Mario Kart 7: No Single Player Vs. Mode

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

guitarman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 guitarman89
Member since 2007 • 1485 Posts

The lack of vs. mode is extremely frustrating. I don't like having to play a whole cup just to play one of my favorite levels. Don't understand why they wouldn't include vs. mode in the game...it doesn't make any sense. Yeah I guess time trials are ok, but I'd much rather just play vs. mode. MKDS got it right with the vs. mode. Not sure why they tried fixing what wasn't broken in this one. That being said, it's still a good game. Just missing my favorite mode and there's really no excuse for it.

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#52 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I bought the game solely for online racing. However, it's a shame that they removed the single player vs. mode.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I don't get what you guys are crying about you could just play time trial mode, and if you want competition just choose a ghost or better yet 7 ghosts.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

I don't get what you guys are crying about you could just play time trial mode, and if you want competition just choose a ghost or better yet 7 ghosts.

Jolt_counter119

Because that's exactly the same as playing against bots. :|

You can't use items in time trial. You know.. the thing that makes Mario Kart Mario Kart. I know exactly what people are crying about. This mode would take zero effort for Nintendo to put in, yet they didn't.

I'm beginning to think they always remove something for their next installments to hold our interests for their next game, making us hope that the stuff they removed will come back. It's evil, annoying and stupid, but hey. Business is business.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]Makes no difference to me. I didn't realize that VS. mode was such a big thing until so many people started complaining about it. Honestly, I have much larger issues with Mario Kart 7 that make it frustrating. The lack of VS. mode is the least of my worries.RACiEP
What are your issues? I'm just curious, not trying to be rude.

The coin unlocking system (which has kept me from the one kart I wanted) combined with the terrible item balancing, combined with Blue Shells and Lightning Bolts taking away coins that I have collected.

I now have to get 200 coins to get unlocks and I just got too frustrated with it. It's just a task because the game is so unbalanced and those items can not be avoided and usually show up right before the finish line so I don't have any chance to collect anymore coins to replace those I lost.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's a silly omission really. Why not just leave it there? For example, I simply can't go play Rainbow Road against bots now. I have to go through the first 3 levels. I can't pick and choose, which is such an easy thing to leave in. Oh well.

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

[QUOTE="RACiEP"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]Makes no difference to me. I didn't realize that VS. mode was such a big thing until so many people started complaining about it. Honestly, I have much larger issues with Mario Kart 7 that make it frustrating. The lack of VS. mode is the least of my worries.MarioFan264

What are your issues? I'm just curious, not trying to be rude.

The coin unlocking system (which has kept me from the one kart I wanted) combined with the terrible item balancing, combined with Blue Shells and Lightning Bolts taking away coins that I have collected.

I now have to get 200 coins to get unlocks and I just got too frustrated with it. It's just a task because the game is so unbalanced and those items can not be avoided and usually show up right before the finish line so I don't have any chance to collect anymore coins to replace those I lost.

In my opinion it sounds like your problem is with patience rather than losing coins. Those coins can really affect a race so you really need to be able to lose them, as well as gain them. I also think the weapon balancing is a little better than in previous entries. Being able to get a Mushroom or red shell in first place is something i'd not experienced too often, if at all, in previous games. The blue shell also stops somebody racing away into the distance, which isn't fair considering they only have to worry about the player behind them, wheras everybody else has to balance attacking and defending at the same time.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts
In my opinion it sounds like your problem is with patience rather than losing coins. Those coins can really affect a race so you really need to be able to lose them, as well as gain them. I also think the weapon balancing is a little better than in previous entries. Being able to get a Mushroom or red shell in first place is something i'd not experienced too often, if at all, in previous games. The blue shell also stops somebody racing away into the distance, which isn't fair considering they only have to worry about the player behind them, wheras everybody else has to balance attacking and defending at the same time.Raiko101
I dunno. I kind of understand MarioFan264's frustration. In order to unlock every kart part, you need to get 5,000 coins. Considering you can only earn 10 each race if you manage to keep them until the end, it takes a LONG time!
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
That sucks. I usually pass time playing vs mode in MK:DS.
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
[QUOTE="Raiko101"]In my opinion it sounds like your problem is with patience rather than losing coins. Those coins can really affect a race so you really need to be able to lose them, as well as gain them. I also think the weapon balancing is a little better than in previous entries. Being able to get a Mushroom or red shell in first place is something i'd not experienced too often, if at all, in previous games. The blue shell also stops somebody racing away into the distance, which isn't fair considering they only have to worry about the player behind them, wheras everybody else has to balance attacking and defending at the same time.RACiEP
I dunno. I kind of understand MarioFan264's frustration. In order to unlock every kart part, you need to get 5,000 coins. Considering you can only earn 10 each race if you manage to keep them until the end, it takes a LONG time!

I understand. It does take a long time, but consider how long you'll be playing the game if you're able to play online. That and you're not really missing out on much if you never unlock everything.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="RACiEP"][QUOTE="Raiko101"]In my opinion it sounds like your problem is with patience rather than losing coins. Those coins can really affect a race so you really need to be able to lose them, as well as gain them. I also think the weapon balancing is a little better than in previous entries. Being able to get a Mushroom or red shell in first place is something i'd not experienced too often, if at all, in previous games. The blue shell also stops somebody racing away into the distance, which isn't fair considering they only have to worry about the player behind them, wheras everybody else has to balance attacking and defending at the same time.Raiko101

I understand. It does take a long time, but consider how long you'll be playing the game if you're able to play online. That and you're not really missing out on much if you never unlock everything.

I don't have online, and the only kart I ever wanted to unlock I don't have yet... at 1100 coins.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

@Raiko101

Yeah I suppose you're right. It isn't a huge issue for me. IMO, the bigger problem is the lack of single player VS. mode. Perhaps they couldn't fit it on the game card. Who knows.

Anyway...neither of the problems mentioned in the thread seem to be a big hindrance in the game. It's still a fantastic and enjoyable game to play.

Kirbside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Kirbside
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

[QUOTE="Raiko101"][QUOTE="RACiEP"] I dunno. I kind of understand MarioFan264's frustration. In order to unlock every kart part, you need to get 5,000 coins. Considering you can only earn 10 each race if you manage to keep them until the end, it takes a LONG time!MarioFan264

I don't have online, and the only kart I ever wanted to unlock I don't have yet... at 1100 coins.

Um according to the guide all the kart parts except for "Gold parts" are Random, meaning at 1100 coins you will likely not get the kart i think your thinking of. Now I know you don't have Online, but they did add a feature that if you beat a player, you will also gain a car parts. I hope this helps you as well as anyone else.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MarioFan264

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="Raiko101"] I understand. It does take a long time, but consider how long you'll be playing the game if you're able to play online. That and you're not really missing out on much if you never unlock everything. Kirbside

Um according to the guide all the kart parts except for "Gold parts" are Random, meaning at 1100 coins you will likely not get the kart i think your thinking of. Now I know you don't have Online, but they did add a feature that if you beat a player, you will also gain a car parts. I hope this helps you as well as anyone else.

The kart I want is the Pipe Frame, because I'd like to race with the classic looking kart.

Kirbside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Kirbside
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts

Yes I have the Pipe Frame but I don't have 1100 coins last I had was 900, so you see the parts are random.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MarioFan264

Yes I have the Pipe Frame but I don't have 1100 coins last I had was 900, so you see the parts are random.

Kirbside

I'm well aware of the fact that they are random.

That's what makes it even worse - I've gotten screwed over by luck and there's nothing I can do about it except race a million races.

MasterTrueFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MasterTrueFan
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Mario Kart DS changed versus mode when you could choose to play up to 32 races with teams in single player versus mode. The Wii had this same feature except you could only play any number of races between 1 and 32. Mario Kart 7 doesn't have a versus mode like the last 2. There's only multiplayer versus mode and you can only play 4 races per contest no more no less. Can Nintendo get anything right?

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#69 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

This is still something that is insanely confusing to me. There's really no reason to leave it out, and for people like me who don't use online often or don't normally have access to it, it really ruins the game's replay value.