Stories about your experience as a customer at Gamestop!

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrfidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 0

#1 mrfidget
Member since 2005 • 399 Posts

Gamestop sucks. Although I admit I went there on boxing day and got a few games (and I'd be lying if I said thats the only time I've gone there). I felt awful. Nobody in the gaming community really respects Gamestop, and rightfully so - they don't deserve respect for what they do. Anyway, I wonder if I could get people to share their amusing/frustrating experiences as a customer at Gamestop.

I'll start with an unusually positive one. I was at one and someone was trying to buy the Clash of the Titans game (based on the movie). The guy working there outright refused to sell it to this woman because it was a horrid game. I thought it was very commendable of him. But thats the only positive experience I've had there.

Every time I go there I always have an employee approach me and say, "Hey, so how about that (upcoming game) trailer? Pretty sweet huh?". And they always try with apparent desperation to get me to buy strategy guides. But I have no outrageous/hilarious particular occurences in my mind. How about you guys?

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

I've only been to two Gamestops ever...one is in Maine where they never bothered me during vacations, and the other is my local one in which the guy knows me and we just talk about games we both like...never really had a bad experience although those stickers are annoying

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i actually dont have an issue with them only one time when it didnt register my preorder for acr and skyrim but i got my preorders in the end

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I went to pre-order Crysis 2 for PC and the guy at the counter said "Oh, so you have one of those $2000 gaming PCs?" I really didn't know how to respond to such an ignorant comment. Long story short, I canceled my pre-order 2 days later and bought it for $40 at Direct 2 Drive. Couldn't pass up $20 off.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I never had any problems with the gamestops I go to. but I did had a problem with the website. I canceled my order of video games back in august but just last month, they shipped it to my place. not sure how that happen but glad I used the gift card instead of the credit card

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

Tons of crap with Gamestop first I Pre-ordered Uncharted 3 and it was supposed to come with Creepy Crawler Kickback I did not get the dlc so I called them up they tell me the code is on the receipt I check it no code then they actually had the nerve to say they couldnt help me any further.... Seriously then I had Revelations Pre-ordered another game where I got absolutely none of the dlc that was promised.... All I know is I will never pre-order from Gamestop.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Tons of crap with Gamestop first I Pre-ordered Uncharted 3 and it was supposed to come with Creepy Crawler Kickback I did not get the dlc so I called them up they tell me the code is on the receipt I check it no code then they actually had the nerve to say they couldnt help me any further.... Seriously then I had Revelations Pre-ordered another game where I got absolutely none of the dlc that was promised.... All I know is I will never pre-order from Gamestop.

ReviewerDrake
First, the creepy crawler pack was on your receipt. It prints without any intervention on the part of the employee. And well, second, the DLC for AC:R was bundled into the package, so if you didn't get it.. talk to Ubisoft not your local GameStop. If you ever wonder why the employees(and managers) at GameStop aren't as nice to some customers as others, because some customers(not saying you are) are complete idiots who wanna do nothing but abuse the stores policies and complain when they cannot.
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
I don't shop there anymore, but when I did everytime I went in to look at games the guy chats me up telling me what games he's playing and trying to friend me up.' It's annoying.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I've never had that much trouble with Gamestop. Most of the employees that I've dealt with are pretty friendly and helpful. Only thing they did that gon on my nerves was a time when I bought a used Xbox from the Gamestop I normally went to. Usually I just bought PSP and Gamecube games from that store, so the guy behind the counter says something like "About time you guys got a real system". I was pretty annoyed with that but didn't say anything... Didn't go there much after that anyway because the selection of games was poor.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I haven't been to Gamespot in a very long time, I buy pretty much everything from Amazon now. Last time was after I ordered my PS3 and was waiting for it to arrive. I'd browsed a ton of games at Amazon, but of course I wanted one on hand to play when the new console arrived. I went to Gamespot and looked at the PS3 games, almost all priced significantly higher than Amazon. I finally decided on Resistance Fall Of Man. Took the empty box up to the counter and after some embarrassed searching, the clerk told me he didn't have the disk for that game. But he could sell me a used copy for "a couple bucks less" which would have been five or ten bucks more than Amazon wanted for a new copy. :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Knowing for a fact that employees take home the "gutted new" games and calling them out on it.

It is always entertaining when the employees are fanboys.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I always go to Gamestop whenever I need to buy a game or a DVD. The staff are nice and there's always a decent selection.
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReviewerDrake

I know the dlc is supposed to come on the receipt but for some reason I did not get it and I don't blame the workers for that since that can't manually write down a code on my receipt but I do blame them for poor customer service when I buy something I expect you to help me till the problem is resolved. Now let me say not all Gamestops act the way this particular one did also anyone else agree the trade in is a rip off..... Some guy went to trade in MW2 a couple months ago and they told him 7 bucks the guy laughed and said he would radther give it away can't blame him.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

EB Games (same thing) in Canada, sold me a game with a scratch in it, I looked at the disc in the food court later, found the scratch, brought it back and they basically called me a liar.

("new" copy too, not that means much at EB)

Also, not reallly their fault but still frustrating as hell, I brought in my haul of PC games to sell a week after they stopped taking them, grrrrrrrrrr

Anyway, when I'm buying games in-store I always try Best Buy first, then futurshop, then EB as a last resort.
Gonna break my rule to pre-order MAss Effect 3 though, Don't like Best Buy's preorder set-up

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

They have some cheap used games and sometimes I buy them. There's my story.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I haven't had many problems.other than crap selection, higher prices or those absolutely annoying stickers. I usually get along fairly well with the employees. I did have a problem with a couple of employees at a Gamestop I don't really frequent. I was picking up a PS3 game and they kept asking me why I would ever buy a PS3. This was when the system was still $600 and they acted like I just killed their dog. It was embarassing.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlackDevil99

I haven't had many problems.other than crap selection, higher prices or those absolutely annoying stickers. I usually get along fairly well with the employees. I did have a problem with a couple of employees at a Gamestop I don't really frequent. I was picking up a PS3 game and they kept asking me why I would ever buy a PS3. This was when the system was still $600 and they acted like I just killed their dog. It was embarassing.Canvas_Of_Flesh

for whatever reason employees at gametop's and eb games seem to be the most unprofessional

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ReviewerDrake

Most of them tend to be white boys who think they know it all and no I'm not racist I have white family thats just the vibe I get from every Gamestop employee. I also think they take home games and bring them back but I can on speculate on that.

mrfidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#20 mrfidget
Member since 2005 • 399 Posts

OH MY GOD THE STICKERS - those are pretty much the most annoying things ever. I mean come on. Every other store has stickers that SOMEHOW come of easily, it can't be that hard to do.

EndRhyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 EndRhyme
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I wouldn't go to Gamestop if it wasn't the only game-specialty store in a 10 mile radius of my home, but it deems a lot of improvement.

Only recently, actually, I went to go pick up a 3 month Xbox Live card for my friend's birthday, who just got a 360. Anyways, I asked the store clerk if I could get one, and already she was dressed a bit dark/emo/goth looking, but I'm not one to judge, so she said "Certainly." and so she went to go grab a card. As she was scanning the card and whatnot, she asked me about a carnival thing that was happening near by, and I said "Oh yeah, I was thinking about going to that later." and she gave a small chuckle, and very quickly jumped to a depressing story about how she couldn't go because she never has enough money, doing so would make her feel lonely and how it was too overrated.

I came into that store with a smile, and left without it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I've never had a negative experience and often walk out very happy with my purchases. Don't write off an entire international chain just because had a bad experience at a single store or a single employee.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BlackDevil99

I've never had a negative experience and often walk out very happy with my purchases. Don't write off an entire international chain just because had a bad experience at a single store or a single employee.foxhound_fox

I think your local store is teh exception, not the rule

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I went to the store I used to go to all the time (36th Street & Thomas Rd in Phoenix), and it has gone to f****ing hell. Long-ass wait times, the store is dirty and disheveled, the employees all look tired or bored, and the prices suck compared to Amazon or Best Buy (this is nothing new, however).

I actually tried calling them as soon as I left the house to buy a copy or Rayman Origins and got a busy signal the entire 15 minute drive there. I just kept redialing it even as I was in the parking lot, and was still getting a busy signal as I walked through the door -- they had the phone off the hook, and never put it back on. Not one person answered the phone while I was there -- nor did it ring.

Ah well, none of the above has anything to do with my not shopping there anymore -- Amazon Prime and no tax do. The above just assured that I will never go back there unless I have to.

Manimal2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Manimal2000
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

I live in Canada also and I have 2 EB Games here. They are fine stores and I've got good stuff for cheap.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Why does everyone hate Gamestop? Besides the stickers on the cases, they are a great store and pretty much the only place where I buy games. Occasionally I go to Play N Trade or another game store called Fallout Games.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I know the dlc is supposed to come on the receipt but for some reason I did not get it and I don't blame the workers for that since that can't manually write down a code on my receipt but I do blame them for poor customer service when I buy something I expect you to help me till the problem is resolved. Now let me say not all Gamestops act the way this particular one did also anyone else agree the trade in is a rip off..... Some guy went to trade in MW2 a couple months ago and they told him 7 bucks the guy laughed and said he would radther give it away can't blame him.

ReviewerDrake
So he'd rather get NOTHING for a game than $7. What people don't understand is the reasoning behind the values of the trades. They don't take a game in trade for $10 and sell it for $30 and make $20 pure profit. Theres plenty of other costs on top of that $10 that they have. A lot of stupid people in this world don't seem to understand this very simple concept of running a business.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

OH MY GOD THE STICKERS - those are pretty much the most annoying things ever. I mean come on. Every other store has stickers that SOMEHOW come of easily, it can't be that hard to do.

mrfidget

I hate it when they stick them on the actual art cover insert! That is seriously annoying because those do not come off easily without ruining the boxart.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#29 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I had two bad experineces at Gamestop:

One I went in and I asked the guy when Killzone 3 was going to come out, and he said "pretty soon" I then noticed the sign in the window about it and I saw the release date was in a few days and I said "oh so it comes out in a few days" and the employee said in a very douch like manner "ya that's pretty soon" I mean what an **** He could have just either told me the release date upfront or just say he didn't know, no need to be a dick about it.

Another time I bought a brand new game for $60(don't remember what one) and I didn't like it so I went totrade it back in the very same day and they said they would only give me about $15 for it, that was BS! $15! I just bought the game brand new for $60 a few hours ago, talk about a scam!

I try to avoid dealing with Gamestop, especially since they put all those damn stickers on their cases and I hate those! I try to take them off and then the glue stays on no matter what I do and the case is just sticky forever, I hate it.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Well, just keep this in mind. This is a horrific economy, even for skilled workers. The people who work for Gaestop, and subsequently are FORCED to ask you to buy annoying s*** are just people like you and me, trying to survive. So be respectful of them, because odds are, they f***ing hate having to do half the things they're required to.

alexLmx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 alexLmx6
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

Really, there are going to be douchey employees in ANY retail store, because people working in retail are only there because they'll starve otherwise. It depends if you're dealing with a manager or just whatever high school kid they've hired.

As for the several EB Games locations in my area, they've been perfect up until recently, when first they didn't have my cloth map for Skyrim, and then they didn't have the codes for AC: Revelations. They've done alot of great stuff in the past though, like calling 3 other locations to find a game for me, and they're the only place really if you need something that's more than a year old and hasn't become a greatest hits or whatever.

ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReviewerDrake

The only really good experience I had at Gamestop was meeting a girl who worked at the store and was really nice I know its her job but still I had never played Uncharted and she actually got me hooked on the series.... I still see her from time to time.

zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

Yeah there is always the "used car salesman" type employee, but that usually doesn't bother me, especially since I'm a nerd and I see most of the trailers for games anyway. Most of the times I've gone to Gamestop, it's been to browse because I have nothing better to do. As far as the in-store experience, I think it's fine. However, Gamestop's website where I've attempted to order stuff before is downright terrible. On my preorder for Gears of War 3 (which I only preordered from Gamestop to play the beta) they didn't email me the code until I complained about it to them. Very stupid, especially since sites like amazon.com have better deals and promotions. Recently, I also tried to order a 120gb hdd for my 360 with the same account/email/and credit card number as the GOW3 order. For whatever reason (but most likely poor management of the website) when I tried to place the order, it wouldn't submit. It also wouldn't let me go in and edit my credit card information to make sure it was accurate. VERY unprofessional and downright idiotic on their part. I'm done ordering things off of their website and most likely from the store (at least for preorders).

Bladebri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bladebri
Member since 2010 • 239 Posts

I've gone to my local gamestop's plenty of times and never really had a bad expierence. I would walk in and get the usual, "Hi, need any help?". I would just tell them no thanks and they would go back to what they were doing before. I only go there really to just browse prices and get an ocasional pre-order I went through them for. Most of my shopping gets dealt with through Amazon now but I still never really understand all the hate on Gamestop. They're just trying to to do what every retailer does, make money.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

There are 3 Gamestop stores fairly close to where I live. The staff have come to recognize me and are typically very helpful and always professional. The only issue I have is that one of the stores is located in a mall, and therefore is quite tiny, which obviously reduces the library of game they have to sell.

I usually use amazon for all of my used game purchases, and go to gamespot for preorders as they often have exclusive preorder bonuses.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Most of the time, I have a good experience at GS, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't get slightly annoyed when the first thing an employee asks me when I walk in is if I want to pre-order something. Can't really blame anyone though, it's part of the job to try and encourage sales.

As far as the stickers go, I feel everyone's pain. I like to keep all my game cases, and those stickers just ruin the cover art. I've found a rather good solution to that though: if you do decide to attempt to remove the stickers, peel off a tiny bit, and then very, very slowly and carefully work your way towards getting the sticker off. I tend to grab a corner of the sticker and peel slowly from there. I've been able to get rid of them now without leaving adhesive.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Gamestop, pretty much the biggest piece of **** store dedicated to selling video games ever. First we'll get all of the obvious **** out of the way, tho in no particular order of what is more annoying/stupid.

1. Their "New" Games. Now when you buy a product NEW, what would that usually mean to you? That's it never been freakin opened right? Well ****stop always opens their games and stores the discs behind the counter, or I suppose in some other area depending on the store, so basically, if I were to buy a new game there its not actually even new anymore.

2. Employees taking home new games, using/playing them, and then bringing them back and selling them as new. I had a friend that worked there and he said they did it all the time. So not only is it impossible to tell if the game you're getting is actually new or not, due to the above number 1 complaint, but this lends even more skepticism and proof that gamestop consistently sells used games to people labeling them as new, and not used as in, "oh we just opened the damn box," no, used as in "yea this game has been **** played before."

3. Stickers. Why does every damn box have to have more than one sticker on it telling me some stupid **** about trading the game back in or some crappy ass deal the store is having on used games. Not only is it annoying, but since they don't leave the games sealed, they placed them right on the cases, so when you go to take off the damn stickers so you can actually see the cover art or game case, it leaves that ****ty sticky ass film all over.

4. Employees. I've shopped at many many Gamestops over the years, though that was mostly when I was a lot younger, stupid, and the internet wasn't as convenient as it is today to order products. But ok, a lot of gamestops I've gone to usually have terrible employees who are either up your ass to sell you used games, pre-order new games, buy a strategy guide, some other stupid ass **** that doesn't benefit me as much as it does annoy the hell out of me, or are complete and total fanboys. Now in some regards I actually can't blame the general gamestop employee, the problem is with the corporate ideology and how the company operates to obtain its profits. The company basically puts pressure on its employees to get pre-orders and such, when my friend worked there he actually said that the amount of hours a person would get would actually be determined by the amount of pre-orders and used sales they were able to get, I'm not sure if its that bad anymore but it just shows what a ****ty ass company it is.

5. Used games. Now ok, I know there is a huge argument over buying new/used games and whatever, so I don't wanna start that crap up again, however, if gamestop actually gave a good deal to the customers in regards to used games then I might now have a problem with it, but the fact is the rip off customers so bad its sad that people still go there. Here is an example of something ****stop would do- Sell customer already opened "New" copy of newest Madden while berating the **** out of them forpre-orders and... a strategy guide for Madden. Person goes home and plays game for a week and then brings it back because gamestop as such "great deals" when buying back used games. So, gamestop buys back this game from the customer for usually less than half of what they paid for, but they don't give the customer money, oh no, they give them in store credit, so if they wanna use their freakin money they have to come back to that crappy ass store and purchase something else, and of course while this is going on they again berate the customer with pre-orders and sales pitches. So, customer leaves store and what does ****stop do? Puts a nice **** ****ty ass $55 sticker on that used game and then puts another few stupid ass stickers advertising the game as used and can be traded back in just for good measure. So some lucky bastard gets to buy a used game for a whole 5 dollars cheaper, whoopty **** do! What a great deal for your customers gamestop. Another thing they always say is that "You'll wanna pre-order this to make sure you get it." What kinda scare tactic bs is that, I can find any damn game I want any time I want, this isn't the 1980s or something, if I want a game on launch day I'll go to any damn store and buy it.

Alright, that's about all of the general things I can think of at the moment, so let's move on to particular circumstances.

So when I was a young kid and dumb and still shopped at ****stop, they were having one of their buy 2 get 1 free deals, (which really isn't all that great of a deal because they usually have higher prices than other places so you end up not really saving much if any.) Anyway, I buy 2 games and the free game I want is Zelda Wind Waker for GC. I take the games to the counter and the stupid fat **** there asks if I would like the game used instead, I said no. She actually tried arguing with me and persuading me to try and buy the game used as it was no different and would save me money. Since I was a young kid I was still pretty polite back then when **** like this happened so I just said no thank you and that I would like it new. Took all my games home and went to open and play them when... lo and behold, I notice a **** ****ty ****stop sticker on the back of my wind waker case saying "Congratulations, you saved $3.00 by buying used!" ............ CAN YOU **** BELIEVE IT! I saved 3 whole **** dollars! WOW was I ever pumped, I mean 3 whole **** dollars, I mean I could go on a **** trip to the moon with that kinda **** money, thank god that fat ass **** secretly sold me a used copy instead of a new one right?....Well anyway, I just put the games down and next day went back and returned all 3 for a full cash refund because the lady was such a piece of **** she was actually the one who did the return and recognized me and new right away why i was returning all the games, she actually had the balls to try and argue with me and complain about me returning the games, I wish I had that experience now that I'm older because I would have tore into that son of a **** So anyway, I took my money and bought the games elsewhere.

Next specific example, this is several years later, I stopped buying anything from ****stop for beyond obvious reasons, however there was one thing I would usually still buy from there, the actual video game consoles, I'm not really sure why I still did, but I definitly don't any more. Anyway, it was like a year or so after the 360 released and I was finally thinking about getting one, this was right around when all the rumors of the 360 elite started surfacing and I thought, well, might as well go to ****stop and see what they had to say. So I go there and ask what they know about the elite since rumor was it was supposed to be launched/revealed in about a month, and this fat ass sweaty old manager who I remember as always being a condescending know it all **** immediately opens his mouth, even though I asked the young associate next to him, "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN! If you really want a 360 you should just buy one now." Now because I had previous experience with this piece of **** I knew he was just being a complete **** so I ignored him and hung around the store a bit until the young associate and him where seperated, when they were the young associate actually came up to me and said the elite was already in their computer systems and that he planned to pick one up himself. Now that was like maybe the 2nd or 3rd ****stop employee I've ever met in my life that was actually a cool good person, I thanked him for the info and left. So a month later when the elite actually did come out I ordered it online from Amazon like I do everything else these days.

So yea, **** that store, ****stop is the biggest piece of steaming ass I've ever had the misfortune of supporting with my money. I will every once in awhile drop into a ****stop to look for a rare jrpg strategy guide that may cost me way more online now due to rarity, but other than that I wouldn't support that store if my life depended on. I'll actually willingly pay more for a product somewhere rather then shop there unless the price difference is going to be ridiculously high like $100 or something.

Now there are a few other stories I have about this **** store, but those are the larger ones, usually its just condescending dick hole fanboy employees and what not, but yea...**** that store.

I'm not a huge fan of digital only taking over, I'd rather have a physical product, but god when all digital becames the main form of gaming it will be worth it just to see that piece of **** company go under.

7CloudStrife7

Man, you got issues.

Vanillamarble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vanillamarble
Member since 2011 • 232 Posts
Gamestop is not bad, but I prefer Amazon. Prices are always around $20 cheaper, it gets delivered to you, no tax, and on Amazon used games are a lot less than $5 cheaper than a new game like they are at Gamestop. Amazon also gives you a decent amount for traded in games.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

There are 3 Gamestop stores fairly close to where I live. The staff have come to recognize me and are typically very helpful and always professional. The only issue I have is that one of the stores is located in a mall, and therefore is quite tiny, which obviously reduces the library of game they have to sell.

I usually use amazon for all of my used game purchases, and go to gamespot for preorders as they often have exclusive preorder bonuses.

cprmauldin

my local Gamestop is like that so i have to pre-order especially with my tastes in games

CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

Is this going to be like "so one time at band camp" things?

Anyhow, the only real problem I've had there is when I bought a disc and it didn't work, so I traded it for another disc of the same game, and THAT one didn't work.

Also, those cases with those annoying characters on them are....annoying.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#42 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I only have two major beefs with Gamestop:

1. They really need to give you better trade-in values for games.

2. Their policy of gutted games. They'll open a game and then sell it at the New price. These games have their factory seal broken-- they should be sold as Used. Another preposterous thing I've experienced is when they sell you a gutted game, re-seal it with a sticker, and tell you that you can't return it if the seal is broken. That's ridiculous! The factory seal was already broken in the first place!

DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#43 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
The only issue I ever had was miscommunication. They called my house about the Old Republic having a midnight launch...but failed to mention that the mall I had it reserved didn't participate in it :|. Other than that, I've got no problem with them.
taylor12702003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 taylor12702003
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts

I can always find new and used games cheaper somewhere else. Also the employees are usually annoying, ignorant, and immature. As you can tell I am not a fan.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

The trade in value for games really suck. $2 for a game they turn around and sell for $30-$40, that's crazy. I'm really sick of all those damn stickers they place on the used games, then you play hell trying to get them off. I like to keep my games looking nice. When I buy a game then there is a 99.9% chance I'm keeping it.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
This nice employee and I had a conversation for about half an hour while I was browsing and then he went out of his way to get me a copy of the new game I just purchased still wrapped in plastic.
keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts

Ignoring the awful TV that plays in the background, I really haven't had any bad experiences in Gamestop.

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
Poncho_Hachacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Poncho_Hachacha
Member since 2011 • 675 Posts

I've had good and bad experiences with them. It all depends on where you go and who's working there really. Most gamestop employees in my area are pretty knowledgeable and cool. Then there was one across town I vowed never to go to again. I went in one day and asked if they had any deals on trade-ins beucase I had some stuff I wanted to get rid of and they usually have some incentives for multiple trade-ins. The guy at the desk responded as if I was in an unemployent line asking for a welfare check andgave me some"we don't give handouts" kinda speach, like he was looking down on me,only to look in his little dealbook a minute or two later and confirm that I was right all along and they did have a deal on trade-ins, which I already knew. I was so pissed off after that crap. I just wish I had spoken to his manager before I left.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

They sold me an opened game as "new" infact two games fingerprints on the disc and what not..told the employee to screw himself and told the people behind me in line to shop somewhere else because the dudes here are pricks and lie about there games....hehe 2 people left.

Apparantly the games were opened but never played, Mother F****R opened doesn't mean new.

GodofGods1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 GodofGods1995
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts
They gave me $4 dollars for Pokemon Black, $6 for HP Deathly Hallows pt1. I really dont get it xD. I still love GS though.