Metroid Other M....

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts
I'm 7 hours in so far... at ridley.. died 8 times so far... any suggestions? I can only get him 50 % damage so far(my best so far) before dieing.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 ssj_neo
Btw it does get better and picks up speed.... I didn't like the running maneuver but Its grown on me? ...How far into this game am I so far? Best part of the game was when you find that chick and have to fight that machine.. forgot samus was a girl lol.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

it absolutely gets better. play for at least 2 or 3 more hours. srsly. its great.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Your main problem seems to be that your first introduction to Metroid was Metroid Prime and now you're expecting Metroid games to play like those games.

GabuEx

This, it seems like the reason for a lot of the backlash its getting is because its not Prime 4.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ssj_neo

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Your main problem seems to be that your first introduction to Metroid was Metroid Prime and now you're expecting Metroid games to play like those games.

bc1391

This, it seems like the reason for a lot of the backlash its getting is because its not Prime 4.

yea I tried finishing zero mission and I know why I don't like other M I just prefer the primes over the 2d ones. I'm facing ridley right now and this boss fight just sucks, I have four energy tanks and I still keep dieing against him. I basically keep my plasma beam charged dodge when I can then fire at the right moments when hes down I use super missile and repeat.. but dude always just catches me and it cuts to a scene where he grips me in his fist and scrapes me against the wall until I'm dead. The closest I've gotten so far is like 35% but I just can't beat this guy. I've died probably around 20 times... and I just can't beat him. Anyone got and strategies against him? So far meta ridley> over other m ridley. I think I just prefer the FP view so I can't enjoy this as much, but old school gamers probably love it. Any tips so I can beat this game!!! im 7 hours in So any tips would be appreciated. Also , Did anyone else find the grapple beam controls awkward?
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="bc1391"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

ssj_neo

yea I tried finishing zero mission and I know why I don't like other M I just prefer the primes over the 2d ones. I'm facing ridley right now and this boss fight just sucks, I have four energy tanks and I still keep dieing against him. I basically keep my plasma beam charged dodge when I can then fire at the right moments when hes down I use super missile and repeat.. but dude always just catches me and it cuts to a scene where he grips me in his fist and scrapes me against the wall until I'm dead. The closest I've gotten so far is like 35% but I just can't beat this guy. I've died probably around 20 times... and I just can't beat him. Anyone got and strategies against him? So far meta ridley> over other m ridley. I think I just prefer the FP view so I can't enjoy this as much, but old school gamers probably love it. Any tips so I can beat this game!!! im 7 hours in So any tips would be appreciated. Also , Did anyone else find the grapple beam controls awkward?

when ridley turns into a blackish color... switch to first person and use your super missles..

also when you hit him enough times he will stop and look tired... run up to him with your beam chaarged to do a death strike..takes much energy from him.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

oh you really have to give it more time than that.

im almost done the game now, ive been making slow progress cause of school, but i agree that the game seemed a little bad in the beginning, but it kept getting better and better.

there are a few issues i have with it though, and i will talk all about them once i beat it completely.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

almossbb

This is why people are complaining about this game. A truly good game shouldn't need 'a little more time' before it gets good. I agree that this game eventually gets pretty good, but being bored for two hours out of a ten hour game is asking a little too much. I don't remember saying to myself, "will this never end?" in the Primes, Super Metroid, or the Gameboy Metroids.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

You just cant get 100% completition if the game doesnt show you where are the items.Vikthorious
Not necessarily. The only other game to show you the location of EVERY hidden item is Corruption, and even that is totally optional.

All of the 2D games only give you the location of SOME of them, and those just appear as giant blips on the map to show you that there's an item in that room but not WHERE it is in that room.

Neither Metroid Prime nor Echoes give you any indication on the map of hidden items, though they have an audible clue, which is awesome.

I prefer a combination of the latter two. It would've been nice in Other M if we were given the locations of some of the items just to give us an idea of how they're hidden (like in Super Metroid), while the rest of them never appear on the map but do have an audible clue like in the Prime games. It's just too easy to go through at the end of Other M and visit all of the dots on the map. Some of them are pretty well hidden and fun to get, but the whole process could've been better, I think.

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ssj_neo

[QUOTE="ssj_neo"][QUOTE="bc1391"]This, it seems like the reason for a lot of the backlash its getting is because its not Prime 4.

KBFloYd

when ridley turns into a blackish color... switch to first person and use your super missles..

also when you hit him enough times he will stop and look tired... run up to him with your beam chaarged to do a death strike..takes much energy from him.

Thanks, gonna give it a try ;)
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

it took me a few hours to get into it, but things definitely picked up later on

fool_man_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#62 fool_man_dude
Member since 2003 • 1080 Posts

[QUOTE="almossbb"]

aransom

This is why people are complaining about this game. A truly good game shouldn't need 'a little more time' before it gets good. I agree that this game eventually gets pretty good, but being bored for two hours out of a ten hour game is asking a little too much. I don't remember saying to myself, "will this never end?" in the Primes, Super Metroid, or the Gameboy Metroids.

Excellent point.

Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
I like this Prime games, but I also like other M too. This game really is fun to play. I, personally, like the boss fights better in other M (this is one of it's strong points).
Anberlin_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Anberlin_2004
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
I'm 7 hours in so far... at ridley.. died 8 times so far... any suggestions? I can only get him 50 % damage so far(my best so far) before dieing. ssj_neo
It's hard, but not impossible. You need to keep using the plasma (hold fire, jump in the air and fire when he's flying) to weaken and stun him, but the Super Missiles are the only thing that effects him, for the most part. To use the Super Missiles: hold the wiimote up, lock-on to enemy, hold down fire until it's ready, and fire a super missile). He'll try to do rake you against the wall, but as long as you sense move like and jump, you should be ok.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Yeah for the first few hours I only thought the game was okay but now I'm 8 hours in and its a lot more enjoyable. I can understand frustration in going from the Prime games to this though. I was around during the NES era and have been a Nintendo fan since then but I had only played just the Prime games until a few months ago when I finally played Super Metroid on the VC. For a while I didn't really get what was so good about that game and felt confused about things like shine sparking but eventually once I got more powerups and learned how the game worked I thought it was great. Other M reminds me a lot of Super Metroid so it wasn't as tough of a transition. I do believe this game would have been much better though with a remote and nunchuck option.

Aurey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Aurey
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts

I really don't understand why so many people complains about this game.I't as good as the old 2D Metroidgames and a lotmore fun than Prime and it'ssequels. But anyway, to each his/her own, right?

I have a question. I've recentlybeat the final boss in hard mode (the metroid queen and MB) but for some reason it seems I can't play the extra portion of the game, when samus gets back totheBottleship to recover"something" (no spoilers here) and the extra final boss. Does somebody know if it's possible to play that part of the game in hard? Thanks.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

Metroid other M is how metroid played back on the NES and SNES only not in 3D. It seems to me that you as well as some reviewers wanted the game to be Metroid Prime 4. All the negatives surrounding this game seem to be very nitpicky. No one actually gives a solid criticism of the game. Some people have said the story was crap while others have said it was good. Others have said the graphics were some textures were bad while others say the graphics were awesome. Other stated that there was no replay value and yet some people say that the game is worth replaying. If there are multiple people on both sides of the fence, it seems to me that the negatives of the game are not that bad.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JordanElek

Metroid other M is how metroid played back on the NES and SNES only not in 3D. It seems to me that you as well as some reviewers wanted the game to be Metroid Prime 4. All the negatives surrounding this game seem to be very nitpicky. No one actually gives a solid criticism of the game. Some people have said the story was crap while others have said it was good. Others have said the graphics were some textures were bad while others say the graphics were awesome. Other stated that there was no replay value and yet some people say that the game is worth replaying. If there are multiple people on both sides of the fence, it seems to me that the negatives of the game are not that bad.

gamenerd15

One solid criticism is the lack of any real exploration. Every 2D Metroid game has multiple paths and substantial hidden areas on the map, while the 3D Prime games have multiple paths but no hidden areas on the map. Other M basically has neither. Every game before Other M has a maze-like map (with Prime 3 having the weakest), but Other M's is very straightforward, much more so than even Prime 3.

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#69 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

not knocking TC specifically, so dont take personal offense

but no wonder Nintendo held off on re-creating a new Metroid classic style game. they probably expected a large portion of people to claim its crap, no matter how great or similar it would have been to Super Metroid. Other M isnt without flaws, thats for sure...but i cant honestly understand how true Metroid fans (not people claiming to be just for argument sake) cant appreciate it. Sure, you may not like the story or depiction of Samus on a personal level...but the game is closer than any of us could've expected. Thats what i believe anyhow. I had expectations that the game wouldnt be good, i was thoroughly impressed.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I think Other M is great. The fact that they much such a great, well-controlled action/adventure game with the WII-MOTE (and no nunchuck) is really impressive.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

JordanElek

One solid criticism is the lack of any real exploration. Every 2D Metroid game has multiple paths and substantial hidden areas on the map, while the 3D Prime games have multiple paths but no hidden areas on the map. Other M basically has neither. Every game before Other M has a maze-like map (with Prime 3 having the weakest), but Other M's is very straightforward, much more so than even Prime 3.

Metroid Fusion was also very linear and it also was story driven. Metroid prime hunters was also pretty straightforward as well. Your point is somewhat agreeable, but, this isn't the first time metroid has been rather linear.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

Metroid Fusion was also very linear and it also was story driven. Metroid prime hunters was also pretty straightforward as well. Your point is somewhat agreeable, but, this isn't the first time metroid has been rather linear.

I don't mean that it's linear (though it is.... but ALL Metroid games are linear in a sense). I mean there's absolutely nothing outside of the main map. In Fusion, there are huge portions of the map that you don't get from the original navigation room download. Some of them are just secret areas that you wouldn't even need to find if you were just going through the story, and others are REQUIRED to find in order to progress in the game. Other M has absolutely none of those.

To be fair, none of the Prime games have any secret areas on the map either, but those at least have multiple paths and feel like a maze. Like I said before, Other M has neither of those qualities, which really takes away from the fun of the Metroid formula (for me at least.... I know some people would rather have it be straight-forward).

mardfet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mardfet
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I got this game a week or two ago, and I'm about 3-4 hours in. I have to say I'm not impressed. The tedious gameplay, frustrating labyrinth design, and the HORRENDOUS graphics make this game nowhere NEAR $50.
medic36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 medic36
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts
Since I cringed and laughed with everything this game tried to pass on to the player as "AWESOME GAMEPLAY, DRAMATIC MATURE STORYLINE"+ unskippable cutscenes+too much like anime but in 3d, I judge this game as the worst ever metroid game.
medic36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 medic36
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I think Other M is great. The fact that they much such a great, well-controlled action/adventure game with the WII-MOTE (and no nunchuck) is really impressive.

DJ-Lafleur
You're kidding right? The controls were totally awkwad and lacked depth
Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

I thought Other M was an excellent game. I had a great time playing it.

The only parts that I found a little annoying were those first person parts where you had no idea what to look for. I usually figured out what I was supposed to find after a couple of minutes, though, so they weren't that bad.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

medic36

You're kidding right? The controls were totally awkwad and lacked depth

The controls were fine and worked well IMO, and what he meant was that it was impressive for them to get that many actions that worked well with such a minimalistic control scheme.