• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

If I may be a little poetic (i.e. douchey): The weak are blinded by the happy memories of days gone past. The people who think Melee is a better game are such people. Hell, I know people who will refuse to play either and demand to play the 64 because they think that turd is actually an amazing game, it was barely good for its time. Brawl, like Melee before it, is light years ahead of its predecessor. But, as long as there's at least that one guy who plays Twilight Princess, scoffs, then claims that Ocarina of Time is superior then this kind of problem will persist.

Master_Hermes
Yeah, douchey, is the correct word there. For sure. Good job calling people with a different opinion than you weak though. Makes you look smart. I like Brawl. I really do. But for how I like to play the game, Melee just has a better pace.
rawr_xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 rawr_xd
Member since 2009 • 790 Posts

IMO, every new SSB game is better than it's predecessor. They get better every time.

Dycras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Dycras
Member since 2009 • 1226 Posts

[QUOTE="Dycras"]

Don't worry TC, everyone knows its true, its just the melee fanboys that figured out those glitches and tricks that hate brawl because they took them out to make the game better and just make up lame excuses :P

LegatoSkyheart

Some people need to Adapt to the next game.

Even though I perfer Melee doesn't mean I don't like Brawl. I love it!

I usually perfer the 2nd games than the 3rd and the 1st.

It's just me.

I know, there are a lot of people like you that are perfectly fine with their opinion that just like melee better, but then there's the others that got pissed there hard found glitches were taken out so they complain about how brawl is such a horrible game and its way worse than melee, even though its better. Just because its better though doesn't mean everyone has to like the better one though, because some people would rather have faster action, like you.

TKandPBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 TKandPBC
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Dycras"]

Don't worry TC, everyone knows its true, its just the melee fanboys that figured out those glitches and tricks that hate brawl because they took them out to make the game better and just make up lame excuses :P

Dycras

It's just me.

I know, there are a lot of people like you that are perfectly fine with their opinion that just like melee better, but then there's the others that got pissed there hard found glitches were taken out so they complain about how brawl is such a horrible game and its way worse than melee, even though its better. Just because its better though doesn't mean everyone has to like the better one though, because some people would rather have faster action, like you.

Hey guys, thread reviver here. About those hard found glitches, I really think that stuff like wavedashing and l-cancelling added a layer of depth to what was a very simple fighting game. There's something to be said about a game that's easy to learn but tough to master, and Melee was one of them. While Brawl hasn't been reduced to a button masher, it has lost that layer of depth that made Melee so much fun to learn (even if that depth was unintentional on the devs part). In addition, I thought the pace of Melee was what made it so great. Characters were flying every which way, and reflexes played a much bigger role. Though, I can understand why Nintendo did it. Slowing the pace down made it more accessible to the Wii's demographic: the casual gamer. Notwithstanding, I would prefer for the next SSB to go back to a more frantic pace, with more arcadey physics. Melee may not have been the "better game" (by whatever standard you guys are setting), but it was sure as hell more fun.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Arc2012

Hey guys, thread reviver here. About those hard found glitches, I really think that stuff like wavedashing and l-cancelling added a layer of depth to what was a very simple fighting game. There's something to be said about a game that's easy to learn but tough to master, and Melee was one of them. While Brawl hasn't been reduced to a button masher, it has lost that layer of depth that made Melee so much fun to learn (even if that depth was unintentional on the devs part). In addition, I thought the pace of Melee was what made it so great. Characters were flying every which way, and reflexes played a much bigger role. Though, I can understand why Nintendo did it. Slowing the pace down made it more accessible to the Wii's demographic: the casual gamer. Notwithstanding, I would prefer for the next SSB to go back to a more frantic pace, with more arcadey physics. Melee may not have been the "better game" (by whatever standard you guys are setting), but it was sure as hell more fun.TKandPBC

L-cancelling wasn't even a glitch though. I can understand that some people didn't like wavedashing and the way Brawl's air dodging systme works, they took out that possibility. But L-cancelling? L-cancelling is a legit move. Why would they take that out? It's as if they took out skill/depth and added randomness (tripping).

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

If I may be a little poetic (i.e. douchey): The weak are blinded by the happy memories of days gone past. The people who think Melee is a better game are such people. Hell, I know people who will refuse to play either and demand to play the 64 because they think that turd is actually an amazing game, it was barely good for its time. Brawl, like Melee before it, is light years ahead of its predecessor. But, as long as there's at least that one guy who plays Twilight Princess, scoffs, then claims that Ocarina of Time is superior then this kind of problem will persist.

Master_Hermes

Here's a list of just some ("some," as in,"not all")of the things that I didn't like about Brawl.

• CIassic mode doesn't feel as fun without minigames like "Collect the trophies!","Board the Platforms!,or "Race to the Finish!" Just having the Target Attack alone makes for a somewhat less interesting experience.
  • Target Attack itself is less interesting.Having every character "attack" the same stages makes it feel repetitive,and I very much preferred it when the stages were built to each characters unique abilities.
  • The Event Mode is uninspired,too easy,and anticlimactic.I remember working for days to try and defeat all of the really inspired and varied events in Melee; it took me a couple hours,in one sitting,to beat all the events in Brawl.
  • The Subspace Emissary is terrible.It's actually worse than the Adventure mode in Melee.In Melee,the Adventure mode wasn't the best in the world,but the game knew its limits; it didn't try to tell a story (Brawl's was disjointed and awful) and it didn't try to apply the formula into a type of genre it wasn't meant to be.But you have to play through it to unlock some of the gameplay modes,so you can't ignore it.And it's the intended way of unlocking characters.Which leads me to...
  • The manner of unlocking characters is terrible.The game practically gives them to you,and you don't really need to work for them.Sure,you could unlock the characters like you did in Melee,but since you have to play through the Subspace Emissary anyways,there's no point.
  • None of the content is really that good.I mean,fan service is nice,but it's not like having a bunch of stickers in the game will significantly impact my gameplay experience.
  • I would actually state that the game locks too much away.Why must we have to unlock characters in Brawl that were available right from the start of the previous Smash Brothers games?And to take a page from the Yahtzee critique,advertising characters on the back of the box,and then forcing the player to work for at least a dozen hours to unlock them is just plain dumb.
  • The Masterpiece demos are useless.Too short to get any true taste of how the games will play.
  • Yes,the game has a great soundtrack,and I still pop in the disc to listen to it.But that doesn't change the fact that the sound design is inconsistent.Some of the remixes sound kind of uninspired,and placing updated tracks right beside original tracks from the original games makes for a less cohesive sound design.
  • The stages aren't great.Most of them feel either too basic and/or have gimmicks that aren't fun and merely get in the way of the core gameplay.Melee did have stages with unique attributes to them,as well,but almost none of them had elements that get in the way or detract from the core.
  • The online mode is bare-bones and lacking.It could have been great,but once again,Nintendo botches the online system of another one of their games.

Now tell me I'm "blinded by the happy memories of days gone past."

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Brawl for parties and multiplayer.

Melee for competitive players.

Chargeagles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108 Chargeagles1
Member since 2006 • 1711 Posts

What I couldn't stand about Brawl was that no good pokemon actually show up. I've played brawl for almost 1,000 hours now and i've seen charizard and lugia a total of 1 time. but yet i see the pokemon that puts out a shield, and the pokemon who eats items more than twice a battle.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

VGobbsesser

Here's a list of just some ("some," as in,"not all")of the things that I didn't like about Brawl.

• CIassic mode doesn't feel as fun without minigames like "Collect the trophies!","Board the Platforms!,or "Race to the Finish!" Just having the Target Attack alone makes for a somewhat less interesting experience.
  • Target Attack itself is less interesting.Having every character "attack" the same stages makes it feel repetitive,and I very much preferred it when the stages were built to each characters unique abilities.
  • The Event Mode is uninspired,too easy,and anticlimactic.I remember working for days to try and defeat all of the really inspired and varied events in Melee; it took me a couple hours,in one sitting,to beat all the events in Brawl.
  • The Subspace Emissary is terrible.It's actually worse than the Adventure mode in Melee.In Melee,the Adventure mode wasn't the best in the world,but the game knew its limits; it didn't try to tell a story (Brawl's was disjointed and awful) and it didn't try to apply the formula into a type of genre it wasn't meant to be.But you have to play through it to unlock some of the gameplay modes,so you can't ignore it.And it's the intended way of unlocking characters.Which leads me to...
  • The manner of unlocking characters is terrible.The game practically gives them to you,and you don't really need to work for them.Sure,you could unlock the characters like you did in Melee,but since you have to play through the Subspace Emissary anyways,there's no point.
  • None of the content is really that good.I mean,fan service is nice,but it's not like having a bunch of stickers in the game will significantly impact my gameplay experience.
  • I would actually state that the game locks too much away.Why must we have to unlock characters in Brawl that were available right from the start of the previous Smash Brothers games?And to take a page from the Yahtzee critique,advertising characters on the back of the box,and then forcing the player to work for at least a dozen hours to unlock them is just plain dumb.
  • The Masterpiece demos are useless.Too short to get any true taste of how the games will play.
  • Yes,the game has a great soundtrack,and I still pop in the disc to listen to it.But that doesn't change the fact that the sound design is inconsistent.Some of the remixes sound kind of uninspired,and placing updated tracks right beside original tracks from the original games makes for a less cohesive sound design.
  • The stages aren't great.Most of them feel either too basic and/or have gimmicks that aren't fun and merely get in the way of the core gameplay.Melee did have stages with unique attributes to them,as well,but almost none of them had elements that get in the way or detract from the core.
  • The online mode is bare-bones and lacking.It could have been great,but once again,Nintendo botches the online system of another one of their games.

so there's basically not a single thing about the game you liked? :|

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#110 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Brawl more balanced and more content.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#111 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Brawl for parties and multiplayer.

Melee for competitive players.

Crazyguy105

This pretty much.

However I like all the Smashes for various reasons and Im glad each one plays slightly different. I miss the days of kicking ass with Ness on the N64 game. He was hard to learn well but awesome. These days I never touch him because he sucks in both the newer ones.

I like how Brawl is balanced enough that you can pretty much leave the player token on random if you wanted. Melee was a very good game no doubt, but it had a few toons that were massive 'I Win' buttons.

I miss the Board The Platforms minigame also, and the character-specific Targets.

If there is going to be another Smash, and next Nintendo console I would be very surprised if there wasnt, my hopes are:

-include most of the past stages for all three games. Or if only certain ones are going to be available, pick ones that are actually used and popular (I hate Big Blue stage with a passion).

-bring back Board the Platforms. And toon-specific Targets.

-include all the past characters accept perhaps a couple clones. Bring Mewtwo and Roy back. Ike is lame.

-since we have to have two Link's per game, have Link and Wolf Link next

-make the online better and get rid of the friend code junk.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

Arc2012

Yeah, douchey, is the correct word there. For sure. Good job calling people with a different opinion than you weak though. Makes you look smart.

That's why I called myself douchey. It's called a joke, my friend. I were being truly serious, I wouldn't have said it the way I did. I can see why some people may prefer Melee but I personally don't see too much of a difference than Melee when it comes to gameplay. The criticisms are very technically and unnoticeable by the average player. You and I may notice that Brawl is a bit slower but its still super fast compared to the original Smash and most traditional fighters. Plus, isn't there an option to boost or lower game speed in the options?

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#113 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"]

VGobbsesser

The difference between you and myself is that you care about these things and I don't, at least for a great deal of your issues. I don't really care about online, never really cared subspace, I didn't even notice the absence of "Board the Platforms" and I find unlocking things in Smash games really fun (I will agree that all the music should've been unlocked). Also, I found the stages to be really fun, much more than Melee's in fact, so we disagree there. However, your issues with this game don't exactly explain why you love Melee better. Brawl has a great deal of Melee's stages. Melee doesn't have bad online, it has no online to speak of. It doesn't have a weak single player adventure, there is no single player adventure. The demos aren't short, there are no demos. Many characters can still be unlocked through just playing Vs in Melee as well. I see your issues with Brawl, but I don't see why you like Melee better. What substantial thing does Melee have that Brawl lacks completely?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#114 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="Dycras"]

Dycras

It's just me.

yeah I only like Melee because of how fast it is. I don't do Wavedashing or what not.

and L Canceling is in Brawl too.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Arc2012

That's why I called myself douchey. It's called a joke, my friend. I were being truly serious, I wouldn't have said it the way I did. I can see why some people may prefer Melee but I personally don't see too much of a difference than Melee when it comes to gameplay. The criticisms are very technically and unnoticeable by the average player. You and I may notice that Brawl is a bit slower but its still super fast compared to the original Smash and most traditional fighters. Plus, isn't there an option to boost or lower game speed in the options?

Master_Hermes

I'm sorry I missed the joke, but I obviously wasn't the only one who took it as a shot.

I really can't understand how people can't see a difference between Melee gameplay and Brawl gameplay.

Those links will send you to two youtube videos. Both are a Marth vs Falco Match. Both are friendly matches but have series players behind the controlers. If you can't see a big difference in speed (in fact, the only reason that the Brawl match seems fast paced at all in some parts is because the players are exploiting some of the games mechanics, kind of like the things that people love to complain about in melee) and play $tyle then the links must be broken.

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#116 Wrecked69
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
I liked Melee best
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#117 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

brawl is the best

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#118 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

64 is the best!

HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I don't know which I liked best Brawl is for fun .Brawl more of a variety of characters(not really any copies), online, more options, better stages. Melee is for competition and owning and of course challenge . Faster action, weaker and stronger characters, better adventure. 64 is for challengeish. harder computers and everything else. I have brawl and cant wait for 64 ver. to come out in vc, will get melee, and will get addicted to melee again
Agent264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Agent264
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Casual players will always say brawl>melee however, those who value technical deep gameplay will like melee more. However the most frustrating part about this whole argument is it seems both sides are ignorant, the melee side calling the brawl side n00bs, and the brawl side saying the melee side is living in the past. Lets face the truth though, melee is faster than brawl and has much more technical gameplay (I'd love to hear someone try to argue against this) however brawl has more polish and more content overall, making it more fun for casual players. Also Brawl and Melee are both very unbalanced, brawl has Meta knight the most broken character every made, and melee has a select few of characters who beat everyone else (CFalcon, Falco, Peach, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Peach, Marth, and Fox) And 64 has combos like melee and speed like brawl, resulting in an amazing game
Avatar image for TheRealToonLink
TheRealToonLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#121 TheRealToonLink
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
While Brawl is the better game with more modes and features, for me Melee is my favourite since it was the first Smash Bros I played and I remember playing it to death with my brother in multiplayer battles.
Zhugare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Zhugare
Member since 2010 • 180 Posts

I'd personally have to say Brawl. Online Play just gets you even more hooked, if that's even possible. Plus the Sub-Space Emissary is a story mode that i personally think can be played over and over again. It's just an overall fun game, and i believe it is an upgrade beyond both Melee and N64, though all of the Smash Bros games are amazing. I love the concept.

OFF: Please Help me with your votes. Links in the Signature.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#123 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Ok heres the thing.. In terms of music, level design, extras etc.... pretty much everything brawl is better.. Except where it matters most the gameplay.. And thats what just killed it for me I just dont like the slow, floaty gameplay, and how horribly balanced the game is. Yeah Fox was OP in the first game but he wasnt if you didnt know how to use him, where as Meta Knight is the most broken n00b friendly character since Akuma in SSF2:Turbo. And the other characters that are high tier are their because they can just spam the crap out of everyone like Diddy Kong.. hed be NOTHING with out his bananas.. cause you can go bananas with those bananas and so on.

I tried, I really wanted to love this game but I just cant do it. The gameplay falls short for me, which is a shame considering how amazing everything else about the game is

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#124 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
who just decides to bump a 9 month old thread? Seriously.
thatzeldagirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 thatzeldagirl
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
what is this I don't even I can't believe it is decided that Brawl is unanimously better than Melee.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Arc2012

who just decides to bump a 9 month old thread? Seriously.wiifan001
9 months? This thread started in July of 2008! Its officially a zombie.
what is this I don't even I can't believe it is decided that Brawl is unanimously better than Melee. thatzeldagirl

Edit: Ok, just looked through the thread a bit and it looks like most of the voting was done when Brawl was still shiny and new, so take the polling with a grain of salt.