14 states may try to target birthright citizenship

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Hi states, I'd like you to meet the 14th amendment, I don't believe you've met.

GabuEx

Amendments are changes and in fact if we didn't have amendments this wouldn't be an issue since it wasn't adopted until 1868. Which had to do with people being given citizenship that had not entered the country illegally. There is a bit of a difference just in that alone....

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Good for them, why should we be held accountable for this loophole that many illegal immigrants use to help stay in this country.

GabuEx

It's in the Constitution, and I don't know about you, but I'd be a little uncomfortable with establishing an exception to the amendment process for the Constitution on the grounds of "it really really needs to change guys, for serious".

If it's a "for serious" cause, then why shouldn't it be changed? The Constitution isn't flawless.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Good for them, why should we be held accountable for this loophole that many illegal immigrants use to help stay in this country.

ZumaJones07

It's in the Constitution, and I don't know about you, but I'd be a little uncomfortable with establishing an exception to the amendment process for the Constitution on the grounds of "it really really needs to change guys, for serious".

If it's a "for serious" cause, then why shouldn't it be changed? The Constitution isn't flawless.

The 14th Amendment itself was an addition. It's not in the original Constitution.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There are laws limiting immigration for a reason. If we didn't have them, we would be overrun and end up just like other countries. Still, I think it good that there are Congressmen putting up a bill to restrict who can and cannot be classified as a citizen. No other country would give us rights if we illegally crossed their borders so why should we give criminals, and yes, that is what people who cross a border are, any rights under our laws or Constitution. No illegal alien should be allowed to have kids who automatically become a US citizen just because they are born north of the Mexican border and south of the Canadian border.

Just last year, a woman attending Kennesaw State University was busted for not having a drivers license, and it was found out she was an illegal immigrant whose parents brought her across the border when she was a kid, attending the school and only paying in-state tuition rules where changed so she had to pay out of state tuition. The Board of Regents even went as far as adopting the rule that no illegal immigrants can attend any state school. With her conviction for not having a license she will be deported, but only after she finishes school. She should be deported immediately upon release from jail if ya ask me.

Illegal immigrants should not be able to access anything paid for by the US taxpayer and should not be able to take advantage of any law designed for someone else.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#105 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

ZumaJones07

I didn't say it shouldn't be changed. The Constitution establishes a very clear procedure through which it can be changed. Which these states seem intent on completely ignoring and just passing state legislation saying "lol, nope".

ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
I really hate my state sometimes.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts

I didn't say it shouldn't be changed. The Constitution establishes a very clear procedure through which it can be changed. Which these states seem intent on completely ignoring and just passing state legislation saying "lol, nope".

GabuEx
Ah okay, Gotcha!
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]What are you talking about?

Pirate700

He means most people are (legal) immigrants or descendants of immigrants.

Most people in the US are 1st generation? I don't buy it.

okay, so should grandchildren of illegal immigrants be considered citizens?

where do you draw the line?

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I'm indifferent on the matter, on one hand the illegals are just simply overdoing but on the other hand it's not the kid's fault.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Hi states, I'd like you to meet the 14th amendment, I don't believe you've met.

LJS9502_basic

Amendments are changes and in fact if we didn't have amendments this wouldn't be an issue since it wasn't adopted until 1868. Which had to do with people being given citizenship that had not entered the country illegally. There is a bit of a difference just in that alone....

Yes but having a Constitution without an amendment process would be horrible. And although amendments are changes to the Constitution, they become a part of the Constitution, so I don't see your point in the first sentence of your post.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

GabuEx

Prohabtion that is all I have to say for that comment...

And why don't you, your party feels that way all the time...

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

fueled-system

Prohibition was duly amended into the Constitution, and then duly amended out of the Constitution, so I'm not really sure I understand what you mean.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I guess they're scared of all the terrorist anchor babies that are bound to pop up!!!
PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

The kids should be with their parents.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#116 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

fueled-system

And why don't you, your party feels that way all the time...

You know what they say about assumptions, right?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Without addressing the rest of the immigration problem, this solves practically nothing.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#118 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Brilliant, strip the illegals of what rights they don't have so that the corporations can exploit them even more. Then again, they also took a risk coming to America knowing that they won't have rights and there is a very good chance that they'll be deported. However, having more children who has potential is never a bad thing for America.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#119 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
They can try all they want. You think the SCOTUS is going to interpret the 14th Amendment so idiotically? :lol:
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#120 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Without addressing the rest of the immigration problem, this solves practically nothing.

coolbeans90

Agreed. It seems that alot of people just want little so-called solutions for the sake of a solution instead of thinking up smart policy or actually solving the core problem.

So, basically, it's kind oflike saying"well, we gotta do something, so lets try targeting birthright citizenship!"

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#121 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Isn't that something that needs to be done at the national level?

Why would the individual states be able to control who can or can't be a citizen?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 GabuEx

Why would the individual states be able to control who can or can't be a citizen?

BuryMe

It is, and they aren't.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

GreySeal9

Agreed. It seems that alot of people just want little so-called solutions for the sake of a solution instead of thinking up smart policy or actually solving the core problem.

So, basically, it's kind oflike saying"well, we gotta do something, so lets try targeting birthright citizenship!"

Well, it could hypothetically make an impact with mass deportation, but considering the facts, this really doesn't do much. (for the record, I don't support mass deportation, I am a fan of immigration and despise that current policies slow American growth this way)

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
They should train the babies to become soldiers, and than let them invade Mexico when they grow up.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I was under the impression that the United States was a society based on individuality and merit, not on privilege given by birthrights. That sounds something a lot more aristocratic, you know, the kind of thing Americans opposed during the Revolutionary War.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 GabuEx

I was under the impression that the United States was a society based on individuality and merit, not on privilege given by birthrights. That sounds something a lot more aristocratic, you know, the kind of thing Americans opposed during the Revolutionary War.

_BlueDuck_

It's kind of hard to award a baby citizenship based on merit.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

BuryMe

The story isn't saying they're trying to prevent birthright citizenship in their individual states, they're trying to introduce legislation in Congress to get the Constitution amended so illegal immigrants couldn't have a child here who would automatically be a citizen anymore. If the individual state tried to do that alone the Federal Government would strike it down as unconstitutional. In a way it really doesn't matter that much since if the parent's goal is to get legal through their child their child can't even apply for a visa for their parents until they turn 21. In that amount of time the parent could have found a legal way to get a visa already.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 _BlueDuck_

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

GabuEx

It's kind of hard to award a baby citizenship based on merit.

It's hard to award any baby with merit. So there's no difference between a baby of an illegal or that of an already-citizen. They are both born here and that's really all you can base citizenship off of.

TSNAKE617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 TSNAKE617
Member since 2008 • 5494 Posts

I agree with this in a way, I dont think that a child should be able to be used as a tether to allow people to become citizens of a country free. However kicking babies out of the USA is a terrible idea.

dragonfly110

I think we should make the parents give it to someone in the U.S. that they trust or take it with them to their country of origin. The Constitution doesn't say we can't kick the parents out.

hammerofcrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 hammerofcrom
Member since 2009 • 1323 Posts

So much for being the country of freedom :)

brendanhunt1

freedom went out the door 50 years ago or so

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

The evil FED GOV will strike this down as "unconstitutional," yet the FED GOV doesn't give a rats poop about the Constitution. I mean, the fact they have allowed 30-50 million illegal immigrants in the first place shows they only pick and choose what they want out of the Constitution.

The states need to give D.C. a middle finger and if D.C. gives one back, time to secede.

I wish Civil War II would start already!

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

The evil FED GOV will strike this down as "unconstitutional," yet the FED GOV doesn't give a rats poop about the Constitution. I mean, the fact they have allowed 30-50 million illegal immigrants in the first place shows they only pick and choose what they want out of the Constitution.

The states need to give D.C. a middle finger and if D.C. gives one back, time to secede.

AHUGECAT

On a related note, what's going to happen first... Civil War II or Mexican American War II?

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 xXCombatWombat
Member since 2009 • 1529 Posts

This is great news. At least the states are making an effort to do SOMETHING about the immigration issue. Something Bush/Obama haven't. I don't see how this could be anything but positive, I'm not anti immigration I'm anti ILLEGAL immigration. If you illegally enter the country, mooch off of the system in place by having a kid, then you don't deserve to be a US citizen. That isnt fair to the legal immigrants who followed the rules.

It just blows my mind people who think we should just let anyone who feels like coming in to just come in, yea, that would work well....:roll:

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 _BlueDuck_

This is great news. At least the states are making an effort to do SOMETHING about the immigration issue. Something Bush/Obama haven't. I don't see how this could be anything but positive, I'm not anti immigration I'm anti ILLEGAL immigration. If you illegally enter the country, mooch off of the system in place by having a kid, then you don't deserve to be a US citizen. That isnt fair to the legal immigrants who followed the rules.

It just blows my mind people who think we should just let anyone who feels like coming in to just come in, yea, that would work well....:roll:

xXCombatWombat

But this is targetting legal citizens.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

AHUGECAT

Yes because that worked out so well for those who seceded the first time.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

_BlueDuck_

Anchor Babies =/= Legal Citizens

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 GabuEx

xXCombatWombat

You don't see how states attempting to overrule the Constitution could be anything but positive?

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

GabuEx

You don't see how states attempting to overrule the Constitution could be anything but positive?

I think it should be amended! This rule wasn't put in place for sleazy illegals to break in and pop babies out in american hospitals to reap the benefits. It was for african americans who had recently been freed from slavery.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

xXCombatWombat

I think it should be amended! This rule wasn't put in place for sleazy illegals to break in and pop babies out in american hospitals to reap the benefits. It was for african americans who had recently been freed from slavery.

If you think it should be amended, then why are you not saying, "This isn't good; we should amend the Constitution instead of having states unilaterally attempt to overrule it"?

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 _BlueDuck_

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

xXCombatWombat

Everyone born in the United States = citizen.

Says it right there in the Constitution.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

If you think it should be amended, then why are you not saying, "This isn't good; we should amend the Constitution instead of having states unilaterally attempt to overrule it"?

Well ideally I would like it to be, but seeing as our federal government turns a blind eye to federal laws, I've lost all hope in that. If they enforced illegal immigration laws in the first place we wouldn't have this problem, eh?

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

_BlueDuck_

Just because it says it in the constitution doesn't make it right, the context it is used in today is completely different than the one the writers intended. it should be changed because it is being abused to give illegals free citizenship.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

xXCombatWombat

Well ideally I would like it to be, but seeing as our federal government turns a blind eye to federal laws, I've lost all hope in that. If they enforced illegal immigration laws in the first place we wouldn't have this problem, eh?

So... basically, your position is that states should be allowed to ignore the Constitution as long as they're pretty sure what they're doing is a good idea?

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

So... basically, your position is that states should be allowed to ignore the Constitution as long as they're pretty sure what they're doing is a good idea?

Considering the fact that the president (Bush and Obama) should have been impeached for failure to protect the citizens of the United States, yes I think it's getting to the point where the government just doesn't care, and something drastic needs to be done.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]We need to follow the constitution! Aside from those parts we don't like...

sounds like the healthcare bill
xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]We need to follow the constitution! Aside from those parts we don't like...surrealnumber5
sounds like the healthcare bill

Haha so true :P

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 _BlueDuck_

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

xXCombatWombat

Just because it says it in the constitution doesn't make it right, the context it is used in today is completely different than the one the writers intended. it should be changed because it is being abused to give illegals free citizenship.

You said anchor babies are not legal citizens. Whether or not you think it's right or not, that is incorrect; they are legal citizens.

The point I like to make again, is that why do children born of a legal citizen deserve citizenship any more than that of an illegal immigrant? The only difference is what their parents have done, and that is no fault of the child. If your father or mother break the law and are charged, you have no obligation to take on their criminal charge, nor can that charge be transfered to you, so I don't see how this case is any different.

I'm not going to say that immigration isn't a problem, and the system isn't abused. But that doesn't mean that we can start denying citizenship to people who have done no wrong themselves.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

_BlueDuck_

You said anchor babies are not legal citizens. Whether or not you think it's right or not, that is incorrect; they are legal citizens.

The point I like to make again, is that why do children born of a legal citizen deserve citizenship any more than that of an illegal immigrant? The only difference is what their parents have done, and that is no fault of the child. If your father or mother break the law and are charged, you have no obligation to take on their criminal charge, nor can that charge be transfered to you, so I don't see how this case is any different.

I'm not going to say that immigration isn't a problem, and the system isn't abused. But that doesn't mean that we can start denying citizenship to people who have done no wrong themselves.

Why can't we? Send them back to their home country, its not like were going to abort the baby or something. If the Mexican government helped the US with the immigration problem instead of pushing the poor on American and burdening us, that would help solve the problem.

If you really can't see the difference between LEGAL American citizens, who followed the rules, didn't break any laws, and have a baby who is a citizen; and Illegal Immigrants, who break in, have a baby and then get citizenship then I don't know what to say....

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

xXCombatWombat

Considering the fact that the president (Bush and Obama) should have been impeached for failure to protect the citizens of the United States, yes I think it's getting to the point where the government just doesn't care, and something drastic needs to be done.

Incidentally, there is more border patrol now than at any time in recent history, and crime along the southern border is down.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 xXCombatWombat

[QUOTE="xXCombatWombat"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Incidentally, there is more border patrol now than at any time in recent history, and crime across the southern border is down.

Yea, and Obama reluctantly sent National Guard troops to the border after public outcry for it. Bush at least sent a decent amount (around 4,000 i think) Obama sent 1,200, shows how interested the federal government is in following the laws.