The State of Open World Games, Your Thoughts?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaX_Factor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DaX_Factor
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

Better now than ever in history. Remember Omikron, Deus Ex..etc. You had these large open areas with nothing in it and very little detail and was made large only to serve as a way to kill time in traveling. Today we have lush and rich details, far more NPC's and greenery.

What's needed imo is more improvements to A.I. and fully destructible environments.

^What this guy said. A stronger A.I. and if they can figure a way to get us away from character controlling and back "Role" playing our RPGs then an open world can be more immersive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

They are advancing.

Open World games are games I kind of love and hate, it would require a ton of ai to make an open World also feel "alive" enough to be what I would consider worthwhile.

And they have flaws. The advantage of an open World game, should be that you as the player decides where to go, how to tackle problems and in what order to do what you set out to do.

But most of the time, the missions are quite linier, making it all a big hub for mission selection, and then a jerky transition to a very confined Space with a very direct and guided way of solving what you came to do. Often restarting if you go out of bounds, and often only with a single solution. This is a no no. It undermines all pretense of freedom.

Story also takes a disjointed hit, with something aperrently being urgent in the game, but allowing you to slug around for hours on end before the story continues.

So that disjointed nature would have to go.

in adition to the before mentioned improved ai, NPCs inhabiting the World, needs to have a wider moveset, and instruction table, instead of a game like I:SS where everyone and thier dog walks around drinking coffe, and having Little else to do. It would also have to be reactive, and not with the same result, if a carcrash happens, some people should run, some take out thier phones and record (or investigate) some come poking with a stick and such.

In most open World games having an ai that acts and reacts even if you are not there, would be beneficial, so you could make ripples throughout the gameworld, and have the World react to the story and state, if food becomes in short supply, the people should begin to riot or worse.

As of now none of the above is truely there, but they have advanced a great deal from the GTA 3 days. Open World games main issue is the lack of reaction to th eplayer, making them feel Cold and void. Empty.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@jasonredemption: my thoughts on the state of open world games? They need more explosions, more explosives(handfrags, c4, and 1 airstrike if you're lucky... Pffft!), and more skyscrapers exploding in more dynamic ways.

Mercenaries 3, I'm still waiting patiently for you.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

Open-world games, which are done right, can be an amazing experience... but I often find that a lot of them are filled with mundane tasks such as fetch-quests, which totally ruin them for me.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#55 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@jasonredemption: my thoughts on the state of open world games? They need more explosions, more explosives(handfrags, c4, and 1 airstrike if you're lucky... Pffft!), and more skyscrapers exploding in more dynamic ways.

Mercenaries 3, I'm still waiting patiently for you.

So you want more destruction? You want the ability to change the landscape based on your actions? (aka blow up building or blow up mountain)

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@jasonredemption: cratering would be nice, but isn't wholly necessary. In talking about the kind of destruction where I can carpet bomb four city blocks and watch as the buildings that make up those blocks all collapse in a unique fashion, completely independently of one another based on where the bombs hit and the resulting damage to the support structure of each independent building.

I want to watch as half of a building sloughs off and crashes to the ground, followed by the remaining half doing over flatly and smashing apart when it claps down onto the asphalt below.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

PICK UP THE PACE. Why are all these games so slow? Got GTAV and so far it is like watching paint dry.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Heirren

Its probably all the padding... The fact is many games don't actually know how to utilize all that space. They think just because the map is really big then the game should be longer, so yeah, it can drag on for quite a while

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Heirren

Its probably all the padding... The fact is many games don't actually know how to utilize all that space. They think just because the map is really big then the game should be longer, so yeah, it can drag on for quite a while

I haven't given up on gta quite yet. I thought the opening mission/lesson had a great vibe to it. What I will say is that AT THIS POINT of a few missions in on GTA, Watchdogs has more interesting concepts/play--it does stealth quite well.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I've been playing a lot of the GTA V re-release, so this topic comes at a great time for me to express my aggravation. I suppose this is mostly directed at V, but could be generally applied to mostly all open-world games out there.

V, despite its technical accomplishments, has not done much to expand upon the basic foundation that was built 17 years ago. Many of the game mechanics remain sloppy and/or poorly executed, the mission structure is the same as it's always been (go here, do this, go here, do that), and the formula is familiar. It's frustrating to see such attention paid to every detail of the game world to give such a sense of freedom, yet then be precluded from having much of a say on anything. All R* does is fill their worlds to the brim with shallow, theme-park bullshit (skydiving, stunt jumps, hunting, collect-a-thons, mountain biking, SCUBA, etc) to compliment a very narrow and linear script, yet don't let the player alter the world. I await the day a GTA game arrives that gives me real options.

I want my own Scarface desk to sit down at my mansion to grow my power and run the land through intimidation or corrupt political/judicial sway. There needs to be an underlying infrastructure in place to truly take advantage of what R* has created and to give power that extends past the barrel of a gun. That's where real power resides. I understand this would be no easy undertaking (to put it lightly), but if you had told me 10 years ago we'd have seen a world so fully realized and alive as GTA V portrays, I'd have laughed at you. That was no easy undertaking, yet R* pulled it off. It's possible, and in fact R* has taken steps towards this: the drug mini-game in Chinatown Wars, the stock market V brought into play which allowed the manipulation of share prices by destroying the properties of respective opposing businesses on the map, and heists, which allowed for a tailoring of player style to take on missions. This is what's needed, but they need to centralize these mechanics into one cohesive, underlying, central core system that supports a narrative gameplay focus that progresses the story.

• allow me to extort shops for "protection"
  • allow me to run a black market, smuggling drugs and weapons through the ports and adjust the prices on the streets, and set-up major deals
  • allow me to hire crews to do hits or intimidation on reluctant "participants"
  • allow me to bribe city officials (police, politicians) and infiltrate their organizations
  • allow me to buy businesses and run them
  • allow me to run drug dealers and hookers and place them on street corners

Etc, etc....

This series, despite its amazing breadth, is really starting to feel like a prison more than a playground. GTA is not much past the merest of illusions, and it's unfortunately one so impressive that it is obscuring gameplay shortcomings that have remained mired in stagnation for years. Even worse, reviewers and gamers are so blown away with each release by the technical prowess on display here that they are blinded to the lack of real gameplay progression that would make it the game it deserves to be, and thus immediately throw out 10s and accolades without a second thought. Hence, giving R* no imputes to improve on anything past the superficial. Just imagine what GTA could be if there were real options the player could do that would truly affect the world to meaningful degrees.

I have expressed my disappointment with the lack of real progression being present the mechanics in GTA V. In terms of the console installments, IV's cover system felt like a breath of fresh air to me. Hell, I expressed a lot of ideas similar to yours, and while I know everyone will probably disagree with me, I think that a serious story like 4's would move the franchise along.

Also, I really hate to say it, and I do not blame anyone for lashing out at me, but I do not even believe that Rockstar really cares about adding a lot of depth to the gameplay right now. It appears to me that GTA is designed to be something that most people can pick up and play just to have fun. Granted, I know that fun is the whole point, especially due to its open world design that lets the player do almost anything, but.....there has to be more to it

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Lulu_Lulu

@Jimmy_Russell

"I think developers could imagine and build new tools for the players to create their own fun ways of playing their game."

Or they can let them create their own games entirely.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Jimmy_Russell

I wouldn't encourage that.... Players are more like to exploit the game. Probing it from every angle until they find an exploit. I prefer they create their own games than to let them create their own way to play.