annoying phrases in English that serve no purpose

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gnomefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Gnomefan
Member since 2009 • 1048 Posts

i hate the phrase "it's as easy as shoving butter up your ass"

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I'm going to replace your comment with my comment.

[QUOTE="iowastate"]

what ever

i agree with this one. saying whatever is basically saying you lost the arguement.

stanleycup98

It just means "anyway, it's not important, what's important is..." or just "it doesn't matter". In some situations I see how it could be irritating.

DMAngara90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DMAngara90
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

there are quite a few of them that are over used

and are pointless phrases that have no meaning and grate on the ear while transmitting no information.

if a word or phrase only induces a cringe and adds nothing to the convo why use it at all?

it is what it is

it means nothing why bother saying it?

It's all good

It's all so obvious by adding "all" you don't mean a thing by saying this

To be honest

when this phrase is used something is either left unsaid or everything else you say is dishonest

No offense

I really dislike hearing this

was there ever a more insincere or superfluouse phrase?

what ever

this is the most annoying phrase in the language. Don't you just want to smack anyone who uses it.

other than a little girl - they can get away with the "w" word.

don't get me wrong

is it not implicit in communication that you make your self understood?

with all due respect

if you meant to be respectful you would not have to emphasize

everything happens for a reason

duh! talk about pointing out the obvious.

at the end of the day

we will be going to bed

going forward

announcing your next footstep

to be continued , sold out and can i put you on hold

while annoing are not in the same category because those phrases serve some purpose and do impart information.

my gripe is with phrases that are meaningless.

I'm interested to know if others in OT are also bothered by useless phrases and which of them bother you the most?

iowastate

'It's all good' is used differently than 'It's good'. Why cause unnecessary confusion on the person? When someone says "It's good" they talking about the quality of a thing. "It's all good." is usually meant a something similar to "You're welcome", or "No problem."

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bloodling

'It's all good' is used differently than 'It's good'. Why cause unnecessary confusion on the person? When someone says "It's good" they talking about the quality of a thing. "It's all good." is usually meant a something similar to "You're welcome", or "No problem."

DMAngara90

I don't find it confusing at all. Also, I hate the "lets accept different spellings because students make too many mistakes" attitude.

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
I'm pretty cool with all of those. Dangling modifiers and sentences ending in prepositions though... Thinking about them, they make me rage harder than anything else at.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'm pretty cool with all of those. Dangling modifiers and sentences ending in prepositions though... Thinking about them, they make me rage harder than anything else at.D_Battery
Having read your post, it is very strange.
DMAngara90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 DMAngara90
Member since 2010 • 274 Posts

[QUOTE="DMAngara90"]

bloodling

I don't find it confusing at all. Also, I hate the "lets accept different spellings because students make too many mistakes" attitude.

Eh, I worded that word. It's all good is meant to differentiate from the description of a things quality. It's a response to "thank you."
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 bloodling

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

[QUOTE="DMAngara90"]

DMAngara90

Eh, I worded that word. It's all good is meant to differentiate from the description of a things quality. It's a response to "thank you."

I agree with you (wasn't sure what you meant at first). It can also be a response to "I'm sorry".

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

"At this moment in time / At this point in time."

That senetence needs only three of those words to say the same thing; "At this time."

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

I use 'it is what it is' a bit really as a means to rephrase 'that's life'. I actually think it does serve a purpose...

KidCudi37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 KidCudi37
Member since 2010 • 3535 Posts
[QUOTE="Dystopian-X"]

To be honest, complaining about this serves no purpouse, don't get me wrong but it is what it is.

GazaAli
I see what you did there.

As did I.:shock:
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#62 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

"At this moment in time / At this point in time."

That senetence needs only three of those words to say the same thing; "At this time."

br0kenrabbit
that is another that bugs me and thanks for reminding. I had a friend who used to change it to "at this juncture" which was alright a time or two but he used that phrase all the time.

I use 'it is what it is' a bit really as a means to rephrase 'that's life'. I actually think it does serve a purpose...

poptart

poptart
"it is what it is" does serve a purpose. It makes me cringe when I hear it used. If you speak English as your primary language why not bother to sound like you know how to speak the language? It does not take that much effort to speak as though you have at least a passing knowledge of English. Too many people who were born in an English speaking nation speak like they should be taking an "English as a second language course" and do not realize how strange they sound.
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#63 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts
To be honest, this list is what it is; all good. But still, don't get me wrong, everyone uses these for a reason, at the end of the day people will get kind of sad if they haven't used an annoying phrase and people cant move forward if they don't feel good enough, but as I said before, no offense, this list is all good. Oh well, what ever, carry on.
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"] that is another that bugs me and thanks for reminding. I had a friend who used to change it to "at this juncture" which was alright a time or two but he used that phrase all the time.[QUOTE="poptart"]

iowastate

poptart

"it is what it is" does serve a purpose. It makes me cringe when I hear it used. If you speak English as your primary language why not bother to sound like you know how to speak the language? It does not take that much effort to speak as though you have at least a passing knowledge of English. Too many people who were born in an English speaking nation speak like they should be taking an "English as a second language course" and do not realize how strange they sound.

Looking at recent times of economic hardship and speaking with people worried about their jobs and income, 'it is what it is' was a fairly apt phrase used to denote that you're looking at things philosophically – no point worrying about something you can't control and to encourage others to do the same… I would say that's perfectly acceptable English and certainly not worth cringing at...

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
None of those phrases are meaningless. Rather, they have connotations of their own that are separate from their literal meaning (for example, "it's all good" really means "I'm not offended/upset/angry/agitated at what just happened"). If you aren't aware of this then I assume that English isn't your native language.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
to be honest, it is what it is. No offense, dont get me wrong, but at the end of the day, everything happens for a reason, so its all good. Going forward, with all due respect, its all good so what ever.
Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

don't get me wrong

iowastate

Don't get me wrong Is a awesome song 8)

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts
"don't trip" or "don't worry about it". I understand if somebody is being nosy, but usually the person who says this is a total douchebag who thinks highly of himself. Wanna beat the **** of those cocky people who act like everybody wants to know what that person's doing, but he/she won't tell them like it's a huge secret or something GTFO But other than that IT'S ALL GOOD =)
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Well, no offense but in all honesty the English language is what is it is. It's all good though, at the end of the day many of us have just learned to live with it. Don't get me wrong, somtime these phrases can annoy me too. But what ever, there is nothing I can do about it. You have to realize everything (including dumb phrases) happen for a reason, and you just have to keep going forward through life.

*hopes I was the first jerk to do something like this :P*

Avatar image for CocoMarshmellow
CocoMarshmellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CocoMarshmellow
Member since 2010 • 648 Posts

Well, no offense but in all honesty the English language is what is it is. It's all good though, at the end of the day many of us have just learned to live with it. Don't get me wrong, somtime these phrases can annoy me too. But what ever, there is nothing I can do about it. You have to realize everything (including dumb phrases) happen for a reason, and you just have to keep going forward through life.

*hopes I was the first jerk to do something like this :P*

Bluestorm-Kalas
Not even close. :lol:
Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
*Insert said phrase to annoy TC here* :P
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

In the poetic words of John Rambo, "You can't change what is....go home."

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#73 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

To be honest, those are all good phrases. So... whatever.

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts
I say all of those and they make perfect sense when used correctly. If a phrase conveys meaning than it makes sense. You complaining about it is pointless...just seems like an elitist attempt to separate yourself from people you for some reason think your better than.
disharmonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 disharmonized
Member since 2010 • 1051 Posts

I agree with some of those, i use no offense sometimes, the most recent way i used it was: "no offense but you are pretty particular about video games." I dont think its that bad?

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

and are pointless phrases that have no meaning and grate on the ear while transmitting no information.

if a word or phrase only induces a cringe and adds nothing to the convo why use it at all?

it is what it is

It's all good

To be honest

when this phrase is used something is either left unsaid or everything else you say is dishonest

No offense

what ever

this is the most annoying phrase in the language. Don't you just want to smack anyone who uses it.

don't get me wrong

with all due respect

at the end of the day

we will be going to bed

going forward

while annoing are not in the same category because those phrases serve some purpose and do impart information.

I'm interested to know if others in OT are also bothered by useless phrases and which of them bother you the most?

iowastate

uhh No offence, but with all do respect to be honest I disagree. Don't get me wrong its just i dont see how any of these "annoying phrases in English that serve no purpose." but do you know what? at the end of the day its all good. :)

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

You left out "Can I ask you a question."dreDREb13

I think that's the first one I agree with. No point in asking to ask a question when you're going to take the right anyways.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Everything you've mentioned serves a purpose in the English language. You just don't know how or when to use them.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#80 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I overuse so many of the examples you gave TC. Especially "to be honest".

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#81 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

[QUOTE="iowastate"]

it is what it is

It's all good

To be honest

No offense

what ever

don't get me wrong

with all due respect

at the end of the day

we will be going to bed

going forward

T_REX305

uhh No offence, but with all do respect to be honest I disagree. Don't get me wrong its just i dont see how any of these "annoying phrases in English that serve no purpose." but do you know what? at the end of the day its all good. :)

Niiiiicce. LOL

blazblue152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 blazblue152
Member since 2010 • 880 Posts

to be honest (and yes it's genuine) i do use some of these sentences and am not bothered by them

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
speak English
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

I disagree, but I HATE "whatever". th3warr1or

I say whatever to piss people off... that's it.

My choice is anyways.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts
I actually find most of those phrases to convey practical meanings, which you seem to not understand.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 iowastate
I actually find most of those phrases to convey practical meanings, which you seem to not understand.coolbeans90
what ever. going forward to the end of the day, it is all the same in the first place.:wink:
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]I actually find most of those phrases to convey practical meanings, which you seem to not understand.iowastate
what ever. going forward to the end of the day, it is all the same in the first place.:wink:

Mix n' match doesn't work as well. But at the end of the day, I go to sleep. Goodnight.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 iowastate

[QUOTE="iowastate"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]I actually find most of those phrases to convey practical meanings, which you seem to not understand.coolbeans90

Mix n' match doesn't work as well. But at the end of the day, I go to sleep. Goodnight.

ya but it is still a heap of fun and I will sign off by saying: Cool beans:wink:
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

"it is what it is" does serve a purpose. It makes me cringe when I hear it used. If you speak English as your primary language why not bother to sound like you know how to speak the language? It does not take that much effort to speak as though you have at least a passing knowledge of English. Too many people who were born in an English speaking nation speak like they should be taking an "English as a second language course" and do not realize how strange they sound.iowastate
Oh come on now, iowastate...

Just because you find them annoying doesnt mean that those who use them dont use the language properly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

I use alot of those. I'd imagine talking to people would be pretty boring if everyone talked with flawless enunciation and English like some kind of genius robot.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts

People are going to use words however they want, it is what is is. But you just got to go with the flow, at the end of the day it's all good. To be honest, I feel this is kind of a pointless topic in and of it's self. Of course I mean no offense to you. Don't get me wrong(, I like you but this thread just doesn't deliver the goods. I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason so maybe you'll meet a nice girl because of your hate for these phrases. Going forward, you just need to relax because they're just words. No reason to get worked up over them, you just have to think "whatever" and move on.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

It is what it is? :lol:

That's so pointless, lol.

The others, I don't mind, though.

cheesyjon
Meh, its the uncultured man's c'est la vie...
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="cheesyjon"]

It is what it is? :lol:

That's so pointless, lol.

The others, I don't mind, though.

SEANMCAD

Meh, its the uncultured man's c'est la vie...

well usually the 'it is what it is' comes from someone else asking a random conversation starter question 'how is it' in which everyone in the conversation knows nobody really cares how it is or even what the 'it' is.

So its better than '*** off'

Well, in my experience whenever people say "It is what it is" they're using it in the same context of "such is life" or "thats just how things are"
Crotazoa8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Crotazoa8
Member since 2010 • 1230 Posts
I disagree with everything you said accept no offence and whatever.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
"I love you." /emo moment
smchacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#99 smchacko
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

iowastate

not always...

thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts
With all due respect, everything happens for a reason. To be honest, these phrases are not that annoying; they're an essential part of the English language. No offense, but at the end of the day, it is what it is. Don't get me wrong, they can be overused sometimes, but whatever, it's all good. Everything happens for a reason, so going forward we need to accept these phrases. To be continued....