The most interesting story in a video game?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I think I'll touch on games I don't expect other people to: Braid--The jigsaw pieces you collect are a hint to how the story itself works. It's a bunch of fragments that, when you put them together, can form a cohesive story. I don't necessarily agree with Blow's design philosophy that storytelling has to be incidental to the gameplay, which seems to be why he constructed it centrally, yet obtusely, to what you actually DO, but the end result is an interesting take on the idea of what we are actually chasing when we spend hours and hours chasing princesses. The Last Express--The only videogame I can bring up in a conversation of fellow gamers and gain nothing but blank stares in return. It's tragic, too, because it did a lot of things in 1997 that only just now games like Heavy Rain are starting to implement. To call it ahead of its time is a vast understatement, and it's kind of tragic that it's Prince of Persia, not this revolution-that-never-took, that is going to remembered as Jordan Mechner's videogame legacy. The writing and acting were superb in a way that videogames today struggle to be, and was probably the most interesting implementation of a "real-time" clock in any videogame; surpassing and predating efforts like Majora's Mask and Animal Crossing. It was a plot that realistically responded to your actions, yet confined you within a believable set of parameters (you were on a train), and had as the essential difficulty curve not so much how to solve puzzles, but how to develop and progress the story. A remarkable work of art doomed to obscurity by a public that just never knew that it was supposed to care. ICO--Okay, I haven't played Shadow of the Collosus, and I don't know why. But I loved this game because, well, because it was really simple. And it worked. I was just trying to save Yorda. But her independence, her behavior, her animation, and the lack of intrusion by non-interactive cut-scenes made her feel like a real, if ethereal, person. I don't know of another story that had, at its major plot point, you realizing that you were feeling her heart beat when you held her hand. The minimalistic elegance of the tale was nothing short of outstanding. Final Fantasy VIII--It's a better game than most of the other Final Fantasy series, and more importantly, I think it is, much like its protagonist, an over-maligned and misunderstood creature. The central romantic relationship is far more complex and layered than anything in the series outside of VI's web of characters or XII political plot, and seems to be, by the end, its most intense and gratifying journey. I think the thing that strikes me is that most of the things that Squall is derisively accused of (wimp, pretender, whiner) are better levied against Cloud, who had similar issues, but poorer development and ultimately turned out to be made of weaker stuff overall than Squall, though it was marred by a weaker translation for VII than for VIII. This might have been a story that was a little too real (with a thick layer of fantasy and excess over top of it, as with all virtually all Final Fantasy games) to be popular with those looking for escapist fantasy, but the end result is a small cast of characters that are not easily forgot. Beyond Good and Evil--A game that I appreciate very much for its condensed nature. Played in the context of the better liked, but perhaps ultimately inferior, Wind Waker, this was a game that didn't try to pretend that it was bigger than what it was. It was a game that stuck to its core adventure, and kept you running through it at a slick, even pace. I don't know of a game that made me feel its characters more in a mere ten hours, and part of that was that the story never let itself lose momentum. Fantastic art, writing, acting and storytelling contributed to a world that, unlike in so many other games, I was loathe to leave so soon, rather than relieved to be done with. I miss you Jade, Pey'j and Double H. Come back soon. Grim Fandango--I wonder if Tim Schafer was suffering depression at the time of this one? It's a lot darker than his previous works, and generally more serious, despite having a fairly comic tone throughout. I don't know if there's ever been a better example of a game managing to simultaneously be and spoof noir of all things, but this one pulls it off. A romance through the land of the dead over four years gives this... a level of scope and emotional depth that I think few other adventure games have ever managed. It's one of the greatest games of all-time, and a must play for... everyone. It's just that good. Go play this game right now, then go play the other ones on my list. You won't regret it.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Bioshock 1 and 2

Penumbra series

Alan Wake

Left 4 Dead

wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts

The Elder Scrolls.
Every single game in the series is connected to a unique story that develops a extensive timeline on the Continent of Tamriel, which just makes you ask for more. I just can't get enough of it.

Henrique2324

I loved Morrowind and its expansions: Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="Henrique2324"]

The Elder Scrolls.
Every single game in the series is connected to a unique story that develops a extensive timeline on the Continent of Tamriel, which just makes you ask for more. I just can't get enough of it.

wslacker2

I loved Morrowind and its expansions: Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

Yeah Morrowind is the best Elder scrolls enviroment yet. Seriously it's so different, unlike all the other Tolkeinesque RPG's out there (including Oblvion)

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Chrono Cross.

Yes, it isn't as well loved and remembered as its predecessor, but in my opinion it took the core concept that Trigger introduced and took it to the next level. Is it the story of a young man lost in an alternate reality? A plot of future geniuses working to undo a mistake not yet made? A massive gambit to break the chains of an oppressor? A ploy to regain control of the very fabric of reality?

Chrono Cross is all of these plots merged into one amazingly cohesive whole. Sure, it may overreach at times, but if you sit down and really take it all in, it doesn't overreach anymore than the tale of a group of plucky young heroes out to save their world from a planetary-scale parasite spanning a dozen time periods.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#56 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

My favorite game storyline ever is that of the Mass Effect universe. It's so massive and expansive, complete with a great setting, characters, and a complete and massive in-game system to explore. It incorporates ethics, politics, religion, the choices between diplomacy and conflict, and more.

SPOILER ALERT

I think this framework might shine even more brightly in Mass Effect 3. According to current knowledge about the game, Shepard might even have to sacrifice entire civilizations to stop the Reapers. I think also it might involve alot of diplomacy and politics in order to get alien races to unite by your side.

MrSolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MrSolvo
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

There are tons of good games with stories, it's hard to pick just a few. Here are my favorite games when it comes to story:

Mass Effect - No one in the industry does "saving the world" better than this series.

GTA IV - I liked this storyline much better than past GTA games mostly because of Niko. A lot of people don't like him but I loved his character. His quest for revenge took me on a long, bumpy ride that I'll never forget.

Shadow of Colossus - One of the greatest stories in video games - ever. And a great example that you don't need dialogue and Call of Duty action set pieces to make an amazing game.

Red Dead Redemption - Probably my favorite storyline out of them all. RDR was amazing from beginning to end. I was never bored with John Marston on his quest to get his family back.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#59 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I loved Xenoblade Chronicles' story, it was great with all of the plot twists, engaging characters, and unique setting.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
There's absolutely no question that the most interesting story is Bioshock Infinite, it's just a mind-blowing, suspense filled hell of a game. And everything adds to the story, the art style, music, voice acting etc. One of my other favorite stories has to be Shadow of the Coloseus. A very interesting story, that is probably one of the best in gaming. That's what makes the wait for The Last Guardian even harder.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
Wow, 2011 was a great year, wasn't it ?
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#62 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

TLOU has a good story.

vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 vegeta789
Member since 2013 • 332 Posts
Final Fantasy 10, FF 7, dot hack GU 3, Resident evil2, FF dissidia duodecim 12 (dissidia th 2nd) Suikoden3, and star ocean: the last hope international for ps3.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 vegeta789

Blood Omen.

DucksBrains
Yes, blood omen. And God of war and devil may cry and onimusha as well.
vegeta789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 vegeta789
[QUOTE="soul_resonance"][QUOTE="BranKetra"] Final Fantasy Tactics. The wars, political deceptions, and the church. I haven't encountered many games that I like the story more than the gameplay. This is one of them.

Agreed. FFT and Tactics Advance have amazing stories. My personal favorite is DQ IV. The Rosa/Saro subplot that becomes the main plot was one of the most moving stories I ever played when I was younger.

Yup, the tactics story is really good. So is the gameplay, but I have to agree that the story is even better.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#66 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Maybe Mass Effect triology (until the finale), maybe To The Moon. But my vote would go for L.A. Noire. Certainly the most intricate and detailed plot I know of, and the only game so far that can be said to have been both "acted" and "voice-acted" as one.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#67 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

999, Virtues Last Reward and Catherine.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

One of the biggest appeals of Uncharted to me was their interesting take on history and globetrotting. Some indie titles have fascinating stories.