Off The Books Hip Hop Draft (forget is OTC)

Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Apocalypse33
Member since 2006 • 19413 Posts
I choose Rhymefest
HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 HaSheeSh_basic
Member since 2002 • 12509 Posts
[QUOTE="mowz00"][QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"][QUOTE="mowz00"]

[QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"]we shouldnt have the option of selecting dead rappersColt45fool

thats what i was thinkin..u can only gauge them by their legacy

We're supposed to drafting artists based on what they've already accomplished, aka their legacies, according to Colt. We're not supposed to be drafting as if we are starting a label tomorrow and trying to draft the best team of the future. He already clarified all of this in the initial thread.

With that being said, drafting dead rappers/producers is perfectly fine.

hash and i both understand this...we just don't agree with it

Why's that? Would you rather draft based on future potential?

Because that could be an option, but how many rappers would we really be able to choose from? Sure, there are a ton of rappers out right now, but half of the draft would be full of unknown artists + how many of us really pay attention to rap that much that we can name 90 rappers with the potential to make a c|assic tommorow?

The reason why the previous draft was never finished was because people ran out of emcees to choose from. We choose the same style (dream team style) except with no vocalists, or producers. By the 3rd or 4th round the posters of OTB circa 2005 couldn't think of rappers they wanted to draft. Not that I'm knocking the community of OTB now, but idk if I'd say it's as educated on rap as well as the posters of 2005....especially since so many of you complain about the quality of threads, and discussion here nowadays.

I thought this was mostly about which label has the better chance of crafting a classic at this present time. I mean, Eminem and LL  woulda had a better chance if this draft was 5 years ago or more, but now...the likelyhood of that happening is greatly diminished. So the present status of the artists is a fundamental factor in the consistency of a label, so whats the present status of artists that are dead....or who've been dead for more than 10 years??

As for running out of emcees, thats understandable...but that shouldn't be much of a problem now. By cutting out 2 rappers for each of the 19 labels, you get about an additional 25-30 free emcess from the older version of this draft...as opposed to 5 additional free dead emcees that have any of their potential recent work exempted because their lives were cut short.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
[QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"]

We're supposed to drafting artists based on what they've already accomplished, aka their legacies, according to Colt. We're not supposed to be drafting as if we are starting a label tomorrow and trying to draft the best team of the future. He already clarified all of this in the initial thread. It's like drafting a dream team of Wilt Chamberlain, MJ, Magic Johnson, Bird, and Duncan... rather than a team of the future like Dwight, Durant, Paul, Wade, and Bron.

With that being said, drafting dead rappers/producers is perfectly fine.

elpooz

You fail for not putting Kobe or Lebron on that team of the future...

You fail for not realizing that Bron = Lebron

And Kobe's a 13 year veteran...

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Orlando_Magic

I thought this was mostly about which label has the better chance of crafting a classic at this present time. I mean, Eminem and LL  woulda had a better chance if this draft was 5 years ago or more, but now...the likelyhood of that happening is greatly diminished. So the present status of the artists is a fundamental factor in the consistency of a label, so whats the present status of artists that are dead....or who've been dead for more than 10 years??

HaSheeSh_basic

We're doing the draft as if these artists are in their prime. So if you draft Rakim you're not getting Rakim in 2009, you're getting Rakim at his peak in the late 80's.

Same goes with drafting a dead artist. If you draft Dilla you're drafting him in his prime.

Colt discussed all this in the first thread. Otherwise I would've obviously picked different people. He made a big point about saying Rakim is worth more than someone like Drake even though Drake probably has a better chance at making a cIassic in this day and age. We're drafting on accomplishments and not potential.

HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 HaSheeSh_basic
[QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"]

Orlando_Magic

We're doing the draft as if these artists are in their prime. So if you draft Rakim you're not getting Rakim in 2009, you're getting Rakim at his peak in the late 80's.

Same goes with drafting a dead artist. If you draft Dilla you're drafting him in his prime.

Colt discussed all this in the first thread. Otherwise I would've obviously picked different people. He made a big point about saying Rakim is worth more than someone like Drake even though Drake probably has a better chance at making a cIassic in this day and age. We're drafting on accomplishments and not potential.

Damn, then I completely misunderstood. That definitly would've effected my first coupla choices then. Whatever, I think I'm still on a good track...and will continue to make my picks as to how i originally envisioned it.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
pharoahe monch
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Apocalypse33
[QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"][QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"]

HaSheeSh_basic

Damn, then I completely misunderstood. That definitly would've effected my first coupla choices then. Whatever, I think I'm still on a good track...and will continue to make my picks as to how i originally envisioned it.

lol same for me
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#159 Colt45fool
Member since 2003 • 79297 Posts

This is a high reward, high reward pick...

I choose Kool G Rap

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"][QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"][QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"]

I thought this was mostly about which label has the better chance of crafting a classic at this present time. I mean, Eminem and LL woulda had a better chance if this draft was 5 years ago or more, but now...the likelyhood of that happening is greatly diminished. So the present status of the artists is a fundamental factor in the consistency of a label, so whats the present status of artists that are dead....or who've been dead for more than 10 years??

Apocalypse33

lol same for me

I don't think we should discredit potential, I just think it shouldn't be taken into account as much as legacy. Besides, comparing Nas in the mid-90's to Asher Roth in his prime (whenever that may be) = lol.

At the same time though, potential should be considered in most picks, considering someone like Drake could come out and drop like 3 or 4 c|assic discs, and own Nas. It's just a matter of, are there emcees out right now that are that good. I mean, Lil' Wayne didn't start making great music until years later, so I suppose we'll see.

tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
[QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"][QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"][QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"]

I thought this was mostly about which label has the better chance of crafting a classic at this present time. I mean, Eminem and LL woulda had a better chance if this draft was 5 years ago or more, but now...the likelyhood of that happening is greatly diminished. So the present status of the artists is a fundamental factor in the consistency of a label, so whats the present status of artists that are dead....or who've been dead for more than 10 years??

Apocalypse33

lol same for me

Me too, Thats why I got Phonte & Black Milk instead of Biggie and Kool G Rap

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#162 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts

pharoahe monchmems_1224

he was 4th on my list, i still have my next 3.

ps. I got my next pick because clot didn't pick him, rape!!

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Orlando_Magic

I take Tupac with my next pick :) Tupac + Biggie = own

-Twilight-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 -Twilight-
Member since 2005 • 8931 Posts
I thought the same as Hasheesh, but two picks in, might as well stick to the same train of thought, for better or for worse.

I choose Bun B (rapper).
HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 HaSheeSh_basic
I pick rapper O.C.
mowz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 mowz00
Member since 2004 • 18692 Posts

I pick...

Method Man

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#167 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
kill me now my two next picks in a row.
TheHimura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 TheHimura
Member since 2005 • 9297 Posts
[QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"]

Mkavanaugh77

Thats a wierd choice, i thought you didnt ike Pac

werd, wasn't expecting that Pac choice.

Avatar image for 189245455704665724390135605497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 189245455704665724390135605497
Member since 2002 • 7742 Posts
Q-Tip
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Orlando_Magic
[QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"][QUOTE="Orlando_Magic"]

TheHimura

Thats a wierd choice, i thought you didnt ike Pac

werd, wasn't expecting that Pac choice.

I like Pac but I do think he's overrated. However he's a great person to have on your label because not only is he a good rapper but he sells. And he's a great value getting him in the freakin third round of a hip-hop draft. Some of the other rappers/producers I like I know I can get in later rounds anyway.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

I choose Wyclef.(rapper)

No one picking him yet is a huge surpise... Wylcef is that ****ing dude on the mic.

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 elpooz
[QUOTE="elpooz"]

I choose Wyclef.(rapper)

No one picking him yet is a huge surpise... Wylcef is that ****ing dude on the mic.

Mkavanaugh77

Whoaa kinda of a random choice, I mean he ripped ish apart with the Fugees but man he really isnt considered a good rapper is he?

Dude is still dope imo. Listen to his last few albums (even though pretty much all of them are good)... mos def still has it. Did you not hear him rip Sweetest Girl like... last year?

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Orlando_Magic
[QUOTE="elpooz"][QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"][QUOTE="elpooz"]

I choose Wyclef.(rapper)

Mkavanaugh77

Whoaa kinda of a random choice, I mean he ripped ish apart with the Fugees but man he really isnt considered a good rapper is he?

Dude is still dope imo. Listen to his last few albums (even though pretty much all of them are good)... mos def still has it. Did you not hear him rip Sweetest Girl like... last year?

sweetest girl?

That remake of Wu-Tang's C.R.E.A.M.... Raekwon was on the remix. I never liked Wyclef as a rapper...

elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 elpooz
[QUOTE="elpooz"][QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"][QUOTE="elpooz"]

I choose Wyclef.(rapper)

Mkavanaugh77

sweetest girl?

One of the dopest songs of last year...

The remix was dope too. Raekwon ripped his verse

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#178 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm surprised no one picked him before. We are deciding on when they were at their best, right? Wow, what a steal. :P

Jay-Z + RZA + Eminem = :oops:

HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 HaSheeSh_basic

I'm surprised no one picked him before. We are deciding on when they were at their best, right? Wow, what a steal. :P

Aljosa23
i think that's a rather mediocre combo
mowz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 mowz00
[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

HaSheeSh_basic

i thought the same thing...no offense alj

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#182 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
[QUOTE="mowz00"][QUOTE="HaSheeSh_basic"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Mkavanaugh77

i thought the same thing...no offense alj

Word, i like the Jay pick but RZA and Em? nah

Haters. :(

Maybe it's just my different tastes but Jay and Em will go good on RZA's cinematic-type beats like Rainy Dayz and Wu Gambinos. I still got 2 more picks anyway. :D

Agnidev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 Agnidev
Member since 2007 • 1432 Posts

i take Mary J. Blige as my vocalist

Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts

I first rapper is 50 cent

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#185 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

Who knows if it's actually him in that pic, but I'll go with Doom. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 189245455704665724390135605497

Foolz3h

as a rapper? or a producer?

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#187 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

WorstGameEver

Rapper.

You can only have 2 producers anyway can't you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 189245455704665724390135605497
[QUOTE="WorstGameEver"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Foolz3h

Rapper.

there isn't really a limit, but you'd probably wanna have atleast one rapper or one producer haha
Avatar image for forgetwatyahear
forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 forgetwatyahear
Member since 2005 • 6260 Posts

I choose kanye west as a rapper

mowz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 mowz00

forgotitookkanye
Ummmm lol....ur kiddin right?
Apocalypse33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Apocalypse33
[QUOTE="forgotitookkanye"]

mowz00

lol he got snatched ages ago
HaSheeSh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 HaSheeSh_basic
[QUOTE="forgotitookkanye"]

mowz00

He can't seem to comprehend the fact that Kanye is taken

Or maybe he assumed that since he was taken as a producer, then it's okay to have him picked as a rapper...which is something I'm unsure of myself

Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="mowz00"][QUOTE="forgotitookkanye"]

HaSheeSh_basic

Or maybe he assumed that since he was taken as a producer, then it's okay to have him picked as a rapper...which is something I'm unsure of myself

Can't be done. lol @ forget
Colt45fool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Colt45fool
[QUOTE="WorstGameEver"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Foolz3h

Rapper.

You must have at least 3 rappers, and at least 1 producer. Everything else is optional

You can have 3 rappers/2 producers, 3 rappers/1 producer/1 singer, or 4 rappers/1 producer.

forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 forgetwatyahear
[QUOTE="mowz00"][QUOTE="forgotitookkanye"]

HaSheeSh_basic

it was the latter. 

idk,u can pick someone as a producer then their goen forever.

So does that mean doom and rza are gone too?

forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 forgetwatyahear

i choose Q-Tip then

TheHimura

Forum Posts