Mario Kart 7: No Single Player Vs. Mode

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

So apparently, it looks like there won't be a Vs. Mode available for single player in Mario Kart 7. http://mariokart7.nintendo.com/modes/

THERE IS STILL THE REGULAR GRAND PRIX, TIME TRIALS, BATTLE MODE and MULTIPLAYER (local & online).

If you check out the link, there is a Vs. Mode available for multiplayer only. The version showed off at the LA Auto Show recently was supposedly the final version of the game and there was no sign of Vs. Mode (single player) either. Reports from people who have the game also say that there is no longer such a feature.

--

Vs. Mode has been a feature included in the last two Mario Kart releases. It let you choose the engine class, CPU difficulty, number of races you wanted to do and how tracks were selected (choose, random) and other settings. In Mario Kart DS, this was an option for single-player only. In MKWii, this was basically the mode where you play local multiplayer although you still had the option of playing by yourself against 7 CPUs.

Now, some of you here are probably thinking: "Oh well, I didn't even use/care for Vs. Mode, besides we've got the improved online."

Hopefully, there's also some of you that are like me and really disappointed that they excluded this feature. I actually didn't play much of MKDS' online so Vs. Mode was my most played mode in that game. After I had 3 star's all the Grand Prix's and got tired of Time Trials, Vs. Mode was the mode that I kept going back to. It was great for playing in short bursts where you could just freely select some of your favorite courses to play on. Another fun thing I liked doing was setting the number of races to 32 and doing an "All-Cup Tour" of every single track in the game.

Looks like that won't be happening with Mario Kart 7. There's no option to pick tracks in Grand Prix or anything like that either. I know they've really improved the online and i'm really looking forward to that but Vs. Mode would've been great for when you don't have access to wifi. Considering this game is on a portable system, it would've made even less sense that it was removed.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

My hype for this game just went down alot. I have love Vs mode alot and mostly use it for SP so not being able to play SP in that mode is a huge letdown and also stupid.

Edit: Are you really sure about that? Becasue that site doesn't really say that there is no SP. Maybe they wanted to promote the MP part? And wasn't the version at the LA auto show just a demo? I don't know... But oh man I going to be piss if it true.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I was not getting Mario Kart 7 anyway, so I don't care (I already have Mario Kart Wii). Too bad though for the people who played on this game mode.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Ha wow, I most likely won't be buying this now, my only interest was in that vs mode, I'm not a fan of playing it online so much.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moltenix

My hype for this game just went down alot. I have love Vs mode alot and mostly use it for SP so not being able to play SP in that mode is a huge letdown and also stupid.

Edit: Are you really sure about that? Becasue that site doesn't really say that there is no SP. Maybe they wanted to promote the MP part? And wasn't the version at the LA auto show just a demo? I don't know... But oh man I going to be piss if it true.

Wanderer5

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-629-1321996131-mario-kart-7-unlockables-characters-and-car-parts.html Here's someone with the game from Gamexplain; note some of the replies he's made in the comments regarding if there's a vs. mode.

There is a Vs. Mode in the Multiplayer section of the game that lets you race locally with up to 7 other friends but it doesn't let you race alone. Supposedly, it's set up so that you're stuck in a waiting room until at least one other person joins. So technically, if you have a friend or sibling with a 3DS, you can kinda play Vs. Mode but I don't think we can do it alone like in MKDS.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wanderer5

http://www.gamexplain.com/article-629-1321996131-mario-kart-7-unlockables-characters-and-car-parts.html Here's someone with the game from Gamexplain; note some of the replies he's made in the comments regarding if there's a vs. mode.

There is a Vs. Mode in the Multiplayer section of the game that lets you race locally with up to 7 other friends but it doesn't let you race alone. Supposedly, it's set up so that you're stuck in a waiting room until at least one other person joins. So technically, if you have a friend or sibling with a 3DS, you can kinda play Vs. Mode but I don't think we can do it alone like in MKDS.

moltenix

Well **** you Nintendo if that the case. Now I not sure if I want this now. I love the online MP stuff but SP Vs is just as important to me and would have been great to do some quick races between clas.ses and such. How stupid of Nintendo to do this.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moltenix

I know how you feel. As much as I love Nintendo's games, you can't help but question what the heck they're thinking sometimes.

In that link above, he does mention some kind of unlockable (which he can't mention till release) when you get at least 1 star on every cup. Doubt it Versus mode though.

What makes me really sad is that I absolutely love the tracks in this game (both new and retro). Heck, the only reason i'm disappointed is that I won't be able to choose the tracks I want to race in. Even a 'track select' in Grand Prix after you've beaten all the cups would've been fine with me. The game is out next week so we'll know for sure but i'm not getting my hopes up.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I think we should wait until the game is actually out. There is no point in getting worked up without all the information.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Wait, so is vs Mode basically competing against computers?
KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

I never played this mode before. Heck, I didn't even know it existed, so its absence won't affect me at all.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 moltenix

Wait, so is vs Mode basically competing against computers?hydralisk86

Are you familiar with previous Mario Kart games by any chance?

There is the Grand Prix mode where there's 8 cups to race in (each with 4 races). You race against the CPU in Grand Prix where each of the 4 races in a cup are ordered, you race through the same order of races each time. This is the mode where you usually unlock things like new characters. Kinda like the "campaign mode" in other types of games.

In previous games, there was also a Vs. Mode for single player where you also race against the CPU. But here, you have the option of picking settings like the number of races you want to do, and the option to choose any of the tracks or have the tracks be chosen randomly. Apparently in the new Mario Kart 7, they aren't including this mode anymore.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TankZorz

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Wait, so is vs Mode basically competing against computers?moltenix

There is the Grand Prix mode where there's 8 cups to race in (each with 4 races). You race against the CPU in Grand Prix where each of the 4 races in a cup are ordered, you race through the same order of races each time. This is the mode where you usually unlock things like new characters. Kinda like the "campaign mode" in other types of games.

In previous games, there was also a Vs. Mode for single player where you also race against the CPU. But here, you have the option of picking settings like the number of races you want to do, and the option to choose any of the tracks or have the tracks be chosen randomly. Apparently in the new Mario Kart 7, they aren't including this mode anymore.

It was only in a few of the previous games.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 moltenix

[QUOTE="moltenix"]

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]Wait, so is vs Mode basically competing against computers?TankZorz

It was only in a few of the previous games.

Well, the two recent one's at least. Still don't see why they would remove it now though.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wanderer5

Well, the two recent one's at least. Still don't see why they would remove it now though.

moltenix

There was also quick run in the GBA one which was pretty much a more simple Vs.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
can i still battle single player? yes? then i'm fine.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I'm thinking I would have been spending more time doing online matches anyways, so i'll still get this game.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wanderer5

Blah I probably still get it so I can do some online MP stuff on my 3DS and it pretty much the only 3DS game now and in the horizon that has online MP thatlooks good and fun to me. It just that there going to be a big hole of disappointment, but hey if the rest of the game is top notch then I probably still like it alot.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

It's very strange to not include this... It doesn't bother me very much though.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I never even knew you could do that so idc

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

That's a shame, I like playing by myself at times, but it's probably Nintendo's way of getting more people toplaying online.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Why take it out on the portable version!? Super Circuit had the quick run and then Double Dash took it out because it was a console version (so I thought). They put it back in MKDS, kept it in MKW, and then removed it in the game we need vs mode the most. I think Nintendo thinks that anyone who has a 3DS is going always going to be close to someone else with a 3DS.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I never used Vs. Mode before.
KiD_ReMiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KiD_ReMiX
Member since 2011 • 254 Posts

Why take it out on the portable version!? Super Circuit had the quick run and then Double Dash took it out because it was a console version (so I thought). They put it back in MKDS, kept it in MKW, and then removed it in the game we need vs mode the most. I think Nintendo thinks that anyone who has a 3DS is going always going to be close to someone else with a 3DS.ZumaJones07

Or they just assumed that most people are going to go online for vs matches. This thread actually inspired me to get out mkds and play around with the vs mode and I really don't see what's the big deal about it missing. It's not as fun as playing against human players online. I could see if you want to use it offline as practice, but the cpu's are easy to beat even on hard mode, so there's no challenge to it. On the other hand, human players are always getting better and better and playing against them only sharpens your skills. But that's just my own opinion. I can see from the thread there are many people upset about vs mode possibly being excluded from MK7, so they obviously have a different perspective from mine, which I respect.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
If the 3DS had 3G then this wouldn't be an issue.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Edit: Are you really sure about that? Becasue that site doesn't really say that there is no SP. Maybe they wanted to promote the MP part? And wasn't the version at the LA auto show just a demo? I don't know... But oh man I going to bemad if its true.Wanderer5

I mainly play using that mode. If its not in there, I won't be happy.

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TankZorz
IF this really is true I'll go back to what I did before MKDS: GRAND PRIX FOR HOURS!
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
We'll have to wait for the game to come but honestly I would never play mario kart by myself, why would you face computers when you can go online, or go in grand prix. It's not that big of a deal, I never played mario kart vs. computers except grand prix.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 moltenix

Looks like there really isn't any form of single player Vs. Mode.

Oh well, i'm still gonna have lots of fun with the game. I still think it was a stupid decision not to include it though.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I know how you feel. As much as I love Nintendo's games, you can't help but question what the heck they're thinking sometimes.

In that link above, he does mention some kind of unlockable (which he can't mention till release) when you get at least 1 star on every cup. Doubt it Versus mode though.

What makes me really sad is that I absolutely love the tracks in this game (both new and retro). Heck, the only reason i'm disappointed is that I won't be able to choose the tracks I want to race in. Even a 'track select' in Grand Prix after you've beaten all the cups would've been fine with me. The game is out next week so we'll know for sure but i'm not getting my hopes up.

moltenix

Question: Take out a mode that a smal amount of people bought the game for in order to distribute resources to other areas of the game.

I'd say its a win. I would've liked this mode, but its no deal breaker for me.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#30 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

It's clear that multiplayer is the reason to buy MK7. I don't care about Vs. mode, but I was bummed to learn that they took away the mission mode. That was good times. :(

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Very strange, but it doesnt bother me. I play MK for the MP. Heck, I cannot think of anytime I picked up a mario kart game to play singleplayer without wanting to unlock something or set a ghost. But I can see why some would be a bit frustrated with this.

ChibiXRiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChibiXRiku
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts
Let me go to japan and find 6 people to play multiplayer with at all times of the day then.
Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Having played online for about an hour so far. I have to say i'm not missing it at all. the online is remarkably well done for a handheld.. let alone a Nintendo game..
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#34 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I think that it maybe needs a bit extra in Single Player.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
What is VS single mode?
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TankZorz
What is VS single mode?ShuichiChamp24
It let you pick the track, difficulty, whether or not there were teams and maybe a couple other things and play against comps. Nothing spectacular though. It was nice but I'll just play Grand Prix like I did before there was a versus mode.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I never played the vs mode, anyways. Always would just sit down and go through a cup and see if I could beat all my times in one sitting.

daiyume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 daiyume
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, couldn't you just go on multi-player to choose VS, select all slots to be filled by CPUs instead of players and it'd get the same result anyway? I think Mario Kart DS had options for LAN multi-player and Wi-Fi multi-player and you'd be able to do that on LAN without having to go online. If MK7 is the same, it shouldn't be an issue.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 moltenix

If I'm not mistaken, couldn't you just go on multi-player to choose VS, select all slots to be filled by CPUs instead of players and it'd get the same result anyway? I think Mario Kart DS had options for LAN multi-player and Wi-Fi multi-player and you'd be able to do that on LAN without having to go online. If MK7 is the same, it shouldn't be an issue.

daiyume

From what i've heard, you have to wait in a lobby until at least one other person joins. There isn't an option to add CPUs in place of other players if you're by yourself.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I never played this mode before. Heck, I didn't even know it existed, so its absence won't affect me at all.

KiD_ReMiX
Same here :P
My3DS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 My3DS
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I played mariokart 7 for about 45 minutes online and my battery was due for a charge, however it was great online racing.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Um, ok??? This was a weird move if true.
FrankFontaine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 FrankFontaine1
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Seems kinda like a step back for Mario Kart.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
Yeah this sucks. I used to use vs for practice on a particular stage but I guess I have to use time trial mode now
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts
I thought I was just being dumb and couldn't find this option in the menu. It's actually pretty disappointing for me. I don't see why they removed it either. What if you want to pick it up and play one quick game on the road and don't have any WiFi? I would use this feature all the time on Super Circuit to practice tracks and just play my favorite ones.
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
It's not a major loss in my opinion. While I like the idea of picking out individual tracks to race on, it's not like I can't still race on them using the traditional cup method.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I didn't realize that VS. mode was such a big thing until so many people started complaining about it. Honestly, I have much larger issues with Mario Kart 7 that make it frustrating. The lack of VS. mode is the least of my worries.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts
Makes no difference to me. I didn't realize that VS. mode was such a big thing until so many people started complaining about it. Honestly, I have much larger issues with Mario Kart 7 that make it frustrating. The lack of VS. mode is the least of my worries.MarioFan264
What are your issues? I'm just curious, not trying to be rude.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Wanderer5

Well I still got the game anyway and still enjoy it, but the lack of Vs still stings me a bit. Well at least Battle mode can be fun, even through I still don't like Balloon mode as much as before MKWii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Well I still got the game anyway and still enjoy it, but the lack of Vs still stings me a bit. Well at least Battle mode can be fun, even through I still don't like Balloon mode as much as before MKWii.

Wanderer5
Havn't really noticed it missing to be honest. maybe because I still have to beat the cups in Grand Prix and always enjoyed Time Trial ghosts anyways. now I have an unlimited supply.