What game was the biggest dissapointment for you?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Biggest let-down this gen:

Socom Confrontation

I actually bought my PS3 the day it came out. Yeah, I was pumped.
Then I popped in this laggy, buggy, shell of a game and my heart hit the floor.
Not only that, but the trophies are absolutely re-goddamn-diculous to even consider trying to achieve.
A very, very poor game.
Socom has ONE more chance to get me back on board. Then that's it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Two games: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and BioShock

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for being a much more action-oriented game than the previous two Prime's (as opposed to exploration-focused), and having probably the most disappointing bosses in the history of gaming. The boss battles in Prime and especially Echoes were a major hallmark of the series. Even most of the bosses in Corruption were creative and thrilling... but the last two fights were easily the most disappointing, especially the second-to-last, given how amazing the boss fights with said character were in Echoes.

Corruption also shook my faith in Nintendo and their control of the Metroid IP. Given Hunters (a game that does not deserve the Metroid namesake), Corruption (a game by Retro, whose involvement in its development is becoming questionable in terms of creative control, given how dissimilar it was from Prime and Echoes) and the recent adoption of Team Ninja to help develop Metroid: Other M, a game that will most obviously be rated T and is becoming "narrative-focused" game (most likely, just like Corruption, ugh), will probably en upnot being what I expect of the Metroid games.

I may be too much of a Metroid fan, and am taking my love of the Metroid series too far... but based on my falling out with Nintendo in general recently (and the direction they are taking their games; i.e. not anywhere), I'm not really surprised. I'm holding the series to a very high standard (deservedly so), and don't doubt that Other M will end up being something I don't want it to be. The lack of a 2D sequel to Fusion and Zero Mission (ZM was released in 2004 BTW), the creation of Hunters and the misdirection of Corruption... I've kind have lost my interest in where the Metroid series is headed.

BioShock for being an overall amazing disappointment. I was basically at the controls for the hype train for the game here on Gamespot and drove myself, and many other gamers, to the point where a game can be nothing BUT a disappointment. It helped me learn to remain sceptical about games before they release and to always, always make sure to not hype myself up for something, no matter how excited I am for it. Hype only leads to disappointment... and that took several weeks to set in after playing BioShock... which of course was one of the most average and mediocre shooters of this generation, based on how much it was hyped by the developers for being something it wasn't. It was a generic corridor shooter that didn't have RPG-elements, complex moral choices or even a non-linear plot... all it has was an interesting premise and good atmosphere.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#53 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

Grand Theft Auto IV.

I had such high hopes for that game.

It was still decent, but for the wrong reasons. I want my San Andreas sandbox with RPG elements in it back.

edit: RPG elements which does not solely revolve around the use of (or lack of same) your cellularphone.

SemiMaster

Grand Theft Auto hasn't been awesome since Vice City. I use this anecdote often. Why is it when I am chasing after someone in a Turismo (the Ferarri/Porsche thing) and they are in some Blista (like a Civic hatchback if I remember right), how the hell do they outrun and outsteer me in a game that is going for a more realistic approach? It's like the fun was sucked out of the gameplay and some Gran Turismo driving simulator that doesn't follow it's own rules was thrown in. Saints Row is way better now.

Yeah, that is kinda' weird, i'll give you that. Doesen't ruin the game for me though. =]

I haven't tried saints row, so i wouldn't know.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

@ foxhound_fox

I completely agree with you about Metroid 3. I don't usually trade games in, but I got this one back to the store in time to get as much of my money back as possible.

And I think we're also on the same page when it comes to Bio-Shock. It starts out above average, then quite quickly degrades into a run-of-the-mill shooter.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#55 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

Grand Theft Auto IV.

I had such high hopes for that game.

It was still decent, but for the wrong reasons. I want my San Andreas sandbox with RPG elements in it back.

edit: RPG elements which does not solely revolve around the use of (or lack of same) your cellularphone.

BiancaDK

Grand Theft Auto hasn't been awesome since Vice City. I use this anecdote often. Why is it when I am chasing after someone in a Turismo (the Ferarri/Porsche thing) and they are in some Blista (like a Civic hatchback if I remember right), how the hell do they outrun and outsteer me in a game that is going for a more realistic approach? It's like the fun was sucked out of the gameplay and some Gran Turismo driving simulator that doesn't follow it's own rules was thrown in. Saints Row is way better now.

Yeah, that is kinda' weird, i'll give you that. Doesen't ruin the game for me though. =]

I haven't tried saints row, so i wouldn't know.

Well it's not JUST that... but that was one example of what left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean GTA 4 isn't awful, but I expected the true next evolution of sandbox games. Instead I get annoying cell phone calls in the middle of missions, but if you can't or don't want to go bowling in the next burough over, then you get rejected by your friend.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]Mass Effect wasn't the biggest by far, but had many flaws and was much less than what I was expecting. That being said, I'm enjoying the sequel much more.Dracula68
Just curious here but what were the flaws you mention?

Well in the first game i remember reviews promising lots of planets and stuff, judging with my previous experiance with kotor i did not expected to play a game that lacks in content so much. Eg: they could have use bigger planets, like Kotor's planets for example. Sometimes the levels felt too small and linear for a rpg that you travel around planets. Also the combat was not sucessfull neither in rpg or shooter terms and the ai cared more about running towards you than taking cover and avoiding taking bullets to the chest. Another thing is the annoying control on the mako on the x360 version or the messy inventory that was more confusive than helpfull. For example you pick up more items that you can carry and the following message appears: You are forced to salvage the remaining items" Why cant i open my inventory and decide what i want to pick up and what i want to drop instead? Also the sidequest planets were kinda uimpressive! Basicly the game could have been much more than it was when it came out!!
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#57 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Just curious here but what were the flaws you mention in Mass Effect?Dracula68

A few things:

• Poor inventory management (however this was corrected in the PC version.)
  • The framerate was terrible and stuttered constantly combined with sometimes terrible texture glitching, but again these were mostly remedied on the PC.
  • The side planets were all too similar and did not have enough variety to their missions, which in the end made them tedious and boring to check out. I disagree with most on the Mako though, personally I loved the way it drove and it ended up becoming the main motivation for me to go explore.
  • I found many of the conversation choices were far too vague and I sometimes ended up with results that I did not intend. Punching out the female reporter instead of just being rude to her, for example. I ended up wishing to know exactly what I was going to say or do, before I did it.
  • There was no squad interaction while out on missions. In KoToR, different confrontations would occur between different party members at random depending on their varying histories, where you were then able to either edge them on or try to calm the situation. It gave incentive to mix up members to see what happened, as well as lending a light into their pasts. This was nowhere present in the original ME and seems to be the same in the sequel (though I have seen one scene so far in ME2, but only on the ship). I suppose this could not be seen as a fault on the original, but as KoToR had done it, it stuck out to me and made it feel like a step in the wrong direction. It takes away the feeling of being a crew when the members acknowledge Shepard only and basically ignore one another.
  • The Codex. Helpful as it was, it felt like a chore that instead could've been better integrated into the game and conversations and be presented to the player in a more engrossing way instead of having to constantly refer to it to stay on top of things. I know there's a ME book, but this is the game. It just felt (and still feels) too separated from everything else.
  • A.I was a bit lousy.

Those are my biggest gripes. Not a bad game, but after having played KoToR, it seemed to take a few steps back for every one forward. I was disappointed.

JustBeingFrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 JustBeingFrank
Member since 2010 • 735 Posts
Brute Force for the original Xbox.
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

I second (or third) Borderlands. I did not find it fun or engaging whatsoever. And I tried $60 worth of hard to like it.

I ended up selling it -and I never sell my games. I can usually find some redeeming value in even the worst games. Not Borderlands though. I tried to sell it to a friend of mine and he thought it sucked as well. He couldn't give it back to me fast enough.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Prince of Persia and MW2 in a way

cloudmip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 cloudmip
Member since 2009 • 240 Posts

New Super Mario bros. Wii. It just.... wasn't what i expected.

pheartheninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#62 pheartheninja
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Clock Tower 3.

*Sigh* It was supposed to be scary, but it wasn't... And Scissorman was an idiot in tights. I mean, come on...

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Two games: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and BioShock

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for being a much more action-oriented game than the previous two Prime's (as opposed to exploration-focused), and having probably the most disappointing bosses in the history of gaming. The boss battles in Prime and especially Echoes were a major hallmark of the series. Even most of the bosses in Corruption were creative and thrilling... but the last two fights were easily the most disappointing, especially the second-to-last, given how amazing the boss fights with said character were in Echoes.

Corruption also shook my faith in Nintendo and their control of the Metroid IP. Given Hunters (a game that does not deserve the Metroid namesake), Corruption (a game by Retro, whose involvement in its development is becoming questionable in terms of creative control, given how dissimilar it was from Prime and Echoes) and the recent adoption of Team Ninja to help develop Metroid: Other M, a game that will most obviously be rated T and is becoming "narrative-focused" game (most likely, just like Corruption, ugh), will probably en upnot being what I expect of the Metroid games.

I may be too much of a Metroid fan, and am taking my love of the Metroid series too far... but based on my falling out with Nintendo in general recently (and the direction they are taking their games; i.e. not anywhere), I'm not really surprised. I'm holding the series to a very high standard (deservedly so), and don't doubt that Other M will end up being something I don't want it to be. The lack of a 2D sequel to Fusion and Zero Mission (ZM was released in 2004 BTW), the creation of Hunters and the misdirection of Corruption... I've kind have lost my interest in where the Metroid series is headed.

foxhound_fox

you know for all the complaining you do about nintendo "rehashing" their main franchises....I'd figure you would be glad to see the next metroid game going in a different direction.

I guess nintendo can't please you can they?

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

Tie between Delta Force Xtreme II (lol, but I did have high hopes for it considering it was Nova Logic's big "comeback,") and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Both of them were epic failures because glitches, lag, and bugginess ruined the multiplayer beyond recognition.

However, I think it's sad that Delta Force Xtreme II is actually better than Dragon Rising in everything but graphics (debatable, actually, with the disappearing landscape in OpF:DR), being a budget game and all. I like Combat Sims, but Op Flashpoint was really crumby.

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
definatly gta4! I liked all of the past gta games, especially VC. I waited for the reviews and there was so much praise, I just had to get the game. Turns out it was the most overrated piece of rubbish to come out this gen.
DazeHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DazeHeart
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
Halo 3 Campaign was a letdown for me. One and Two really hyped me up. The gameplay was great! The multiplayer in all 3 works well for me. However the Singleplayer for 3.. I just.. I don't know. You always had marines around, so you weren't doing the fighting alone like you used to. Ofcourse in all 3 games there are levels when you're allied, but the game lost it's "solo" feeling. I wasn't particularly fond of the level-design either. Too many big open maps, and the amount of enemies that come at you are not very well planned. I loved it how in Halo 2, you'd get packs of enemies, maybe a few tough ones, a drop ship and whatever else, it just flowed better (for me). Halo 3 I just felt let down because I was either in a vehicle blowing up a zillion other vehicles, or running with a hundred marines killing things. The arbiter seemed pushed back a bit too, the gameplay was centered on the chief and the AI for the arbiter was pretty bad too. I'm not saying Halo 3 was terrible, I liked it anyway, the story was oookay compared to the last two, but some of the events in the game which I shall not spoil, ruined the game for me greatly - as well as the ending, and the rude statement from the captain to the arbiter.
DazeHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 DazeHeart
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
[QUOTE="DazeHeart"]Halo 3 Campaign was a letdown for me. One and Two really hyped me up. The gameplay was great! The multiplayer in all 3 works well for me. However the Singleplayer for 3.. I just.. I don't know. You always had marines around, so you weren't doing the fighting alone like you used to. Ofcourse in all 3 games there are levels when you're allied, but the game lost it's "solo" feeling. I wasn't particularly fond of the level-design either. Too many big open maps, and the amount of enemies that come at you are not very well planned. I loved it how in Halo 2, you'd get packs of enemies, maybe a few tough ones, a drop ship and whatever else, it just flowed better (for me). Halo 3 I just felt let down because I was either in a vehicle blowing up a zillion other vehicles, or running with a hundred marines killing things. The arbiter seemed pushed back a bit too, the gameplay was centered on the chief and the AI for the arbiter was pretty bad too. I'm not saying Halo 3 was terrible, I liked it anyway, the story was oookay compared to the last two, but some of the events in the game which I shall not spoil, ruined the game for me greatly - as well as the ending, and the rude statement from the captain to the arbiter.

I'd also like to say that I wish the levels were a bit better designed. Halo 2 had a variety of environments ranging from a city at war, a heretic base, arid and snowy wastelands to lush jungle with beautiful ruins and some other amazing things on Halo itself. Halo 3 was: Big open grassy environment to big open snow environment to many narrow corridors. I didn't like it.
hangeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 hangeer
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Definitely Assassin's Creed... Luckily I borrowed the game! It was impressive and fun for the first 3 memories because of the elaborate and elusive story telling. But then I just cannot bare to go up to kill 8 groups of harassing soldiers just so that I can complete a full memory stick. All the fight was repetitive and quest were worse than the gather type of quest in mmos. The only exciting part is to kill a boss and push the story further. But that is like a bad dance movie, in which all the bad acting, setups, and hype built up the entire time just so that you can watch a dance routine 40 mins later. Then when that time finally comes, you don't really give a rat's ass about it anymore. I didn't buy AC2 for that reason, maybe rent or borrow it again later.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#69 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Of this generation, it would be Resident Evil 5. Crash and burn. All the scary tension of Resi 4...gone!

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Resident Evil 5 was good, but it could've been a LOT more. Ghostbusters.
Lode_Runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Lode_Runner
Member since 2010 • 215 Posts

Fable.

Sucked.

rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

PERFECT DARK ZERO.. why did it get good reviews? that game was miserable

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#73 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Resident Evil 5 was good, but it could've been a LOT more. Ghostbusters.rmfd341

I agree, on its own merits, it's not by any means a bad game. But the latent potential was massive, and it failed to live up to it.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#74 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

PERFECT DARK ZERO.. why did it get good reviews? that game was miserable

rassklot
The actual gameplay of the campaign was good. The multiplayer combat sucked hard. 4 player split screen was one of the most fun I've had with friends playing the original.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Devil May Cry 2. It was supposed to be The Second Coming...[QUOTE="btaylor2404"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Oh yea, MGS4. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever played.

Wow. One of the two or three greatest and most satisfying games I've ever played. I'm surprised we're so far off on that one.

Agreed.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#76 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Devil May Cry 2, Deus Ex 2, Gears of War 2, Mechassault.

I've never been disappointed by a Molyneux game because I know that they'll all suck. :)

EDIT: I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed by BioShock. :(

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
[QUOTE="Dire_Weasel"]

Devil May Cry 2, Deus Ex 2, Gears of War 2, Mechassault.

I've never been disappointed by a Molyneux game because I know that they'll all suck. :)

EDIT: I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed by BioShock. :(

Good, someone 2nd DMC2. That game was supposed to turn the genre upside down like the original.
Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts
I'm noticing a lot of Lionhead and BioWare in this thread. Just saying.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

I'm noticing a lot of Lionhead and BioWare in this thread. Just saying.Polybren
Aint nothing wrong with those lovely game developers. ;) *flexes her ban hammer at Brendan*

For me it was definitely Black & White; fun for the first few hours, but it got boring. Fireball, gain village, repeat.

yx2vy
I actually thought B&W was also going to be simply out of this world at the time. When I played it for the first time it wasn't what I had waited for all of those years, but it was something different. Different kinds of games bring more surprises.

Much like films I try not to get my hopes up anymore and avoid falling into the trap of a hyped game or film. I enjoy the games and the films much more these days from not making assumptions that I am going to encounter something awesome. :)

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#80 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Grand Theft Auto IV. I heard all this hype about how GTAIV is amazing and great -- and I actually dislike the franchise, I bought it anyway and I was disappointed. Story was lackluster to me. I didn't care for Niko or his story - tedious mission structure and the game was just too long for it's own good.
I_like_Needles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 I_like_Needles
Member since 2010 • 82 Posts
Well i don't have many game dissapointments but left 4 dead 2 was...I like the first one waaay better the second ones too laggy and hard to join games but I do like the new weapons and the new infected
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Deus Ex: Invisible War. What a shame to follow up one of the best games of all time with such a mediocre product.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well i don't have many game dissapointments but left 4 dead 2 was...I like the first one waaay better the second ones too laggy and hard to join games but I do like the new weapons and the new infectedI_like_Needles
If you can get past those issues i have to say that they made everything better, the compaigns, the characters, the guns, the monsters!
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10590 Posts

in the past few years far cry 2 stands head and shoulders above all others. last year it was halo odst, ridiculously overrated last gen-looking rubbish

themountaindew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 themountaindew
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
Dante's Inferno. Haven't played it let, but if the review is accurate, I will be let down. HAZE, though it would be a solid co-op shooter, but no. EPIC failure.