Ubisoft Diverting Wii Profit into 360 and PS3 budgets

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

EDIT:

Original Reuters article:

Ubisoft, known for its realistic military games, on Wednesday announced a new title in its "Games for Everyone" range. "Cranium Kabookii", based on the award-winning board game Cranium, will be made for Nintendo's Wii console and is slated for a December release.

Guillemot said the company's casual games business was "extremely profitable" and helped to finance the initially costly development of games for next-generation consoles -- Sony's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation3 and Microsoft's (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Xbox 360.

According to the Ubisoft CEO, developing a casual game costs anywhere between 1 million to 4 million euros depending on the number of platforms with which it is compatible.

By comparison, a normal game developed for the Wii costs 5 million to 10 million, and one designed for use with the PlayStation3 and Xbox 360 10 million to 20 million euros.

Casual games are expected to contribute 20 percent of Ubisoft's revenue this year, up from 10 percent last year, Guillemot said. Ubisoft has forecast revenues of about 825 million euros for its financial year until March 2008.

Reuters

You can easily read between the lines , what systems does Ubisoft publish casual games for? Wii/DS/PC, look at Ubicraps line-up for Wii and DS compared to its 360 and PS3 projects and you can clearly see which console is getting the shaft. And you can easily see Ubicraps priorities and general lack of effort.

link

Ubi's casual Wii games fund 360 and PS3 development

August 26, 2007 - The development and subsequent sales success of casual games on Nintendo's Wii and DS is an "extremely profitable" business for Ubisoft, according to the company's CEO Yves Guillemot, who told Reuters at the Games Convention in Leipzig last week that these games help to finance the costly development of games for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Guillemot explained that the development of casual games costs anywhere from 1 million euros to 4 million, depending on how many platforms they're being created for. By comparison, a normal Wii game costs about 5 to 10 million euros, while an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 one costs from 10 million to 20 million.

Casual games are expected to contribute 20% of Ubisoft's revenue this year, which is up 10% on last year. Meanwhile, the entire games industry is attracting many more customers which are, according to Guillemot, "going to grow the market tremendously. I expect the market to grow by 50 percent in the next four years," he said, concluding, "It's a very exciting time for all the developers and publishers."

article

:? ........ :| ............ :P ....... :evil: ......... :question: ....... :idea: .......... :roll: ........ :o ........ :lol:

Bwahahahahahahahaha you've got to be kidding me :lol:

OMG this company has no shame. I guess casual games aren't killing the industry at all kids, they're actually funding your megabudget games. :P So the next time you look at Ubicraps lineup of Horses 2, My Word Coach and Cranium Kabuki, think of how they're funding Splinter Cell 6 and Prince of Persia 4.

Ubisoft am cry and must die. Seriously these guys should be freaking banned from making wii games. :P How about using some of that profit to make some you know, half decent wii games?

Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

I seem to recall one of the 1UP guys having a theory about this...

Then again, Ubisoft are also the idiots that said that the latest Splinter Cell can't be done on the PS3, which is the stupdiest thing I've heard a developer say in a LONG time..

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Didn't Ubisoft make a promise that they'll start making quality Wii games instead of cheap ports or half-baked products?

Have they been following on that promise or no?

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

Didn't Ubisoft make a promise that they'll start making quality Wii games instead of cheap ports or half-baked products?

ASK_Story

I can sum it up in one big highlighted word:

NO

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7521 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

bc1391

I can sum it up in one big highlighted word:

NO

Eh. If Raving Rabbids 2 receives a lot more pollish then the first, I'll be inclined to believe they want to do a better job at 'casual games'. If not... They can burn.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gaminggeek

ASK_Story

Hmmm let's see :lol:

No word on Red Steel 2 except some maniac retailer claiming the game is out come November. Rayman 2 looks pretty good, for a party game fest although most people would want a solid platformer.

And the rest? Eh..

Horsez 2

My Word Coach

Cranium Kabuki

Meh, I suppose Nitrobike looks good, but Ubisoft isn't even developing it, Leftfield is. So Ubisoft has exactly 2% effort going into any wii games and all of that into Rayman rabbids 2.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

You were right GG, Ubi has no shame and must die. It's not bad enough they're doing this, they think it's worth boasting about and exclaming about how exciting a time it is.

''Yes there are those idiots who keep buying all the trash we release on Wii which costs us next to nothing to produce so we get the money to create decent games ... FOR OTHER SYSTEMS (which might or might not make money for us) ... this is a really exciting time''

What is Michel Ancel still doing with them?

Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts
Hey they generally lose money on those big next-gen games even if they sold very well. Actual profits needed to fund those money-losing games has to come from somewhere.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gaminggeek

It's so weird, it's like a basic acknowledgement that these high budget games can't sustain themselves on their own merits. Rather than taking that casual gaming money to make better Wii projects, they're using the console like some drugged up hooker to pimp out their own lavish, unsustainable lifestyle in another part of town. After Ubisofts launch lineup which was so widely trumpeted by business media all about how Ubisoft got it right and how eagle eyed they were in supporting the Wii early on. After Guillemots admission of poor quality games and a promise to improve things, after his assertion that there were many original IP projects coming to wii...... the resulting mess is cranium kabooki and Horsez 2 and a diverting of funds from these travasty games to other systems. W.T.F

I started calling Ubisoft, Ubiport since last November and now I like to refer to them as Ubicrap.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
so whats the problem?, the wii like it or not has that huge casual market and expect companies to capitalize on that."but but its crap" well these games arent intended for you obviously therefore dont appeal to you.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I can think of a whole bunch of words to stick on the end of "Ubi" unfortunately this is a family friendly website and mummies and daddys all over the world will cry if I post my thoughts on this here :P
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
I doubt they fund the bigger games, the Tom Clancy franchise sells huge on 360
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bugsonglass

so whats the problem?, the wii like it or not has that huge casual market and expect companies to capitalize on that."but but its crap" well these games arent intended for you obviously therefore dont appeal to you.monie11k

The problem is that when a company makes money from the public of a console, it would seem courteous to invest some of that money in creating better projects for said console. Not take that profit to fund games for other consoles which though more ambitious, can't actually pay for themselves. This is the problem. And also that they have previously acknowledged that they released a lot of trash on the system and promised better things because of the success they had on the system.

Read GG's whore metaphor, it makes sense

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bugsonglass

I doubt they fund the bigger games, the Tom Clancy franchise sells huge on 360hair001

You know it's not the most honourable thing to admit to, so why do it if it's not true? Evidently Tom Clancy doesn't sell huge enough on the 360...

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
If that's what it takes to produce games like Rainbow Six Vegas and Assassin's Creed then I'm all for it. To be realistic the Wii wouldn't be capable of these games, you have to wonder why any business would care about anything besides money though.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

gaminggeek

Hmmm let's see :lol:

No word on Red Steel 2 except some maniac retailer claiming the game is out come November. Rayman 2 looks pretty good, for a party game fest although most people would want a solid platformer.

And the rest? Eh..

Horsez 2

Ooo, Ooo! Horses! Are those actual screens? Those look AWESOME!!!

....for my four year old niece. :P

Well, let's see how Ubi lives up to their promises. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 looks like they're heading in the right path, with the exclusitivity and all...but let's see what else they come up with.

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hair001
And also where do you think they got the money to make the casual games in the first place? Oh right, from the hardcore games profits. They are jst spending their money, some of which, comes from casual games. Now if they were saying they used the casual profits to fund unprofitable hardcore games than that would be an issue, or rather, just poor decision making on Ubisoft's part
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="monie11k"]so whats the problem?, the wii like it or not has that huge casual market and expect companies to capitalize on that."but but its crap" well these games arent intended for you obviously therefore dont appeal to you.bugsonglass

The problem is that when a company makes money from the public of a console, it would seem courteous to invest some of that money in creating better projects for said console. Not take that profit to fund games for other consoles which though more ambitious, can't actually pay for themselves. This is the problem. And also that they have previously acknowledged that they released a lot of trash on the system and promised better things because of the success they had on the system.

Read GG's whore metaphor, it makes sense

I don't claim special insight into Ubisoft's profits/revenues but a game can't pay for itself until its released. As for Ubisoft's past next-gen games, not making enough to fund every game in the pipeline isn't necessarily the same as not making money. If I invest $200 in a game and make $300, I don't have enough money for five more two hundred dollar games, even though assuming they all were as profitable as the first, five more games would be a good investment.

As for all casual games being trash, I don't have much respect for the genre because it is so alien to me, but I acknowledge the fact that there are such animals as good casual games and bad casual games, even though I am unable to distinguish between the two. Perhaps the casual games Ubisoft has in the pipeline for the Wii will be better than the casual games they released in the past?

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gaminggeek

And also where do you think they got the money to make the casual games in the first place? Oh right, from the hardcore games profits. They are jst spending their money, some of which, comes from casual games. Now if they were saying they used the casual profits to fund unprofitable hardcore games than that would be an issue, or rather, just poor decision making on Ubisoft's parthair001

I think you're missing the bigger picture here, they're screwing over one sub-set of consumers to the benefit of another set. What if the shoe were on the other foot? The casual crap Ubisoft is opting to make (and lets not make any bones about it, bar Rayman they are crap on Ubisofts part) cost relative pennies to make and are probably just small chunks of diverted revenue. If large PS3/360 projects are so expensive to make that they actually require subsidising from profit hungry throwaways then this magical self beneficial relationshipwould not sustain itself in the way you imagine.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, if they really need more money to come up with stuff like Assassin, Haze and SC 6, then they have to get it from somewhere. The funds are not used to improve gameplay per se, so the fact that Ubisoft Wii output is crap, doesn't have much to do with the amount of cash invrested in Wii development. It's just that they don't need as much money to develop for it. Isn't that supposed to be one of the system's greatest strengths?
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Well, if they really need more money to come up with stuff like Assassin, Haze and SC 6, then they have to get them from somewhere. The funds are not used to improve gameplay per se, so the fact that Ubisoft Wii output is crap, doesn't have much to do with the amount of cash invrested in Wii development. It's just that they don't need as much money to develop for it. Isn't that supposed to be one of the system's greatest strengths?nopalversion
I think people are having more issue with the notion that execs from Ubisoft more or less apologized for lack of quality in their launch titles for the Wii, and were planning on giving stronger quality and games on the platform...only to actually respond with this sort of action, where the Wii's only purpose seems to be to act as a way to fund projects on the 360/PS3 for them.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, there's always the possibility that they can't produce better games due to lack of talent.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gaminggeek

Well, there's always the possibility that they can't produce better games due to lack of talent.nopalversion

It's not talent they lack, it's commitment to delivering a decent product, at least when it comes to a certain subset of consumers. They're using the wii as some sort of prostitute at the moment and I've seen many PS3 owners complaining about poor ports of their games. But at least they get those franchises in the first place.

Look at Ubisofts lineup on Nintendo systems at the moment:

* Cosmic Family (Wii) - 31st August, 2007

* Scrabble 2007 New Edition (NDS) - September 2007

* Jam Sessions (NDS) - September 2007

* Imagine Happy Cooking - October 2007

* Dogz 2008 (NDS) - October 2007

* Pippa Funnell 2 (NDS) - October 2007

* Pippa Funnell (Wii) - October 2007

* Dolphin Island (NDS) - October 2007

* Imagine Fashion Designer (NDS) - October 2007

* Imagine Pet Vet (NDS) - October 2007

* Totally Spies! 3: Secret Agents (NDS) - October 2007

* Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (Wii) - 23rd November, 2007

* Nitrobike (Wii) - 23rd November, 2007

* CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Hard Evidence (Wii) - 23rd November, 2007

* CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Dark Motives (NDS) - 23rd November, 2007

* My Word Coach (NDS) - November 2007

* My Word Coach (Wii) - November 2007

* Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii) - November 2007

* Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (NDS) - November 2007

* Imagine Babies (NDS) - November 2007

* Hamsterz 2 (NDS) - November 2007

* My French Coach (NDS) - November 2007

* My French Coach (Wii) - November 2007

* My Spanish Coach (NDS) - November 2007

* My Spanish Coach (Wii) - November 2007

* Top Trumps: Horror & Predators (NDS) - December 2007

* Top Trumps: Dogs & Dinosaurs (NDS) - December 2007

* My Life Coach (NDS) - Q4 2007

Bearing in mind that Brothers in Arms is a portof anold game and that Nitrobike isdeveloped by Leftfield....

It's atrocious. It's not like a small casual focused publisher like Majesco or something. With them it's quite clear as you can just look over and see what they are offering on one system opposed to another. For all the positive talk from Guillemot and co on Wii or DS, what they are delivering is trite. I see no increased commitment, I see no increased quality, I see no games to be excited about bar one.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Wow that is dirty, the Wii NEEDS strong third party support going into next year, not this crap. If it says Ubisoft on the box and its a Wii game I will at best urinate all over it and mail it too the head of Ubisoft. Oh well I love their 360 games so whatever, sucks that the Wii is being seen as a joke system though. GG may call them Ubicrap, but I hereby dub them Ubiwhore.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I wish Ubisoft would think to themselves... "If we make a lot of profit off of crappy Wii games, what would happen if we made some good ones?" It bothers me that this is the kind of 'increased third party support' Nintendo is getting. Outside of the big Nintendo releases when I look at an upcoming Wii release schedule I'm blinded by all of the games based off of Nickelodeon shows, and Saturday morning cartoon crap. Manhunt is too bloody for my taste, but god bless Rockstar for taking the system seriously.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Why is this a surprise to everyone? Not to intentionally engage in potential System Wars rhetoric, but this is one of the risks that Nintendo took when they conceived their strategy with the Wii and its coming back to bite them.

How much longer until the Wii becomes the official home of third party afterthoughts and all minigames while Nintendo's competitors see the lion's share of quality third party titles? I doubt Ubi Soft will be the last vendor who utilizes this business model for next-gen game development.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bugsonglass

Why is this a surprise to everyone? Not to intentionally engage in potential System Wars rhetoric, but this is one of the risks that Nintendo took when they conceived their strategy with the Wii and its coming back to bite them.

How much longer until the Wii becomes the official home of third party afterthoughts and all minigames while Nintendo's competitors see the lion's share of quality third party titles? I doubt Ubi Soft will be the last vendor who utilizes this business model for next-gen game development.

MarcusAntonius

So according to you the Wii by nature cannot house decent games and Nintendo brought this on themselves. I fail to see your reasoning, especially when there are games that prove you wrong (Trauma Centre, Elebits, and many forthcoming ones).

I frankly don't understand how you can justify Ubisoft's attitude and blame it on Nintendo. Perhaps it's more wishful thinking on your behalf than anything else.

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts

This is shocking, not because it is true, but beause they admit it.

We all knew that developers were doing this with the wii, but to admit it is shocking.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

bugsonglass

So according to you the Wii by nature cannot house decent games and Nintendo brought this on themselves. I fail to see your reasoning, especially when there are games that prove you wrong (Trauma Centre, Elebits, and many forthcoming ones).

I frankly don't understand how you can justify Ubisoft's attitude and blame it on Nintendo. Perhaps it's more wishful thinking on your behalf than anything else.

How can it be wishful thinking if its reality? Wishful thinking in this case is to pretend that it isn't going on. The games you mention have nothing to do with what I said. You have proven nothing.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Skylock00

Also rememebr that this is what Nintnedo wanted, a system that's appealing to casual gamers and so guess what you get...........a lot of games for casual gamers.

yomi_basic

Well, there's a difference, at least to me, between trying to expand the user base beyond a traditional gamer base into a more casual base (which means developing casual games alongside traditional ones on a platform), and coming off as if you are abandoning attempts at making traditional games for the sake of cheap cash in casual games, and nothing else.

The former more closely describes Nintendo's efforts on its own platform, because even though Nintendo has made the likes of Wii Sports, Wii play, and Wii Fit...they've also worked towards more traditional offerings, like Metroid, SMG, Brawl, etc. The latter describes Ubisoft's approach, from what it looks like, because with the exception of perhaps Nitrobike, every other game they have in line here is either minigame oriented, or casual focsued.

At least, that's how I see it, it just doesn't seem like Ubisoft ever really took the Wii platform terribly seriously after having to rush their launch offerings.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I don't claim special insight into Ubisoft's profits/revenues but a game can't pay for itself until its released. As for Ubisoft's past next-gen games, not making enough to fund every game in the pipeline isn't necessarily the same as not making money. If I invest $200 in a game and make $300, I don't have enough money for five more two hundred dollar games, even though assuming they all were as profitable as the first, five more games would be a good investment.CarnageHeart

Agreed, just because Ubisoft is using the profits of casual games to fund other games doesn't mean that those games aren't profitable. Ubisoft wouldn't be making Tom Clancy games if they weren't pulling in a profit, period.

Anyway, my dislike for Ubisoft goes back a long way, if they didn't own the rights to the Might and Magic franchise, I wouldn't own a single Ubi game.

Also, it's such a shame to see such a lovely, clean art-style wasted for a game like Horsezzz.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gaminggeek

Also, it's such a shame to see such a lovely, clean art-style wasted for a game like Horsezzz.

UpInFlames

LOL so true. I've seen other screens from that game and it actually looks graphically very pleasing on the eye. I kept thinking to myself: just make an rpg or action rpg, or even a farming sim Harvest moon type of game. WTF is up with these horses? Wasted talent.

The same could be said about Boogie, it just screamed Lucasarts adventure game to me.

But Boogie is a good example of what Ubisoft should be doing. It didn't turn out to be the greatest game, but it's experimental st-yle has a lot of potential for the future according to IGN and you can see the production value and dedication they had to making a new IP on Wii. Compare it to most of Ubisoft's planned wii games, which are mostly 2-D even. There's just a gulf there.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

I've had little to no faith in Ubisoft since 2004 when they started their whole Starforce crap and really milking their franchises.

Prior to that they were a good company, for all platforms, making interesting and creative games and supporting upstart developers.....somewhere around 2004 their becoming a big company got to their heads, and they basically became another EA, and at this point I actually consider them worse then EA in some aspects.....in fact, in some ways I actually welcome a buyout of Ubisoft by EA.

Also....since 2004 Ubisoft has pretty much been a one console company...and that one console has either been Xbox or Xbox 360.....all other platforms since 2004 have pretty much gotten the shaft with buggy games, malware, poor ports, and just general lack of effort.

In fact, I can't really recall the last time I bought an Ubisoft internally developed game that I really loved.....the last time was probably literally back in 2003 with PoP: Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil.

2005's PoP: Two Thrones was good, but I consider that more of trying to make up for the screw up they did with Warrior Within's baditude in order to appeal to a more mass crowd....other then that, I really haven't been really impressed with any internally developed Ubisoft game since 2004, or even their upcoming lineup. Assassin's Creed peaked my interest for a short while, but with Jade pimping the damn thing every moment she gets without anything new really being shown, in addition to some not-so-favorable previews, that's another game where my interest has dwindled.

I'm surprised Michel Ancel is still with them.....he's probably the last peice of real creative talent they have left, and I really don't understand why he stays with the company when they are so restrictive with him....If I were him I'd break off and form my own company, or hell, join Tim Schafer at Double Fine.

I'm also surprised Nintendo doesn't demand more from Ubisoft....of course the high selling casual games are good for both parties....but if I were Nintendo I would either demand a must have exclusive....or at least give Ubisoft a taste of their own medicine by either charging Ubisoft more or take a higher cut of their profit from those casual games on the successful Wii, then Nintendo should do exactly what Ubisoft did to them and take those funds and give it to a another respected western developer to make a high profile game for Wii.

In fact, Nintendo should steal Michel Ancel as well as the developers behind those successful casual Wii games away from Ubisoft, and just form their own new first party internal studio.

hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hair001
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I wish Ubisoft would think to themselves... "If we make a lot of profit off of crappy Wii games, what would happen if we made some good ones?".rragnaar
But why bother with the expenses of making a good game if a crap game sells? They clearly think that the Wii customer base dosn't recognise quality so they put out whatever is cheapest for them to make, makes sense if they see the same gain
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"]It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I wish Ubisoft would think to themselves... "If we make a lot of profit off of crappy Wii games, what would happen if we made some good ones?".hair001
But why bother with the expenses of making a good game if a crap game sells? They clearly think that the Wii customer base dosn't recognise quality so they put out whatever is cheapest for them to make, makes sense if they see the same gain

I guess, but it seems like it will backfire at some point.  It seems like if they continue down this path, the only people buying non-Nintendo games on the Wii will be kids, which will help to perpetuate the idea that Nintendo systems aren't for hardcore gamers and people over the age of 12... I mostly just don't want the Wii to become a wasteland on non-games, and cartoon licensed crap... I have hope that the Wii will be this gen's PS2, but that all depends on third party support being genuine.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I don't understand the attitude some people have that third parties owe first parties anything (which isn't a belief unique to the Wii fans in this thread, but which also is applicable to all the PS3 owners shocked and horrified that the X360 was getting games such as VF5 and RE5). Third parties will do what they perceive to be profitable. The only way to change conventional wisdom is to prove it wrong. It doesn't necessarily have to be a first party doing the proving (it was Capcom that demonstrated that Japanese games could receive a warm welcome on the X360) but they are the only ones with an interest in the strength/diversity of a system's library.

If Nintendo wanted to, they could use some of the vast profits that are rolling in to pick up a couple developers who could make military action games, racing sims or whatever. If those games proved popular third parties would be on those genres like flies on sugar (Halo's massive popularity caused 3rd parties to offer the Xbox a ton of first person shooters). There is tradition of first parties expanding (or trying to anyway) their system's appeal by following the path less trodden. Both MS and Sony have cited strategy in various interviews using it as to explain support for Team Ico and Rare, neither of which has a big commercial hit under their belt but both of which make the types of games one tends not to find for the respective systems.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gaminggeek

You know what this just reminded me of? Total BS Ubisoft screens like this one.

And travesties like Far CryVengeance

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20965 Posts
This whole thing is a giant advertisement for multiplatform gaming, and I'm loving every second of it.
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7050 Posts

Ehh, nothing to get too upset about. If this is truly Ubisoft's plan it's destined to fail. The casual games sell okay, but in most cases, not great. Rabbids was an exception, but it was also much better than the average casual targetted game. Most of them don't sell too hot, but have such low overhead that they still recoup development costs and make a few bucks in the process. However, the profits that they do make are going to be so small, that they can't really cover the cost of a game with a $20 million dollar budget.

If a few of the casual games flat out tank, Ubisoft is going to find themselves with a big problem.

Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
As long as I get Raving Rabbids 2 I'll be happy.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

MarcusAntonius

I find this post to be absolutely spot on. Nintendo really went overboard with how the Wii is for non-gamers, so much as to make their E3 presence solely about Wii Fit (which, might I add, is a gimmick). Third parties are going to follow the lead of the first party when it comes to producing games- if the first party is marketing towards a specific segment, and they have more control over the system, you're not going to go against the grain just so another base will enjoy said system. Nintendo is out to make a profit, not create a great game system (same is true for Sony and MS).

CarnageHeart also made a great point about FPS on the Xbox. Once Halo became insanely popular, I can't think of a single third-party shooter that didn't come the Xbox. If Nintendo continues to produce games like Brain Age, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit for the Wii, then third parties are going to follow with similar types of games. Nintendo has massive profits- if they were interested in making sure they had a well rounded lineup, they could either purchase devs to make those kinds of games or buy 3rd party exclusives. They don't, so why should Ubi?

So yeah, tell Ubi what you think by not buying their games- they deserve that much. But they're only following Nintendo's lead.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This makes me seriously fearfull for the future of this machine, if third partys are gonna dump all over it like this its going to be a seriously strong contributing factor to the system tanking hard. I guess we'll just have to see what next year brings.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Skylock00

Nintendo really went overboard with how the Wii is for non-gamers, so much as to make their E3 presence solely about Wii Fit (which, might I add, is a gimmick). Third parties are going to follow the lead of the first party when it comes to producing games- if the first party is marketing towards a specific segment, and they have more control over the system, you're not going to go against the grain just so another base will enjoy said system. Nintendo is out to make a profit, not create a great game system (same is true for Sony and MS).

So yeah, tell Ubi what you think by not buying their games- they deserve that much. But they're only following Nintendo's lead.Vampyronight

My theory behind Nintendo's showing at E3 is based on the fact that most mainstream media sources were going to focus on the press conference, and since the largest number of non-gaming community readers are derived in those sources, Nintendo was going to give news that was more relevent to that crowd, since Miyamoto flat out said himself that E3 as an event for unveiling information to more traditional gamers is basically not as important anymore due to the advent of things on the internet, as well as other events. As a result, it's not surprising that Nintendo's press conference was held in better regard by a number of mainstream media sources, as it was more catered to them then what MS and Sony did for their conferences.

And Ubisoft is really not following Nintendo's lead here, given how grossly misbalanced the library is that they're putting out. Ubisoft really demonstrates the gross extreme of how one approaches more casual/non gamer products, buy flat out ignoring/abandoning most efforts to do anything for traditional gamers in the process. Nintendo has their own traditional games that they still continue to support other companies under their wings that will be building more traditional games (Like Monolith Soft and Cing, for example).

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#47 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Whouldn´t you all do the same?You make half-baked games for a well selling console without any good games at all and just a hand full of high quality announcements.The people are stupid egnough to buy it anyway.And the high quality games cost a lot plus you want to make profit after all.I see many stupid people and not a stupid company.

As long as the Wii-Gamers (most of them are the "Casual Gamers") buy crap they won´t get better stuff.That´s the way it goes.

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts

OMG....just what...

OK, I enjoyed that PoP game back in 2003, but I haven't been interested in a single Ubisoft game since then aside from those GRAW game they made. So boycotting Ubisoft was easy for me.:P

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

As long as Ubisoft keeps pumping out quality games on the XB360 and the PS3, why should I care?

It's not like I bought the Wii for third party games.

Some people seem to think just because Nintendo lowered the tech bar that everyone elseis going to follow their lead. As it turns out, Ubisoft is banking on casual consumption to make them a quick buckto financereal games for the other consoles.

If the strategy works, power to them.

CodeMunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CodeMunki
Member since 2002 • 2740 Posts
Sounds like an excellent business plan to me: sell lots of copies of highly profitable lower budget titles to casual gamers to fund expensive projects targeted toward hard-core gamers. It lowers their risk in investing $10-20 million on AAA titles and gives casual gamers what they want. As long as you are savvy enough to discern the good games from the bad, this will work in your favor.