What exactly defines an RPG?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

beckyolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 beckyolt
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

Nowdays hundreds of games like to call themselves RPGs because they have levelling, story choices, or open-ended sandbox world. Likewise when many games ( Mass Effect 2 , for example ) lose certain of their characteristics people argue they're not RPGs anymore.

What exactly defines an RPG?

Story choices and different endings? In that case, Mass Effect 2 would certainly qualify as RPG.

Is it creating your own character to follow any path you want? If so, even ME1 , which most people qualify as RPG, shouldn't be considered one.

Is it stats allocation and skill trees? In that case, would the likes of Path of Exile and Diablo be a "truer" RPG than ME2?

Or is it a combination of all above? ( Dark Souls, Morrowind... )

What makes a RPG, for you guys?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I am not sure if this is the right forum (legacy platforms).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Skyrim

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

But it's something we all discuss from time to time, and we all have differing opinions on what makes a Legacy game an RPG.

Story choices and different endings?

No. lots of Action-Adventure's and shooter's have story branches and multiple endings. The existence of which does not make the game a Roleplayer. Heck, you could even say Outrun has branches and multiple endings!

Is it stats allocation and skill trees?

No. Again, Action-Adventure's and shooters also have these functions ocassionally. And a large portion of RTS's have skill trees, and stat/resource allocation.

Is it creating your own character to follow any path you want?

Mostly this. While you're not always given the option of creating an entirely new character, the one you're given should be a 'base-model' for you to evolve and upgrade however you wish. Also the world in which your character develops should not be linear and existent solely because of the Primary quests/missions. Because you're supposed to be playing your own role, not watching the developer's idea of what you should be.

Admittedly i also fall into the laziness of referring to games as RPG's when they're not (Fantasy Action-Adventure's are most commonly misidentified), but it's almost an industry standard that swords and sorcery + levelling = RPG.

Levels are no different to Achievements, they give the player a sense of getting somewhere from the hours they're putting in, sometimes they offer rewards too.

Short version: A game that plonks you in the middle of a world/land, tells you who the next big-bad is, then leaves you to figure out how you're going to go about finding it, preparing yourself and where you're going to start looking; that's an RPG.

There aren't actually very many of them and it would be a niche-genre if it wasn't so misused.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

But it's something we all discuss from time to time, and we all have differing opinions on what makes a Legacy game an RPG.

Story choices and different endings?BarbaricAvatar

No. lots of Action-Adventure's and shooter's have story branches and multiple endings. The existence of which does not make the game a Roleplayer. Heck, you could even say Outrun has branches and multiple endings!

No. Again, Action-Adventure's and shooters also have these functions ocassionally. And a large portion of RTS's have skill trees, and stat/resource allocation.

Mostly this. While you're not always given the option of creating an entirely new character, the one you're given should be a 'base-model' for you to evolve and upgrade however you wish. Also the world in which your character develops should not be linear and existent solely because of the Primary quests/missions. Because you're supposed to be playing your own role, not watching the developer's idea of what you should be.

Admittedly i also fall into the laziness of referring to games as RPG's when they're not (Fantasy Action-Adventure's are most commonly misidentified), but it's almost an industry standard that swords and sorcery + levelling = RPG.

Levels are no different to Achievements, they give the player a sense of getting somewhere from the hours they're putting in, sometimes they offer rewards too.

Short version: A game that plonks you in the middle of a world/land, tells you who the next big-bad is, then leaves you to figure out how you're going to go about finding it, preparing yourself and where you're going to start looking; that's an RPG.

There aren't actually very many of them and it would be a niche-genre if it wasn't so misused.

What about the leveling and Upgrading ? Does that unbalance the game ? Or is satisfying the need for progression more important than fixing the design flaws ?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
And does RPG Even qualify as a Genre anymore ? Its more like a Formula now.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Story choices and different endings?Lulu_Lulu

What about the leveling and Upgrading ? Does that unbalance the game ? Or is satisfying the need for progression more important than fixing the design flaws ?

The leveling systems in a lot of rpgs, mostly Jrpgs but plenty of Wrpgs to, are broken. How EXP is supposed to work in an rpg is what you use and you get better at using it over time. If I kill 400 enemies with only my sword how does my magic go up? Upgrading isn't an RPG element, there are Rpgs where you can't upgrade at all.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Extra Credits did a great video series on this when they touched on the differences between J/WRGPs and the 'RPG' part.  I highly urge people to watch it as touches well on obscure concepts like abnegation. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="NationProtector"] The leveling systems in a lot of rpgs, mostly Jrpgs but plenty of Wrpgs to, are broken. How EXP is supposed to work in an rpg is what you use and you get better at using it over time. If I kill 400 enemies with only my sword how does my magic go up?

that and doing the same thing over and over again the same way, under the same circumstances still allows you to level up without having to actualy improve anything. [QUOTE="Nation Protector"] Upgrading isn't an RPG element, there are Rpgs where you can't upgrade at all.

I really want to Play an RPG Like that.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#10 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Well, a really high percentage of Gs have an R that you P so singling out what makes something part of the RPG genre is kind of difficult. I feel like it is a connection to tabletop role playing games (Dungeons & Dragons, etc.) that is really what defines the genre. I think of this mostly as being the ability to customize your character. Tabletop RPGs nearly always start w/ you building your character from scratch. You also level up based on experience and get to pick your own gear out of a wide variety of available (or potentially available) items. Skill trees and the like are all part of this customization.

This being said, in video games, games that diverge from the tabletop paradigm in very signifigant ways are still considered RPGs (esp. when it comes to older console-style RPGs). In lots of games that are considered classics, you don't really get to customize your main character at all before the game begins. You do most always get whole loads of customization options one the game begins though.

kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kai_311
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts
The key word is Role-Play... Its mostly associated with leveling up a character or building a character from scratch to someone that you want to be. That said you can also role-play on other games that gives you choices and freedom.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

To me, whether a game is an RPG is dependent on how much stats and character growth/customization matter. If stats and character growth/customization are just as important or more important than player skill, you're looking at an RPG.

For instance, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has stats, but it is not an RPG. Why? Because those stats don't really matter much. If your stats never increased, you would still be able to beat the game. In an RPG, you typically can't progress without increasing your stats.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

To me, whether a game is an RPG is dependent on how much stats and character growth/customization matter. If stats and character growth/customization are just as important or more important than player skill, you're looking at an RPG.

For instance, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has stats, but it is not an RPG. Why? Because those stats don't really matter much. If your stats never increased, you would still be able to beat the game. In an RPG, you typically can't progress without increasing your stats.

GreySeal9
Gonna go with this. Stat based character growth that stems from leveling up along with inventory management/customization is what I consider an RPG.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NationProtector
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

AcidSoldner
Gonna go with this. Stat based character growth that stems from leveling up along with inventory management/customization is what I consider an RPG.

So Adventure games are rpgs now?
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidSoldner
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

NationProtector

Can you elaborate on that? Adventure covers such a broad genre and cross-genre of games that it's hard to know what you're referring to. Got any specific examples?
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NationProtector
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Gonna go with this. Stat based character growth that stems from leveling up along with inventory management/customization is what I consider an RPG.

Can you elaborate on that? Adventure covers such a broad genre and cross-genre of games that it's hard to know what you're referring to. Got any specific examples?

Point and click.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="NationProtector"] So Adventure games are rpgs now?NationProtector

Point and click.

No. Unless you can give me a specific example of the genre that has both stat based character growth + inventory management/customization (which I stated in my original post).

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Can you elaborate on that? Adventure covers such a broad genre and cross-genre of games that it's hard to know what you're referring to. Got any specific examples?AcidSoldner

Point and click.

No. Unless you can give me a specific example of the genre that has both stat based character growth + inventory management/customization (which I stated in my original post).

So you're saying that the management system, that is the core of many adventure games that are point in click, do not count as inventory management? What point and clicks have you played?
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] Point and click.NationProtector

So you're saying that the management system, that is the core of many adventure games that are point in click, do not count as inventory management? What point and clicks have you played?

Reread my post.

I'm going to say this for a 3rd time: stat based character growth AND inventory management/customization. Not just one or the other, BOTH.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

To me the term RPG is more of a formality than anything. When someone says RPG, you usually think "levelling up, fighting monsters in a fantasy world, etc."

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]No. Unless you can give me a specific example of the genre that has both stat based character growth + inventory management/customization (which I stated in my original post).

AcidSoldner

Reread my post.

I'm going to say this for a 3rd time: stat based character growth AND inventory management/customization. Not just one or the other, BOTH.

So there are no stats in point and click adventure games? How many point and click games have you played?
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] So you're saying that the management system, that is the core of many adventure games that are point in click, do not count as inventory management? What point and clicks have you played? NationProtector

Reread my post.

So there are no stats in point and click adventure games? How many point and click games have you played?

My experience with the genre isn't as expansive as others but I have yet to play one that encompasses both of those as core features in the gameplay.

Let me break down my definitions for you:

Stat based character growth: Character growth determined by the gain of experience through either defeating enemies in combat and/or completing quests. "Leveling up" is a result of this in which the character is allocated stat points to various attributes either manually or automatically. Abilites and spells are also gaining through leveling up and are either gained automatically or chosen through some form/variation of a skill tree.

Inventory management/customization: Gathering of loot, items, and equipment through either combat or quests. Equipment custimization enhances the attributes and skills of said character.

If you can find me a point & click that meets those criteria, I'll retract my statements.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

GreySeal9
Lets go back to the inception of Video Games, back when everything was on pen and paper, back when there was an encounter the only way to gauge how good a character's abilities and how they grew was to use stats because magic isn't real and fighting with actual weapons would end with neighbours calling the cops. they didn't have a choice, so stats it was.

But now that RPG's are on a technological platform the can ,to some extent, simulate combat encounters in a more practical way, so theres no need for that stats & leveling anymore, the definition of an RPG is needs to evolve with the changing times, lest we wana still be using stats that are no longer a necessity in our Holographstation 2's in the future.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Reread my post.

AcidSoldner

My experience with the genre isn't as expansive as others but I have yet to play one that encompasses both of those as core features in the gameplay.

Stat based character growth: Character growth determined by the gain of experience through either defeating enemies in combat and/or completing quests. "Leveling up" is a result of this in which the character is allocated stat points to various attributes either manually or automatically. Abilites and spells are also gaining through leveling up and are either gained automatically or chosen through some form/variation of a skill tree.

Inventory management/customization: Gathering of loot, items, and equipment through either combat or quests. Equipment custimization enhances the attributes and skills of said character.

If you can find me a point & click that meets those criteria, I'll retract my statements.

are you breaking anything down? you asked that adventure games had both, I said how many you did not play, you said not very many, and now that translates to I don't understand what you're definitions mean? I don't see what you're trying to do here but make longer posts for no reason. Quest fo Glory, there's an example. Specifically the 4th game, since it's one of my favorites.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NationProtector
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Lulu_Lulu
Lets go back to the inception of Video Games, back when everything was on pen and paper, back when there was an encounter the only way to gauge how good a character's abilities and how they grew was to use stats because magic isn't real and fighting with actual weapons would end with neighbours calling the cops. they didn't have a choice, so stats it was.

But now that RPG's are on a technological platform the can ,to some extent, simulate combat encounters in a more practical way, so theres no need for that stats & leveling anymore, the definition of an RPG is needs to evolve with the changing times, lest we wana still be using stats that are no longer a necessity in our Holographstation 2's in the future.

We still have random battles with room transitions in 2013, You're going to have to wait a bit longer for Rpgs to not reply on things it does not need. Random battles with Room transitions was a 80's limitation that was also solved in the 80's but rpgs kept using them all the way till now,
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] So you're saying that the management system, that is the core of many adventure games that are point in click, do not count as inventory management? What point and clicks have you played? NationProtector

Reread my post.

What exactly do you mean by 'stats' in pointie clickies? I've played loads of them and have never encountered any with adjustable stats.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NationProtector

BarbaricAvatar

What exactly do you mean by 'stats' in pointie clickies? I've played loads of them and have never encountered any with adjustable stats.

You haven't played QUEST FOR GLORY??!?!?!?!?!!!?!!??!?!??!?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

NationProtector

We still have random battles with room transitions in 2013, You're going to have to wait a bit longer for Rpgs to not reply on things it does not need. Random battles with Room transitions was a 80's limitation that was also solved in the 80's but rpgs kept using them all the way till now,

True, but why should I wait longer ? I'm pretty sure with some creative modding one could balance out the combat in games like Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma, Bioshock and Mass Effect. Just to get rid of all the imbalance and BruteForce strategies.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] So there are no stats in point and click adventure games? How many point and click games have you played?NationProtector

are you breaking anything down? you asked that adventure games had both, I said how many you did not play, you said not very many, and now that translates to I don't understand what you're definitions mean? I don't see what you're trying to do here but make longer posts for no reason. Quest fo Glory, there's an example. Specifically the 4th game, since it's one of my favorites.

You simply stated point & click adventure games, which I assumed meant games like Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Siberia, and the like.

Quest for Glory series is specificall labled as an adventure game/role-playing video game hybrid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory_IV:_Shadows_of_Darkness

So yeah, that specific example is definitely an RPG. Point & click adventure games in general? No.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AcidSoldner

BarbaricAvatar

Apparently he's labeling Quest for Glory as all point & click adventure games...
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NationProtector
[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] So there are no stats in point and click adventure games? How many point and click games have you played?AcidSoldner

Apparently he's labeling Quest for Glory as all point & click adventure games...

You said give a game, not give multiple examples. So i see you were trolling me the whole time. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidSoldner
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

NationProtector

You said give a game, not give multiple examples. So i see you were trolling me the whole time. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

One example doesn't encompass an entire genre, especially one specifically labeled as a hybrid.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NationProtector

[QUOTE="NationProtector"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

AcidSoldner

You simply stated point & click adventure games, which I assumed meant games like Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Siberia, and the like.

Quest for Glory series is specificall labled as an adventure game/role-playing video game hybrid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Glory_IV:_Shadows_of_Darkness

So yeah, that specific example is definitely an RPG. Point & click adventure games in general? No.

Oh, now hybrids don't count ok.... Hold on i'll make a list.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AcidSoldner
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"] are you breaking anything down? you asked that adventure games had both, I said how many you did not play, you said not very many, and now that translates to I don't understand what you're definitions mean? I don't see what you're trying to do here but make longer posts for no reason. Quest fo Glory, there's an example. Specifically the 4th game, since it's one of my favorites.NationProtector

Oh, now hybrids don't count ok.... Hold on i'll make a list.

Not for the specific genre of point & click adventures games as a whole. That's like saying all shooters like Rainbow Six and Halo are RPGs because Borderlands is a Shooter/RPG hybrid.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BarbaricAvatar

The Longest Journey

Monkey Island 1, 2, 3

Syberia 1, 2

Full Throttle

Simon the Sorceror 1, 2

The Dig

Machinarium

Day of the Tentacle

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Beneath a Steel Sky

Flight of the Amazon Queen

-

None of these have stats or anything resembling stats. And are definitely not roleplaying with any stretch of the imagination.

NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NationProtector
DragonSphere Dreamweb Glass Rose Elviria Innocent until caught Guilty Harvester Hell: a Cyberpunk thriller KGB are a few.
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NationProtector

The Longest Journey

Monkey Island 1, 2, 3

Syberia 1, 2

Full Throttle

Simon the Sorceror 1, 2

The Dig

Machinarium

Day of the Tentacle

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Beneath a Steel Sky

-

None of these have stats or anything resembling stats. And are definitely not roleplaying with any stretch of the imagination.

BarbaricAvatar
I don't remember naming those games.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

The Longest Journey

Monkey Island 1, 2, 3

Syberia 1, 2

Full Throttle

Simon the Sorceror 1, 2

The Dig

Machinarium

Day of the Tentacle

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Beneath a Steel Sky

-

NationProtector

I don't remember naming those games.

Of course not because they're Point 'n Click games. I don't know what the list of games you've named are but i've never heard of the majority of them despite my great interest in the genre. So they're most likely not. ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu
I agree with the concept of Adventure games with interactive plots qualifying as Role Playing Games, why is it this makes much more sense than traditional RPG's do ?
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
It's been a long time since legit RPGs have been around. It's all action adventure, adventure, or visual novel games with rpgs coats on.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Oh boy, I don't think I've seen seen a more adamant disagreement on a subject on this message board. This isn't gonna be a pretty thread.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I think the main requirements of an RPG are that they have to be heavily story based, and you also have to be able to level up your characters and use magic! Also they need to contain wierd monsters like orcs, goblins or dragons or whatever. I dont particularly like the RPG genre apart from some WPRGS like Skyrim but I guess we all have our own tastes!

beckyolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 beckyolt
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

Wouldn't that definition disqualify games like The Witcher 2 as RPGs then?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#44 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

DragonSphere
Dreamweb
Glass Rose
Elviria
Innocent until caught
Guilty
Harvester
Hell: a Cyberpunk thriller
KGB

are a few.NationProtector

The only game from that list I've played is Glass Rose, and I don't remember it having any RPG-like stats.

juriden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 juriden
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think the main requirements of an RPG are that they have to be heavily story based, and you also have to be able to level up your characters and use magic! Also they need to contain wierd monsters like orcs, goblins or dragons or whatever. I dont particularly like the RPG genre apart from some WPRGS like Skyrim but I guess we all have our own tastes!

I-AM-N00B

Although alot of the Rpg games contains magic, dwarf, elfs and some sort of version of Tolkien's "Lord of the rings" , that does not mean that this has to be the only Rpg requirement. You can easily have a Rpg that is set in our reality, or AU, or space. As long as you get to define and play a role without to much interferrence from the game developer. Player agency is the most important in an rpg imho.

I agree that there has to be  a focus on story and also the npc characters. The world around you should react to your characters choices and actions.

brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts
I haven't read the whole thread but I define RPGs as games where you have a character who progressively levels up and gets stronger by gaining experience points. You can also customize the characters traits how you want as you level up. JRPGs (Japanese RPGs) are usually more linear with more emphasise on story. Other characteristics include party based systems and turn based battles to gain xp. WRPGs (Western RPGs) are usually less linear and more open world type concept. This leads to a less unified story or more storylines to follow. Battles are usually in real time and there is usually no party system. A lot of WRPGs are even played in first person perspective.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Linear or open, an RPG is defined by giving a large amount of freedom to how a player may accomplish the goals at hand. Just my opinion.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Oh boy, I don't think I've seen seen a more adamant disagreement on a subject on this message board. This isn't gonna be a pretty thread.

Emerald_Warrior

It got pretty nasty when we were arguing over shmups back in January.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
[QUOTE="brentendo3"]I haven't read the whole thread but I define RPGs as games where you have a character who progressively levels up and gets stronger by gaining experience points. You can also customize the characters traits how you want as you level up. JRPGs (Japanese RPGs) are usually more linear with more emphasise on story. Other characteristics include party based systems and turn based battles to gain xp. WRPGs (Western RPGs) are usually less linear and more open world type concept. This leads to a less unified story or more storylines to follow. Battles are usually in real time and there is usually no party system. A lot of WRPGs are even played in first person perspective.

Have you played Wrpgs before? Party systems are all over the place. Also, there are plenty of TB Wrpgs as well, although they involve a more custom battle with EXP that make a bit more sense, and usually have the enemies on the screen to fight instead of having to have them appear out of nowhere.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

People need to stop holding on to the past, and their little definition of what an RPG was to them at a certain time. To some it's a D&D-based game, to others it's a JRPG, and others accept action-RPGs. And then there's even strategy-RPGs.

They're all RPGs. The RPG genre, like anything else, has evolved and expanded over the years. That's why we have all these different sub-genres of RPG out there.