All the ambassador games are bad except for three of them

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jelley0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jelley0
Member since 2009 • 1867 Posts

The only good ones are Legend of Zelda 1+2 and Yoshi. All the other ones would be good if the 3DS could support multiplayer for these games, but that obviously isn't the case. To be fair, I haven't tried Metroid yet though.

Yoshi has awesome music, and is an unique puzzle game. Trying to make eggs while making sure the board doesn't over fill is fun, especially when the speed picks up when you make a lot of eggs. Even when the speed is slow, you are able to hold down on the D-Pad when you aligned the enemies with the spots below you want them to land on. Since the game isn't slow paced and requires some thinking, it gets hectic quick and becomes fun.

Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Donkey Kong Jr., and Wrecking Crew would be fun if the 3DS supported 2 players for these games. The fun doesn't last long for these games unless you have a 2nd player.

NES Open Tournament Golf isn't fun by yourself, and I doubt 2 players would make it more fun. But that's probably because I don't know what I'm doing when I play it.

And Super Mario Bros. make just be the worst one on here. The controls are so awkward on the 3DS that it's not even funny, the B button to run is SW from the A button to jump. That is so awkward, if they had it so you could switch the controls from the Y button being to run and then the B button to jump then it wouldn't be a problem.

Regardless, Nintendo made a big mistake for having choosing mostly multiplayer games.

Thoughts?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Still don't see them for download :( (UK)

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

Erm, Super Mario Bros. Metroid, and Donkey Kong Jr are also good... >.> haven't played Balloon fight, NES opens, or wrecking crew yet.

ChibiXRiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChibiXRiku
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts
I can use the Analog Stick to run on Super Mario Bros. I don't see what the problem is.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Agreed, I was overwhelmed by the lack of nostalgia I had. I spent 10 minutes or less on each game, then moved on to playing some recent game. :? Might as well wait for the GBA titles to come.
rapidshot20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rapidshot20
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

The only good ones are Legend of Zelda 1+2 and Yoshi. All the other ones would be good if the 3DS could support multiplayer for these games, but that obviously isn't the case. To be fair, I haven't tried Metroid yet though.

Yoshi has awesome music, and is an unique puzzle game. Trying to make eggs while making sure the board doesn't over fill is fun, especially when the speed picks up when you make a lot of eggs. Even when the speed is slow, you are able to hold down on the D-Pad when you aligned the enemies with the spots below you want them to land on. Since the game isn't slow paced and requires some thinking, it gets hectic quick and becomes fun.

Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Donkey Kong Jr., and Wrecking Crew would be fun if the 3DS supported 2 players for these games. The fun doesn't last long for these games unless you have a 2nd player.

NES Open Tournament Golf isn't fun by yourself, and I doubt 2 players would make it more fun. But that's probably because I don't know what I'm doing when I play it.

And Super Mario Bros. make just be the worst one on here. The controls are so awkward on the 3DS that it's not even funny, the B button to run is SW from the A button to jump. That is so awkward, if they had it so you could switch the controls from the Y button being to run and then the B button to jump then it wouldn't be a problem.

Regardless, Nintendo made a big mistake for having choosing mostly multiplayer games.

Thoughts?

Jelley0

Didn't Nintendo say they were gonna release the NES titles for everyone at a later time with multiplayer?

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Didn't Nintendo say they were gonna release the NES titles for everyone at a later time with multiplayer?

rapidshot20

Yeah. We pretty much got the beta version of these games.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

[QUOTE="rapidshot20"]

Wanderer5

What about multiplayer in GBA games? Specially in games like Mario Kart.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wanderer5

Eh Golf is meh. Got bored within a couple minutes. Going through Zelda now which I am enjoying, so that good. Haven't gotten through Yoshi yet but I remember liking it on the GB.

[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

[QUOTE="rapidshot20"]

Rod90

What about multiplayer in GBA games? Specially in games like Mario Kart.

We probably will find out about that later on.

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

So far the ambassador experience overall has been pretty lackluster.

First we have to go find the games hidden within the eshop menus, scroll down past all the crap you downloaded previously, download one, then go through the whole process all over again. They couldn't have made that a little more intuitive?

Then when we finally do the whole thing 10 times we have to go 'unwrap' each game, not a big deal, but slightly annoying.

So you finally get a game going, and realize there's no save state option, so unless you plan on playing through Mario in one sitting or playing level 1 50 times, you're screwed. And to cap it all off, the button controls are awkward as all hell on some of the games.

On a slightly OT note, it'd be nice if you could make a folder so the 3DS dashboard isn't so cluttered. And you can't delete anything without going into the system settings.... oye.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I personaly find it awkward using B+Y in other Mario games. I don't get the issue
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

So far the ambassador experience overall has been pretty lackluster.

First we have to go find the games hidden within the eshop menus, scroll down past all the crap you downloaded previously, download one, then go through the whole process all over again. They couldn't have made that a little more intuitive?

Then when we finally do the whole thing 10 times we have to go 'unwrap' each game, not a big deal, but slightly annoying.

So you finally get a game going, and realize there's no save state option, so unless you plan on playing through Mario in one sitting or playing level 1 50 times, you're screwed. And to cap it all off, the button controls are awkward as all hell on some of the games.

On a slightly OT note, it'd be nice if you could make a folder so the 3DS dashboard isn't so cluttered. And you can't delete anything without going into the system settings.... oye.

DustinTheWind

i agree the process is very tedious. I wish you could download multiple things at once like on other systems

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

So you finally get a game going, and realize there's no save state option, so unless you plan on playing through Mario in one sitting or playing level 1 50 times, you're screwed.DustinTheWind
There's a save state option. It works exactly the same way as the one on the Wii. Just close the game from the home menu and it saves the state.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

DustinTheWind

Well technically, we did download the games a day early. :P

Smash-in-3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Smash-in-3d
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Jelley0

I thought Donkey kong jr was pretty fun on my own

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#16 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

Thoughts?

Jelley0

I only liked Zelda, Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. The others suck.

And in Metroid I can't make the dude roll into a moprh ball even though in the manual it says we should press down on the D-Pad.

Plus, in most games they don't even tell us what to do, like in the golf one. :( I dunno how to play it! :(

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

And in Metroid I can't make the dude roll into a moprh ball even though in the manual it says we should press down on the D-Pad.

Plus, in most games they don't even tell us what to do, like in the golf one. :( I dunno how to play it! :(

Spinnerweb

First of all, "the dude" is actually a woman.

And second, to get the morph ball, you'll have to go left at the starting screen and jump on the orb looking thing. THEN you can morph into a ball. :P

and NES games barely tell you what to do or where to go. There's a huge difference between games from the '80's and games from the 2000s+.

EDIT: I just tried the golf game and I also have no idea how to play it. I know how to change the swing, club, and shot, but no idea how to swing it hard enough to go past 4 yards. :P

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wanderer5

I don't like Metroid too much (Metroid Zero Mission probably spoiled me so much) but I decided to leave it on my 3DS to try out codes like Justin Bailey.:P

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Spinnerweb

[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"]

ANIMEguy10034

First of all, "the dude" is actually a woman.

And second, to get the morph ball, you'll have to go left at the starting screen and jump on the orb looking thing. THEN you can morph into a ball. :P

and NES games barely tell you what to do or where to go. There's a huge difference between games from the '80's and games from the 2000s+.

EDIT: I just tried the golf game and I also have no idea how to play it. I know how to change the swing, club, and shot, but no idea how to swing it hard enough to go past 4 yards. :P

Wow, the dude is a woman!? Looks rather like a naked man with a gun to me :p

Thanks for telling me how to morph :)

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Wow, the dude is a woman!? Looks rather like a naked man with a gun to me :p

Thanks for telling me how to morph :)

Spinnerweb

Haha, we all once thought that Samus was a man. :lol:

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Nintendo basically found titles that if they had released them on the virtual console, they wouldn't have gotten big download numbers anyhow... And threw in Mario Zelda and Metroid as well just to make it interesting

but I CAN GUARENTEE YOU RIGHT NOW... They will make 3D remasters of those games, so we are going to end up buying them anyhow.. 3D zelda was playable at e3 for gods sakes

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Spinnerweb

Nintendo basically found titles that if they had released them on the virtual console, they wouldn't have gotten big download numbers anyhow... And threw in Mario Zelda and Metroid as well just to make it interesting

but I CAN GUARENTEE YOU RIGHT NOW... They will make 3D remasters of those games, so we are going to end up buying them anyhow.. 3D zelda was playable at e3 for gods sakes

VendettaRed07

They didn't put the good games in the list because they want the money for them when they put them on VC :(

I hope that the GBA games are better.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

VendettaRed07

Hopefully they'd upgrage ours to the 3D classics versions... but that's wishful thinking.

lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

Whatever... the 10 GBA games will be more than enough to make up for the pricecut anyway. I'll just have to be a little more patient.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
I found balloon fight to be fun, I hate Zelda 2. Super Mario Bros. is excellent as well as metroid, I like Legend of Zelda even though the difficulty is incredibly hard, Donkey Kong Jr I didn't have that great of a time. Anyways Simultaneous multiplayer is coming after the games release in the e-shop as well as save points.
fool_man_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 fool_man_dude
Member since 2003 • 1080 Posts

I've been wanting to play Zelda 2 for years. And then I played it for 10 minutes and realized it sucked....

The End.

DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

I had only completed4 of these games before (as in, a looong time ago) and they were Metroid, SMB, Zelda and Zelda 2. Despite this I found all of them to be fun (except wrecking crew, because I don't feel much pride when I beat a stage) including the golfing game. I also found myself stuck to the first Zelda for a while but got off in order to play the games I hadn't tried yet. Admittedly, I noticed a bunch of issues with emulation such as frame rate sometimes stooping low as well as graphical glitches and of course the lack of multiplayer atm.

Well, I noticed some people didn't know how to play the golfing game, so I'll stick a short instructional thing here:

Basically, after you've selected what bit of the ball to hit (don't have a clue what this does) and you're hitting speed and club, it'll go into a far zoomed in view in which you press A and wait for the marker to go as far to the left as possible, then hit A again, then another one will come out of it going right. Wait for this marker to reach the coloured line (which is sometimes quite thin) and hit A again. The further left you let it go the first time, the more powerful it'll be, and the closer it gets to the coloured line, the more accurate it'll be. The putter only needs to do the first button press. The slow, mid, fast selection will also change the power of the shot (I think).

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JordanElek

I've been wanting to play Zelda 2 for years. And then I played it for 10 minutes and realized it sucked....

The End.

fool_man_dude

Perseverance. That game only sucks until you get good at it. Ten minutes isn't enough time to even get to a dungeon....

I hated it at first when I played it years ago because "it's not Zelda," but I kept at it, ended up really liking it, and actually finished it.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
The Legend of Zelda... I never played it before, and now that I own it with a persistant save, I'll do my darndest to beat it. In this regard, though, I have to say I just like seeing all those Zelda icons on my homescreen Zelda1+2, Link's Awakening and OoT- soon to add 4 Swords, and hopefully the Minish Cap and A Link to the Past. As far as the rest, Wrecking Crew is awesome(it was one of my favorite games from way back in the day), SMB is still oddly addicting, DKjr is still more fun than Donkey Kong, Baloon Fight isn't great, but it isn't lousy either. Metroid is as confusing and pain-in-the-ass-ish as ever, and Zelda 2 still has the best music of all the NES games I've played recently. I haven't played any of the others yet. And am I the only one who thinks the controls(A+B for A+B) are the most comfortable arrangement?
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Super Mario Bros is the best one. I played Zelda II and almost threw up. Good lord.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

I played Zelda II and almost threw up. Good lord.OreoMilkshake

probably why thats the only Zelda game i've never beaten, i'm trying to work on it though since i now have it on my 3DS

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I like the games, but I'm disappointed in the lack of saving yourprogress...

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wanderer5

Wrecking Crew is actually pretty fun playing alone. I try out the MP with one of my friends whenever that will add on. I would enjoy Ice Climbers more if trying to jump up to the ledge above you wasn't a pain in the neck. Zelda II is not really bad but eh not really a great direction it took.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"] I played Zelda II and almost threw up. Good lord.killerband55

probably why thats the only Zelda game i've never beaten, i'm trying to work on it though since i now have it on my 3DS

Having had originally played it and beat it numerous times in the day... compare it to other side scrollers of the day (Faxanadu for example) it is actually is really good and controls really well. I also liked it because the story line, as thin as always but still there, at least continued from the first one. I typically like sequels that make sense like that. I also liked the fact the whole world of Hyrule couldn't fit in one big field with a few offshoot spots and it had more than 2-3 villages in it. Also the fact the spells were used for more than triggering one time events in the world. Then again I'm sure I have too much nostalgia in my head... I still go back and beat it again every few years. As a comment for the thread in general, is it rumor or fact that enhanced versions of these are coming out eventually? a few people made mention of them and I'm just wondering. I'm surprised, well not really this is Nintendo after-all, that they didn't just make Metroid Zero Mission one of the games seeming it is a lot more fun than the original and actually included the original as an unlockable in it.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DustinTheWind

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]So you finally get a game going, and realize there's no save state option, so unless you plan on playing through Mario in one sitting or playing level 1 50 times, you're screwed.JordanElek

There's a save state option. It works exactly the same way as the one on the Wii. Just close the game from the home menu and it saves the state.

Good to know... Nintendo should advertise this feature somehow.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"]So you finally get a game going, and realize there's no save state option, so unless you plan on playing through Mario in one sitting or playing level 1 50 times, you're screwed.DustinTheWind

Or any of the features. You can also press X and A at the same time to bring up the VC menu, and you can hold L and R and press Y to change between first and second player controllers. I haven't tried holding Select while starting up a game like with DS and GB games.... I doubt it does anything, but you never know.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"][QUOTE="JordanElek"] There's a save state option. It works exactly the same way as the one on the Wii. Just close the game from the home menu and it saves the state.

JordanElek

Or any of the features. You can also press X and A at the same time to bring up the VC menu, and you can hold L and R and press Y to change between first and second player controllers. I haven't tried holding Select while starting up a game like with DS and GB games.... I doubt it does anything, but you never know.

Excellent! I was wondering at the inability to play as player 2 on SMB. I was wondering- what is the number below your name on the file select screen in the Legend of Zelda?
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DustinTheWind
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

[QUOTE="DustinTheWind"] Good to know... Nintendo should advertise this feature somehow. El_Zo1212o

Excellent! I was wondering at the inability to play as player 2 on SMB. I was wondering- what is the number below your name on the file select screen in the Legend of Zelda?

I have my game at a 'save state' so I can't confirm, but going by memory I'm pretty sure that's how many times you've died or used continues.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

What would your preferred top10 NES games be?

Mine:
01. Maniac Mansion
02. The Legend of Zelda
03. Super Mario Bros 3
04. Metroid
05. Kirby's Adventure
06. Megaman 3
07. Castlevania
08. Double Dragon
09. River City Ransom
10. Ducktales

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DustinTheWind

What would your preferred top10 NES games be?

Mine:
01. Maniac Mansion
02. The Legend of Zelda
03. Super Mario Bros 3
04. Metroid
05. Kirby's Adventure
06. Megaman 3
07. Castlevania
08. Double Dragon
09. River City Ransom
10. Ducktales

TheFlush

Nice list. Maniac Mansion... man that was an interesting game. Ducktales, great game. DD... you've got a lot of really good but forgotten titles there. I'd add Battletoads.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#41 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I forgot Yoshi was one of them. Can't wait to play that game again. My parents and I played it on the old NES as a family.
DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

I'd add Battletoads.

DustinTheWind

^This

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Spinnerweb

I forgot Yoshi was one of them. Can't wait to play that game again. My parents and I played it on the old NES as a family.JustPlainLucas

Yoshi is fun, kinda like a modified Tetris :p

You played it as a family? Dangit, what a lucky childhood, that you all played together

bionicle_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bionicle_lover
Member since 2005 • 4501 Posts

personally, im liking only super mario bros, wrecking crew and balloon fight. havent played either zelda yet but i didnt really like metroid, yoshi or ice climbers too much.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#45 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Yoshi is fun, kinda like a modified Tetris :p

You played it as a family? Dangit, what a lucky childhood, that you all played together

Spinnerweb
Yeah, we did that, Yoshi's Cookie, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Pac Attack, lots of other puzzle games. Hell, we even did Pilotwings on the SNES.
DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DustinTheWind

personally, im liking only super mario bros, wrecking crew and balloon fight. havent played either zelda yet but i didnt really like metroid, yoshi or ice climbers too much.

bionicle_lover
The Legend of Zelda is one of the best games ever, definitely give that one a try guys. It's a little harder and less predictable than the later Zelda's, but definitely worth playing through. Might need a guide if you don't want to wander around aimlessly, but really, it's worth it.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JordanElek

[QUOTE="bionicle_lover"]

DustinTheWind

The Legend of Zelda is one of the best games ever, definitely give that one a try guys. It's a little harder and less predictable than the later Zelda's, but definitely worth playing through. Might need a guide if you don't want to wander around aimlessly, but really, it's worth it.

I finished it without a guide* a couple years ago..... That was one of the most satisfying experiences ever. Zelda 2 is also really satisfying to finish, guide or not, because it takes a lot of perseverance and patience and skill to beat it.

I really want to see what I can do with Metroid. I've never gotten more than 20 minutes into that game, so I'm going to see how it goes this time. I've beaten Zero Mission a couple times since I last played the original, so maybe that'll help... a little. Zero Mission is such an amazing game, though....

*I might have used a guide to get through the forest maze, but I don't remember. I don't think that I would have wandered in there aimlessly until I figured it out. That would be the only help I got, though.

christiankhs-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 christiankhs-2
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts

zelda 2 is not bad , its cool imo , its just a bit too hard if i remember well

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#49 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
To be fair, what you think s good is a matter of preference. After all, you got 10 free games, I highly doubt any 2 users in this thread will have the exact same opinion of all 10 of them together.
glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

I like about half of them, that's good enough for me. Hopefully the GBA games are really good.

Also, they need to let us re map B and A to Y and B. It just doesn't feel right running and jumping in mario bros like this.