Why do you play retro games?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Some old games are simply fun. I have to add to my previous post here that I also liked the pinball game that came with Windows from Win 95 to Win XP. I even copied the pinball folder to an external drive before replacing XP with Win 7. No pinball game was included with the latest OS.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Simplicity, mindless enjoyable gameplay, and nostalgia.
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts

Some retro games are too fun to miss. Plus, a bit of nostalgia helps for a few of them.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

The games were simply better, more challenging, and more fun back then. They focused on gameplay over "T3H GRAFIX!"

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#55 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
A. Their fun. B. Nostalgia has some to do with it, it definetly affects some of my retro-game purchases C. I'm a video game collector, which I guess could fit into the gaming history catagory. -Nate-
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Emerald_Warrior

The games were simply better, more challenging, and more fun back then. They focused on gameplay over "T3H GRAFIX!"

Pixel-Pirate
Testify!
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
cos thier better then the majority of the tripe and over hyped tripe that comes out now days
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#58 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts
They're fun. Hell, I even play old games I've never played before and I have fun.
dantenero1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dantenero1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

To remember good old times and when i was little i enjoyed playing video games more than nowadays... i want to remember that feeling

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

I play retro games because they were such a huge part of my childhood. The memories some of those games bring back is just incredible.Superzone

Could not have said it better. SNES, Genesis and N64 were the consoles of my childhood.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Tighter controls, nostalgia, higher difficulty and the library is more diverse.

There were tons of different games whether they were good or not that you could just pick up and play. Because games did not cost as much to develop there were a ton of games about things that they wouldn't make games about now. Like all the different TV shows (Chip N'Dale, Tale Spin etc.).

And some of those games, there's just something magical about them. Maybe that's ambiguous but I grew up with the NES, so it brings me back.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#62 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

they are actually better compared to todays games , half of them any way, goldeneye007 is one that none has even come close to touching, perfectdark and ts is an exception because their both done by the same team members-david doak etc -not the developer though , besides pd that is ,

and like some one else said their part of my childhood ,

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

they are actually better compared to todays games , half of them any way, goldeneye007 is one that none has even come close to touching, perfectdark and ts is an exception because their both done by the same team members-david doak etc -not the developer though , besides pd that is ,

and like some one else said their part of my childhood ,

mariokart64fan
david doak made timesplitters after rare was bought out and thats an awesome fps everyone can enjoy
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
I play retro games because they were such a huge part of my childhood. The memories some of those games bring back is just incredible.Superzone
Yep, I just associate them with a more carefree innocent time in my life. No bills, no rent, no job. Just being carefree all the time in the luxury of weekends and long summers playing games with my friends and family, which was especially cool since I was in middle/HS at the dawn of the 32 bit era. Seeing games start to make such huge leaps was a really exciting time to be involved in the hobby.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Because games did not cost as much to develop there were a ton of games about things that they wouldn't make games about now. Like all the different TV shows (Chip N'Dale, Tale Spin etc.)sonic_spark
Duck Tales man, Duck Tales. That was one of my favorite games of all time on the NES.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#66 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I play them because they're fun. More fun than most of today's games.

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#67 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

Because they still are to me some of the best games out today, and it brings back nostalgia, theres still a few decent games coming out but most of them dont really excite me at all.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#68 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Because they are fun to play. As impressive as some of the new games look, most lack the simple and fun gameplay that I like. Thank goodness for emulators and freeware which I think is the heir apparent to the games I enjoyed on the Atari, Colecovision and Intellivision as a child.

darktx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 darktx2005
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

For me, I play retro games to experience games I didn't get a chance to when I was younger. I had an NES/SNES/Genesis growing up but didn't go much deeper than Mario, Sonic, sports games and fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter 2 etc..). My parents didn't really like me playing games so I only got a few games a year and just never dove deep into those consoles. I missed the PSX/N64 era all together as I wasn't into gaming in jr high and high school. I got back into gaming last gen, and have sense developed a love for RPG's especially.

Based on that, most of my retro gaming involves experiencing the games I missed out on. I typically play retro RPG's, because I feel many of them hold up the best. I've been diving into old Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Phantasy Star games and other RPG's. It's a great supplement to the games I play on the current gen consoles and I've had a blast. So I guess overall for me, retro gaming is about playing games I didn't get a chance to play in the past.

BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#70 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

For fun and the nostalgia of it. Plus older games tend to be much harder and more challenging than the games of today. Keeps my gaming skill up to par lol.

Avatar image for XxshadowgamerxX
XxshadowgamerxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 XxshadowgamerxX
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

I play them caus when i was a kid i had 2 consoles n64 and gba back then i only had a few games and i became addicted to them... and i never stoped playing them ever since.

A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

Because they're still entertaining to me, and they're the foundation of my gaming career.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Emerald_Warrior
[QUOTE="sonic_spark"]Because games did not cost as much to develop there were a ton of games about things that they wouldn't make games about now. Like all the different TV shows (Chip N'Dale, Tale Spin etc.)SteveTabernacle
Duck Tales man, Duck Tales. That was one of my favorite games of all time on the NES.

Agreed. -Nate-
PSX-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#74 PSX-man
Member since 2007 • 417 Posts

Because they're not as expensive as modern games, yet you still get a lot of enjoyment out of them.

SdotB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#75 SdotB
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

Because I grew up playing them and playing them now brings back a sense of nostalgia. Back then it was more about skill. There were many countless times in which I would end up dying playing a game but I was so determined back then to finish it. Games these days tend to hold your hand and give you many chances - but I still love playing newer games - I'm a gamer, that's what I do. Most games back then were "one and done" - if you F up, you start over. They can get a little frustrating, but that's just the way the ball rolled.

They were simpler games in terms of design and mechanics and growing up you learned to appreciate these things a little more. I guess you can say that the combination of nostalgia, history and fun factor are the reasons why I still play retro games to this day.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
Some game types are prone to age horribly, while some genres seem to handle time rather well. I can play Genesis side scrolling beat 'em ups all day.
KudoS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 KudoS17
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts

For some challanges and to relive some of my memories playing retro games as a kid

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
I play retro games because I wasn't around for them. This is kinda my way of catching up. I also like the feel of retro games. They feel, colorful. Idk, my liking for them is a strange attraction.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#80 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

I grew up gaming, since my 3 years of age. I just feel a larger connection to simple games, based on gameplay.
All games from all generations have their charm, but the further back you go, the more gets focused on the little things that make games pure entertainment.
As a second part, I now also own the systems I didn't have the money for when I was a kid. I now can enjoy any spectrums of it, instead of just one specific one.
To me these games have never felt "retro" or" cIassic", because I've been playing them my entire life.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#81 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

ive been gaming since I was 3 years old. back in the very early 90s. for a fair chunk of my life ive played games which are either 2D, or really blocky 3D, so im really uncaring regarding graphics in games, I judge graphics based on the age of a game (I think the original Dead Or Alive looks great considering it was on the PS1 and Saturn, wheres a game like Fallout 3 doesnt look that good because I dont think it utilises the PS3 or 360 hardware that much)

regarding gameplay, I fail to understand how gameplay can "age", games that are good will always be good regardless of age, if a game was bad 20 years ago , its gonna be just as bad now. The only way a game might appear to have aged badly is if you never played those games before, when they were new, and thus the gameplay style is not what you expect

Avatar image for animemaster0x70
animemaster0x70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 animemaster0x70
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts

What makes you sit down and play old titles on the SNES, Genesis etc? Is it the nostalgia side of things? Or do you want to know more about the history of gaming and what games were like back then? Or is it just because you like the games more?

For me it's a mix of all of the above. Also I just seem to have more fun when I'm playing the older games than I do with the newer ones. Some of the games today feel like a chore to play. Your thoughts?

danb0

i play retro games mainly for the same reasons you do! but another reason i play them is cuz i was born in 1994 and i didnt even get to play my 1st game untill i was about 4 years old. my 1st system was the lime green game boy color(my brother got the transparent purple one), i loved that thing so freaking much!!! my 1st game was some crappy power rangers game i think i either gave that game to one of my cousins in the early 2000`s or traded it in i cant really remember. i think my 2nd gbc game was kirby tilt n tumble,it was also my 1st kirby game! then...I EXPERIENCED POKEMON! my 1st pokemon game was either blue version or yellow version, pokemon yellow version was and still is my favorite game OF ALL TIME! *sighs* wow i can talk forever about video games! anyways, i got rid of my gbc around the time the gba came out and to this day, i still regret making my dad trade in my gbc and all the games i had for it cuz i didnt know that the gba could play gbc games. ok now that im done talking about the gbc im gonna talk about the n64! i got it in about 1999 or 2000, im pretty sure that our 1st n64 game was kirby:the crystal shards! just like with our gbcs we traded in our 64 but my favorite 64 game is super mario 64! ok im done talking now i dunno how much longer i can type!:lol:

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
I play retro games because it is fun to play the games I did when I was younger. And many of them are more fun to play than new games.