Metroid Other M....

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts
After playing 2 hours of this game.. so far I have to conclude this is one of the worst metroid games I have played. My question to you is..does this game get any better?I I have played metroid prime 1-3 and all I can say is that after playing those games... I have seen why shiggy chose to use a first person perspective... Reasons why I don't like this game (so far) locations and places are forgettable.. this game is so bad...It just reminds me how amazing retro was at there level design. The controls are not that bad it takes time getting used to it but after it is managable, BUT There seems to be no atmosphere in this game.. the textures stand out so much you can see every texture .etc there just reusing bits and pieces and after a while the rooms just seem to be the same thing over and over again. The enemies are terrible, the use of a visor is terrible. I dont even know the enemies names... samus is boring and so is the whole plot. What i hate about this game the most.. the save stations are boring and uninspired, they all look the same... which is terrible because its not graphically good looking... after about 15 mins of playing this game you start noticing the graphics and it takes you out of the immersion. Also there are parts of the game where you have like a resident evil 4 close up of samus and she has to investigate the area devoid of anything interesing just bland textures and you have to walk slow so it makes it even more terrible.. wish they let you just walk faster or something. Anyways what is your feelings on this game? so far i would give this game a 6.5...
Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

You really need to play more than the first two hours. It gets a lot better, you just need to give it a little more time. Also, judging by the rest of your post, I can safely say you've never played Super Metroid.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

Could we get a sticky for this game please? I'm sick of 5 new threads popping up about it every day...:?

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zophar87

I've played super metroid(emulator) and fusion for gba... but I don't like this I guess I did not know what to expect. I admit I really got into the series when prime came out..how is it possible that a gamecube game had better graphics?? I get its supposed to be like metroid but why even add the visor then? I try playing this game but I keep running into areas where i have to use the visor and look for minuites for a clue which is really hard to find. Like wtf??? why not just give me a hint or something i had to go to a faq just cause i thought it was a bug. I will try playing but i think im gonna return this one(i rented it). ssj_neo

Metroid: Other M cannot run on a GameCube's processor, you're trying way too hard to pick out flaws. Luckily, the 'visor' areas you speak of are few and far between and shouldn't make that big of a dent in your gameplay experience. Give it more than two hours.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ssj_neo

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"]I've played super metroid(emulator) and fusion for gba... but I don't like this I guess I did not know what to expect. I admit I really got into the series when prime came out..how is it possible that a gamecube game had better graphics?? I get its supposed to be like metroid but why even add the visor then? I try playing this game but I keep running into areas where i have to use the visor and look for minuites for a clue which is really hard to find. Like wtf??? why not just give me a hint or something i had to go to a faq just cause i thought it was a bug. I will try playing but i think im gonna return this one(i rented it). Zophar87

Metroid: Other M cannot run on a GameCube's processor, you're trying way too hard to pick out flaws. Luckily, the 'visor' areas you speak of are few and far between and shouldn't make that big of a dent in your gameplay experience. Give it more than two hours.

Why couldnt this run on a gamecube? Just curious I don't see the reason. Maybe i'm talking from nostalgia but I think its just disk space.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ssj_neo
Does the controller take extra processing power? isn't wii only .5 times stronger then a gamecube?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Your main problem seems to be that your first introduction to Metroid was Metroid Prime and now you're expecting Metroid games to play like those games.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ssj_neo
yea probably.... I enjoyed the prime games more, but I havent enjoyed any of the new games I think im just loosing interest.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

You do realize that Miyamoto had nothing to do with Other M, right? Smiley-Facepalm.gif facepalm2 image by SouthernCoastie

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zophar87

That seems to be the norm. A lot of old-school Metroid fanatics are really digging this game.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ssj_neo

You do realize that Miyamoto had nothing to do with Other M, right?

TheFallenDemon
yea its pretty evident.. nintendo need to clone him asap! I'm playing this on a small tv tho so its really dark in some areas anyone else having these problems? I'm gonna go hook it up to the hdtv and see if I can brighten it up.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ssj_neo
Just a comparison.. which game had the best menu music??? I think I liked primes... and echoes menus the best. Oh does samus change suits in this game?
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

You do realize that Miyamoto had nothing to do with Other M, right?

ssj_neo

yea its pretty evident.. nintendo need to clone him asap! I'm playing this on a small tv tho so its really dark in some areas anyone else having these problems? I'm gonna go hook it up to the hdtv and see if I can brighten it up.

And I must inform you he didn't actually have anything to do with Prime. All he did was act as producer.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ssj_neo
Ok guys im at a part where theres multiple paths.. like 6 or something and you approach one and it cuts to a cutscenes and a water drops... what am i looking for i just scanned entire area???? what do i do?
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I honestly don't want Retro to do any more Metroid Games.

They were Good but I want Retro to move on to bigger and better things.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

I'm really hating it so far, gameplay wise. Storywise, I think this game is hilarious and may be up their with the original Resident Evil. Also, it is giving my friend and I motion sickness. The Gamecube Metroids did the same thing to me. Should have stuck with the 2D stuff.

Me: "This is really making me sick."

Him: "Ha, really?"

5 minutes later

Him: "Oh god this is making me sick."

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ssj_neo

I'm really hating it so far, gameplay wise. Storywise, I think this game is hilarious and may be up their with the original Resident Evil. Also, it is giving my friend and I motion sickness. The Gamecube Metroids did the same thing to me. Should have stuck with the 2D stuff.

5 minutes later

Legolas_Katarn
funny thing you said that the cutsenes reminded me of resi tooo when you enter the mansion.. sometimes this game feels more like a metal gear game (i dont know why) , It funnny when samus dies reminded me of SNAKE?! SNAKE!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEE!!!
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

5 minutes later

ssj_neo
funny thing you said that the cutsenes reminded me of resi tooo when you enter the mansion.. sometimes this game feels more like a metal gear game (i dont know why) , It funnny when samus dies reminded me of SNAKE?! SNAKE!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEE!!!

Actually I felt the same way whenever she dies, I actually yelled Samus, Samus!!! the first time it happened. One of my favorite reviewers also said the horrible story seemed like it was trying to be a lot like a Metal Gear games story.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ssj_neo
[QUOTE="ssj_neo"][QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

5 minutes later

Legolas_Katarn

Actually I felt the same way whenever she dies, I actually yelled Samus, Samus!!! the first time it happened. One of my favorite reviewers also said the horrible story seemed like it was trying to be a lot like a Metal Gear games story.

I can see that... Whenever samus has her pose like the cannon and those guys come It feels like metal gear..
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ssj_neo
Just died from the dinosaur that jumps on you in ufc position and stabs you with its tails.. is there anyway to dodge it?
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ssj_neo
what do you do when you beat the guy and then find the body and everybody is standing around it ive scanned everything..?
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

1. It's nothing like Metal Gear aside from the "Samus!!!" during the death scene.

2. The first 2 hours are by far the worst in the entire game.

3. No, it could not run on the gamecube. The graphics are significantly better than a Gamecube game.

4. Miyamoto had nothing to do with this game, only was a producer during the Prime Trilogy, and really has very little to do with the Metroid franchise. Sakamoto is Metroid's father, although he had nothing to do with the Prime Trilogy. That is why this game bares resemblance to his last 2 Metroid games, Super Metroid and Fusion.

5. There's very, very few of those stop and look around sequences.

6. Aside from an emotional Samus, the story I thought was excellent. Lot's of twists and turns, a few I actually did not see coming, and I really felt the weight of the story. Too bad Samus loses her "tough girl" image. That's the only part of it that affects the story if you ask me.

7. To answer your last post, you're looking for green gel on the ground.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

1. It's nothing like Metal Gear aside from the "Samus!!!" during the death scene.

3. No, it could not run on the gamecube. The graphics are significantly better than a Gamecube game.

4. Miyamoto had nothing to do with this game, only was a producer during the Prime Trilogy, and really has very little to do with the Metroid franchise. Sakamoto is Metroid's father, although he had nothing to do with the Prime Trilogy. That is why this game bares resemblance to his last 2 Metroid games, Super Metroid and Fusion.

6. Aside from an emotional Samus, the story I thought was excellent. Lot's of twists and turns, a few I actually did not see coming, and I really felt the weight of the story. Too bad Samus loses her "tough girl" image. That's the only part of it that affects the story if you ask me.

sonic_spark
i agree with everything you said well done
desert_deputy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 desert_deputy
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

sonic_spark

Agree with most everything, except for the emotional samus losing her tough girl image. I mean, in gameplay and action she is by far more badass than she has ever been. Did we forget that Mother Brain wasted her in Super Metroid until the baby interviened?

The emotion and depth to her character have been a part of it for ages. She didn't heartlessly blast the baby Metroid when it hatched in Metroid II. She had many of the same character traits in the manga. The Kratos-like "Just kills and doesn't care about anything" character was just imagined by players with no imagination.

Being that this story and character in Other: M was crafted by Sakamoto, the man who CREATED her in the first place, I'd say this is a better reprentation of who she is and has always been than what was imagined by us players when we were 12.

Changing your opinion on the game based on having the creators vision of the character explained is just the same as if you stopped liking the first Metroid when you found out Samus was a woman. "Awwww I thought she was a man, thats not how I imagined the character. This sucks now"

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

2 hours in? cmon.. you need to get shinespark..pimp out your screw attack...

i put in 15 hours in the game to beat 100%

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
I was pretty disappointed during the first 1-2 hours too, but the game really picks up pace after that.
kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts

You really need to play more than the first two hours. It gets a lot better, you just need to give it a little more time. Also, judging by the rest of your post, I can safely say you've never played Super Metroid.

Zophar87

I'm confused. What did he write to make you think he never played Super Metroid?

kinger256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kinger256
Member since 2005 • 1770 Posts
[QUOTE="kinger256"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Crystal-Rush

I'm confused. What did he write to make you think he never played Super Metroid?

Because he mentions in his first post that he's played prime 1,2, and 3. The TC made no mention to have played the previous 2d entries, and the rest of his post clearly shows a lack of this. Most people on these forums don't even know Metroid exists outside of the Prime series, and they probably don't even know that Metroid started out as a 2d side scroller. As far as I'm aware there are more 2d scrollers than there are First Person iterations

But how is that related to not liking Metroid Other M? TBH, I would be willing to bet that there are more people who played only the first person Metroid games, then those who didn't.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ssj_neo
got the gel... its alright so far but didn't blow me away...I was expecting more since prime was probably one of the best games (graphically) and felt more like metroid to me then this game but i will change my opinion once i finish it.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
I played up to the first two hours and had the total opposite reaction you had. XD
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts

2 hours in? cmon.. you need to get shinespark..pimp out your screw attack...

i put in 15 hours in the game to beat 100%

KBFloYd
Same here, and it was totally worth it. =)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

got the gel... its alright so far but didn't blow me away...I was expecting more since prime was probably one of the best games (graphically) and felt more like metroid to me then this game but i will change my opinion once i finish it.ssj_neo

Were you expecting more, or were you expecting Metroid Prime? What does "more" even mean?

Like I said, the game is not Metroid Prime, and if you were wanting Metroid Prime 4, then of course you're going to be disappointed, because the game was never meant to be Metroid Prime.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Agree with most everything, except for the emotional samus losing her tough girl image. I mean, in gameplay and action she is by far more badass than she has ever been. Did we forget that Mother Brain wasted her in Super Metroid until the baby interviened?

The emotion and depth to her character have been a part of it for ages. She didn't heartlessly blast the baby Metroid when it hatched in Metroid II. She had many of the same character traits in the manga. The Kratos-like "Just kills and doesn't care about anything" character was just imagined by players with no imagination.

Being that this story and character in Other: M was crafted by Sakamoto, the man who CREATED her in the first place, I'd say this is a better reprentation of who she is and has always been than what was imagined by us players when we were 12.

Changing your opinion on the game based on having the creators vision of the character explained is just the same as if you stopped liking the first Metroid when you found out Samus was a woman. "Awwww I thought she was a man, thats not how I imagined the character. This sucks now"

desert_deputy

Well said and i agree completely, i only wish most people could get past their preconceived perceptions of samus and enjoy the game and the new depth of character she now has, I'm so happy nintendo did something completely different from their norm of playing it safe.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
@kinger256 mostly because prime was done by a american team more of pointed for americans and it sold bad in japan, but the old games were made by a japanese team and sold well in japan and well in america, and other m is being done under the influence by the original team so its done more under the japanese way and anyone that never played the 2d games ether on nes, snes, or gba, wouldn't like other m because they were expecting prime type game, and the whole more people playing prime over older games i wouldn't believe that to much inless the person is under 15 and never owned a gba or used the VC service i tend to believe that is just a little group of people
Melchezdek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Melchezdek
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
what do you do when you beat the guy and then find the body and everybody is standing around it ive scanned everything..?ssj_neo
Scan the green blood on the ground, yea I know it took me 20min trying to figure that part out >.>
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Yes! Much better do not stop playing! It's fantastic.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darth-Samus

Just a comparison.. which game had the best menu music??? I think I liked primes... and echoes menus the best. Oh does samus change suits in this game?ssj_neo

Oh without question the original Prime had the best music. It has tons of modern remixes of classic tunes as well as it's own memorable music.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Darth-Samus

[QUOTE="Crystal-Rush"][QUOTE="kinger256"]

kinger256

Because he mentions in his first post that he's played prime 1,2, and 3. The TC made no mention to have played the previous 2d entries, and the rest of his post clearly shows a lack of this. Most people on these forums don't even know Metroid exists outside of the Prime series, and they probably don't even know that Metroid started out as a 2d side scroller. As far as I'm aware there are more 2d scrollers than there are First Person iterations

But how is that related to not liking Metroid Other M? TBH, I would be willing to bet that there are more people who played only the first person Metroid games, then those who didn't.

Other M is an amazing replication of Super Metroid gameplay on a 3D engine. In fact, that's the brillianceof Other M's design. Making Super Metroid type of gameplay work so wonderously in 3D. That's why she said that. Because it's true!

And you are right that nowadyas most Metroid fans have likely only played the Prime games. Which is fine. They are flawless and fantastic. But The real Metroid experience came for the 2D predecessors which is what Other M is harkening back to. So the people wh have played the Primes and not the older games yet cry fowl at Other M, are merely uneducated in the orginal Metroid formula. Which is a shame give how marvelously Other M pulls it off.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zophar87

kinger256

He didn't recognize any of the monsters.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zophar87

got the gel... its alright so far but didn't blow me away...I was expecting more since prime was probably one of the best games (graphically) and felt more like metroid to me then this game but i will change my opinion once i finish it.ssj_neo

If you're expecting it to be like Metroid Prime then you're in for disappointment. If anything Metroid: Other M feels more like a Metroid game than Metroid Prime does.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"]got the gel... its alright so far but didn't blow me away...I was expecting more since prime was probably one of the best games (graphically) and felt more like metroid to me then this game but i will change my opinion once i finish it.Zophar87

If you're expecting it to be like Metroid Prime then you're in for disappointment. If anything Metroid: Other M feels more like a Metroid game than Metroid Prime does.

yea.. when i first played prime... i was like..space pirates? 1st person view? felt like a whole new take on the metroid series to me after metroid and super metroid.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ssj_neo

[QUOTE="kinger256"]

Zophar87

He didn't recognize any of the monsters.

recognized some.. those things that fall from the ceiling or something? Am i correct.. I don't remember the names.. I'm 6 hours in..it definitely got better tho! I wish I could just skip the gameplay and watch the cut-scenes. Im at the part where you have to help anthony and you get the grabble beam.. died 6 times so far.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ssj_neo
When you beat the game.. can you watch the cut-scenes in like a menu and is there a harder difficulty?
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ssj_neo

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"]got the gel... its alright so far but didn't blow me away...I was expecting more since prime was probably one of the best games (graphically) and felt more like metroid to me then this game but i will change my opinion once i finish it.KBFloYd

yea.. when i first played prime... i was like..space pirates? 1st person view? felt like a whole new take on the metroid series to me after metroid and super metroid.

yea i played super metroid but I don't remember much of the story because I was really young... but when prime came out I was like 16 so It made more sense.. Reading the blogs and everything the series made more sense to me. It took me like a year to beat prime because it was one of those games you don't want to beat in the first play-through. I will say tho.. The first part of prime was amazing to play btw... but hated the artifact hunt near the end.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

sonic_spark

I agreed with everything but this lol... The melodrama, ridiculous dialogue, completely nonsensical situations and weird character motives etc. all seemed straight out of metal gear to me

Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

When you beat the game.. can you watch the cut-scenes in like a menussj_neo

Yes.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Two hours isn't enough. Keep playing, it gets a lot better.
Vikthorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vikthorious
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts

metroid prime series =/= original metroid series

Indeed the game gets tedious the first hours, but it gets better. The exploration is there, even though they tell you where are the items, i realized its still hard and fun to find them. You just cant get 100% completition if the game doesnt show you where are the items.

About the story, i just finished the game, it appears samus is going back to the bottle ship. And i really liked the story, its full of twists and surprises, SPECIALLY in the end, you just got to finish the game to apreciate the story.