Punch-out!! News: Classic Control officially confirmed!

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 0

#1 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

Whoo yeah! It's on IGN. I'll post the link tomorrow. I'm tired.

But seriously, that was one of my main concerns and we got that cleared up. VERY good news.

EDIT: alright, here's the linkylink: http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

Just to clarify (some people seemed confused) you can use motion controls OR the NES controls. They're not getting rid of motion controls- that would be silly.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
yup and i started spreeding the love of the new on every punch out thread i found on here a few hours ago
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
hoooya!! wait does that mean GC controller's covered too
black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 black_ice23
Member since 2003 • 1288 Posts
dont you think nintendo is less effect of the revolution of motion controls if they keep adding C Control or C Controller or GC controls into all these games? its making it seem like just in case, but isnt that the reason we bought the Wii for the new way to play, but yet i hear whines for standard controller support so often? outside of SSBB i cant really see why they should keep using it, imagine if they added that support to Wii Sports, MP3, SMG, Mario Strikers, or MK Wii? it would give Devs a reason not really use them, they could be like Nintendo isnt using them why should we, it would give fuel to the fire of the haters who say Wii = GC 1.5 when it clearly isnt, i understand when it just wont work like in say SSBB and certain RPG, but in a sports game like this that has had its genre proved by Wii Boxing to be successful with motion why are they still adding C control support? why go back almost 20 years in control when we are trying to inovate, if it was so good im sure we would be using that control to this day
Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

Will this come out after Wii Motion Plus? I hope so. Classic controler to me is just lame. I play the Wii for the Motion Controls. If I want to play with a controller I'll go play my friend's 360.

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 black_ice23

Will this come out after Wii Motion Plus? I hope so. Classic controler to me is just lame. I play the Wii for the Motion Controls. If I want to play with a controller I'll go play my friend's 360.

Durhamster
exactly, but i heard theres no Wii motion plus, just regular motion , but i might be mistaken
Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

[QUOTE="Durhamster"]

black_ice23

exactly, but i heard theres no Wii motion plus, just regular motion , but i might be mistaken

Oh well. Even if theres no Wii Motion Plus it should be a huge upgrade over Wii Sports Boxing.

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 black_ice23
[QUOTE="Durhamster"]

[QUOTE="black_ice23"][QUOTE="Durhamster"]

Oh well. Even if theres no Wii Motion Plus it should be a huge upgrade over Wii Sports Boxing.

lets hope so, since that was a launch title they should have enough time to improve and learn
channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

But seriously, that was one of my main concerns and we got that cleared up. VERY good news.

blankshore
I don't know if anyone saw in another thread I posted in, but this is the kinda thing that pisses me off about some TC's. If you don't want to post the link when you create the topic, then don't post it. I have no clue what you are talking about, how am I supposed to be able to read the news and comment? Do you mean the classic controller can be used? Is there some classic control system that I don't know about? Does it have motion controls also? I haven't kept up on this game so I don't know the details.
dan543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 dan543
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts

This kinda... sucks?? I mean, its ok to give the player options, but how can we expect to play original cool games for the Wii if we still retain to old controls?? We gotta try new stuff! Do it right, and you nail it. Do it wrong and there is no point to be in the Wii. There are a bunch of good games with good Wii controls, so make good use of them devs!

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Sweet thats good to hear the classic control option will be there. Wii motion controls are fine but I like the option to switch between them.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

This kinda... sucks?? I mean, its ok to give the player options, but how can we expect to play original cool games for the Wii if we still retain to old controls?? We gotta try new stuff! Do it right, and you nail it. Do it wrong and there is no point to be in the Wii. There are a bunch of good games with good Wii controls, so make good use of them devs!

dan543
How does having both options suck? You want to use motion controls, then go for it. You want to use classic controls, you can do that too. It's a win-win situation. This should make everyone happy, not upset.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Cool one of my main concerns are finally gone. Now if the motion controls suck i can go to traditonal controls:D
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
Release of the Classic Controller Pro makes a lot more sense now. This was the smart thing for Nintendo to do for sure. We really shouldn't complain about getting multiple control options. After all it should be the opposite of most games, with motion controls as standard and the traditional controls tacked on.
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blankshore

dont you think nintendo is less effect of the revolution of motion controls if they keep adding C Control or C Controller or GC controls into all these games? its making it seem like just in case, but isnt that the reason we bought the Wii for the new way to play, but yet i hear whines for standard controller support so often? outside of SSBB i cant really see why they should keep using it, imagine if they added that support to Wii Sports, MP3, SMG, Mario Strikers, or MK Wii? it would give Devs a reason not really use them, they could be like Nintendo isnt using them why should we, it would give fuel to the fire of the haters who say Wii = GC 1.5 when it clearly isnt, i understand when it just wont work like in say SSBB and certain RPG, but in a sports game like this that has had its genre proved by Wii Boxing to be successful with motion why are they still adding C control support? why go back almost 20 years in control when we are trying to inovate, if it was so good im sure we would be using that control to this dayblack_ice23

I see your point, but I don't agree. With Punch-Out, more than any other game, relies on accuracy and timing. Now, I think that motion controls are an absolute must for this game. This game has to set the standard for all other boxing games to follow. BUT if the controls aren't accurate enough, it's good to have a back-up plan. My main concern is how tiring it would be. I remember when I first got my Wii with Wii Sports my arms were sore from playing so much Wii Boxing. And Wii boxing isn't even that good. I plan on playing Punch-Out with the motion controls, but sometimes you've got to kick back and let your arms relax. I think it's great that they added the option.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
Fairly unimpressive. It's nice to have choices, but isn't adding this taking away what makes the Wii so different? It would also be nice to have Motion Plus compatibility. Although I haven't played Punch Out before, and it may not be fair to say this just yet, but it sounds like it might just be a graphically upgraded rehash with Wii Sports Boxing controls.
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blankshore

[QUOTE="blankshore"]

channtheman1

I don't know if anyone saw in another thread I posted in, but this is the kinda thing that pisses me off about some TC's. If you don't want to post the link when you create the topic, then don't post it. I have no clue what you are talking about, how am I supposed to be able to read the news and comment? Do you mean the classic controller can be used? Is there some classic control system that I don't know about? Does it have motion controls also? I haven't kept up on this game so I don't know the details.

Alright smart guy, here's the link http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

I posted it because I've never posted anything newsworthy before- someone alwaysbeast me to it. If you really cared, couldn't you just go to IGN and look it up yourself?

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

[QUOTE="black_ice23"]dont you think nintendo is less effect of the revolution of motion controls if they keep adding C Control or C Controller or GC controls into all these games? its making it seem like just in case, but isnt that the reason we bought the Wii for the new way to play, but yet i hear whines for standard controller support so often? outside of SSBB i cant really see why they should keep using it, imagine if they added that support to Wii Sports, MP3, SMG, Mario Strikers, or MK Wii? it would give Devs a reason not really use them, they could be like Nintendo isnt using them why should we, it would give fuel to the fire of the haters who say Wii = GC 1.5 when it clearly isnt, i understand when it just wont work like in say SSBB and certain RPG, but in a sports game like this that has had its genre proved by Wii Boxing to be successful with motion why are they still adding C control support? why go back almost 20 years in control when we are trying to inovate, if it was so good im sure we would be using that control to this dayblankshore

I see your point, but I don't agree. With Punch-Out, more than any other game, relies on accuracy and timing. Now, I think that motion controls are an absolute must for this game. This game has to set the standard for all other boxing games to follow. BUT if the controls aren't accurate enough, it's good to have a back-up plan. My main concern is how tiring it would be. I remember when I first got my Wii with Wii Sports my arms were sore from playing so much Wii Boxing. And Wii boxing isn't even that good. I plan on playing Punch-Out with the motion controls, but sometimes you've got to kick back and let your arms relax. I think it's great that they added the option.

agreed...I don't think they could get the controls precise enough for my tastes. Punch Out has always been about finding that rythm/pattern and sticking to it. It would be fun punching characters with motion, but I still don't think it would register like it should. Especially the nunchuk!

I hope to god they keep the same feel of the original. I loved how it was soooo over exagerating on the characters and their ethnicities lol.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blankshore

You won't have to worry about that! Have you seen the preview? Croisants (spelling?) and Baggettes fly all over the place when you knock out Glass Joe-who's french. Racism=highly confirmed

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dingerious
Member since 2009 • 685 Posts

I know a lot of you guys wanted this, but screw it. This sucks. I wanted dual wiimotes with motion+ for 1 to 1 punches. I'd much rather that than the original punch out with a new coat of paint.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

thats good news

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blankshore

"I know a lot of you guys wanted this, but screw it. This sucks. I wanted dual wiimotes with motion+ for 1 to 1 punches. I'd much rather that than the original punch out with a new coat of paint."

Nobody said you won't get that. There's a good chance there will be motion + and unless I'm horribly mistaken- this is a completely new game. Not just a remake. Please tell me it's not justa remake!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It would also be nice to have Motion Plus compatibility. Although I haven't played Punch Out before, and it may not be fair to say this just yet, but it sounds like it might just be a graphically upgraded rehash with Wii Sports Boxing controls. Dark_Link142
You should do yourself a favor and download the original Punch Out on the VC. Once you play it, you'll understand what I'm about to say more clearly and have a ton of fun in the process.

Wii Motion Plus is simply unnecessary for this game. The controls don't require precision in terms of aiming your punches or anything like that. In Punch Out, all you do is punch high or low with your left or right hand, and dodge left, right, or back. That's it. You don't move around in the ring. You don't have special combos. You can't punch somewhere between high and low. It's one or the other.

The simplicity is what makes it so fun. The developer can focus on each opponent's actions, reactions, and special moves without having to worry about where the player is going to move. Again, you'll have to play it to understand. It's pretty accurate to say that it resembles a puzzle game.

As for allowing the option for NES controls or motion controls.... What's with all the negativity here? In this case, it can only be a good thing. I'll probably be using the motion controls all the time, and just like in Mario Kart Wii, most other people here will probably use the traditional controls. I play Mario Kart with the wheel because it's a ton more fun for me, and I assume it'll be the same for Punch Out with motion controls. The other control style is a good option for those who get more enjoyment out of being the absolute best that they can be with the more responsive controls.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Dark_Link142"]It would also be nice to have Motion Plus compatibility. Although I haven't played Punch Out before, and it may not be fair to say this just yet, but it sounds like it might just be a graphically upgraded rehash with Wii Sports Boxing controls. JordanElek

You should do yourself a favor and download the original Punch Out on the VC. Once you play it, you'll understand what I'm about to say more clearly and have a ton of fun in the process.

Wii Motion Plus is simply unnecessary for this game. The controls don't require precision in terms of aiming your punches or anything like that. In Punch Out, all you do is punch high or low with your left or right hand, and dodge left, right, or back. That's it. You don't move around in the ring. You don't have special combos. You can't punch somewhere between high and low. It's one or the other.

The simplicity is what makes it so fun. The developer can focus on each opponent's actions, reactions, and special moves without having to worry about where the player is going to move. Again, you'll have to play it to understand. It's pretty accurate to say that it resembles a puzzle game.

As for allowing the option for NES controls or motion controls.... What's with all the negativity here? In this case, it can only be a good thing. I'll probably be using the motion controls all the time, and just like in Mario Kart Wii, most other people here will probably use the traditional controls. I play Mario Kart with the wheel because it's a ton more fun for me, and I assume it'll be the same for Punch Out with motion controls. The other control style is a good option for those who get more enjoyment out of being the absolute best that they can be with the more responsive controls.

Already beat it multiple times. I wouldn't have wanted something new that pushes the genre forward if I hadn't.

The fact is, the boxing genre hasn't made any advances since the PS2. Now that we have motion+ on the horizon, there is no reason not to create a boxing game with dual wiimotes. This will revolutionize the boxing game genre and make all other forms of boxing games obsolete. Fight Night would be crushed under the sheer might of a boxing game in which your punches are directly translated on screen. Thumbsticks and button presses wouldn't be able to compete.

The scary part is that such a boxing game would EXPLODE onto the mainstream casual bandwagon. It would start with hardcore gamers, spread into frat boy parties, and creep into sight of parents looking to get a good workout.

EDIT: I understand your meaning. But what you're doing is describing the rules that Punch-Out currently adheres to, while I am describing what Punch-Out could become if Nintendo were to redefine everything you know about the boxing genre in general.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dark_Link142

JordanElek

Sounds a little like Smash Bros., in the sense of trying to anticipate your opponents moves.

Seems like a game I could get into.

I'll withdraw my comment and see how the game plays when it's out.

I'll definitely consider downloading Punch Out for VC since it seems very highly praised.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
[QUOTE="Arc2012"]Release of the Classic Controller Pro makes a lot more sense now. This was the smart thing for Nintendo to do for sure. We really shouldn't complain about getting multiple control options. After all it should be the opposite of most games, with motion controls as standard and the traditional controls tacked on.

Uh? They said they would support playing WITH THE WIIMOTE TURNED SIDEWAYS NES STYLE! They didn't say ANYTHING about the cl4ssic controller. Also, I don't see what Wiimotion plus could add to the game. You would still need to use the nunchuk for left punches, and Wiimotion plus adds nothing to the nunchuk. So, again, I don't understand why you people are whining about the game not having Wiimotion plus support.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
This is what I wanted but I'm still mad. I don't want to use the Wii Remote sideways. I want to use the classic controller. Why can't they include both options?
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

You won't have to worry about that! Have you seen the preview? Croisants (spelling?) and Baggettes fly all over the place when you knock out Glass Joe-who's french. Racism=highly confirmed

blankshore
Since when did French become a race? lol
channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

[QUOTE="channtheman1"][QUOTE="blankshore"]

blankshore

Alright smart guy, here's the link http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

I posted it because I've never posted anything newsworthy before- someone alwaysbeast me to it. If you really cared, couldn't you just go to IGN and look it up yourself?

If you want to make a topic about something, it is common courtesy to provide a link for proof and so people reading can see what you are talking about. That's all there is to it. I'm not trying to be smart. I just get annoyed when I open a topic and all it says is "yeah hooray" etc. and then doesn't post a link or anything else. Thank you for providing the link. I will go and see what you were talking about now. As for your last point, I could go to the IGN and search around and maybe find it or maybe not find it. The thing is I don't really care that much and that is why I don't want to go to IGN to devote time to look it up. If I have a link I can just click on then maybe I'll get interested though.
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blankshore

Already beat it multiple times. I wouldn't have wanted something new that pushes the genre forward if I hadn't.

The fact is, the boxing genre hasn't made any advances since the PS2. Now that we have motion+ on the horizon, there is no reason not to create a boxing game with dual wiimotes. This will revolutionize the boxing game genre and make all other forms of boxing games obsolete. Fight Night would be crushed under the sheer might of a boxing game in which your punches are directly translated on screen. Thumbsticks and button presses wouldn't be able to compete.

The scary part is that such a boxing game would EXPLODE onto the mainstream casual bandwagon. It would start with hardcore gamers, spread into frat boy parties, and creep into sight of parents looking to get a good workout.

EDIT: I understand your meaning. But what you're doing is describing the rules that Punch-Out currently adheres to, while I am describing what Punch-Out could become if Nintendo were to redefine everything you know about the boxing genre in general.

A very good point. I couldn't agree with you more. I just don't think that Punch-Out is the game to revolutionize the boxing genre, because it's really more of a puzzle game. It's like asking Super Smash. Bros to revolutionize the fighting genre, or Mario Strikers to revolutionize the soccer genre. There needs to be a boxing game that replicates 1:1 motions, but Punch-Out isn't the franchise to dump that responsibility on- it's just not that kind of game.

black_ice23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 black_ice23
[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

[QUOTE="blankshore"]

dont you think nintendo is less effect of the revolution of motion controls if they keep adding C Control or C Controller or GC controls into all these games? its making it seem like just in case, but isnt that the reason we bought the Wii for the new way to play, but yet i hear whines for standard controller support so often? outside of SSBB i cant really see why they should keep using it, imagine if they added that support to Wii Sports, MP3, SMG, Mario Strikers, or MK Wii? it would give Devs a reason not really use them, they could be like Nintendo isnt using them why should we, it would give fuel to the fire of the haters who say Wii = GC 1.5 when it clearly isnt, i understand when it just wont work like in say SSBB and certain RPG, but in a sports game like this that has had its genre proved by Wii Boxing to be successful with motion why are they still adding C control support? why go back almost 20 years in control when we are trying to inovate, if it was so good im sure we would be using that control to this dayblack_ice23

agreed...I don't think they could get the controls precise enough for my tastes. Punch Out has always been about finding that rythm/pattern and sticking to it. It would be fun punching characters with motion, but I still don't think it would register like it should. Especially the nunchuk!

I hope to god they keep the same feel of the original. I loved how it was soooo over exagerating on the characters and their ethnicities lol.

true but are you willing to try the motion controls first before the NES style to at least see if they are accurate ? or are you gonna completely ignore the motion and go to NES just like what a lot of people did in SSBB? if you do the former thats is cool, im all for choice but if you are gonna just ignore it like the IGN guys might once they finish the review, since they were the ones volley the most of NES controls, because you will never know if they are if you don't give it a chance, we dont wanna be reluctant to change and yeah your arms will get tired and you will be winded but thats expected but if we don't try it because we will get tired, than man we are lazy lol what are doing own a wii? :p
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

This is just an option which good, I don't understand why you guys are upset over it? ...Just because its a Wii game IT HAS TO USE only Wii motion control? ,,,how abt thinking outside of your little own world..what if someone injured their arm & can't do a punch motion or just couldn't be stuff ie tired arms?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JordanElek

A very good point. I couldn't agree with you more. I just don't think that Punch-Out is the game to revolutionize the boxing genre, because it's really more of a puzzle game. It's like asking Super Smash. Bros to revolutionize the fighting genre, or Mario Strikers to revolutionize the soccer genre. There needs to be a boxing game that replicates 1:1 motions, but Punch-Out isn't the franchise to dump that responsibility on- it's just not that kind of game.blankshore
Exactly what I was going to say.

A game that already takes the boxing genre seriously would be the one to expect that kind of advance from... something like Fight Night, for example, or even Ready to Rumble, which isn't a serious game at all but still uses more conventional boxing moves and such.

Also to Dark_Link, it's not really like Smash Bros. in the sense of anticipating moves. The key to Punch Out is that each character is computer-controlled and has certain tells that let you know what's about to happen. Your job is to figure out how to best combat these predetermined moves... when to punch high or low, when to just dodge, when to block, when to use ze uppercut. This is also why it wouldn't work very well as a multiplayer game, unless it's a multiplayer mode that allows for more diverse moves to actually make it fun, since you'd be playing without the tells and without the crazy personalities. But then it would cease to be Punch Out and probably wouldn't be worth the developer's time.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

[QUOTE="blankshore"]A very good point. I couldn't agree with you more. I just don't think that Punch-Out is the game to revolutionize the boxing genre, because it's really more of a puzzle game. It's like asking Super Smash. Bros to revolutionize the fighting genre, or Mario Strikers to revolutionize the soccer genre. There needs to be a boxing game that replicates 1:1 motions, but Punch-Out isn't the franchise to dump that responsibility on- it's just not that kind of game.JordanElek

Exactly what I was going to say.

A game that already takes the boxing genre seriously would be the one to expect that kind of advance from... something like Fight Night, for example, or even Ready to Rumble, which isn't a serious game at all but still uses more conventional boxing moves and such.

Also to Dark_Link, it's not really like Smash Bros. in the sense of anticipating moves. The key to Punch Out is that each character is computer-controlled and has certain tells that let you know what's about to happen. Your job is to figure out how to best combat these predetermined moves... when to punch high or low, when to just dodge, when to block, when to use ze uppercut. This is also why it wouldn't work very well as a multiplayer game, unless it's a multiplayer mode that allows for more diverse moves to actually make it fun, since you'd be playing without the tells and without the crazy personalities. But then it would cease to be Punch Out and probably wouldn't be worth the developer's time.

my thoughts exactly

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blankshore

This is just an option which good, I don't understand why you guys are upset over it? ...Just because its a Wii game IT HAS TO USE only Wii motion control? ,,,how abt thinking outside of your little own world..what if someone injured their arm & can't do a punch motion or just couldn't be stuff ie tired arms?

maxgil2

Good call. Last time I was hospitalized all I could play was Galaxy and Brawl- not aterrible thing, but I see what you're saying.Nintendo gives them options and all they do is complain. Since when is choice a bad thing? This is proof that some fanboys just can't be pleased.

Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dark_Link142

JordanElek

Interesting. It seems like a genre of it's own, really. A problem solving boxing game. :P

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

[QUOTE="dan543"]

Mike1978Smith

How does having both options suck? You want to use motion controls, then go for it. You want to use classic controls, you can do that too. It's a win-win situation. This should make everyone happy, not upset.

Well said.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dingerious

JordanElek

Why would 1 to 1 controls force the game to take itself seriously? You could have the same style, the same goofy characters, and the same ridiculous knock-out scenes with 1 to 1 controls. No problem.

The seriousness of a game is a stylistic design choice, not a mechanical design choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts

or they are just making sure that ppl that do not like this wiggle can still enjoy and play teh game.

For games like RE4, MP3, REC and others where games that the montion control were nicely apply. But others game that apply this would have being a fail to me and pry others if they did not offer an second option to play. No everyone got teh wii for the montion control and that is something that if the market do not understand would fail to raise there sell a bit more.

Innovation is good, but lets face it no always works and it has to be right. The downside of this is that some developers can just not try enough and think "who care if it does not work, we can just put CC or GC" ....

with punch-out.. yea it would make sense to have montion. BUt maybe some of the old fans just want to playthe old-game without having to jump like crazy, thus I do not know if is in teh Vc already, and even so, maybe they just want the extra that this version offer beside montion controllers, e.g. new characters and better looking...

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 favre4thewin
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts

Its obiviously for those that bought the Wii not to use the motion control, but for its superior game library and graphical capabilities:roll:

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Dingerious

Why would 1 to 1 controls force the game to take itself seriously? You could have the same style, the same goofy characters, and the same ridiculous knock-out scenes with 1 to 1 controls. No problem.

The seriousness of a game is a stylistic design choice, not a mechanical design choice.

I agree with your last statement, but I wasn't saying that 1:1 forces a game to take itself seriously. I meant that the very premise of Punch Out doesn't lend itself to advanced motion-controls. The whole foundation of the game is simplicity. In other words, it doesn't pretend to be a serious attempt at a boxing game. It isn't trying to accurately replicate the mechanics of real boxing. There are games that try to do that, though, and those would benefit greatly from 1:1 control. Punch Out simply isn't even in the same league as those games.

It'd be like wanting gear-shifting and an advanced ranking system and realistic tracks from a Mario Kart game.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Dingerious"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

JordanElek

I agree with your last statement, but I wasn't saying that 1:1 forces a game to take itself seriously. I meant that the very premise of Punch Out doesn't lend itself to advanced motion-controls. The whole foundation of the game is simplicity. In other words, it doesn't pretend to be a serious attempt at a boxing game. It isn't trying to accurately replicate the mechanics of real boxing. There are games that try to do that, though, and those would benefit greatly from 1:1 control. Punch Out simply isn't even in the same league as those games.

It'd be like wanting gear-shifting and an advanced ranking system and realistic tracks from a Mario Kart game.

...Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that memorizing a button layout, however simple it may be, is more complex than throwing a punch?

And no, it'd be more like wanting an actual wheel to turn in a Mario Kart game. Low and behold...

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JordanElek

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that memorizing a button layout, however simple it may be, is more complex than throwing a punch?Dingerious
No. By adding 1:1 control, the game would then have to allow for more than just high and low punches. It would have to allow everything in between, including missed punches. It would also allow for "half" dodges and "half" blocks, depending on how you actually move the remotes. This is the advantage of 1:1 control. It allows for the entire range of moves. Punch Out doesn't work like that. If it allowed all of that, the fundamental mechanics of the game would be very different.

I'm not arguing against motion controls... I'm arguing against Wii Motion +. It simply isn't needed for what Punch Out does. All the game requires is simple binary movements; either you perform the move or you don't. Changing this would change the whole premise of the game. It overcomplicates it, which is why I brought up the simplicity issue in my last post.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Dingerious"]Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that memorizing a button layout, however simple it may be, is more complex than throwing a punch?JordanElek

No. By adding 1:1 control, the game would then have to allow for more than just high and low punches. It would have to allow everything in between, including missed punches. It would also allow for "half" dodges and "half" blocks, depending on how you actually move the remotes. This is the advantage of 1:1 control. It allows for the entire range of moves. Punch Out doesn't work like that. If it allowed all of that, the fundamental mechanics of the game would be very different.

I'm not arguing against motion controls... I'm arguing against Wii Motion +. It simply isn't needed for what Punch Out does. All the game requires is simple binary movements; either you perform the move or you don't. Changing this would change the whole premise of the game. It overcomplicates it, which is why I brought up the simplicity issue in my last post.

I don't see how any of that is more complicated than a button layout. Throwing punches is instinctual. There's not a culture in the history of man that doesn't involve one guy punching another in the face at some point. There's nothing complicated about it.

What you want is for Punch Out to remain the exact same game that it was in the 80's. That's fine, but I'd rather Nintendo took the time to upgrade it into something a bit more special.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JordanElek

What you want is for Punch Out to remain the exact same game that it was in the 80's. That's fine, but I'd rather Nintendo took the time to upgrade it into something a bit more special.Dingerious
Exactly. ;)

I can get a realistic boxing game elsewhere. Well, not yet, but eventually there will be a good one on the Wii. I don't want that to be Punch Out, because it's the only one of its kind. And in all honesty, I have no interest in a boxing game that mechanically emulates real boxing. The game could have the exact art style as Punch Out, but if it doesn't have the foundational elements of the game I love, then I don't want it.

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Dingerious"]What you want is for Punch Out to remain the exact same game that it was in the 80's. That's fine, but I'd rather Nintendo took the time to upgrade it into something a bit more special.JordanElek

Exactly. ;)

I can get a realistic boxing game elsewhere. Well, not yet, but eventually there will be a good one on the Wii. I don't want that to be Punch Out, because it's the only one of its kind. And in all honesty, I have no interest in a boxing game that mechanically emulates real boxing. The game could have the exact art style as Punch Out, but if it doesn't have the foundational elements of the game I love, then I don't want it.

Well, that's just...depressing. If that's true, you shouldn't own a wii.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JordanElek

Well, that's just...depressing. If that's true, you shouldn't own a wii.Dingerious
Sorry.

To clarify, it'd be an exaggeration to say I want the exact same game. Of course I don't. But using the Mario Kart example again, I enjoy the premise of the game and don't want it to be changed. Each game has been very different (read: not the same exact game), but they've all kept the feel of it.

It's the same with Punch Out. The original was great, Super Punch Out took that formula and not only updated the graphics but also added a few little touches that made it even better (the flashing gloves, best times, etc.). I expect Punch Out Wii to take similar steps that keep the basic formula but add or tweak certain aspects of it.

1:1 control fundamentally changes the premise of the game, because the premise of the game is about tells and timing. Each punch, each dodge, each block takes a certain amount of time. Every match maintains a kind of rhythm because of that. By giving complete control to the player in those aspects, that rhythm wouldn't be possible.

I think that's as clear as I can make my stance. If we still disagree, so be it. ;)

Dingerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dingerious

[QUOTE="Dingerious"]Well, that's just...depressing. If that's true, you shouldn't own a wii.JordanElek

Sorry.

To clarify, it'd be an exaggeration to say I want the exact same game. Of course I don't. But using the Mario Kart example again, I enjoy the premise of the game and don't want it to be changed. Each game has been very different (read: not the same exact game), but they've all kept the feel of it.

It's the same with Punch Out. The original was great, Super Punch Out took that formula and not only updated the graphics but also added a few little touches that made it even better (the flashing gloves, best times, etc.). I expect Punch Out Wii to take similar steps that keep the basic formula but add or tweak certain aspects of it.

1:1 control fundamentally changes the premise of the game, because the premise of the game is about tells and timing. Each punch, each dodge, each block takes a certain amount of time. Every match maintains a kind of rhythm because of that. By giving complete control to the player in those aspects, that rhythm wouldn't be possible.

I think that's as clear as I can make my stance. If we still disagree, so be it. ;)

Are you suggesting that a user who is able to throw his own punches can't, because of interface, time those punches? Or are you suggesting that a game designed around the timing of a thrown punch is impossible with motion+ controls?

Either way, i don't buy it. Seems like you've already made up your mind that a boxing game with motion+ would have inherent limitations that, ironically, are not related at all to the motion controls themselves.

Without motion+, you have a point. wiimote alone isn't accurate enough to deal with the intense timing of a Punch-Out game. But motion+? You ought to believe it.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JordanElek

Are you suggesting that a user who is able to throw his own punches can't, because of interface, time those punches?Dingerious

Looking back through your posts here, I've realized that you think Punch Out is in the boxing genre and thus has an obligation to make progression in that genre. That's the main difference here. We're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about Punch Out in terms of a puzzle game that just happens to use boxers. You're talking about a boxing game that just happens to have some puzzle elements. I want Punch Out to progress as its own unique entity, not as part of the larger boxing genre. I don't think it has anything to do with the larger genre.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JordanElek

Seems like you've already made up your mind that a boxing game with motion+ would have inherent limitations that, ironically, are not related at all to the motion controls themselves.Dingerious
Again, I don't really consider it to be a boxing game. A TRUE boxing game would be perfect with Wii Motion +, as I've already said. But Punch Out doesn't really have much in common with other boxing games.
Without motion+, you have a point. wiimote alone isn't accurate enough to deal with the intense timing of a Punch-Out game. But motion+? You ought to believe it.Dingerious
I DO think that the remote and nunchuck alone are accuate enough to deal with the timing of Punch Out. That's my whole point. All Punch Out requires is binary movements. Either you punch or you don't. It doesn't need Wii Motion +, because all that does is allow for more accurate 1:1 control, which doesn't have any place in Punch Out. In other boxing games, yes. In Punch Out, no.