Ubisoft Diverting Wii Profit into 360 and PS3 budgets

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

As long as Ubisoft keeps pumping out quality games on the XB360 and the PS3, why should I care?

It's not like I bought the Wii for third party games.

Some people seem to think just because Nintendo lowered the tech bar that everyone elseis going to follow their lead. As it turns out, Ubisoft is banking on casual consumption to make them a quick buckto financereal games for the other consoles.

If the strategy works, power to them.

Grammaton-Cleric
I agree that I dont have a Wii for the third party games either to be honest, but don't you think that the system could be SO much more if third partys took it seriously and made good games, instead of OMFG TEH CAZUALZ $$$
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

As long as Ubisoft keeps pumping out quality games on the XB360 and the PS3, why should I care?

Some people seem to think just because Nintendo lowered the tech bar that everyone elseis going to follow their lead. As it turns out, Ubisoft is banking on casual consumption to make them a quick buckto financereal games for the other consoles.

GodModeEnabled
I agree that I dont have a Wii for the third party games either to be honest, but don't you think that the system could be SO much more if third partys took it seriously and made good games, instead of OMFG TEH CAZUALZ $$$

My thoughts exactly.
TenaciousD29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 TenaciousD29
Member since 2006 • 666 Posts
Wii owners are obviously setting the standard for buying their "crap". They are making a profit on it afterall. I see no need to look down upon them for providing it, unless, of course, you are also mad at Nintendo for unleashing that steaming pile of turd called Mario Party 8 into the loving arms of Wii owners everywhere because they knew it would sell and sell it did. No double standards and all that.
TenaciousD29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TenaciousD29
Member since 2006 • 666 Posts
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

GodModeEnabled

When people are buying this console enmass because of a mini game, I don't see how anything else should've been expected.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

GodModeEnabled

Not really.

Nintendo wanted a casual console and for the last few months Nintendophiles have been prancing around these forums declaringthe big Nthe brilliant winner of this console war because the casual market is buying the Wii at an alarming rate. The success of this system is being buoyed by people who obviously have no real concern regarding the quality of the games on theconsole so ultimately Ubisoft is playing the game as laid out by consumers. If they'll buy crap, why make an effort?

As for the potential of the Wii, I think it has the least of the three consoles. Like the Cube before it, I anticipate a smattering of quality games and little else but casual, party/mini game fodder. The technical weakness of the Wiiis becoming very apparent as this current generation progresses but I'm content with those few great exclusives as I have the XB360 and PS3 to fill in those sizeable gaps in between Wii AAA releases.

I've always said the Wii is a third tier system and unfortunately Nintendo built it to be that way. While the VC is an awesome addition and caters to the hardcore crowd, most of everything else about the Wii is casual-friendly and I agree with Carnage who theorized that games like MP3 will become less frequent as the casual market continues to become a priority.

And again, why should I care? I certainly don't want to play games like Assassin's Creed and the new Splinter Cell on the Wii so I'm content to let Ubisoft bleed Wii consumers of cash that can be funneled back into making real games.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

My theory behind Nintendo's showing at E3 is based on the fact that most mainstream media sources were going to focus on the press conference, and since the largest number of non-gaming community readers are derived in those sources, Nintendo was going to give news that was more relevent to that crowd, since Miyamoto flat out said himself that E3 as an event for unveiling information to more traditional gamers is basically not as important anymore due to the advent of things on the internet, as well as other events. As a result, it's not surprising that Nintendo's press conference was held in better regard by a number of mainstream media sources, as it was more catered to them then what MS and Sony did for their conferences.

And Ubisoft is really not following Nintendo's lead here, given how grossly misbalanced the library is that they're putting out. Ubisoft really demonstrates the gross extreme of how one approaches more casual/non gamer products, buy flat out ignoring/abandoning most efforts to do anything for traditional gamers in the process. Nintendo has their own traditional games that they still continue to support other companies under their wings that will be building more traditional games (Like Monolith Soft and Cing, for example).

Skylock00

Actually, I should clarify that I didn't mean to write that Wii fit was the sole focus of their E3. In fact, I remember thinking, "that's not what I want to say, so don't write it,"...then I go on to write it.

Anyway, I do agree that there is some truth that Nintendo focused their E3 on the mainstream press, and in a business sense, it was a very good idea. I don't know how to quite explain what I'm thinking right now, but it seems like Nintendo hasn't pushed in the other direction hard enough. Like, ok, E3 is for casuals....where's an event/some kind of showcase to invite the gaming press to push the more hardcore leanings of the system? I don't know if that's quite clear, but it seems like Nintendo hasn't balanced the issue very well...unless the skeptics/critics are right and they've decided to focus on the non-gamer.

And I do agree with your point about the gross extremes of making and selling casual products- perhaps there's some market research done that I'm unaware of that shows that it's the most profitable way of selling an item, but I don't believe it right now.

Where I disagree with you is the idea that Nintendo is balanced, and therefore companies like Ubi should provide a balance. Here's the problem...everyone is saying, "Look at the Wii's success, it's going to be just like the DS." Well what kinds of games sell buttloads on the DS? Many of them are quite casual. So I believe there's an expectation by developers that people who like the DS are going to buy the Wii and therefore need to provide similar content. This is being made worse by Nintendo not achieving a balance in rhetoric- while they may have a reasonably balanced lineup, they mostly talk about the non-gamer. If third parties believe that Nintendo is marketing the console towards them mostly, most of their efforts are going to be at non-gamer games.

And I just realized that I have about 3 hours before I have to wake up and do 26 hours of airports and flying....so this post was probably not only a little non-sensical, but just a bad idea at this time.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Not really.

Nintendo wanted a casual console and for the last few months Nintendophiles have been prancing around these forums declaringthe big Nthe brilliant winner of this console war because the casual market is buying the Wii at an alarming rate. The success of this system is being buoyed by people who obviously have no real concern regarding the quality of the games on theconsole so ultimately Ubisoft is playing the game as laid out by consumers. If they'll buy crap, why make an effort?

As for the potential of the Wii, I think it has the least of the three consoles. Like the Cube before it, I anticipate a smattering of quality games and little else but casual, party/mini game fodder. The technical weakness of the Wiiis becoming very apparent as this current generation progresses but I'm content with those few great exclusives as I have the XB360 and PS3 to fill in those sizeable gaps in between Wii AAA releases.

I've always said the Wii is a third tier system and unfortunately Nintendo built it to be that way. While the VC is an awesome addition and caters to the hardcore crowd, most of everything else about the Wii is casual-friendly and I agree with Carnage who theorized that games like MP3 will become less frequent as the casual market continues to become a priority.

And again, why should I care? I certainly don't want to play games like Assassin's Creed and the new Splinter Cell on the Wii so I'm content to let Ubisoft bleed Wii consumers of cash that can be funneled back into making real games.

Nintendo may have wanted a casual console but they never said anything about abandoning traditional games, I think they have a strong lineup for the holidays but im concerned about next year. You say it has the least potential of all the consoles and will be like the gamecube..well maybe so. But. You just proved my point. The cube tanked because of lack of third party support, Nintendo didn't have the strength to go the distance by themselves, they needed the third party support. Same thing is happening here, with third partys pissing all over the hardcore fanbase and raking in cash hand over fist from the soccer moms and grandparents it will lead to the big downward spiral of GC territory until the third partys start to take it seriously. This is how and why their support is so important and how the system could be so much more with everyones full support.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I wouldn't mind if third-party developers have this mentality like Ubisoft as long as they take the Wii seriously while doing so. If they do that then I don't mind at all. But if they dish out crap just to make money, than I have a problem. What they'll do is overflood the market which always turns out bad whenever that happens.

For example, I commend Square-Enix and what they have been doing with the Wii and the DS. Their remakes for Final Fantasy III and IV look astounding for the system and their Wii titles such as FF Crystal Chronicles and Dragon Quest Swords aren't half-baked products either.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

My theory behind Nintendo's showing at E3 is based on the fact that most mainstream media sources were going to focus on the press conference, and since the largest number of non-gaming community readers are derived in those sources, Nintendo was going to give news that was more relevent to that crowd, since Miyamoto flat out said himself that E3 as an event for unveiling information to more traditional gamers is basically not as important anymore due to the advent of things on the internet, as well as other events. As a result, it's not surprising that Nintendo's press conference was held in better regard by a number of mainstream media sources, as it was more catered to them then what MS and Sony did for their conferences.

And Ubisoft is really not following Nintendo's lead here, given how grossly misbalanced the library is that they're putting out. Ubisoft really demonstrates the gross extreme of how one approaches more casual/non gamer products, buy flat out ignoring/abandoning most efforts to do anything for traditional gamers in the process. Nintendo has their own traditional games that they still continue to support other companies under their wings that will be building more traditional games (Like Monolith Soft and Cing, for example).

Skylock00

Actually, they are. Nintendo is treating the Wii like the GC2 (Zelda, Mario, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Metroid, Pokemon, SSBM, etc) and so is Ubisoft. With a couple of exceptions 3rd parties had very little luck selling games on the GC so signalling to the world that the Wii is the GC2 in terms of the tastes for hardcore games of its owners was/is a great way to cause them to steer clear of the system.

As for Monolith and Cing, if they strike oil with original hardcore games (I haven't heard much about Disaster Day of Crisis in the past year but the now ancient trailer looked interesting), I am sure that third parties (who aren't big believers in leaving money on the table) will rush in with quality hardcore games. But if they wind up being this generation's Silicon Knights or Rare (though to be honest the quality of Rare's GC work was pretty low) in terms of commercial success, I expect Ubisoft and others will continue to focus on casual games.

Lastly, like I said before, given its profitability, Nintendo could be a lot more aggressive about using their money to plug holes in the Wii's line-up (given how massively popular first person shooters are, why not pick up a team just to make pure first person shooters?).

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Wii owners are obviously setting the standard for buying their "crap". They are making a profit on it afterall. I see no need to look down upon them for providing it, unless, of course, you are also mad at Nintendo for unleashing that steaming pile of turd called Mario Party 8 into the loving arms of Wii owners everywhere because they knew it would sell and sell it did. No double standards and all that.TenaciousD29

Bang. Right on the head.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Actually, they are. Nintendo is treating the Wii like the GC2 (Zelda, Mario, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Metroid, Pokemon, SSBM, etc) and so is Ubisoft.CarnageHeart
Ubisoft isn't even treating it like the GC2, because their software lineup for the GC wasn't even close to as low balled as they have now.

Nintendo is at least still making a reasonable amount of traditional games in addition to more casual fare for the rest of this year and the beginning of next year. Looking at the release chart posted a page or so ago, Ubisoft isn't really making any traditional games at all aside from MoH and possibly Nitrobike. They are simply not following in Nintendo's lead, at all.

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts

[QUOTE="TenaciousD29"]Wii owners are obviously setting the standard for buying their "crap". They are making a profit on it afterall. I see no need to look down upon them for providing it, unless, of course, you are also mad at Nintendo for unleashing that steaming pile of turd called Mario Party 8 into the loving arms of Wii owners everywhere because they knew it would sell and sell it did. No double standards and all that.nopalversion

Bang. Right on the head.

Exactly
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rragnaar
[QUOTE="nopalversion"]

[QUOTE="TenaciousD29"]Wii owners are obviously setting the standard for buying their "crap". They are making a profit on it afterall. I see no need to look down upon them for providing it, unless, of course, you are also mad at Nintendo for unleashing that steaming pile of turd called Mario Party 8 into the loving arms of Wii owners everywhere because they knew it would sell and sell it did. No double standards and all that.hair001

Bang. Right on the head.

Exactly

Not exactly... I haven't bought a single piece of first or third party shovelware for the Wii, and I doubt you will find any other Wii owners here who have.  Just because soccer moms and their kids by some junk software doesn't mean that that is representative of all Wii owners.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rragnaar

Remember how bad those Cruisin' screenshots were from last week. They look pretty good in comparison to this. Shovelware to the max!

http://wiiz.fr/article.php?a=13273

SolidSnaku401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SolidSnaku401
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
Who knows.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#67 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
shows what they really think of the wii. they dont support it but they like sucking money from it
monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

shows what they really think of the wii. they dont support it but they like sucking money from itDevouring_One

they are supporting it, they are selling millions on the Wii.... why on earth are they going to change that?

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hair001
[QUOTE="hair001"][QUOTE="nopalversion"]

[QUOTE="TenaciousD29"]Wii owners are obviously setting the standard for buying their "crap". They are making a profit on it afterall. I see no need to look down upon them for providing it, unless, of course, you are also mad at Nintendo for unleashing that steaming pile of turd called Mario Party 8 into the loving arms of Wii owners everywhere because they knew it would sell and sell it did. No double standards and all that.rragnaar

Bang. Right on the head.

Exactly

Not exactly... I haven't bought a single piece of first or third party shovelware for the Wii, and I doubt you will find any other Wii owners here who have. Just because soccer moms and their kids by some junk software doesn't mean that that is representative of all Wii owners.

But then again Ubi don't make all their games for you. If there are 2 audeinces, 1 where crap sells and 1 where they have to make an effort, where do you think the games will go?
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 hair001
I understand that people are little bemused as to why Ubisoft arn't making high quality Wii games with the profit (it might be mre profitable than their 360 projects or their current Wii lineup) but it is a risk, and when what they do sells so well, why take the risk. Plus I don't understand this notion that 3rd partys somehow owe a platform good games. They will make what makes them money, be that good games on 360/PS3, or crap on Wii. As allways market forces dictate
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#71 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]Actually, they are. Nintendo is treating the Wii like the GC2 (Zelda, Mario, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Mario Kart, Metroid, Pokemon, SSBM, etc) and so is Ubisoft.Skylock00

Ubisoft isn't even treating it like the GC2, because their software lineup for the GC wasn't even close to as low balled as they have now.

Nintendo is at least still making a reasonable amount of traditional games in addition to more casual fare for the rest of this year and the beginning of next year. Looking at the release chart posted a page or so ago, Ubisoft isn't really making any traditional games at all aside from MoH and possibly Nitrobike. They are simply not following in Nintendo's lead, at all.

Funny thing that UbiSoft is one of the devs who are most supporting the Wii,plus other Companys do the same even without saying it to the public.Why?Because the Wii had a nice idea,millions of sold consoles but due to the low technical performance they can´t get any further or at least can´t make the games the way they want.And after all people buying crap and pay full price for games who are just minigames on other consoles or you can play online for free (like the Brain Academy-Stuff).

As long as customers buy crappy Wii-games they won´t stop.No one will.But the "Casual Gamers" and "Soccer Moms" will buy it even in the future,because they have no clue about that.Commercials say the game is good,so they buy it.Nintendo has still the trust of the parents on their sides.

And a few weeks ago someone asked me where I see the connection to the N64...self explaining.

crazyorloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 crazyorloco
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
This old thread makes sense now. :( Damn Ubisoft.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 rragnaar

This old thread makes sense now. :( Damn Ubisoft.crazyorloco

Don't bump old threads, especially if you aren't going to say anything that adds to the discussion.