Action Replay: Cheating or not cheating?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerBitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TigerBitten
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I bought it. Hooray for me.

I've been in an argument with a friend of mine about whether using it is cheating or not. I don't think so, but he does. Our argument is this: We live an 3 hoursfrom any known Wi-fi hotspot and have dial-up (bleh), so when I saw the Action Replay device, I saw it as a means to get all of the Pokemon without having to make a giant plan to gosomewhere just to sit in at McDonald's (its uncomfortable having everyone look at you like your nuts after you're done eating) and trade. I also don't want to re-re-re-replay RBYGSC, even though they are now the updated FR and LG. Did that waaaaay back when they first came out for this same reason, except I didn't have Action Replay or Gameshark device. He's a stickler for wanting to do it the CORRECT way--trading over the GTS. So do I, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to get every single Pokemon, when the chance to get them is easy as pushing L+R on the DS!

So again, my question is this. Action Replay: cheating or not cheating?

Thank you in advance for answering!

brujagio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 brujagio
Member since 2004 • 1372 Posts

"Action Replay DS uses real cheat codes to get to the heart of your Nintendo DS games..."

Cheating.

elliwood82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 elliwood82
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i say its cheating
Sr_Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sr_Mateus
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
If you're playing singleplayer is cheating. When it's multiplayer it is despicable cheating.
You seem like a nice guy, you probably won't spoil everyone else's fun. If you are just you using for completion porpouses and it does not bother you, go on, you aren't harming anyone.

TheIndianChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 TheIndianChild
Member since 2007 • 1731 Posts

dat's not even fun.......wat's d point completin ur pokedex using cheat codes ????... ...... CHEATINGGGGG ............

Mcrfan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Mcrfan44
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
It's cheating, not to say that it's bad or anything, but what would be fun about Pokemon if you didn't catch them in the first place, but rather, just pressed a button?
zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts

Online: Cheating

Offline: Fun

OR

After you finish a game: Fun

Help to finish a game: Cheating

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
it's cheating
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
On Wifi - Cheating.
Off Wifi, just screwing around with friends, but not saving - Not cheating.
Playing through the game, with it - Cheating.
Testing out the cheat codes, just to see what they do - Not Cheating.
But be warned, if you use it to much. Some places you won't be able to go in the game. I was screwing around with it on my Pearl version. Then i couldn't leave the poke center without it freezing, had to restart my file.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

OR

zeppelin_64

I have another one.

Making the game a better challenge = fun.

People often forget that many of the DS games most common faults is that they are becoming too easy, they also forget that through some masterful use of a cheat devices you can make games harder or even smooth out the difficulty curve!

As for using it to get all the Pokemon (outside of D/P) I wouldn't call it cheating, I'd call it justice, a kind of counter-cheating to the cheating Nintendo has been doing to it's customers.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Articuno76

On Wifi - Cheating.
But be warned, if you use it to much. Some places you won't be able to go in the game. I was screwing around with it on my Pearl version. Then i couldn't leave the poke center without it freezing, had to restart my file.
WSGRandomPerson

What about playing on Wifi with friends?

WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WSGRandomPerson

[QUOTE="WSGRandomPerson"]On Wifi - Cheating.
Articuno76

True, if you guys are doing it for fun. Not actually competive then it's not cheating.
But if you play him and he doesn't know your ARing. Cheating. >>;
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Articuno76
[QUOTE="Articuno76"]

[QUOTE="WSGRandomPerson"]On Wifi - Cheating.
WSGRandomPerson

True, if you guys are doing it for fun. Not actually competive then it's not cheating.
But if you play him and he doesn't know your ARing. Cheating. >>;

Some game variants can be created using AR that actually make competitive play better. What about that?

And, yes of course, if someone is ARing and it's not known to all the players then that is bad (though having only one person using AR might not be).

antonius05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 antonius05
Member since 2005 • 849 Posts
Cheating if you don't play on WiFi, hacking if you do play on WiFi.
Burn1n6t00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Burn1n6t00th
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

Wifi hacking By yourself who cares do what you want with freind youll lose him if you beat him all the time with it single player to beat game again who cares do what you want as long as it doesnt interfere with anyone else

hermitprojects

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hermitprojects
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

Ah, A big question.

This my friend is cheating. Even though in games like Pokemon (Which I can understand, I have played each version) it is still cheating. Entering a code to get a pokemon defeats the perpose of the game. You can enter a code and have both ledgenary pokemons and say ya... I got it. But.... Do yuo really feel like you have earned the reward?? The best part of the game is to get a kick-Butt pokemon that you have caught with no aid. It's a rush that a simple code can not give you. Plus, adding codes to make a game easier only makes you a softer game player and lowers your gameplay skills. I like challenges, So I don't cheat or have aids to help.

Have you beat a game without cheating? If so. Doesn't feel good to do so. I get a rush everytime I beat a Final Fantasy game with no cheats. I stand up and say YAAAH!! Take that you ******** *******! In your ******** FACE!! LOL. Sorry, Got carried away. Heh.

blv41048

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blv41048
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I am a gaming grandmother who was not coordinated as a kid; if it wasn't for AR, I couldn't play most games past meeting the first boss. As long as you are using it for good, not evil, GO FOR IT!!! ;)
TigerBitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TigerBitten
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

Wow, many agree that it IS cheating depending on how you use it. I concur that being able to jump up and shout that you did it without a code is the best ever. It's one of the best things about being a gamer. Especially for those who started with Atari way back in the beginning of gaming consoles (I've still got mine!) befor Action Replay and Gameshark came along. Good thing I beat it befor I bought it then. The trully honourable thing to do would be to pack up the device and go get my money back....... honor is for ninjas and I'm no ninja! Muhahahaha! :twisted: LOL. I won't use the silly thing until I've beaten the game on under my own frustrated will power. It's what I do anyway.

Well thank you one and all for answering.

"Don't cheat until it's beat."

Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
wow we really persuaded u it is cheating and u shouldnt "cheat till u beat" as u said
Waffle_Krisps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Waffle_Krisps
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

dat's not even fun.......wat's d point completin ur pokedex using cheat codes ????... ...... CHEATINGGGGG ............

TheIndianChild

We have a spelling champion on our hands people....-.-;

The action replay is device that alters the program of the game to your liking. Technically, this is not cheating unless you are using it to get an upper hand on your friend. If you are using it just to get the pokemon to complete your pokedex, its perfectly understandable.

chuckleechuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chuckleechuck
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
Of course action replay is cheating...
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WSGRandomPerson
[QUOTE="TheIndianChild"]

Waffle_Krisps

We have a spelling champion on our hands people....-.-;

The action replay is device that alters the program of the game to your liking. Technically, this is not cheating unless you are using it to get an upper hand on your friend. If you are using it just to get the pokemon to complete your pokedex, its perfectly understandable.

Lmao.
Squire_Ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Squire_Ramza
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
I used one only to get what I was missing, but my team is my own and all but one them are from my Ruby and Leaf Green files. I raised mine to their current power by good old fashion patience, breeding, and EV training.
Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

OR

zeppelin_64

I always mess with my games after I finish them, moon jump is fun. :D

beeahillbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 beeahillbilly
Member since 2005 • 206 Posts

Infinite health in MP:H = cheating

Making a snaker feel the wrath of infinite red shells = hilarious

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Articuno76

Ah, A big question.

This my friend is cheating. Even though in games like Pokemon (Which I can understand, I have played each version) it is still cheating. Entering a code to get a pokemon defeats the perpose of the game. You can enter a code and have both ledgenary pokemons and say ya... I got it. But.... Do yuo really feel like you have earned the reward?? The best part of the game is to get a kick-Butt pokemon that you have caught with no aid. It's a rush that a simple code can not give you. Plus, adding codes to make a game easier only makes you a softer game player and lowers your gameplay skills. I like challenges, So I don't cheat or have aids to help.

Have you beat a game without cheating? If so. Doesn't feel good to do so. I get a rush everytime I beat a Final Fantasy game with no cheats. I stand up and say YAAAH!! Take that you ******** *******! In your ******** FACE!! LOL. Sorry, Got carried away. Heh.

hermitprojects

As I said earlier, is it really cheating when the developer has made some "questionnable" design choices with how to get some of these Pokemon? Heck, some people don't even use the means developers give them such as rare candies or masterballs (both of which are easily acquirable through trade) because they could be considered "cheating".

1) Well we could remove challenge from a game using means the developer themselves put in, including glitches as I mentioned earlier, but also bad design choices that unbalance games (which really shouldn't be in games to begin with). To take a famous example: "snaking" in Mario Kart, it requires no special codes, no AR cards or flash devices, just a callous thumb and some patience; would you say this isn't cheating? Or can it still be considered so even though the developer left it in because it could be considered an oversight or unbalance on the developers part. I'd have to say that anti-snakers would say that it makes the game unbalanced and as such should be considered cheating, but to them I say I think the whole method of catching Pokemon is unbalanced due to the level of effort it takes to catch some not being directly proportional to the Pokemon's general strength in battle (Isn't this fun!!!).

2) Your argument is very ego-centric, what might be rewarding for you might not be for someone else (and sometimes, as a I mentioned earlier, playing a badly balanced game the way the developers intended it, can be far less fun that balancing it your way)

3) Is being a softer player a bad thing? I don't honestly care much these days for spending huge amounts of time on a game for so little reward, the whole risk-reward mechanic is so worn in games nowadays that I can honestly see a reward coming just because a side-quest appears (let's face it, sidequests don't exist for any other reason...). This point is really about tired and predictable design rather than bad design.

You have to ask yourself another question too, is cheating based on the end result, or the means? Take for example the older pokemon games, you might trade with someone to get a rare pokemon...which unbeknownst to you, is from an AR device. In this case, who is cheating? The innocent player in this case could be no different from a kid who stumbles across a glitch or accidentally triggers a sequence break and gets items out of order in a Metroid game.

Burn1n6t00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Burn1n6t00th
Rapid Fire MPH hacking watching hackers kill them selves on accident awesome!!!!
Burn1n6t00th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Burn1n6t00th
Rapid Fire MPH hacking watching hackers kill them selves on accident awesome!!!!Burn1n6t00th
thats why i never bail on a game i like to see what happens even though it sucks to die
starwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 starwarrior2
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts
Its cheating and makes most no longer fun.
luk3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 luk3th
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Cheaaating!

ah well, who really cares? not me? but yah, it's cheating... :shock:

nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
Its only cheating if a) You use the codes against other players online or with friends who are right next to you, and b) If you are so lazy to at least try to go on as far as you can without cheating in the game. I use it only for games that have gotten so hard for me and when I can't unlock something that I want/need.
zatchbell101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 zatchbell101
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
I dont even know why they made it it can really screw up your game right there and acn leave it damaged. I ate hackers for some reason they just anoy me thats just me. P.S. not affending hackers on this site but at my school.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts
Every time you cheat, god kills a kitten. Think about THAT.:shock:
nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
Every time you cheat, god kills a kitten. Think about THAT.:shock:ston3henge
I'm allergic to cats anyways so thats fine with me. lol
oren_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 oren_kar
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
it really de pends on how you use it.. i think it is when your doing it to make it just so you can get them all with out hard work but if you doing it to get the ones you could not get in that game i would say thats ok just don't use them on wi fi
oren_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 oren_kar
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
then there would be no kittens left
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts
As my dear old dad once said, "if you have to ask if your shoes stink, you already know the answer."
draftrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 draftrough
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts
its hacking a game to give you cheap advantages and stuff your not supposed to get as well as stuff your supposed to work for so yes its cheating especially if you are a loser that uses it online i cant stand wimps who cant stand to lose every once in a while if your that way then dont play online you dont have the skill.
wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
Well DUH
utakpulvoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 utakpulvoron
Member since 2007 • 333 Posts

If used for your own enjoyment without a negative effect on anyone else its fine. But once you play against someone then it would be considered cheating.

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
it's cheating, but I don't care. I don't even play games online anyways. I haven't bought the USB WiFi thing.
blakkfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 blakkfire
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

Jeez this is the deal with Action Replay.

1. This is a hacking device thatcan unlock the games features to your hearts content.

2.Playing by yourself, its not considered cheating(unless you want toget a high score for leaderboards or something). Plaing multiplayer... people will hate you and its just not fun anymore.

3.Some cheats create fun glitches(like walking through walls).Some give you an instant win, not so much fun. This wouldng probbably only be good to get through tedious parts of a game.

4.Hacking the game is used for enjoyment, wether its on defeating the game completely, or if its for glitch purposes or just screwing around. You purchased Action Replay, you decide what you want to do with it.

Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

HI I NEED SOME HELP PLZ . I USED ACTION REPLAY FOR POKEMON PEARL AND I LOST MY POKEDEX :( IF SOMEONE KNOWS A WAY TO GET IT BACK WITHOUT USING NEW GAME I WOULD BE THANKFULL .PLZZZ REPLY, I M LOOSING HOPE

georgiiii

Hacking up everything you lost and not going online, EVER!!!

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
TigerBitten, there is a way to play over the internet even if you have dial up. But I don't think I have the website which shows how.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts
its cheating but i guess i could understand using it if you already beat a game
xylophagous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xylophagous
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
It's just a game. If you want to use it, use it. If you don't, don't. At the end of the day it's just a bunch of 1 and 0's. Nothing to get worked up about. I personally am not concerned about collecting every Pokemon - it's not like I like them all and have to have them.
get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

To beat the game: cheating

After you beat the game: not cheating

Online w/ friends: lol's

So yeah, pretty much the same concept as everyone else

LadyShanoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LadyShanoa
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

Anything that alters the original running course of the game by using a device that is not natural to the original game itself is cheating.

I'm surprised this discussion even came up.

Hi, Mrs. English Teacher I recently purchased the cliff notes of our reading assignment and was going to use them on the test. This wouldn't be cheating would it? I mean that way I didn't have to read through the entire book.