Wii U Designed for One WII U pad. Why Nintendo Why?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gastof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gastof
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

Sometimes i dont really understand nintendo.why do a prefect game console and controller and limit it to a console.i dont care if its graphics and power is lower than the PS4 and Xbox720(which i dought) and far as i get Mario,Zelda,Metriod,F-Zero and donkey kong in full HD im ok,only to limit its power to only one controller.Only to make sony steal this idea and make it up to 4 controllers support for each consoles.Nintendo stocks took another hit today and they wonder why.Its beecause of the name WTF is WII U.why not name it Nintendo Stream of even Nintendo U stream or Nintendo U play.People dont like the WII U name because its seems to be a add on to the WII.

How Nintendo can make this right:

Change the Name.

Make the console support up to 2 or 4 Controllers for Co-op and mutiplay.

Make a New Motion controller more advance than the PS move to work alond side the new controller.

Also stop the Whole region lock thing.

Please let me know what you think.

fitzokoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 fitzokoli
Member since 2005 • 3236 Posts

Its doesnt come out till next year..Plenty time

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I can't tell if you're actually saying that Nintendo's stocks dropped around 9% because the console is named "Wii U".

They've said that the reason why the controller limit was imposed was because the Wii U does all the processing and just transmits a video feed to the controller, and as such supporting multiple controllers would commensurately increase the strain on the console.

As for a better motion controller... it's called the Wii Remote Plus. It's been out for years. The original Wii remotes without Wii Motion Plus don't even function with the Wii U.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Changing the Wii name would be bad for business, the stock dropped because they seemed to have moved away from what was money in the bank for the Wii. And if the console can only handle one, it can only handle one.
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

One of the biggest concerns I've been reading from user comments is the cost of new Wii U controllers for the system. Now that it seems that you won't have to be purchasing three additional Wii U controllers that may or may not be pricey, people STILL want to complain?

Is there any scenario where Nintendo isn't vilified for making bold design choices or economically sound console decisions?

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Changing the Wii name would be bad for business, the stock dropped because they seemed to have moved away from what was money in the bank for the Wii. And if the console can only handle one, it can only handle one. Sepewrath
They also said they are working on having two play at the same time but for right now they can only get one working at a time.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea... stockholders saw they went back to the hardcore and figured it will sell less like the gamecube.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Changing the Wii name would be bad for business, the stock dropped because they seemed to have moved away from what was money in the bank for the Wii. And if the console can only handle one, it can only handle one. Sepewrath
It's not just bad for business. It wouldn't make sense since they're keeping the Wiimotes and other Wii devices, it's clearly an extension of what they're doing. It had to fit in the "Wii universe". Also stock dropped because investors expected Nintendo to bet on social gaming where "everything is happening".
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

One of the biggest concerns I've been reading from user comments is the cost of new Wii U controllers for the system. Now that it seems that you won't have to be purchasing three additional Wii U controllers that may or may not be pricey, people STILL want to complain?

Is there any scenario where Nintendo isn't vilified for making bold design choices or economically sound console decisions?

FFCYAN

Its not really that expensive. LCD screensare piss-cheap. Its an oversized DS screen with better PQ and resolution. Combine that with a few cents worth of plastic and innards and it's still cheap. You can get an Android tablet with a 7" screen for less than 100 bucks. Nintendo could make and sell these for around 60 bucks imo since it lacks any real processing innards.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The original Wii remotes without Wii Motion Plus don't even function with the Wii U.

GabuEx

Link?

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

The original Wii remotes without Wii Motion Plus don't even function with the Wii U.

goblaa

Link?

Here is the link

Nintendo's Wii U console will not support original models of the Wii controller without a MotionPlus attachment, according to comments made by Shigeru Miyamoto.

ants83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ants83
Member since 2005 • 359 Posts

Not a big problem to me as its been years since I've played with friends on the same console, I just play online and you WILL be able to buy the new controller in the shops as your console will be pretty useless if your controller breaks.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
of this move at first I was angry and bewildered, but I've come to accept it. For me it isn't even a huge deal since I prefer single player games. It's just that I imagined that you could use these new controllers instead of splitscreen local multiplayer, where other people can't see your screen. Since the controllers cannot be used in this way, this places a huge limitation on what you can design. Game devs have to make games playable without the wiiU controller screen since not everyone will get one. Shame. The more I think of it though, the more I realize that this is the only real drawback to this limitation. There will still be lots of things that the wiiU can do that have not been seen in gaming before
ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ii20JcM05ii
Member since 2010 • 394 Posts

They're playing it off like it's "Only made for one" because they know they'll get a bad rep for being the company that is "selling $100 controllers". Although they know that to make a new system, they had to make a new experience. I guess we'll be using Wii remotes (and classic controls I assume?) for a lot of multiplayer games. This news does concern me alittle and makes me feel alittle weird... :/

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wintry_Flutist

They're playing it off like it's "Only made for one" because they know they'll get a bad rep for being the company that is "selling $100 controllers".

ii20JcM05ii
They're playing it off like that cause they're having a hard time making more than one controller work... What a stupid theory.
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
1 controller is plenty enough. I doubt there'll be many benefits for 4 of those controllers anyhow. You might as well just play split screen.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

GabuEx

To put it simple: WHAT THE HELL!?

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]The original Wii remotes without Wii Motion Plus don't even function with the Wii U.

Rod90

Well they want to actually support Wii Remote Plus/ Wii Motion Plus so for this console if you can't use the original Wii Remote that means that developers now have to support Wii Motion Plus.

But the regular Wii Remote does function with Wii U it just can't be used for Wii U games.

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts
A little typical Nintendo i must say. The WiiU could be the best local multiplayer console EVER, imagine playing 4-player Mario Kart or some shooter with your own screen, no one can peek at your screen, that would be INSANE. But no it has to be ONE per console. :( At least i hope you can play all shooters with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, i hope they don't screw that one up also..
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]

ChubbyGuy40

Its not really that expensive. LCD screensare piss-cheap. Its an oversized DS screen with better PQ and resolution. Combine that with a few cents worth of plastic and innards and it's still cheap. You can get an Android tablet with a 7" screen for less than 100 bucks. Nintendo could make and sell these for around 60 bucks imo since it lacks any real processing innards.

Yeah, I was simply pointing out the fact that any decision Nintendo goes with is going to be criticized without much thought.

I did state the controller may not be expensive, which I highlighted in green. It won't likely happen due to the fact that streaming all that data wirelessly without lag will required (too much?) processing power from the Wii U console.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]The original Wii remotes without Wii Motion Plus don't even function with the Wii U.

Rod90

They want Wii Motion Plus to be the standard for Wii U. If they supported the original controllers then it would only be an option, and most games wouldn't support it. It's not really hard to see why they would do that.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#22 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
One theory I have is you can only transmit the tv to the wii u and back to only ONE Wii U controller.
riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

[QUOTE="ii20JcM05ii"]

They're playing it off like it's "Only made for one" because they know they'll get a bad rep for being the company that is "selling $100 controllers".

Wintry_Flutist

They're playing it off like that cause they're having a hard time making more than one controller work... What a stupid theory.

It's especially stupid since that's not how much the controller would sell for. You know how much an iPad 2 replacement screen is? $40. And that's selling it for a large profit. It costs about $15 to make an iPad 2 screen, and those screens are higher resolution and larger than the Wii U controller's screen. So the Wii U controller's screen would be more like $10 to make. And Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers all cost under $10 to make, but they're all sold for $50. So add the $10 screen and the $10 controller components and that's $20. Then theres the camera costs, which webcams seriously cost $2 to make, so $22. Add whatever else would possibly go in there and that's probably $30 or so. Nintendo can sell a $30 controller for $60 no problem.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sepewrath
[QUOTE="Guovssohas"]A little typical Nintendo i must say. The WiiU could be the best local multiplayer console EVER, imagine playing 4-player Mario Kart or some shooter with your own screen, no one can peek at your screen, that would be INSANE. But no it has to be ONE per console. :( At least i hope you can play all shooters with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, i hope they don't screw that one up also..

That is also rather unfeasible, the kind of power it would take to make 4 controllers do what this thing is doing simultaneous, would be exorbitant amounts of power, this thing would have to rival or exceed high end PC's. Do you know how much that would cost? 4 players will definitely not happen, they may figure out 2 at some point though. Though both controllers probably wouldn't have full functionality.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wintry_Flutist
It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.Wintry_Flutist

Exactly - the vast majority of computing power required for video games is dedicated to rendering the visuals, and since the controllers have no processing ability, that means that four controllers would basically require the Wii U to do four times as much work. In other words, the only games that would be viable for four-player multiplayer would be those that only used a quarter of the Wii U's capabilities. Then everyone would be all over how terrible the game looks.

This is the problem that comes with being a consumer of technology who doesn't understand fundamental limitations therein. :P

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sepewrath

Coop mode in online only for gaming ... if that ... Nintendo this is fail

When hasn't a system had the ability to use multiple controllers ?!?!?! It has been a long time I'd say.

DeViLzzz
You don't understand, local multiplayer would be possible with Wii controller's, they would not be skipping local multiplayer; the point is if they cant figure out how to get more than one tablet going, meaning you couldn't have local multiplayer with people using the Upad. Like I said, I think they'll get two, albeit with reduced visual quality, the same thing that happens on standard splitscreen.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Its to be expected. Here is an example. Im going to use the Rumored GTA V in developement for the Wii U as an example.

Lets say that for some reason the game had local multiplayer (I hope it does) and instead of only being 2 player, lets say its 4 player. Here it goes:

You start the game and find an area where local multiplayer starts at, you and your 3 buds all have Wii U controllers (letssay that the Wii U does indeed allow more than one Wii Ucontroller). You start the local multiplayer and at first, all of you are on the big HD TV, the Wii U controllers are currently being used for the menus and map. You guys go around causing trouble and chaos, and then, you 4 deside to split up, but wait! That isnt possible, you couldnt do that in GTA SA, if you tried to split up, you would run into an invisible wall after awhile. But now, the Wii U is very powerful, so now, when you guys split up, it allows you to do this, you all go in different directs btw. When you all get too far away from each other on the TV to the point where you "would hit an invisible wall" the TV suddenly becomes the map and menues and the controller becomes the screens. Eventually you 4 all get to different areas of the map where you cant hear, harm, or see each other. Everything is completely rendered, there is little to no noticeable frame rate drops, objects dont take forever to load, and all animations of characters/cars/ and other things still look as natural as can be. Looking at what I said above, its something (that if you even liked the local multiplayer in GTA SA) that would be truely great. But sadly, lets be realalistic here. The Wii U is powerful, I have no doubt about that, but it is not going to be powerful enough where it can send 4 completely different video feeds. This is one reason probably to why GTA IV didnt have local multiplayer. Since with online multiplayer, YOUR console isnt the one rendering the game for everyone. Everyone's individual console is rendering the game for them. That makes more sense then trying to kill your console be rendering 4 completely different things in real time.

Sorry for the wall of text, something tells me that didnt make much sense. But what Im trying to say, is that I doubt that 4 WiiUablets (Im calling the tablet controller for the Wii U that) will be possible for the console, especially at launch when no one, not even Nintendo, knows all the ins and outs of the systems capabilities. Maybe 4 controllers will be possible later in in the life of the Wii U, but I doubt at launch, although... 2 Wii Uablets might be possible. Besides, Miyamoto did say during this years E3 at some point that they were still looking at all the possible things that they could/ should do. That means that more than one WiiUablet is still very possible.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

They've said that the reason why the controller limit was imposed was because the Wii U does all the processing and just transmits a video feed to the controller, and as such supporting multiple controllers would commensurately increase the strain on the console.

GabuEx

Well, there goes my hopes and dreams for Madden. Good thing I don't play that game anymore.

PoindeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PoindeJ
Member since 2005 • 686 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Changing the Wii name would be bad for business, the stock dropped because they seemed to have moved away from what was money in the bank for the Wii. And if the console can only handle one, it can only handle one. Wintry_Flutist
It's not just bad for business. It wouldn't make sense since they're keeping the Wiimotes and other Wii devices, it's clearly an extension of what they're doing. It had to fit in the "Wii universe". Also stock dropped because investors expected Nintendo to bet on social gaming where "everything is happening".

The stock dropped because investors simply don't like uncertainty, and Nintendo gave us a lot of it at this year's press conference.

I think 2 WiiPads per console is pretty ideal. Four seems a bit unreasonable and expensive (and just too many accessories to be lying under my TV). One seems a bit too limiting, though. With 2 WiiPads and 4 remotes, that's six-player local multiplayer. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

That all said, I'm pretty sure Nintendo hasn't made up its mind on this one just yet.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.GabuEx

Exactly - the vast majority of computing power required for video games is dedicated to rendering the visuals, and since the controllers have no processing ability, that means that four controllers would basically require the Wii U to do four times as much work. In other words, the only games that would be viable for four-player multiplayer would be those that only used a quarter of the Wii U's capabilities. Then everyone would be all over how terrible the game looks.

This is the problem that comes with being a consumer of technology who doesn't understand fundamental limitations therein. :P

Someone brought this up in another thread, though: Games have been doing four-part splitscreen for a long time, and it seems to me like that's rendering the game four times. The visuals are often downgraded, but it still works. Do you know if that's any different from what the WiiU would be doing?

If it's not, then it becomes a question of being able to have more than one wireless stream going out at once. Also, I would guess that devs could be creative and only stream simple things to the controllers' screens, like stats or an items screen, but that honestly makes it seem kind of pointless in the context of multiplayer.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Sometimes i dont really understand nintendo.why do a prefect game console and controller and limit it to a console.i dont care if its graphics and power is lower than the PS4 and Xbox720(which i dought) and far as i get Mario,Zelda,Metriod,F-Zero and donkey kong in full HD im ok,only to limit its power to only one controller.Only to make sony steal this idea and make it up to 4 controllers support for each consoles.Nintendo stocks took another hit today and they wonder why.Its beecause of the name WTF is WII U.why not name it Nintendo Stream of even Nintendo U stream or Nintendo U play.People dont like the WII U name because its seems to be a add on to the WII.

How Nintendo can make this right:

Change the Name.

Make the console support up to 2 or 4 Controllers for Co-op and mutiplay.

Make a New Motion controller more advance than the PS move to work alond side the new controller.

Also stop the Whole region lock thing.

Please let me know what you think.

gastof

I'm kind of worried about it too, but I can think of good reasons why they only limit it to one console.

It looks expensive. If you could buy multiple controllers for it, then developers generally would make games with the Wii Pads as standard. But then it's quite expensive to do so, so why even bother? No one will have the controllers to do multiplayer. So if they make the controller part of the console, and the Wii Motes part of the multiplayer experience, then it drops costs, and developers won't be caught in limbo on what multiplayer method they should be supporting (and don't tell me they can do both, because a 4 screen controller method would completely redesign the multiplayer, so you couldn't simply move between controllers like you can on Wii games like Mario Kart or SSBB).

I can see the idea, single player (and online multiplayer) experience enhanced as we all can imagine with the controller. Multiplayer will be limited, but taken in a new direction with Wii Pad + Wii controller support.

Atleast I don't have to go buy new controllers now. This could very well be the cheapest console to come out (Wii controllers are getting pretty cheap now too!).

But yeah, I'm a little sceptical, I'm anxious, and I'm a little worried about it. But nevertheless, it's exciting to see how this takes things. It's really gonna be a new (and fulfilling) experience, that of which will surpass what the Wii method could bring to the table.

srdjan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 srdjan311
Member since 2007 • 1247 Posts

it still hasn't come out yet, there's still plenty of time left. they just might make it able to support 4 controllers.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath

Someone brought this up in another thread, though: Games have been doing four-part splitscreen for a long time, and it seems to me like that's rendering the game four times. The visuals are often downgraded, but it still works. Do you know if that's any different from what the WiiU would be doing?

JordanElek
No, not really. Transmitting all this data real time to another device--wireless at that, puts more torque on the system. Remember the controller isn't running the game, its just a visual stream, the data is still running on the console. So basically this is what the console would be doing, splitting the screen par usual, running 4 different images at one time. Then it takes those 4 images, still running them and simultaneously streams them to another device, without lag. So even though while you may not see the images on the TV screen, the console is still running them and then its displaying it somewhere else. Its like playing the game 8 times simultaneously as opposed to standard splitscreen which the console runs the game 4 times and doesn't have to display it anywhere else. I think 4 Upads is completely out of the question.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nintendo_Ownes7

Miyamoto says it might be easier if they use their 3DS as a second controller if they already have one.

News.com.au posed that same question to Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, who replied that he believes it may be more convenient for people to simply use their Nintendo 3DSes as secondary controllers if they happen to own them.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/09/nintendo-considering-using-nintendo-3ds-as-a-second-wii-u-controller/

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.JordanElek

If it's not, then it becomes a question of being able to have more than one wireless stream going out at once. Also, I would guess that devs could be creative and only stream simple things to the controllers' screens, like stats or an items screen, but that honestly makes it seem kind of pointless in the context of multiplayer.

Well, the thing about four-part splitscreen is that the resolution of each "screen" is much less, since combined the four screens take up only one TV screen. As such, it's not really doing the work for single-player mode four times (it is more, which is why graphics do tend to be a little degraded for splitscreen, but not that much more). With the Wii U, however, since it's got entirely separate screens, every single controller would be receiving full-screen output, which would make it literally four times as much work.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
stick with wiiu...its getting headlines. wii was a silly name at the time..was ridiculed and it didnt harm the console at all. adding a U at the end is hardly making it worse in fariness. im sure the young would prefer something like Xtrememegaoptikicka** ninty 5000MAXIMUM (the caps are important there :P). but like wii, wiiu is recognisable and approachable...and a little funny. a new motion controller to go with it would be nice but it would also take the focus off the main controller. maybe in a year or 2 after launch they will make one as an extra :P. seriously though the wiiu only supports wiimotes with WM+ so as standard itll have better motion detection than the wii (unless the wii game uses WM+). no region locking would be nice though.....but old business models die hard. as for only the one wiiu controller...yeah if that limit sticks then ninty will definately be missing a trick or two. as far as i know the spec is not finalised yet so hopefully ninty are thinking of 2 maybe 3 things. 1) adding extra wireless equipment or whatever (could also involve video compression and a basic CPU in the controller to decode it) to allow for 4 wiiu controller support. it needs to be hefty to deal with potentially 4 video streams but it should be doable on what im guessing will be an ad-hoc connection between console and controller. 2) making sure theres enough horsepower in the console to deal with rendering 4 video streams while also have at least PS3 level visuals on the main screen. it would be a shame if devs need to start making serious cuts to get 4 controller support. 3) this is more of a little fancy of mine and is pretty far fetched...but running multiple games at the same time. not full wiiu games of course but wii, VC and wiiware games. so i could be in bed playing MH3 on my wiiu controller, by brother could be playing mario galaxy on the big screen using a wiimote and nunchuck and my sister could be playing animal crossing on her wiiu pad somewhere else in the house...all while my cat is playing smash bros on her wiiu controller (i have a smart cat :P). thats a hell of an ask though. emulating the wii will be hard enough....emulating 4 wiis basically..not a chance. older VC games like snes and probably N64 sure. but i think the wii would be a bridge too far to have 4 instances of. ...would be nice though :).
Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.Wintry_Flutist

I'm no tech whiz but can't they just essentially do split screen and beam the quarter of the screen to the relevant controller? I'd take a hit on graphics to have something like this. It was pretty much the first feature I thought of when I saw the controller.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The console will support 4 Upads. I can't see Nintendo killing simulataneous local multiplayer. In what context will depend purely on the game. I can't see Nintendo not offering that kind of support at least in a minimal sense. Will we get 4 separate video streams of the actual game? Doubt it. But at least menu, maps, or item screens.

That said, the Upad is a standard controller in terms of design (not including the touchscreen). To play local multiplayer, is Nintendo going to release a standard controller so that the other 3 players can also play with a "standard controller" similar to the Upad instead of playing with the WiiM+ remote? I guess we could use the c.l.a.s.s.i.c controller. Hopefully Nintendo offers something else if they don't want to give us 4 Upads at once.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

The console will support 4 Upads. I can't see Nintendo killing simulataneous local multiplayer. In what context will depend purely on the game. I can't see Nintendo not offering that kind of support at least in a minimal sense. Will we get 4 separate video streams of the actual game? Doubt it. But at least menu, maps, or item screens.

That said, the Upad is a standard controller in terms of design (not including the touchscreen). To play local multiplayer, is Nintendo going to release a standard controller so that the other 3 players can also play with a "standard controller" similar to the Upad instead of playing with the WiiM+ remote? I guess we could use the c.l.a.s.s.i.c controller. Hopefully Nintendo offers something else if they don't want to give us 4 Upads at once.

sonic_spark

What? No, Nintendo already stated that the Wii U is only gonna use one Wii U controller at a time. And the Wii Remote with Wii Motion+ will be the standard used controller for multiplayer games. The classic controller will probably be compatible as well.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wintry_Flutist

[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]It seems indeed people don't get sending images to two controllers means rendering the game twice. Not counting what's being rendered on TV. Four controllers then... It would take a behemoth of a machine to do that. Even if Nintendo finally decides to support more than one Upad by console, expect games supporting such kind of multiplayer to look worse.Leaky_Taps_Man

I'm no tech whiz but can't they just essentially do split screen and beam the quarter of the screen to the relevant controller? I'd take a hit on graphics to have something like this. It was pretty much the first feature I thought of when I saw the controller.

My guess is that streaming four camera angles on top of rendering them adds to the specs required. So they might just decide not to go that way. One thing is to see the graphics worsen significantly on splitscreen, another is to see them worsen even more on your own personal screen. Would seem like they were selling dreams, right?
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
[QUOTE="Guovssohas"]A little typical Nintendo i must say. The WiiU could be the best local multiplayer console EVER, imagine playing 4-player Mario Kart or some shooter with your own screen, no one can peek at your screen, that would be INSANE. But no it has to be ONE per console. :( At least i hope you can play all shooters with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, i hope they don't screw that one up also..

...I think that's what the 3DS is for. Or any handheld with multiplayer is for.....
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]

riariases

What? No, Nintendo already stated that the Wii U is only gonna use one Wii U controller at a time. And the Wii Remote with Wii Motion+ will be the standard used controller for multiplayer games. The classic controller will probably be compatible as well.

They said MOST LIKELY it will support one. Not written in stone. The most I see the Wii U using would be 2 controllers. Sport games will need to have a second one if they want offline multiplayer to work without all the crap on the screen....
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#45 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Hopefully they will change their minds and make it support more than one Wii U pad at a time.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JordanElek

Well, the thing about four-part splitscreen is that the resolution of each "screen" is much less, since combined the four screens take up only one TV screen. As such, it's not really doing the work for single-player mode four times (it is more, which is why graphics do tend to be a little degraded for splitscreen, but not that much more). With the Wii U, however, since it's got entirely separate screens, every single controller would be receiving full-screen output, which would make it literally four times as much work.GabuEx
But I assume the resolution of the controller is much less than the TV anyway, so there's that.

At the very least, the fact that Nintendo has even said anything about this means that it's difficult to do more than one WiiU controller. The only reservation I have is that Nintendo is just saying they'll limit it to one controller for cost issues, not technical issues, on the part of the consumer. They might choose to declare a one-controller standard so that people (and therefore developers) won't be turned off by the ridiculous cost of local multiplayer.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GabuEx

But I assume the resolution of the controller is much less than the TV anyway, so there's that.

JordanElek

True. I don't know; I'm not a hardware expert. :P

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

GabuEx

True. I don't know; I'm not a hardware expert. :P

lol, yeah I know, which makes this whole thing frustrating to think about. Even if any of us were a hardware expert, we'd still only be guessing because nobody knows what's actually in the WiiU.

At least I don't care either way. One controller has just as much potential as four, in my opinion. Creative things can come out of it regardless.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Even though the Wii U has been unveiled by Nintendo this week at E3, it is still considered a prototype? After all, the specifications have yet to be finalized and it is possible that future research by Nintendo may allow more than one tablet.

I wonder whether there will be technical issues of streaming video to multiple tablets at the same time. At least the Wii U will not go on sale until sometime next year.

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

It isn't final yet and even if it doesn't end up being able to support only one then i think there is a very good chance that they will release wireless controllers similar to the of the classic controller pro.