhone revolutionized my life... can't say the same for anything Bill Gates has achievedsboyer2
How about the computer you're on now? And if a phone revolutionized your life.....

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts

[QUOTE="sboyer2"]iPhone revolutionized my life... can't say the same for anything Bill Gates has achievedPirate700

How about the computer you're on now? And if a phone revolutionized your life.....

i use a mac
Buttmonkey9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Buttmonkey9000
Member since 2005 • 2875 Posts
iPhone revolutionized my life... can't say the same for anything Bill Gates has achievedsboyer2
So Microsoft hasn't revolutionized your life in any way whatsoever... If Microsoft had never existed, you're life would be exactly the same?
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
I like Gates better as a person, Jobs is just a dick. I can't say I like the companies Apple or Microsoft though; lately Apple been getting worse and worse. Wozniak >>> Gates >>>> Jobs.
ushotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ushotdead
Member since 2008 • 402 Posts

I'll say Steve Jobs because you guys can cry and scream all you want about Apple, but the fact is he's a genious marketer and can sell his proucts EVEN IF THEY'RE GARBAGE.

But it doesn't really matter what I say here because you guys are incredibly biased towards apple so you'll probably start saying a bunch of things against Steve Jobs.

inb410millionpc>mac pics

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I think they're both nothing without the armada of genuinely intelligent, creative people working for them. They both just have the honor of taking what those hard-working people create and unveiling it on a stage in front of all the media.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

Bill Gates. He did create the highest-selling operating system. And also, because Apple is evil.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

Billy G. he created it all

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Pirate700

This, most definitely. Gates was good at producing programs that pushed computing forwards. Jobs knows what sells to a particular type of consumer, and knows how to exploit it (much like Nintendo has done with the Wii). They are both intellignet in their own ways, but Gates has done far more for the computing industry before 1990 than Jobs could ever hope to do in his lifetime.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Well didn't Gates pretty much steal from Apple. It's been a while since I've seen the flick Pirates of Silicon Valley.Nifty_Shark
Wouldn't that make him smarter then?
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Bill Gates by far...
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ninja-Hippo

can't say the same for anything Bill Gates has achieved...I dont even use windows anymore

sboyer2
Your life was revolutionised by a phone? :? How does your life differ so dramatically now that you have a phone?
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

I just voted Gates cause Steve seems to be full of himself these days.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="ShAbInAtOr"][QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]Well didn't Gates pretty much steal from Apple. It's been a while since I've seen the flick Pirates of Silicon Valley.Nifty_Shark

Well in the movie it had Bill and his team working with those new LISA computers and basically Bill modified it a bit and started selling it as Windows.

Apple have an incredibly annoying habit of trying to patent things and claim they invented certain technologies which they just didn't. Many aspects of basic OS design were widely used by all kinds of companies making all kinds of OS software. Microsoft finally make a successful one then all of a sudden Apple decide they invented it all and were just letting others use it out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm glad they were laughed out of the patent office when they tried to patent the touch screen. :roll:
Immortal--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Immortal--
Member since 2010 • 1415 Posts
Definitely Bill Gates.
35th_shields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 35th_shields
Member since 2010 • 141 Posts

Gates, and it's not even close. And, if I remember correctly, Jobs ran several companies into the ground before he joined Apple.

Also, Jobs just seems like a total dick. Gates appears to be a genuinely nice and benevolent man.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Pirate700

And I'll have to completely agree.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Hippo

Bill Gates. He did create the highest-selling operating system. And also, because Apple is evil.

CRS98
When i read that part about the guy who lost an iPhone prototype being tortured and then killing himself, i thought it was a joke. Then i google it and that ACTUALLY HAPPENED. :? That is just insane.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#30 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Both steal from each other so I don't think either is smarter than the other. I would go for both.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

[QUOTE="ShAbInAtOr"] No not really.No.No he didn't.No.Idon't think so.Nope.NANA.No. :lol:Ninja-Hippo

Apple have an incredibly annoying habit of trying to patent things and claim they invented certain technologies which they just didn't. Many aspects of basic OS design were widely used by all kinds of companies making all kinds of OS software. Microsoft finally make a successful one then all of a sudden Apple decide they invented it all and were just letting others use it out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm glad they were laughed out of the patent office when they tried to patent the touch screen. :roll:

Well I think they do have a patent on multitouch... which they didn't invent. :evil:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts

CRS98
Woah.....that was certainly eye opening.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

scoots9

Well I think they do have a patent on multitouch... which they didn't invent. :evil:

I dont know about that, the Microsoft Zune HD has multi touch, so unless they help each other out...
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Bill Gates by far. Steve Jobs has had some alright ideas and I'm sure he's a smart enough guy, but I think the genius behind Apple is Steve Wozniak. I'll give Wozniak credit any day.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Bill Gates by far. Steve Jobs has had some alright ideas and I'm sure he's a smart enough guy, but I think the genius behind Apple is Steve Wozniak. I'll give Wozniak credit any day.t3hrubikscube
I expected a rant from you on the greatest that is Gates.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Jobs can create some neat products, but Bill Gates is a brilliant businessman.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'll say Steve Jobs because you guys can cry and scream all you want about Apple, but the fact is he's a genious marketer and can sell his proucts EVEN IF THEY'RE GARBAGE.

But it doesn't really matter what I say here because you guys are incredibly biased towards apple so you'll probably start saying a bunch of things against Steve Jobs.

inb410millionpc>mac pics

ushotdead
actually no. As much as I don't like the way Apple does business they are mad geniuses to get everyone to go along with it. Also its fairly well known that Bill stole windows from Steve.
Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

[QUOTE="ushotdead"]

inb410millionpc>mac pics

Serraph105

actually no. As much as I don't like the way Apple does business they are mad geniuses to get everyone to go along with it. Also its fairly well known that Bill stole windows from Steve.

And steve stole it from xerox.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

[QUOTE="sboyer2"]

Ninja-Hippo

Your life was revolutionised by a phone? :? How does your life differ so dramatically now that you have a phone?

oh come on now. The Iphone is a multifunctional device in which you can do almost anything with so long as what you are doing uses technology.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

CRS98

Wow... I will now be removing all Apple software from my computer and will never,ever buy or use an Apple product... ever. That is absolutely, astoundingly, mind-****ingly in-sane. Stopping the device from working because the user didn't respond to a forced ad? That is downright diabolical. Even the devil himself wouldn't be able to think up something like that.

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts

Well the poll speaks for itself, unlucky Steve.

Also I like how Microsoft invested in Apple.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]Bill Gates by far. Steve Jobs has had some alright ideas and I'm sure he's a smart enough guy, but I think the genius behind Apple is Steve Wozniak. I'll give Wozniak credit any day.clayron
I expected a rant from you on the greatest that is Gates.

Hahaha! I actually did start typing one out, but I figured it'd be pointless. :P
mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Steve Jobs. He never "created" a product, he just made it even better. I think the iPad will be very important not just for consumer use, but for other fields as well.

Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts

I like Gates more than Jobs. However, I think without either not much would be different from now. I think the PC as we know it was almost an inevitability by the time Gates started selling windows and Jobs has not done much but prove how dumb the human population of earth is.

MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I dont really like Steve Jobs.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
I think they're both nothing without the armada of genuinely intelligent, creative people working for them. They both just have the honor of taking what those hard-working people create and unveiling it on a stage in front of all the media. Ninja-Hippo
This. Although I think Gates has done more than Jobs when it comes to actually working.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Gates all the way.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#48 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I think of Gates as more of the competitive businessman. He isn't someone who knows how to create big things himself, but he's good at taking the achievements of others and packaging them into a marketable product. He's good at pushing that product.

Steve Jobs I've always thought of as a more artistic type. I remember seeing him interviewed in the '90s about the design of the Apple II. He went into great detail about the use of space inside of the unit, and he spoke of the placement of components in clearly artistic terms. It was like a canvas for him. He merged the technical and creative in ways I hadn't really considered myself.

In other words, I don't believe they are directly comparable, at least not in the context of the question, i.e. "visionary/smarter".

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Jobs is repeatable able to convince millions of people to pay for his over priced shiny products.

That takes high levels of intelligence on his part.:P

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Definitely Bill Gates.