Artistic ability: learned or inherited?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

I am curious what the OT thinks about this subject.

Some people at a young age seem to pick up on things like perspective and perhaps have a more artistic eye than other children their age. Others seem to be able to catch up with enough practice.

Do you think artistic ability (whether it be music, drawing, sculpting, etc...) is an inherited (natural talent) or learned ability (practice)? Now, before answering this, I realize that you do have to learn to draw and it may not entirely come natural -- but do some have natural advantages over others with their artistic ability?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Artistic ability anyone can learn. Artistic vision is inherited.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

Pirate700
Yah, I agree. If you take enough classes, you could learn to draw pretty well, but the creativity can't be learned.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Both. I find it hard to believe that an artist can ever be considered great without both.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Learned definitely. However, the better artists teach themselves.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lethalhazard
Both. I find it hard to believe that an artist can ever be considered great without both.mindstorm
This is what I'm thinking. To be a supreme artist (top dog) you probably have to have a bit of natural ability and a ton of practice. But do you think someone without any "natural ability" could become a top-of-the-line artist with just pure practice?
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

Both. You can teach anyone how to paint or play an instrument, but some people have natural aptitudes that enable them to learn more quickly and reach high levels that most people can't attain with any amount of practice.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I think it's learned, but creativity is inherited. I'm not artistic enough to challenge a concept artist, but I'm definitely more artistic than most of my peers.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
It's just like any talent or inclination, some people it comes easier for and others might have other talents. It's what makes up an individual's characteristics, etc is what they're interests are and what they are good at. For people that might need help with it, they can learn things and practice, well, even if someone is "good," they still need to practice as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I think that some people are born with some natural artistic abilities (just like others are born with natural scientific abilities, for example), but others can also learn artistic skills with practice. I also agree with mindstorm in saying that even people born with natural artistic abilities need to learn artistic skills as well. You need both. You can't just rely on natural abilities. Someone who was born with absolutely no natural artistic abilities can learn and practice and be better than someone who was born with natural abilities but chose not to learn more.
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EolGul2

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]Both. I find it hard to believe that an artist can ever be considered great without both.Lethalhazard
This is what I'm thinking. To be a supreme artist (top dog) you probably have to have a bit of natural ability and a ton of practice. But do you think someone without any "natural ability" could become a top-of-the-line artist with just pure practice?

Since art is so subjective, I think so. Hell, this painting apparently sold for $140,000,000

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lethalhazard

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]Both. I find it hard to believe that an artist can ever be considered great without both.EolGul2

Since art is so subjective, I think so. Hell, this painting apparently sold for $140,000,000

http://mofoyo.com.nyud.net/files/images/501.preview.jpg

Are you serious... It looks like someone just grabbed a metal board and sloshed a ton of paint on it and called it an artistic masterpiece. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Both. Some have a born talent or start creating art with a body/mindset/personality that helps them with it.
But You can learn to do anything in some way. You have to find out how to make it possible, and then You have to practise.
For indication, if You practise doing something (for real) every day 2 hours for 10 years You will be in the top 10 of the world even with no talent at all.

Just want to make it clear that You never have to give up hope, even though You might want to.

Atheists_Pwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Atheists_Pwn
Member since 2010 • 1610 Posts

Pirate700
i pretty much agree with this
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EolGul2

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"] This is what I'm thinking. To be a supreme artist (top dog) you probably have to have a bit of natural ability and a ton of practice. But do you think someone without any "natural ability" could become a top-of-the-line artist with just pure practice?Lethalhazard

http://mofoyo.com.nyud.net/files/images/501.preview.jpg

Are you serious... It looks like someone just grabbed a metal board and sloshed a ton of paint on it and called it an artistic masterpiece. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Unfortunately, I'm dead serious. Google Jackson Pollock and check out the images for a good laugh at what passes as great art these days.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Some people have a special aptitude (Mozart), but it's learned to some degree. Any painter or musician I know about spent years studying to leave what they did for history.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lethalhazard

Both. Some have a born talent or start creating art with a body/mindset/personality that helps them with it.
But You can learn to do anything in some way. You have to find out how to make it possible, and then You have to practise.
For indication, if You practise doing something (for real) every day 2 hours for 10 years You will be in the top 10 of the world even with no talent at all.

Just want to make it clear that You never have to give up hope, even though You might want to.

KungfuKitten

This is how I used to feel. As I practiced I knew I could make sufficient progress to catch up to those that are ahead. Takes a bit of work and brains. The poll seems about even for people's feelings about the subject. Interesting...

Unfortunately, I'm dead serious. Google Jackson Pollock and check out the images for a good laugh at what passes as great art these days.

Eolgul

Yeah I just googled it. I'm ashamed.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

hockey73
Yah, I agree. If you take enough classes, you could learn to draw pretty well, but the creativity can't be learned.

Ya, I agree with this. I'm a pretty good artist. A lot of people can draw any type of object, but coming up with ideas is tough, and I'm pretty good at that.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Both.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
A combination of both.
Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts
Learnt. Some other people's upbringing may make them more creative, but there's almost nothing genetic about artistic ability.
tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

A little half and half.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

A bit of both. To the extent of which, I am not sure.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lethalhazard
This kinda reminds me of the continuous learning vs discontinuous learning debate. Can't really say one or the other because we don't know enough about it. Were artists like Van Gogh or Michelangelo born with something in their brains that gave them a stronger lead in the visual arts or did they just have a great deal of practice?
Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1488 Posts

I believe artistic ability is part learned, part inherited. Sketching is usually learned, but artistic vision and ability to draw is possibly inherited.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Well, my grandfather was a great painter. I'm limited to stick figures.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lethalhazard
Well, my grandfather was a great painter. I'm limited to stick figures.Marka1700
Did you ever get to ask your grandfather how much he practiced?
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="Marka1700"]Well, my grandfather was a great painter. I'm limited to stick figures.Lethalhazard

Unfortunately he died when I was about 4.
optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
It is inherited, just like everything else we are good at. You can learn, but you will never be as good as an inherited skill.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lethalhazard
[QUOTE="Lethalhazard"][QUOTE="Marka1700"]Well, my grandfather was a great painter. I'm limited to stick figures.Marka1700

Unfortunately he died when I was about 4.

I'm sorry to hear :(.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I am curious what the OT thinks about this subject.

Some people at a young age seem to pick up on things like perspective and perhaps have a more artistic eye than other children their age. Others seem to be able to catch up with enough practice.

Do you think artistic ability (whether it be music, drawing, sculpting, etc...) is an inherited (natural talent) or learned ability (practice)? Now, before answering this, I realize that you do have to learn to draw and it may not entirely come natural -- but do some have natural advantages over others with their artistic ability?

Lethalhazard

Of course some have a natural advantage over others, but they'll easily lose that advantage if they don't work at it.

It's like, very few people will ever be AMAZING at guitar. It's also probably also a small percentage of people who are so "naturally disadvantaged" that they will never be able to be any good at guitar. Meanwhile, the majority of people can play guitar if they want to, provided that they have the means and will to work at it.

Most people have the ability to become "good", provided that they work at it, even if they'll never be "great".

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

I think it's learned, but creativity is inherited. I'm not artistic enough to challenge a concept artist, but I'm definitely more artistic than most of my peers.CRS98

You can "learn" creativity as well. Just like skill with a brush, learning creativity takes a lot of effort and practice.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I think it is a bit of both.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

Really, I think inheriting it does help, but I believe that if someone is determined/interested enough in the arts, even coming from the least artistic family on the planet, could become a great, well known artist.

considering music is put in the arts category, I come from a family with no musical ability at all, but in the last 2 years of playing I have become one of the best drummers out of anyone I know. Mainly because since I started, I have had almost an obsession about playing. I have "studied" almost every genre I felt necessary and can now play anything from jazz to alternative rock.

so again, I really don't think it comes down to if the artist has inherited the skill, but how much interest and ambition the artist shows

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

I took alot of Art and Drawing classes in school, and to this day I have essentially zero artistic/drawing ability. I cannot draw, paint, write or play music. So I believe that you need at least a little bit of inherited ability. Practice and learning just build up whats allready there.

I would say that I'm a better than average writer, though. Ironically, writing isn't something I enjoy doing all that much, and English and Literature classes were the two subjects I hated the most in school. But I always recieved good marks on history papers and science lab write-ups.

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lethalhazard

I took alot of Art and Drawing classes in school, and to this day I have essentially zero artistic/drawing ability. I cannot draw, paint, write or play music. So I believe that you need at least a little bit of inherited ability. Practice and learning just build up whats allready there.

I would say that I'm a better than average writer, though. Ironically, writing isn't something I enjoy doing all that much, and English and Literature classes were the two subjects I hated the most in school. But I always recieved good marks on history papers and science lab write-ups.

ProudLarry
Well, sometimes art classes don't really help. I just got a couple of good books and a friend to 'tutor' me and I progressed very quick. Of course, mixing in a great deal of practice along the way :P.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="ProudLarry"]

Lethalhazard
Well, sometimes art classes don't really help. I just got a couple of good books and a friend to 'tutor' me and I progressed very quick. Of course, mixing in a great deal of practice along the way :P.

I certainly practiced in my free time, and bought probably a half dozen books on drawing. But art classes in Junior and High school were really my only option when it came to others teaching me. I didn't really have any friends that were into drawing either. I guess my point is that I literally draw as well now as I did when I was about 11 or 12.
darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I think that artistic ability is first inherited, then developed over time if the person chooses to hone their talent.

I do not agree that creativity can be learned - I myself am on the analytical side of the spectrum. If I could I would write fiction - but when I try nothing comes to mind. The most I can manage is one or two pages every few hours (or days) when I'm full of inspiration and have an idea. A natural born writer on the other hand could write tens, even hundreds of pages in the same amount of time.

You have to be born with these talents - but again once you have them they need to be developed.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

Inherited all the way baby 8)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#41 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Pirate700
Pretty much. But some are just born to draw.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer

I think that artistic ability is first inherited, then developed over time if the person chooses to hone their talent.

I do not agree that creativity can be learned - I myself am on the analytical side of the spectrum. If I could I would write fiction - but when I try nothing comes to mind. The most I can manage is one or twopage every few hours (or days) when I'm full of inspiration and have an idea. A natural born writer on the other hand could write tens, even hundreds of pages in the same amount of time.

You have to be born with these talents - but again once you have them they need to be developed.

darktruth007

Naw, you can learn creativity. It's just a matter of training your mind in the same way that other people might train their hands. I'm sure you can look online and find all sorts of exercises designed to help you to get more creative.

Now, that's not to say that the analytical-minded person will ever be AS CREATIVE as the personal born with a tendency towards creativity. But you can certainly become MORE CREATIVE than you are now, if you work at it enough.

Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

JustPlainLucas

Pretty much. But some are just born to draw.

I have the vision, but I can't translate it very well on paper. My ambidextrousness is a double-edged sword. In this case, I am equally bad at drawing with both hands. :P

Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

Pirate700

I'm a good drawer but artist worthy *laughs*

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

Both. You can't expect to be an amazing artist the first time you paint, even if you have the most natural talent in the world, and some people can never seem to be a good artist no matter how hard they work at it.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#46 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Depends on how good you are at putting what you see onto paper or a canvas. I'm a gifted writer and lyricist but I can't draw or paint for the life of me, though I do pretty well at sumi-e and kanji calligraphy. Sometimes you need instruction though or a motivation or instructor to help you find your spark.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
both actually.
Avatar image for VigilanteArtist
VigilanteArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VigilanteArtist
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts

I chose "other," because I think it's a bit of both. In my case, I was fortunate enough to show talent at an early age (so that would be an example of natural ability), but now that I'm studying fine art/digital art in a serious way, my skills have increased greatly. So, I honestly think it's really both, and this goes for most things, like skills in math, sports, etc.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Did you see the guy in France i think who can take a helicopter ride and then recreate the city :o
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

I didn´t vote, I always think everything is learned but smetimes some people like savants prove me wrong so I´m not sompletly sure