The most interesting story in a video game?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I have played many games throughout my lifetime, and most of the time I really look for a great story in my games, the one's with great stories are the ones I always seem to come back to and remember throughout my life. So I'm going to mention a few games that I think had tremendously good stories and what I like about them. And then I want to hear what other people's favorite stories were too!

1.) Final Fantasy X

This is definitely one of my favorite games ever. I've beaten it several times throughout my life. I just loved the characters and settings in this game. The story is told very well and it did a good job of showing things from the surface, and also behind the scenes. Things aren't as the seem and there are plenty of twists that will take you by surprise. The ending is great, even if the direct sequel made it not as meaningful.

I don't think I've ever played a game since this one that grabbed my emotions and mind as well as this one did. The only game that really comes close is next..

2.) Mass Effect

This game kind of took me by surprise. I was expecting it to be a great game, but I wasn't expecting it to have one of the best, most entertaining stories that have come to this generation of consoles. The setting was perfect, the characters were deep and well played, and the story was epic. Politics are a part of the story and come up several times in the plot in major ways. One of my favorite moments in video games were in this game. Including: [spoiler] The first meeting with Sovereign. [/spoiler]

Mass Effect is definitely my favorite game for the current generation of games.

Those are my two favorite stories in gaming, now I wanna know what everyone else's favorite VG stories are.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well The Max Payne games come to mind aswell as GTA 4 with their storylines where revenge and personal salvation is the underlying messages.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Mass Effect will always be up there. I always loved how Uncharted mixed real history with the mythical elements. Alan Wake had a pretty decent story which, while a little confusing, really set it apart from other stories in games.And of course *raises shield* I've always loved the MGS stuff. Some cop-out elements in there, but still a fantastic story nonetheless.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 good_sk8er7

Max Payne was definitely an interesting game, I never got around to finishing it because I had it for PC and my laptop was stolen, but from what I played of it, It had a very interesting story.

GTAIV's story was nice too, as were all of the GTA games, I think it peaked with Vice City though.

And Uncharted is one of my favorite games this gen too, I debated whether or not to list that one along with a few others

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

One of my favorite games ever, love the characters, and the story awesome. Not really sure what else to say about it though, but I love it.

Another awesome one is this game:

Well, Path of Radiance combined with Radiant Dawn is an awesome story. But I do not recomend skipping stright to Radiant Dawn.

colossus235890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 colossus235890
Member since 2009 • 389 Posts

For My there is three games that stand out alot

1. Shadow of the Colossus

SOTC

The story line from beginning to end was just amazing, This is still one of the greatest games I have ever played This is definatly a must have for all gamers

2. Final Fantasy X

This game had a really great story as well, full of plot twists and a kind of un predictable ending

3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

This game I felt was really different then the typical castlevania game and had alot of interesting twists that i didnt even except

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I really liked Ocarina of Time's story

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 good_sk8er7

I was thinking about this thread and thought of a few other really great games that I think deserve a mention

3.) God of War

Truely epic, this is truely one of the greatest games on the PS2. The setting was fantastic. God of War is really the only game I can think of that could take greek mythology and turn it into an amazing top-tier game. The final boss battle will probably be my most remembered boss fight of all time, and the ending was priceless. God of War 2 and 3 had amaing stories as well, I think all of them should be played by anyone who loves a great story.

4.) Bioshock

Bioshock was a great game for many reasons. One of those reasons being its amaing story, and not to mention it has one of the greatest settings in video game history. Truely remarkable, and while I can't speak for the second one, I must say that this one is a masterpiece. It featured one of the biggest plot twists I've ever seen in a video game. Bioshock was thrilling, shocking, and incredibly enjoyable.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Mass Effect is pretty interesting. It has space exploration, civilized alien races, and fighting. Another one in Final Fantasy VII. It was mainly because the Cetra left so much. How much more did they take with them? Final Fantasy Tactics. The wars, political deceptions, and the church. I haven't encountered many games that I like the story more than the gameplay. This is one of them.
colossus235890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 colossus235890
Member since 2009 • 389 Posts

An other mention as well

4. Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

BKF

This game story was breathtaking within its own way, By far the best Rpg not in the Final Fantasy Series, if your looking for a non Final Fantasy RPG, this one is a game that is a definate must try

CastleVania Lament of Innocence

LOI

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Final Fantasy VII got me into RPGs, it has a deep story for its time and arguably the best PS1 games of all time.

I never played the first ME (I should before ME3 comes out) but ME2 has a deep story too. Sacrificing your life to save humanity and the universe.

Konamic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Konamic
Member since 2010 • 3100 Posts
Silent Hill 2. ;)
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

I thought God of War's story was great, even if I'm not a big fan of "I'M PISSED SO I'LL KILL EVERYONE". The sequel's story was good as well, but definitely not on par with the original. I have yet to play GoW III .Half-Life 2's story is not amazingly amazing, but it's the best "delivered" story I can think of. Escape from Butcher Bay is pretty cool as well. There are a lot of great stories in game : Ocarina of Time, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

But the best story I've seen in a game is Bioshock's.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

Mass Effect 1

Jade Empire

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 good_sk8er7

A lot of good games have been brought up here. Some that I haven't heard of and need to look into suh as Baten Kaitos and Fire Emblem.

Here's another one I enjoyed

5.) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

In some ways, its like the video game equivalent of Scarface. The ultimate nobody to somebody adventure. You rise to the very top and crush everyone in your way, the only difference is, you don't die in the end. This is the best story in the GTA series in my opinion, even if that may not be saying much. This game may not be the most touching or emotional story, but it is pretty kickass!

Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts
Finding out that you're Revan in KOTOR was my "Luke, I am your father" moment. FFX's storyline was rather meh. In fact, I don't think I've ever been terribly interested in any Final Fantasy storyline, for all the hype about them. Of course, I still love the franchise.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts
Mass Effect, Bioshock & Half-Life 2 come to mind for me.
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I care more about character development then plot development in storylines, and Persona 3 has delivered this best amongst the games I've played.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I remember Baiten Kaitos, it's been a long time since I've played that game. Yeah, it was a good story. I remember the voice acting being rather terrible though.

This game is a pretty cool story as well, made by the same devs as Baiten Kaitos:

It tells the story about a real Pianist, Fredrick Chopin, on his deathbed. Having a dream. Very strange, and also quite interesting. It also has better voice acting then Baitan Kaitos, lol. I've still heard better though, but it isn't bad.

theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 theswede88
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

Final Fantasy

The GTA serie

Bio Shock

Mass effect

Mafia

Max Payne

A few title that I think have a very good story in the game's

evilgamer22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 evilgamer22
Member since 2009 • 2408 Posts

I can't say that I have a single favorite, but there are a lot of games that I really enjoyed story wise. FF X, MGS, Mass Effect, Persona 3 (most MegaTen games have a really good story), KOTOR, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Tales of the Abyss, Uncharted, Dragon Age (1st not 2nd), and most recently 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. There are some others I really enjoyed I just can't think of them all.:P

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Also Grandia II. I won't spoil anything, though.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment take the cake for this one. I'm always surprised by the amount of people that liked FFX's story. I thought it was convoluted nonsense.
merv_wasted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 merv_wasted
Member since 2010 • 290 Posts

Alan wake.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Morrowinds storyline was very dark, unique and had an epic quality.

Xenogears for the playstation was epic, could've been better had they not forced them to complete the project early without all the content.

I automatically disqualify final fantasy games due to them always requring a metro sexual spiky haired wierdo with oversized weapons.

Avatar image for IrithAyllistira
IrithAyllistira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IrithAyllistira
Member since 2010 • 204 Posts

I've played many games with great stories. My favorites are:

- God of War

- Eternal Sonata

- Final Fantasy VII

- Mass Effect

- Max Payne

- The Longest Journey

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I've always thought the God of War storyline was epic. (still do)
locknload17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 locknload17
Member since 2010 • 166 Posts

Planescape Torment...hand's down. I have yet to play a game that comes close. It's no surprise it's made feature lists like these:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6135401/index.html

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/540/540546p1.html

I've played many of the games that have been hailed as having excellent stories such the Mass Effect games, KotOR, BioShock Games, Silent Hill 1, 2 & 3, God of War games, etc....and none of them have approached the height that Planescape Torment's story reached in terms of being interesting and unique and having great writing, dialogue and characters.

Some of the sub-quests alone in Planescape Torment have better storylines then many of the games that are hailed as having the best storylines.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23801 Posts
  1. Homeworld, no game made me care about my characters like homeworld did.
  2. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers. Mystery, Voodoo, and old heritages, sign me up.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Link's rite of passage, where he goes from a depressed war veteran to a young man with renewed purpose.
  4. System Shock 2, Anyone that says Bioshock owes themselves to play this game.
  5. Planescape Torment, What can change the nature of a man?
VendettaSRB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 VendettaSRB
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts

o.O I can't believe I am the first one to nominate this game.

Without a doubt, and without a question. Zero competition.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Metal Gear Solid series. It's convoluted, but it's interesting learning the history behind the characters.
Blacklight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Blacklight2
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
Kotor and any of the GTA games come to mind.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again... Majora's Mask.

communistcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 communistcat
Member since 2010 • 1531 Posts

I really liked Ocarina of Time's story

Ocarina of Time had a pretty decent story, but it was nothing too special. Now Majora's Mask is a game with an interesting story.

soul_resonance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 soul_resonance
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"] Final Fantasy Tactics. The wars, political deceptions, and the church. I haven't encountered many games that I like the story more than the gameplay. This is one of them.

Agreed. FFT and Tactics Advance have amazing stories. My personal favorite is DQ IV. The Rosa/Saro subplot that becomes the main plot was one of the most moving stories I ever played when I was younger.
wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts
Deus Ex
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

If I had to choose a top 3:

3. Silent Hill 2

2. Phantom Dust

1. Nier

TF626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TF626
Member since 2010 • 593 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, to me is my favorite game in the series, and Top 5 favorite. Just a great and compelling story.

djseebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 djseebee
Member since 2005 • 340 Posts

i like the stories talk about biological Weapon disasters, zomibes , space and planets ( SCI-FI )

RESIDENT EVIL

DEAD SPACE

DOOM III

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#42 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I would like to mention Deadly Premonition and Red Dead Redemption as being two very memorable, and interesting stories.

Rheinmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 1

#43 Rheinmetal
Member since 2008 • 1235 Posts

One of the most interesting stories was Shadow of Destiny. (PS2 amd PSP)

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

Blood Omen.

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Finding out that you're Revan in KOTOR was my "Luke, I am your father" moment. FFX's storyline was rather meh. In fact, I don't think I've ever been terribly interested in any Final Fantasy storyline, for all the hype about them. Of course, I still love the franchise. Darkwanderer000
I hate you so much right now!!! I swear I have been dodgeing that spoiler for probably over a year and now you come in and ruin it for me! Ugh!!! This is what spoiler tags are for!!!!!!!
Avatar image for 19elderscroll86
19elderscroll86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 19elderscroll86
Member since 2011 • 751 Posts
The uncharted games have great storylines.
Henrique2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Henrique2324
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts

The Elder Scrolls.
Every single game in the series is connected to a unique story that develops a extensive timeline on the Continent of Tamriel, which just makes you ask for more. I just can't get enough of it.

hushamjaveed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hushamjaveed
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

Bioshock

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Mafia2

Bulletstorm

Modern Warefare

Crysis2

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Black Ops story was "interesting" although I'm not entirely sure what actually happened.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

KotOR, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed...