Your favorite gaming generation and why.

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ImJESUS-PROam
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts
We have had 7th (8th coming up) gens of gaming. I am one of those lucky few that has seen all of them, however, out of the one you guys have been through, which do you consider the best.??? For me, It's a combination of 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th. 2nD gen had timeless classics, new experiences all the time since gaming was still young, so many console to choose from, some more unique than others. Some companies best games were from that time, and the graphical outstaging from companies was really crazy. Talk about a new generation of hardware every other month coming out, the industry progressed way to fast back then but it was exciting. 5th gen was the transition to 3D gaming and the best of 2D gaming and the rise of 2.;5D compromise gaming. So many great games and introducing even more new genres and sub-genres, the creativity used to create world believable with pre-mature 3D brought interesting and fun ideas to the table of gameplay. Gaming also started to take off into audiences that were still off to the side since 2nd gen. The More adultish gamers made a come back, and anime fans and racing fans started to come in. It was much different than the 3rd and 4th gens, where there where many copied ideas with the same family-like image and making game consoles seem more like fisher price than entertainment hardware. 6th gen was 5th gen but improved in the graphics department and games where able in some cases to bring what was intended to the players eyes. Some great works were created, and gaming had come into full swing, and even then, you had people buying Xbox's and PS2's for movies as well as games. Finally devs that were on the very progressive computer market finally could make it on consoles, or a console, and the market was even. 7th gen was the biggest change yet. To go to full realistic like 3D gaming with high resolution graphics made it feel like you were in the game for the first time. Devs could create worlds and make it so that it could pull you in with the best image and sound possible. Devs could finally show you the events in full, have world large enough to take days to fully explore, have tons of options and content. An amazing generation filled with unique ideas, full fledged gaming worlds and more. As well as internet online features and downloads of movies and shows also becoming a big factor. A gen of multimedia, which oddly frowned upon 2+ generations back.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

6th Gen : Many of the best games I have ever played come from this gen, and about 2/3 of my collection is from this gen. The Dreamcast and PS2 alone would make this gen my favorite, but also there are a ton of awesome XBOX and GC games as well. Just a lot of awesome games from that gen is my primary reason for it being my favorite.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I'd have to go with 6th gen as I loved a lot of games on the Gamecube and the GBA was essentially a Super Nintendo so I got to experience those games for the first time.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
6th gen because that's where I grew up. While I started gaming with the SNES after playing with the family on the NES before this, and I got to experience 4th and 5th gen, these did not last long as we quickly moved into the games of 6th gen, where I stayed put for about a DECADE. I love 6th gen.
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

easily 6th gaming generation since i have at least 25 games belonging out of total 45

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

6th gen because it was the last great generation in terms of variety, gameplay, and innovation before games got overly gimmicky, dumbed-down, rehashed, and cut up into DLC.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

6th gen because it was the last great generation in terms of variety, gameplay, and innovation before games got overly gimmicky, dumbed-down, rehashed, and cut up into DLC.

SonOfChewbacca

I have to completely agree with this. I really like the current gen systems and a lot of games for them, but a lot of the magic and honestly of the industry is gone. In terms of game quality, overall it has decreased, but there are still a lot of awesome games. In no way does this gen compare to last gen though, not even close.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I have to say whatever gen the SNES era was, because a lot of my favorite games were on that platform, and I'm still finding many gems today.  I absolutely adore 2d gaming, and that generation has the best 2D games out there.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

I have to say whatever gen the SNES era was, because a lot of my favorite games were on that platform, and I'm still finding many gems today.  I absolutely adore 2d gaming, and that generation has the best 2D games out there.

MLBknights58
4th Gen... and I totally agree with you :D I call it the 16-bit era/war btw.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

no real specific generation , though I suppose you could say something around 1994-2004

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#11 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

SonOfChewbacca
This^
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

SonOfChewbacca

This for consoles. I love my PS2(s)!

But PC gaming has been strong throughout since the early 90's.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

5th gen because the PS1 had lots of JRPGs and playing each one of them felt like a long epic journey. I enjoyed the slower pace of games like Resident Evil, Sillent Hill, Metal Gear... I played MM8, MMX4 and MML which are the best Megaman games ever. Loved Crash Bandicoot, Tony Hawk, Strider 2, Musashi, Gex, Fear Effect, etc. I really don't think that there will be another gen with a library of games so appealing to me.

Ironically I have many more JRPGs for the PS2 (like 50?) but I don't like most of them. I don't know what is it but I feel like the genre just went down exactly like the anime industry with the moe garbage and simply doesn't feel as epic anymore like old animes like Berserk or JRPGs like Xenogears. So now with the PS3 I'm more into fighting games, 3rd person shooters and Yakuza! But one thing is for sure, 6th gen wasn't my cup of tea and I much rather prefer 7th gen. I had all the consoles last gen (PS2, GC, Xbox, GBA) while on this one I only had a PS3 yet for me this gen was so much more fun.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

simomate

Absolutely the most INTERESTING time of gaming history, was the 16-bit -> Playstation/N64 era, no contest. That's when devs and hardware were out to knock each other off the top. There were hardware innovations and software dedications which made it an actual competition for the consumer's attention. Really, from the 8-bit days through the first 64s, etc., was the most interesting time...

... Like most other things in life, gaming has become a paste, dispensed through generic tubes. Bland & completely devoid of individuality... Cookie-Cutter design. This current gen and the one coming have bored me to TEARS.

The guy in Gamestop the other day was MYSTIFIED by my response as to if I "wanted to be kept informed about the coming PS4" when I said "No, Not Interested"...

"What... You mean, like, 'At All' ?"

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"You don't care about what's coming?"

"No."

"You've been a great customer... How are we gonna stay in business?"

"I'm sure you'll muddle through..."

"What are you gonna do about new games?"

Retro, Baby. That's where my money will go. To a time in gaming where we didn't need hard drives, or updates, or DLC. A time when what you bought was what you got. Real Gaming.

No DRM.

No online passes.

No patches.

No online MP to take the place of a decent solo campaign and split-screen fun.

You had to be in the SAME ROOM to play together.

Controllers were built to LAST.

Software publishers weren't OBSESSED with getting money for trade-ins, second-hand sales, and every F***ing nickel, dime, and penny their carts/discs might possibly generate in the future, like Scrooge McDuck rolling in gold while being worried he doesn't own EVERYTHING...

... GAWD, but this debate over used game sales for the coming gen makes me SICK, and ASHAMED to have supported ANY of them in the first place... Every publisher who has spoken out on the subject has been black-listed from my shelf. And I buy games from GS and other used stores (mom'n'pop, if possible) simply to SPITE anyone who rambles about it.

You don't see the makers of "Earthbound" scrabbling for pennies that might be falling from an eBay sale - NO. They understand that the cart was initially sold, they got their legal, asked-for compensation for what they made & marketed, and they MOVED ON to the NEXT PROJECT. Publishers now are only interested in how they can further-control every aspect of the gamer's experience, all the way down the line.

And I say, F*** THAT.

It's megalomania. Orwellian gaming, no thank you.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

4th generation of gaming. SNES, Genesis, T-16 just because of the great "Shoot them ups" of the era.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

6th generation.  Because in general, games were so much better back then, the Ps2 had an immeasurable amount of games and it was when the dualshock design was at the top of its game, there were just so many fun and worthy games on the console.

The gamecube was Nintendo's high point in creativity and design, the gamecube was cutting edge in every possible area, a design marvel, and the games from Nintendo were all flat out masterpieces.  And 3rd party games were also at a height of creativity then, too.  The gamecube controller was absolutely fantastic.

I'm looking to the 8th generation to be a repeat of sorts to the 6th gen, looking at how crazy good the Ps4 is shaping to be and because the Wii U seems to be gamecube 2.0.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#17 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I gotta go w/ the sixth gen. Why? Becasue their were four (count 'em!) awesome home consoles each of which was a little bit different and unique in terms of both capabilities of the system and library. Once you throw in the GBA, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
Fourth Generation is my favorite one, super nes, gameboy, TG-16, sega cd just so many great games with no rehashes or to much shovelware even some games that are labed as some of the best ever made.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

The guy in Gamestop the other day was MYSTIFIED by my response as to if I "wanted to be kept informed about the coming PS4" when I said "No, Not Interested"...

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

MonkeySpot

lmao this doesn't even sound like an actual conversation that two real people would have

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

6th gen. 

Gamecube was great for nintendo fans and everything the GBA was so godly touched turned to gold. 

Not to mention the PS2 was one of the, if not the best home console ever.  

I rest my case. 

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

JML897

lmao this doesn't even sound like an actual conversation that two real people would have

Suit yourself. I could give two cold rat poops what you think, skippy.

;)

Have a nice day.

ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ImJESUS-PROam

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

MonkeySpot

;)

Have a nice day.

Monkeyspot is big boss today, lol.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The 3rd generation for me.

The NES is what really made me fall in love with gaming. My older sister had an Atari 2600 we'd play before getting an NES, but the Atari 2600 never held my attention for longer than a few minutes at a time. However I could play NES for hours on end, completely entranced by it. I was lucky and got great games to begin with that my mom bought with the NES: Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Legend of Zelda, Star Soldier, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Pin-Bot.

Outside of my personal experience with the NES, the NES was phenomenon in the U.S. It single-handedly brought the home console market back from the dead in the U.S.

The Sega Master System had some great games, too. But I didn't get into that until I was older, really (other than playing the original arcade games in the arcade that got ports on the Master System like Space Harrier and Golden Axe (both of which I loved)).

And you can't deny what the original Game Boy did for portable gaming. For a VERY long time it was the best selling console of all-time. Not sure if it still is anymore or not.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Tie between Snes/genesis era and Playstation/N64 Era I honestly can't choose since most of my favorite games are between those two generations. The 90s was a glorious decade for gaming.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

Emerald_Warrior

Whether it is or not, his point still stands. And I fully agree with it.

I don't. It's the same old "things aren't as good as they used to be" mindset that people have for music and movies because they don't like change. His post was just more angsty than those types of posts usually are.

-There were no online passes because, derp, there was no online.

-There was no DLC because see above. There were expansion packs, however. That's the same thing as DLC except in physical form. There weren't as many expansion packs then as "DLC expansion packs" because now it's easier to deliver those expansion packs digitally. Why is this a bad thing, exactly? It's easier to give fans of the game more content than they would otherwise get. In the past, there were good expansion packs and there were bad expansion packs. That's the same case today.

-I have no idea why no patches back then was an advantage. Now developers can fix any bugs that the game ships with, before that wasn't possible.

-Obviously DRM is a negative for current gaming.

-"Controllers were built to last" - what are you doing with your PS3/360 controller that makes them break? All 4 of my 360 controllers are as good as new. As long as you're not throwing them against the wall they're fine.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JML897

FWIW my favorite gens were the 4th and 6th. Gaming now is perfectly fine though. Whether or not next gen will be good remains to be seen. One of the next gen consoles hasn't even been revealed yet.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

ImJESUS-PROam

;)

Have a nice day.

No, I simply just don't give a F*** what two-bit jackanapes in a gaming forum believe or don't. Enjoy, though. Whatever floats your boat.

:)

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JML897

I could give two cold rat poops what you think, skippy.MonkeySpot

two-bit jackanapes in a gaming forumMonkeySpot

Wow, calling out your fake story for being fake got you even more upset than I expected :lol:

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="simomate"][QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

I have to say whatever gen the SNES era was, because a lot of my favorite games were on that platform, and I'm still finding many gems today. I absolutely adore 2d gaming, and that generation has the best 2D games out there.

MonkeySpot

Absolutely the most INTERESTING time of gaming history, was the 16-bit -> Playstation/N64 era, no contest. That's when devs and hardware were out to knock each other off the top. There were hardware innovations and software dedications which made it an actual competition for the consumer's attention. Really, from the 8-bit days through the first 64s, etc., was the most interesting time...

... Like most other things in life, gaming has become a paste, dispensed through generic tubes. Bland & completely devoid of individuality... Cookie-Cutter design. This current gen and the one coming have bored me to TEARS.

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

Retro, Baby. That's where my money will go. To a time in gaming where we didn't need hard drives, or updates, or DLC. A time when what you bought was what you got. Real Gaming.

No DRM.

No online passes.

No patches.

No online MP to take the place of a decent solo campaign and split-screen fun.

You had to be in the SAME ROOM to play together.

Controllers were built to LAST.

Software publishers weren't OBSESSED with getting money for trade-ins, second-hand sales, and every F***ing nickel, dime, and penny their carts/discs might possibly generate in the future, like Scrooge McDuck rolling in gold while being worried he doesn't own EVERYTHING...

... GAWD, but this debate over used game sales for the coming gen makes me SICK, and ASHAMED to have supported ANY of them in the first place... Every publisher who has spoken out on the subject has been black-listed from my shelf. And I buy games from GS and other used stores (mom'n'pop, if possible) simply to SPITE anyone who rambles about it.

You don't see the makers of "Earthbound" scrabbling for pennies that might be falling from an eBay sale - NO. They understand that the cart was initially sold, they got their legal, asked-for compensation for what they made & marketed, and they MOVED ON to the NEXT PROJECT. Publishers now are only interested in how they can further-control every aspect of the gamer's experience, all the way down the line.

And I say, F*** THAT.

It's megalomania. Orwellian gaming, no thank you.

http://www.warrenadler.com/wp-content/uploads/standingovation.jpg

DAMN GOOD POST!

And I wholeheartedly agree 110%!

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

"Yes."

"Dude, are you serious?"

"Yes."

"No."

JML897

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

The NES is what really made me fall in love with gaming. My older sister had an Atari 2600 we'd play before getting an NES, but the Atari 2600 never held my attention for longer than a few minutes at a time. However I could play NES for hours on end, completely entranced by it. I was lucky and got great games to begin with that my mom bought with the NES: Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Legend of Zelda, Star Soldier, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Pin-Bot.

Outside of my personal experience with the NES, the NES was phenomenon in the U.S. It single-handedly brought the home console market back from the dead in the U.S.

The Sega Master System had some great games, too. But I didn't get into that until I was older, really (other than playing the original arcade games in the arcade that got ports on the Master System like Space Harrier and Golden Axe (both of which I loved)).

And you can't deny what the original Game Boy did for portable gaming. For a VERY long time it was the best selling console of all-time. Not sure if it still is anymore or not.

ImJESUS-PROam

Well, the home console market in the U.S. wasn't really dead, it was just not making much money, only the big companies put out what people wanted to buy. You can see that with the 7800, the market was still there. Oddly enough though, it was through monopolized practices, I never considered gaming myself to come back until the 4th gen since people had no re4stirctions and could go about putting games where they wanted.

Yeah, it was pretty much dead, so was the arcade market in the U.S. at that time. Only PC gaming was making any real money at the time, and not nearly as much as they do now because it was much more limited market back then. Game cartridges were being sold for only a few dollars it was so bad right before the NES came out.

And the Atari 7800 was released after the NES, when Jack Tramiel who had taken over Atari by that time saw that the NES revitalized the home console market in the U.S. It was designed before the NES, but sat on a warehouse shelf for years.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#32 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I've only had exstensive experience with 7th and 6th, a fair amount with 5th and a little experience with 4th and 3rd. That said, probably the 6th. It had more variety and felt less like a factory of block buster game titles
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="JML897"]

JML897

I don't. It's the same old "things aren't as good as they used to be" mindset that people have for music and movies because they don't like change. His post was just more angsty than those types of posts usually are.

-There was no DLC because see above. There were expansion packs, however. That's the same thing as DLC except in physical form. There weren't as many expansion packs then as "DLC expansion packs" because now it's easier to deliver those expansion packs digitally. Why is this a bad thing, exactly? It's easier to give fans of the game more content than they would otherwise get. In the past, there were good expansion packs and there were bad expansion packs. That's the same case today.

-I have no idea why no patches back then was an advantage. Now developers can fix any bugs that the game ships with, before that wasn't possible.

-"Controllers were built to last" - what are you doing with your PS3/360 controller that makes them break? All 4 of my 360 controllers are as good as new. As long as you're not throwing them against the wall they're fine.

I particularly agreed with this part:

"Software publishers weren't OBSESSED with getting money for trade-ins, second-hand sales, and every F***ing nickel, dime, and penny their carts/discs might possibly generate in the future, like Scrooge McDuck rolling in gold while being worried he doesn't own EVERYTHING...

You don't see the makers of "Earthbound" scrabbling for pennies that might be falling from an eBay sale - NO. They understand that the cart was initially sold, they got their legal, asked-for compensation for what they made & marketed, and they MOVED ON to the NEXT PROJECT. Publishers now are only interested in how they can further-control every aspect of the gamer's experience, all the way down the line."

The same thing applies to DRM and "always online", as well.

ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ImJESUS-PROam

[QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"][QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

;)

Have a nice day.

MonkeySpot

No, I simply just don't give a F*** what two-bit jackanapes in a gaming forum believe or don't. Enjoy, though. Whatever floats your boat.

Well, I agree, although you seem to have taken that a bit more than you should have. But hey, sorry for jumping in the conversation.
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ImJESUS-PROam

Emerald_Warrior
Well, the home console market in the U.S. wasn't really dead, it was just not making much money, only the big companies put out what people wanted to buy. You can see that with the 7800, the market was still there. Oddly enough though, it was through monopolized practices, I never considered gaming myself to come back until the 4th gen since people had no re4stirctions and could go about putting games where they wanted.
ImJESUS-PROam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ImJESUS-PROam

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Emerald_Warrior

I particularly agreed with this part:

"Software publishers weren't OBSESSED with getting money for trade-ins, second-hand sales, and every F***ing nickel, dime, and penny their carts/discs might possibly generate in the future, like Scrooge McDuck rolling in gold while being worried he doesn't own EVERYTHING...

You don't see the makers of "Earthbound" scrabbling for pennies that might be falling from an eBay sale - NO. They understand that the cart was initially sold, they got their legal, asked-for compensation for what they made & marketed, and they MOVED ON to the NEXT PROJECT. Publishers now are only interested in how they can further-control every aspect of the gamer's experience, all the way down the line."

The same thing applies to DRM and "always online", as well.

The main reason for his statement being true is because we jumped to far into the 7th gen before anyone was ready. no one was ready for the very fast jump in progression 7th gen brought yet. This was actually the first Xbox's fault, it was already where games should have started getting into, instead dev were forced out their control to jump inot 7th gen. At some point they had to follow or be left behind. Those too far back went on the Wii, which had terrible software sales outside of limited third and first party. This was an issue 2nd gen as well, with people putting progression to fast. THat's why this gen lasted so long, there was too much debt, too much lost money and everyon had to catch up to have a chance, so to be honest, I was never surprised with the used games, the DRM, the dlc, the taking content out a game, I saw it coming, it's sad, I know, but it was inevitable. Even companies that struggled through the gen with decent profits or large fanbases died. This is why I fear for next gen. The industry has gone back to what was an issue back in the day, too fast progression before people are ready. I also dislike those people talking about how far PC is ahead. Why do you think those devs are making games on consoles with inferior graphics and etc? I am already scared for companies for the specs of the next gen consoles. I see more copycats and less originality, I guarantee you that if next gen specs were as powerful and expensive as high end PC specs NOW, the industry would die in a horrible depression.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I think favorite is rather circumstantial for most people. In my case I'd argue the snes/gen era. First, I was still rather young. All the kids in school were gamers, all my friends were gamers, and the snes/war took place in a more direct face-to-face confrontation. Second, Blockbuster Video was HUGE at this time. They hosted tourneys and had just about every snes/genesis game for rental. And these rentals at the time were a fair price, and there were deals if you'd rent more than one. In the time span of the genesis/snes we'd walk a decent way to blockbuster at least once a week--sometimes probably more. It was more than games. It was this era that I probably, realistically, played the bulk of a generations respected library. I could choose the NES as it was very similar, but in addition to Blockbuster being huge, arcades were also at an all time high during the snes/gen era. Talks at the arcade would often venture into console territory. Then of course there's the amazing 16bit visuals and audio. I'm also kind to the 32bit/64bit era, as well.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="ImJESUS-PROam"] Monkeyspot is big boss today, lol.ImJESUS-PROam

Well, I agree, although you seem to have taken that a bit more than you should have. But hey, sorry for jumping in the conversation.

We cool, Jesus.

As far as patches and other online features -

back before the current gen, more time was taken to get a game correct before sending it out for sale. Patches are a lazy fall-back, performed after the public pay for a game only to become unofficial testers; A service they used to have paid people perform. But now, it's more than OK to ship a broken product, and fix it later - Consuming hard drive space, and consumer patience.

I do not believe games were BETTER in the past... So to the vuck-wit who inferred that I was or am somehow "stuck in the past" is incorrect by a country mile. What I DO, in fact, believe, is that the industry has become abusive of the consumer, in many different ways. I think things like "BioShock" are pretty great games, but they were created, tested, and fixed before shipping. The problem is, patching has become almost the rule, as apposed to the exception.

This is essentially, because bean-counters call the shots now, with a profit margin on-schedule being the most immediate concern, as apposed to shipping a quality product.

THAT, is why I think the industry sucks now and I won't be spending any more money on future systems, and instead will focus on games for my other systems... Not hardly that yesterday's games were somehow better. It's the care the industry tried (or basically HAD) to take back then, of developing a good product and a relationship with the user.

PS - To that same yance who accused me of being all wistful for the past - I am a professional sound engineer, and I take GREAT care of my systems, controllers, and I will tell you I've purchased more PS3 controllers in four years or so than I EVER purchased for my XB, NGC, Dreamcast, PSX, PS2 (to be fair, I swore by the LogiTech wireless for my PS2, which were pretty durable), combined. My ORIGINAL Dreamcast controllers? STILL WORKING, after miles and miles of hours on them... Same with my Wavebirds, my Duke XB controllers, and on and on...

... YES, stuff was better-built, hardware-wise, for previous gens. Deal with it.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

JML897

Remakes and re-releases are not 'change'. Neither are the constant sequels sticking to the same formula's.

-There was no DLC because see above. There were expansion packs, however. That's the same thing as DLC except in physical form.

JML897

Nope. Expansion packs don't require you to be connected to the internet. Which is a hassle if your TV point is on one side of the room and your phone point is on the other. Consoles are supposed to be pick-up-and-play, not pooping about with downloads and updates. The modern generation are really deluded in this regard because basically they're playing flat-packed PC's yet still say they don't like 'computer's. The PS4 and X720 are moving even further into this territory with DRM and 'Always connected or no play'.

JML897

Because games for earlier generations were tested properly prior to release and all major bugs ironed-out (yes, some still slipped through). Now games are rushed to meet a deadline and are often released as an unfinished product with the idea that the early-bird buyers become the test pilots in finding the bugs, not caring that these customers get a sub-standard product that ruins their experience of the title.

Things AREN'T as good as they used to be for consoles.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dudersaper

7th gen. I grew up with 6th gen and little bit 5th gen but 7th gen has had so many quality games that those gens don't stand a chance. I never owned ps3 or xbox 360 but only pc and wii beat those previous gens for me.

justcause2w

You sad sad man :P

in fact PCs have gotten a whole lot easier to use over the years, I still remember having to configure drivers for my old DOS games  or even Windows 95 and 98, now its all automatic (even more so with something like Steam).
Darkman2007
No kidding. A few months ago I tried installing the first Tomb Raider on Windows 7 with my CD and just couldn't get it working, neither with DOS Box or any other "emulator" they reccomended. Then my friend got it on Steam and it was done in like 2 minutes.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dudersaper
There were still patches for PC games back in the day, they used to come in quite large ammounts in demo discs that came with magazines. It just wasn't possible for consoles back then.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darkman2007
There were still patches for PC games back in the day, they used to come in quite large ammounts in demo discs that came with magazines. It just wasn't possible for consoles back then.Dudersaper
although some games on consoles did get revised releases. for instance MK Trilogy on the PS1 was re released 2 or 3 times , each time with some fixes.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]There were still patches for PC games back in the day, they used to come in quite large ammounts in demo discs that came with magazines. It just wasn't possible for consoles back then.Darkman2007
although some games on consoles did get revised releases. for instance MK Trilogy on the PS1 was re released 2 or 3 times , each time with some fixes.

That's true, but those couldn't be considered patches since there basically the full game re-released with fixes, and you had to pay for that new version even having bought the previous versions.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]There were still patches for PC games back in the day, they used to come in quite large ammounts in demo discs that came with magazines. It just wasn't possible for consoles back then.Dudersaper

That's true, but those couldn't be considered patches since there basically the full game re-released with fixes, and you had to pay for that new version even having bought the previous versions.

oh of course. although patches and such are one of the reasons Ive gone back to PCs this gen , the main advantage of consoles was ease of use, just put the CD/cartridge in , and off you go , new consoles have alot of the issues PCs have , just worse visuals.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dudersaper
new consoles have alot of the issues PCs have , just worse visuals.Darkman2007
Couldn't have put it better myself :P Although I still like having a PS3 for it's exclusives, but any game that's multiplatform, I usually get it on PC, since it's usually cheaper anyway.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]new consoles have alot of the issues PCs have , just worse visuals.Dudersaper
Couldn't have put it better myself :P Although I still like having a PS3 for it's exclusives, but any game that's multiplatform, I usually get it on PC, since it's usually cheaper anyway.

in fact PCs have gotten a whole lot easier to use over the years, I still remember having to configure drivers for my old DOS games or even Windows 95 and 98, now its all automatic (even more so with something like Steam). but yes I do have a PS3 , mostly for the exclusives (though I do have Dead Rising 2 and SSF4 on it, since I got them as presents)
justcause2w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#47 justcause2w
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

7th gen. I grew up with 6th gen and little bit 5th gen but 7th gen has had so many quality games that those gens don't stand a chance. I never owned ps3 or xbox 360 but only pc and wii beat those previous gens for me.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="justcause2w"]

Dudersaper

You sad sad man :P

in fact PCs have gotten a whole lot easier to use over the years, I still remember having to configure drivers for my old DOS games  or even Windows 95 and 98, now its all automatic (even more so with something like Steam).
Darkman2007
No kidding. A few months ago I tried installing the first Tomb Raider on Windows 7 with my CD and just couldn't get it working, neither with DOS Box or any other "emulator" they reccomended. Then my friend got it on Steam and it was done in like 2 minutes.

thats odd, I got it to work just fine, with 3DFX glide support as well (which I don't think the Steam versions have)
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dudersaper
Can you just give me a quick explaination how you got it working? :P I'd love to get that running on my PC without getting it on Steam.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

2,3,5 and 6 were good

probably about 4 in 5 (80%) of my favorite games come from those gens combined.

Platformers= 2 and 3

RPG's= 3 and 5

Shooters=6