Why do you play retro games?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 danb0
Member since 2004 • 445 Posts

What makes you sit down and play old titles on the SNES, Genesis etc? Is it the nostalgia side of things? Or do you want to know more about the history of gaming and what games were like back then? Or is it just because you like the games more?

For me it's a mix of all of the above. Also I just seem to have more fun when I'm playing the older games than I do with the newer ones. Some of the games today feel like a chore to play. Your thoughts?

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
I play retro games because they were such a huge part of my childhood. The memories some of those games bring back is just incredible.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Same reason I play games now, playing games is a fun hobby.

bballer1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bballer1024
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Im a younger gamer and I play lots of Snes and nes because I was too young to play when they came out, my favorite is Secret of Mana

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Because they're awesome. :o I grew up with them, after all.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

because they were good.

DragoonSaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DragoonSaber
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts
i play ps3 and genesis both are awesome i had a snes when i was younger so there is a lot of exusive games on the genesis i never play before
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#8 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

some really, really lazy replies on here..

anyway, i play them because they're much tighter game experiences than the kinds of mainstream games today. one hit and you're dead in most of the classic arcade games, and those kinds of strict structures (for some reason) create a compelling reason to carry on playing. while today, you do have a lot of linear games that could be considered 'tight', they seem to mostly be focused on plot and narrative rather than a pure escalation of challenge and speed.

so i like them because they're tight and i like games today because they're loose (free space, more options, etc.)!

ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

They're better. I've got not use for the tricks of modern games.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

Because games back then were so simply yet so enjoyable. The graphics were good but not amazing, but gamers didn't really care back then because the gameplay was the most important part. Which in modern days more people care about graphics and online multiplayer.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

They might be retro games now but for those of us who grew up during the 80s, those were the games we grew up playing when they were new and groundbreaking.

I still play those games because they are the type of games I like to play, as for some reason this current generation of gaming just doesn't appeal to me in the same way the previous generations did.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 just_nonplussed

Because games back then were so simply yet so enjoyable. The graphics were good but not amazing, but gamers didn't really care back then because the gameplay was the most important part. Which in modern days more people care about graphics and online multiplayer.

Heartagram_03

who are these people who care about graphics? because most gamers say the exact same thing as you, i.e. "it's all about the gameplay!". i rarely hear people champion graphics over gameplay.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

1) becuase gaming is going downhill fast nowadays. creativity and innovation is shunned (bayonetta) while theatrics and unoriginality is exalted (uncharted and MW2). Gaming is going to the casuals, the newbies and the jocks.

2) partially for nostalgic reasons and games I missed out on as a child.

3) to broaden my horizons and become a more knowledgeable gamer

4) because it seems the further you go back, them more games were forced to capitalize on gameplay and simplicity.

5) because the 90's was the golden age of gaming

6) because classic games are actually challenging

7) because you can find games that no one has heard about and you can share them

8 ) you are able to dissolve nostalgic bias and your own fanboyisms by discovering better games.

9) you can brag about all the classics you've beaten

10) you are able to preserve the memories of these games before they are forgotten

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

anyway, i play them because they're much tighter game experiences than the kinds of mainstream games today. one hit and you're dead in most of the classic arcade games, and those kinds of strict structures (for some reason) create a compelling reason to carry on playing. while today, you do have a lot of linear games that could be considered 'tight', they seem to mostly be focused on plot and narrative rather than a pure escalation of challenge and speed.

so i like them because they're tight and i like games today because they're loose (free space, more options, etc.)!

just_nonplussed

That's a good point. They required far more skill than the games nowadays. The games of today are too forgiving. I played Uncharted on the hardest difficulty the first time though, and thought it was a cinch--get shot how many times and hide for a minute to replenish all your health? Imagine if Uncharted stuck to the more typical "retro" rules. These new games feel like the developers give you a rope to hold, and then pull you through the experience. I still enjoy some of the new ones, but the reward in beating a game, like you said, is more about the narrative.

I also think the game designers/developers/artists were more talented/creative and did so much more with so much "less." People think graphics have evolved, but sometimes I think it's the other way around. Most of the old classics are so recognizable a monkey is likely able to distinguish Mario from Pac Man. Today, every couple months there's some new technique in achieving a more realistic lighting effect or texture, or rendering a more lifelike face. Imo these are not better graphics, but just techno mumbo jumbo. Good graphics have unique characteristics to the game, where the look is just as much part of the music and gameplay.

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

[QUOTE="Heartagram_03"]

just_nonplussed

who are these people who care about graphics? because most gamers say the exact same thing as you, i.e. "it's all about the gameplay!". i rarely hear people champion graphics over gameplay.

Look into system wars and you'll see what I'm talking about.

txr302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 txr302
Member since 2006 • 1288 Posts

I generally have more fun with older games. The last 5 games I've been palying are from SNES,.

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

I play them because I grew up wirth them, and it's not like I'm gonna just throw them away just because I beat them like 20 years ago.

neildneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 neildneil
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

I just want to play as many games as possible

BubbyJello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BubbyJello
Member since 2007 • 2750 Posts

For fun. That is all.

Avatar image for evo4x4hardcore8
evo4x4hardcore8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 evo4x4hardcore8
Member since 2010 • 320 Posts

I'm just bored.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

I play retro games because they're fun and I grew up with them.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

Heirren

That's a good point. They required far more skill than the games nowadays. The games of today are too forgiving. I played Uncharted on the hardest difficulty the first time though, and thought it was a cinch--get shot how many times and hide for a minute to replenish all your health? Imagine if Uncharted stuck to the more typical "retro" rules. These new games feel like the developers give you a rope to hold, and then pull you through the experience. I still enjoy some of the new ones, but the reward in beating a game, like you said, is more about the narrative.

I also think the game designers/developers/artists were more talented/creative and did so much more with so much "less." People think graphics have evolved, but sometimes I think it's the other way around. Most of the old classics are so recognizable a monkey is likely able to distinguish Mario from Pac Man. Today, every couple months there's some new technique in achieving a more realistic lighting effect or texture, or rendering a more lifelike face. Imo these are not better graphics, but just techno mumbo jumbo. Good graphics have unique characteristics to the game, where the look is just as much part of the music and gameplay.

well said! i've been thinking the same thing. graphics today are confusing; there's too much going on, and all the photo-real, grainy images blend into one. there's very little restraint in game development. in the mainstream developers are collectively pushing in the same fetishistic, oil-painting style aesthetic. in the indie scene, the 'retro' aesthetic is popular, but it's over done and not very imaginative. games like echochrome, or loco roco on PSP are genuinely new.

'better' is a confusing term anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

well said! i've been thinking the same thing. graphics today are confusing; there's too much going on, and all the photo-real, grainy images blend into one. there's very little restraint in game development. in the mainstream developers are collectively pushing in the same fetishistic, oil-painting style aesthetic. in the indie scene, the 'retro' aesthetic is popular, but it's over done and not very imaginative. games like echochrome, or loco roco on PSP are genuinely new.

'better' is a confusing term anyway.

just_nonplussed

I feel this "indie" scene gets more undeserved praise than the the "mainstream" scene. Braid? It may be off topic somewhat, but I kind of chuckled when you brought up oil-painting aesthetics becoming popular because the series that really used it as a means of visualizing the story is often thought of as a load of garbage--that being the Star Wars prequels.

Maybe the question should be reversed and ask why people play modern videogames. Are they really videogames or just movies with a few QTEs?

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#25 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

It reminds me of good times, there is a huge nostalgia factor... and also I just prefer most old games over recent ones.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I started gaming in the Atari 2600 at home/Space Invaders at the shop days. I love playing them even now. Having said that I don't have the hate for the current gen, I think a good game is a good game no matter when it was made.
sheepradish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sheepradish
Member since 2006 • 2242 Posts

Same reason I play games now, playing games is a fun hobby.

gago-gago

same thing as me.

kitchenwindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kitchenwindow
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

I play them because they remind me of a time when video games weren't all about first person shooters or war simulators. Ahhh, I miss those days.

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

because, though technically can't withstand confront with current games, they came before and are absolutely superior in quality terms and in factors really do count as playability, original story and scheme, lasting appeal, soundtracks.

Lobo_das_Neves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lobo_das_Neves
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Because I get nostalgic.

slingshot_ylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slingshot_ylo
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts

They might be retro games now but for those of us who grew up during the 80s, those were the games we grew up playing when they were new and groundbreaking.

I still play those games because they are the type of games I like to play, as for some reason this current generation of gaming just doesn't appeal to me in the same way the previous generations did.

Panzer_Zwei

You took the words right out of my mouth. I really hate the "retro" label.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

slingshot_ylo

You took the words right out of my mouth. I really hate the "retro" label.

yes, but those games are now 'old'. they are not groundbreaking today. they're old, but some stand the test of time and become 'timeless'.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
1. For the nostalgia feeling. 2. Retro games were way much better and fun than todays games. 3. To relive my childhood. 4. To finally buy the games and systems I couldn't get when I was a kid since my parents were strict about video games.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I play them for a nostalgia kick, mainly. Reminds me of my childhood and reminds me how far this hobby of ours has come. But to be honest, I get bored of most retro titles after about 30 minutes of play. This is quite annoying because I missed FFVII and Ocarina of Time when they were first released and I'd love to play them now (I own both) but I just can't get into them. I get bored of them really quick.
Lpsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lpsquall
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts
I play the retro games because they weren't all about graphics. It was all about the gameplay and story. I'm a huge RPG fan and even today Chrono Trigger is considered on the the best RPG's and it doesn't have to do with the graphics but the story and gameplay.
Phrozen621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Phrozen621
Member since 2010 • 51 Posts
Nostalgia, gameplay, and because it is a game I KNOW I like, and that I won't have to shell out $60 for a game people tell me is good, but could turn into crap.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

I don't think of myself as a "retro" gamer, but a "gamer" in general. I like the old and new alike. I do however think that there were far more great games in the past on the older systems, but that doesn't mean that newer games are inferior. Newer games just have a different appeal. It is hard trying to separate the good games from the garbage though. I definately think that the Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad is the most rediculous thing ever. I don't see why so many people hate the FPS genre though. There's always been garbage, you just need to stay away from it.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Because it revived my childhood. I usually loved late 70's to late 80's video games- Space Invaders, Defender, Pac-Man, Dragon's Lair, Donkey Kong, Star Wars the Arcade Game, Frogger, etc.
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

[QUOTE="Heartagram_03"]

just_nonplussed

It's mostly people who think too highly of modern games and have built their expectations around them. Whenever my brother sees me playing older games, from NES to 1980's/early 90's pc he says "Why do you play those games? They're so old and the graphics are horrible." And I always tell him that I just find them to be more in depth than current games, they have more charisma and I can play them for much more longer.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I play retro games because they were such a huge part of my childhood. The memories some of those games bring back is just incredible.Superzone

basically what he said. and i agree with the TC, sometimes new games are like a chore. while older games are more pure fun.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

they have characteristics that new games cant reproduce unless its a 2D game like New Super Mario Bros/Wii

Avatar image for StAzKrnchyNMilk
StAzKrnchyNMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StAzKrnchyNMilk
Member since 2005 • 227 Posts

I think a couple of us talked about this in the gaming history thread a while back, so i just cut my bit from there and will put it here:

..I wrote more about the older consoles because honestly those have always, and will always mean more to me than the later ones. those old warhorses are the ones I grew up with, and through some kind of strange metaphysical way I have always felt as if they were growing up with me as well. Even now picking up that rectangle controller and only having to worry about A and B buttons gives me a warm feeling i can only equate to running into a dear childhood friend.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Why do I play retro games? It's because they're fun.

I still play Crusader: No Remorse via DOSBox, Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 3 via ScummVM on the pc. I have a number of N64 games (Zelda: OOT, Waverace 64, etc) in my daughter's Wii.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Because they're amazing. They're a lot better than new games in some ways.

Cheesemanook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cheesemanook
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

Because I often get tired of modern games, andwant to play something new.

I like to see how my favorite game series began back on the nes/snes/n64.

I'm looking for achallenging game.

And, because then I can brag to my friends about how I own all theseold/rare games.

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#46 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
Most of the "retro" games I am playing now are the ones I wanted to play back when they were new but I didn't have the time.
MrSaturn33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 MrSaturn33
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

...Why not?

Efaustus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Efaustus9
Member since 2003 • 155 Posts

Its a combination of factors nostalgia is one but game play is another significant factor. These classic games are striped down and fun at a very fundamental pick up and play level. So with out cluttering up my entertainment center I try to get retro games playing on as few boxes as possible. Right now I am using my ps3 w the zerogame project to get that fix.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Nastalgia is a powerful thing. Playing games like Chrono Trigger or any of the Final Fantasy games on the Ps1 is amazing.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts

well for one most great games at that time I didnt know about because I was a kid and didnt know anything about what games were coming out or which ones are pure crap and most games within the 16 bit era have a veryhigh replay value, easy to play,some are challenging to this very day, and great graphics like the SNES for example