I got massacred for claiming SSBB will be wiimoted, but consider this:

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

I started a thread pointing at the fact that the official Smash Bros. Brawl website featured a Wiimote next to "How to play". It managed to get locked, as people quickly riotted for no reason.

Now, seriously:

Against my theory, there were claims like "Duh, it's a Wii game" or "Did you expect a GC controller?!".

Consider this:

This is a hyping site. Every day or so, a new character, item or stage is revealed, to get us excited. This site started an year after any comment about SSBB controls was made, and features a "How to play" in the hyping list as well. If the game was built around and only around traditional controllers, why put a "How to play" there? We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros. Moreover, it's a "How to play" next to a Wiimote. They'll be updating it just as they're updating characters, stages, music and items. Do you expect the updates will only feature the GC and/or traditional controller while there's a damn Wiimote just next?!

Every item in the list is getting something new, why wouldn't "How to play" get something new as well?

As I view it, anyone who claims it's all just coincidence or the site webmaster's mistake (WTF?) is in serious denial. The possibility is by now just too high to be so much ignored.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
I hope you're right.  I hope that the Wiimote + Nunchuck is the ONLY way to play the game actually.  Only delusional sheep hope it's controlled by the Classic Controller or Cube Controller.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
I too want a Wiimote/Nunchuck config.
Jinki3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jinki3s
Member since 2007 • 401 Posts

The "How to Play" section probably talks about the basics of the game for those who are new to it. The site wasn't created just for the veteran players who want to learn new things. It's for everyone, including the newbies. And what kind of symbol do you expect them to use for a "How to Play"  section? A controller is the only thing that makes sense. The fact that they put a Wiimote only makes it certain that it'll be ONE of the controller options. That doesn't mean you can't use a gamecube controller or a classic contoller. Some guy from Nintendo said once that the "Wiimote doesn't fit Smash's gameplay", but they have to include the option for people who don't want to purchase a gamecube controller (or possible a classic controller.) Plus, it's not to hard to make it compatible with multiple controllers.

Anyway, my fairly certain we'll get the option to choose between a wiimote and a gamecube controller, and possibly even a classic controller.

token08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 token08
Member since 2004 • 787 Posts
I don't know what it will use, but I doubt it will use the classic controller.  If people had to buy the game and 4 more controllers to play, it would sell a whole lot less.  As for the gamecube controller, a lot of people already have them.  Perhaps it will work with both the Wii remote and gamecube controller.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts

I started a thread pointing at the fact that the official Smash Bros. Brawl websitefeatured a Wiimote next to "How to play". It managed to get locked, as people quickly riotted for no reason.

Now, seriously:

Against my theory, there were claims like "Duh, it's a Wii game" or "Did you expect a GC controller?!".

Consider this:

This is a hyping site. Everyday or so, a new character, item or stage is revealed, to get us excited. This site started an year after any comment about SSBB controls was made, and features a "How to play" in the hyping list as well. If the game was built around and onlyaround traditional controllers, why put a "How to play" there? We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros. Moreover, it's a "How to play" next to a Wiimote. They'll be updating it just as they're updating characters, stages, music and items. Do you expect the updates will only feature the GC and/or traditional controllers while there's a damn Wiimote just next?!

Every item in the list is getting something new, why wouldn't "How to play" get something new as well?

As I view it, anyone who claims it's all just coincidence or the site webmaster's mistake (WTF?) is in serious denial. The possibility is by now just too high to be so much ignored.

Wintry_Flutist

I agree, and hope that they have at least an option to use the Wiimote.  I'd really like to see how it fits with the Wiimote.  However, I have to point this out:

While the website is updating every weekday to get us hyped about the game, it will also be for people who don't know how to play the game, and therefore, if they had the same controls as the last game, it could be for the people who never played before and want to know everything they can before buying it.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wintry_Flutist

The "How to Play" section probably talks about the basics of the game for those who are new to it. The site wasn't created just for the veteran players who want to learn new things. It's for everyone, including the newbies. And what kind of symbol do you expect them to use for a "How to Play"  section? A controller is the only thing that makes sense. The fact that they put a Wiimote only makes it certain that it'll be ONE of the controller options. That doesn't mean you can't use a gamecube controller or a classic contoller. Some guy from Nintendo said once that the "Wiimote doesn't fit Smash's gameplay", but they have to include the option for people who don't want to purchase a gamecube controller (or possible a classic controller.) Plus, it's not to hard to make it compatible with multiple controllers.

Anyway, my fairly certain we'll get the option to choose between a wiimote and a gamecube controller, and possibly even a classic controller.

Jinki3s

Just for your information, many people still believe the Wiimote won't even be supported.

And if there's controllers options, the GC controller will be the "or" configuration, not the Wiimote - simply because the Wiimote/Nunchuk is the controller every Wii owner has.

mattyftm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattyftm
Member since 2005 • 7306 Posts
I hope they decide to use the wiimote. It could easily work, and gameplay wont be affected, as long as they keep motion sensing to a minimum.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

You have a point there. I think its going to have multiple control schemes, like many other fighters for the Wii.

GC controller/ClassicController/Wiimote/Nunchuck. 

Evzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evzy
Member since 2006 • 289 Posts
I hope they have multiple control schemes because i want to with a wiimote/nunchuck config but if that sux then i hope they will at least give us the choice to use a gc pad.
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

I dunno, I mean sure we can say the Wiimote will be used, but how?

I personally hope motion-sensing wont be a big thing....maybe you could use the nunchuk to dodge and jump....but yeah, they shouldn't use tooo much motion sensing

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wintry_Flutist

weazur

You don't really think it's that hard to come up with an idea, do you?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 helium_flash

My idea for how SSBB should be controlled:

Jump - A

Regular Attack - B

Special Attack - 1

Shield - Z

Grab - C

Pause - '+','-', or 2 

Taunt - '+','-', or 2

This is much better than the "A is regular attack, B is special attack" scheme that many other talk about. 

Leopold_Stotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Leopold_Stotch
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

Gameplay won't be affected much by use of the wiimote?

The wiimote lacks the pressure sensitive L/R buttons and the C-stick which are both very important to gameplay unless you do not know how to play the game.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wintry_Flutist

Gameplay won't be affected much by use of the wiimote?

The wiimote lacks the pressure sensitive L/R buttons and the C-stick which are both very important to gameplay unless you do not know how to play the game.

Leopold_Stotch

C'mon, be serious. The melee attacks can't be perfectly performed with Wiimote gestures in the four directions, and the analog shoulder buttons won't be missed: you could always use the Z button in Melee for the shield.

the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

Jump - A

Regular Attack - B

Special Attack - 1

Shield - Z

Grab - C

Pause - '+','-', or 2 

Taunt - '+','-', or 2

This is much better than the "A is regular attack, B is special attack" scheme that many other talk about. 

helium_flash

You honestly expect people to reach down and press 1 like that? Seriously?

Leopold_Stotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Leopold_Stotch

do you use advanced techs and really know how to play the game?
if you do then you will understand that they will mess things up

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

I hope you're right. I hope that the Wiimote + Nunchuck is the ONLY way to play the game actually. Only delusional sheep hope it's controlled by the Classic Controller or Cube Controller.helium_flash

No doubt here. I hope it is. It can be done. May be a bit tough. but i think it could work.. dun ask me how ! lol. 

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
masscared? LOL you really think they went that far? :? anyway, the developers themselves didn't deny the possibility of the Wiimote, so yeah i'm supporter of your theory :D
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="weazur"]

Wintry_Flutist

You don't really think it's that hard to come up with an idea, do you?

afterall, SSX (game filled with button mashing in the old days) worked really, REALLY REALLY REALLY well (my third favorite Wii title actually).
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Duckman5
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Jump - A

Regular Attack - B

Special Attack - 1

Shield - Z

Grab - C

Pause - '+','-', or 2 

Taunt - '+','-', or 2

the_leet_kid

Yeah thats horrible. I don't see whats so wrong with having the B button do special attacks.
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 helium_flash

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]I hope you're right. I hope that the Wiimote + Nunchuck is the ONLY way to play the game actually. Only delusional sheep hope it's controlled by the Classic Controller or Cube Controller.Virus214

No doubt here. I hope it is. It can be done. May be a bit tough. but i think it could work.. dun ask me how ! lol.

I just wrote a blog on how it could be controlled.  EVERYONE READ IT! 

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendo-4life
[QUOTE="the_leet_kid"][QUOTE="helium_flash"]

Jump - A

Regular Attack - B

Special Attack - 1

Shield - Z

Grab - C

Pause - '+','-', or 2 

Taunt - '+','-', or 2

Duckman5

Yeah thats horrible. I don't see whats so wrong with having the B button do special attacks.

and i'm not sure why he didn't put any motion sensing attacks :?
starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
anyone think about the classic controller?they didnt make it just for vc games....im pretty sure they will use it
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts
Well, its confermed theres no motion sensing in the main game, it was on IGN awhile ago. So what I think, and you can call me a noob because I really dont know what im talking about, but if it doesnt use the Wii-mote, couldnt it use the Classic Controller, and the Wii-mote. I mean doesnt the Classic Controller hook up to the wii-mote? So mabye you could use the Wii mote to select stuff, and the Classic Controller to play?
Ire-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ire-7
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts
i really dont care i personally think it will be a great game either way
darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

i really dont care i personally think it will be a great game either wayIre-7

I agree with you.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Anything that doesn't at least support Wii controls should just be released as a Gamecube game. There would be no point in its existence on Wii otherwise.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
i want to use the sixaxis to play it... jk, why dont ya'll let the hype machine for SSBB cool down, it doesn't even have a confirmed release yet! and let the gameplay be a surprise maybe?
jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts
It would be cool to be able to chose between playing with the Wii-mote or with the GC controler.
Exxelerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Exxelerator
Member since 2005 • 826 Posts
Smash is not going to use ONLY the wiimote thats just impossible, im sure its gonna use the wiimote with the nunchuck.
1upMushroomX6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 1upMushroomX6
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

I started a thread pointing at the fact that the official Smash Bros. Brawl website featured a Wiimote next to "How to play". It managed to get locked, as people quickly riotted for no reason.

Now, seriously:

Consider this:

This is a hyping site. Every day or so, a new character, item or stage is revealed, to get us excited. This site started an year after any comment about SSBB controls was made, and features a "How to play" in the hyping list as well. If the game was built around and only around traditional controllers, why put a "How to play" there? We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros. Moreover, it's a "How to play" next to a Wiimote. They'll be updating it just as they're updating characters, stages, music and items. Do you expect the updates will only feature the GC and/or traditional controller while there's a damn Wiimote just next?!

Wintry_Flutist
trust me its gonna be on the wii mote one way or the other
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 helium_flash

Anything that doesn't at least support Wii controls should just be released as a Gamecube game. There would be no point in its existence on Wii otherwise.tomarlyn

Exactly. 

Leopold_Stotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Leopold_Stotch

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Anything that doesn't at least support Wii controls should just be released as a Gamecube game. There would be no point in its existence on Wii otherwise.helium_flash

Exactly. 

they could force everyone to use the classic controller which was made to be used with the wii and then your reasoning is null

Bluestorm331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bluestorm331
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
Technically some people might still need to know "How to play" with a tradtional controller. You do bring up a valid point though, and especially with the picture of a wii remote on the website...that's some pretty hard proof. I know a while back the whole producer behind Brawl (don't know his name) said that there might be an option to play Brawl with a Gamecube controller. Personally, I don't see why they need that "traditional" method. The whole purpose of the Wii was to create new ways to play games and expand the market. Making a game that doesn't take advantage of those features is being hypocritical. The whole thing is as you brought out Wintry , is that there is no explanation for a "How to play" section if, and only if there was some more immersive way to play Smash Bros. The question is how will it work and will it work?
linkhero1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 linkhero1
Member since 2004 • 16489 Posts
If it doesn't use the Wiimote I will be pissed off at Nintendo and Hal. 
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BET8390
Member since 2006 • 4193 Posts

We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros.

Wintry_Flutist
Well thats not totally true...We did have some R-tarded updates like "Basic Rules" and Character updates of Mario and Link who have been in the past two gamees so not everything is new. I do Agree though that there has to be some Wiimote configuration although as a Smash veteran I'm not too Sure the wiimote tilted sideways can work
Avatar image for brightshadow525
brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 brightshadow525
Member since 2006 • 1149 Posts
Umm... Why wouldn't it be on the Wiimote.  SSBM used control stick, A,B, and L or R for Shield.  That's it.  Such a simple control scheme for such an amazing game.  I'm not buying the game if it uses any else besides the Wiimote.  They won't make it use anything else.  That would just be plain stupid.
Disco_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Disco_Duck
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts
I think that the controls could go like this: stick to move, flick the wiimote up to jump, A + flick the wiimote in a particular derection for a normal atack, B for B move (lol), A+B for the special move, Z for the shield and C to grab. 
Also it has been quite a while since it was stated SSBB would use the GC controller and there was like an info drought inbetween then and when the site came up a few days ago. That is plenty of time to have changed the control scheme. 
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BET8390
Umm... Why wouldn't it be on the Wiimote. SSBM used control stick, A,B, and L or R for Shield. That's it. Such a simple control scheme for such an amazing game. I'm not buying the game if it uses any else besides the Wiimote. They won't make it use anything else. That would just be plain stupid.brightshadow525
So let me get this straight, when I want to jump I'm going to tap the Analog up, when I want to Grab I would have to sheild grab everytime ( L or R +A for teh noobs who don't know) and when I want to do an Improvised combo I have to use "A" for all my Smashing Instead of having a C-stick which I can combo better with??? IDK know about you but you can go ahead and use that control scheme while you keep getting owned!!! The Wiimote and Numchuku seems like a better control scheme.
the_leet_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_leet_kid
Member since 2005 • 9951 Posts

I think that the controls could go like this: stick to move, flick the wiimote up to jump, A + flick the wiimote in a particular derection for a normal atack, B for B move (lol), A+B for the special move, Z for the shield and C to grab. 
Also it has been quite a while since it was stated SSBB would use the GC controller and there was like an info drought inbetween then and when the site came up a few days ago. That is plenty of time to have changed the control scheme. Disco_Duck

Oh God no.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
[QUOTE="helium_flash"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Anything that doesn't at least support Wii controls should just be released as a Gamecube game. There would be no point in its existence on Wii otherwise.Leopold_Stotch

Exactly.

they could force everyone to use the classic controller which was made to be used with the wii and then your reasoning is null

Except the fact the Classic and Gamecube controllers are not standard with the system and not everyone will have them. Not to mention forcing people to use them as the only option would be incredibly stupid for their integrity and sales. 

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Duckman5

[QUOTE="Disco_Duck"]I think that the controls could go like this: stick to move, flick the wiimote up to jump, A + flick the wiimote in a particular derection for a normal atack, B for B move (lol), A+B for the special move, Z for the shield and C to grab. 
Also it has been quite a while since it was stated SSBB would use the GC controller and there was like an info drought inbetween then and when the site came up a few days ago. That is plenty of time to have changed the control scheme. the_leet_kid

Oh God no.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N0 NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That'd be horrible. I like Wii + Nunchuck but to have to flick to jump is a horrible, horrible idea.
BET8390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BET8390
[QUOTE="the_leet_kid"]

[QUOTE="Disco_Duck"]I think that the controls could go like this: stick to move, flick the wiimote up to jump, A + flick the wiimote in a particular derection for a normal atack, B for B move (lol), A+B for the special move, Z for the shield and C to grab.
Also it has been quite a while since it was stated SSBB would use the GC controller and there was like an info drought inbetween then and when the site came up a few days ago. That is plenty of time to have changed the control scheme. Duckman5

Oh God no.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N0 NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That'd be horrible. I like Wii + Nunchuck but to have to flick to jump is a horrible, horrible idea.

CAN YOU SAY CARPAL TUNNEL??
Disco_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Disco_Duck
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts
ummm ok. It was just a quick idea showing how the controls could be mapped. Jump using the stick then.... jeez.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Duckman5
[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="the_leet_kid"]

Also it has been quite a while since it was stated SSBB would use the GC controller and there was like an info drought inbetween then and when the site came up a few days ago. That is plenty of time to have changed the control scheme. BET8390

Oh God no.

CAN YOU SAY CARPAL TUNNEL??

Can you say........................Kobe?
Avatar image for dark_templar_99
dark_templar_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dark_templar_99
Member since 2005 • 2890 Posts

I started a thread pointing at the fact that the official Smash Bros. Brawl website featured a Wiimote next to "How to play". It managed to get locked, as people quickly riotted for no reason.

Now, seriously:

Consider this:

This is a hyping site. Every day or so, a new character, item or stage is revealed, to get us excited. This site started an year after any comment about SSBB controls was made, and features a "How to play" in the hyping list as well. If the game was built around and only around traditional controllers, why put a "How to play" there? We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros. Moreover, it's a "How to play" next to a Wiimote. They'll be updating it just as they're updating characters, stages, music and items. Do you expect the updates will only feature the GC and/or traditional controller while there's a damn Wiimote just next?!

As I view it, anyone who claims it's all just coincidence or the site webmaster's mistake (WTF?) is in serious denial. The possibility is by now just too high to be so much ignored.

Wintry_Flutist
I've always been a fan of your threads ever sence you claimed to be reggie(Which i still think you are).  I agree with you.  It just seems too "strange" for a wii game to not use it's main controller.  You're arguments just strengthen my beliefs.
mjgballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mjgballin
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts
[QUOTE="Wintry_Flutist"]

I started a thread pointing at the fact that the official Smash Bros. Brawl website featured a Wiimote next to "How to play". It managed to get locked, as people quickly riotted for no reason.

Now, seriously:

Consider this:

This is a hyping site. Every day or so, a new character, item or stage is revealed, to get us excited. This site started an year after any comment about SSBB controls was made, and features a "How to play" in the hyping list as well. If the game was built around and only around traditional controllers, why put a "How to play" there? We know how it plays since the original Smash Bros. Moreover, it's a "How to play" next to a Wiimote. They'll be updating it just as they're updating characters, stages, music and items. Do you expect the updates will only feature the GC and/or traditional controller while there's a damn Wiimote just next?!

As I view it, anyone who claims it's all just coincidence or the site webmaster's mistake (WTF?) is in serious denial. The possibility is by now just too high to be so much ignored.

dark_templar_99

I've always been a fan of your threads ever sence you claimed to be reggie(Which i still think you are). I agree with you. It just seems too "strange" for a wii game to not use it's main controller. You're arguments just strengthen my beliefs.

Wintry is reggie??! ZOMG!! 

dfish_ds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dfish_ds
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts

I am actually very skeptical about the controls for this game. I don't see how they are going to do it efficiently... I'm going to buy the game but expect more from Mario and Metroid.