Sony Playstation 2 Console Slimline - Yes/No FAQ

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sierrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sierrad
Member since 2004 • 4150 Posts
PSTwo .vs. PS2

If you want to find out the advantages of Sony Playstation's new slimline console, then read below:

~ PROS ~
1. Integrated Network Adapter (Online Play).

2. Upgraded DVD Support (DVD-R/RW ~ DVD+R/RW support) - (Upgraded DVD Software).

3. Slim Design (Console is more durable and fits in most small places) - (It will be easier to move your console around the house or take it to a friends house)

4. Flip Top Design (The console works like the PS1, so you have to insert PS2 Games/DVD's in the top of the console).

~ CONS ~
1. No HDD Support (There is no place to attach a harddrive to the console) - (Sony has substituted that for the slim design).

2. Flip Top Design (You cannot store the console in small vertical places due to this design) - (When console is opened it averages to 4.5in height)

- END -
SolidsnakeY15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidsnakeY15
Member since 2004 • 2302 Posts
Well the whole size thing isnt really a major issue for me seeing as l dont live in a 30 by 30 cm house, however, the fact that it has a built in online adaptor makes it better than the fatty, which l personally have.. Also playing the DVD RW's and stuff gives it an extra advantage. You'd only prefer the fatty if u were a really extreme FF fan l guess...
fonzie313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fonzie313
Member since 2004 • 1446 Posts
no hdd?:| does anyone even have a hdd? if sony only launched it properly.... well anyhow... another pro of the slimline is that its uber sexy 8) †
nellyg619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 nellyg619
Member since 2004 • 6832 Posts
I've got both the old PS2 and the PStwo slimline(my old one broke after an idiot fell on it.) I have to say that the slimline is so much better and well worth ur money
Avatar image for final_sephiroth
final_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 final_sephiroth
Member since 2003 • 2596 Posts
the hdd was supposed to be out here along with the release of the ps2 ffxi, but neither have happened
sCraftZeAlOt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 sCraftZeAlOt
Member since 2004 • 4358 Posts
very nice, i've been actually thinking about it, but now i prolly wont get it
eric24829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eric24829
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
i got both of them ps2 playstation xbox gamecube you name i got it`
matttrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 matttrd
Member since 2004 • 5076 Posts

i got both of them ps2 playstation xbox gamecube you name i got it`eric24829

Well erm Gratz!!

Vincent__Vega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vincent__Vega
Member since 2003 • 386 Posts
I heard the slim one will overheat, any of yall had that problem yet?
naz18h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naz18h
Member since 2004 • 17231 Posts

no hdd?:| does anyone even have a hdd? if sony only launched it properly.... well anyhow... another pro of the slimline is that its uber sexy 8) †fonzie313

hmm yeah quite some people own one! and its still a con

naz18h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 naz18h
Member since 2004 • 17231 Posts

I heard the slim one will overheat, any of yall had that problem yet?Vincent__Vega

No. works perfectly fine and on weekends its running around 12 hours straight

Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
PSTwo .vs. PS2

If you want to find out the advantages of Sony Playstation's new slimline console, then read below:

~ PROS ~

2. Upgraded DVD Support (DVD-R/RW ~ DVD+R/RW support) - (Upgraded DVD Software).

3. Slim Design (Console is more durable and fits in most small places) - (It will be easier to move your console around the house or take it to a friends house)

4. Flip Top Design (The console works like the PS1, so you have to insert PS2 Games/DVD's in the top of the console).

~ CONS ~
1. No HDD Support (There is no place to attach a harddrive to the console) - (Sony has substituted that for the slim design).

2. Flip Top Design (You cannot store the console in small vertical places due to this design) - (When console is opened it averages to 4.5in height)

- END -
sierrad
I have an older PS2 that came bundled with the network adapter, but could you shed some light on any overheating issues. I have read alot of people experience these issues or that the console itself gets real hot to the touch.
shizzdogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 shizzdogg
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts
I love the new PSTwo, because I've had it for 5 months now, and it hasn't broken, only 1 DRE, and all my scratched DVD's work on it. I dispise the old one, it cost me a lot to try to fix that, never happened. Also it's never overheated, i dont know what that bull**** is about that.
MidgetsOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MidgetsOfDoom
Member since 2003 • 8045 Posts
I'm getting one soon.8)
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
[QUOTE="sierrad"] ~ PROS ~

~ CONS ~

Some of the pro's are not really all that much of an improvement.

For example, anyone that has already purchased one of the newer-older-model "+"-labeled PlayStation2's would already have the DVD-/+ R/W support. My version 9 PS2 Online Pack was one of such, and therefore also included the Network adapter and the upgraded DVD support. Progressive scan is also in the newer-older versions of the PS2, so comparing to the newer-older models, this point is moot. It would be a difference however if someone had a really old model, such as versions 1-5.

Also, a con for the new PStwo is that they still lack the 1394 port that came with the version 1-3 PS2's. but as such, another decision Sony made early on - ironic since Sony was one of the companies behind the 1394 firewire standard to begin with.

Finally, both the newer-older (v8-11) and the new slimline PStwos have progressive scan DVD movie support, so an HD or EDTV set and a PS2 connected by the Component (YPbPr) cables can have 480p support for dvd movies. Not a huge visual improvement, but a noticeable and nice increase.

Another issue with the new PStwo is that most all PlayStation2 (and pretty much all PS1) multitaps won't work with the new console. Not a big deal for someone that usually plays alone, but any and all games that support(ed) up to 8 players offline are now immediately screwed if you want to play them that way.
hittin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#16 hittin
Member since 2005 • 26966 Posts
PS2 is much better than PSTwo
earthling13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 earthling13
Member since 2005 • 826 Posts

[QUOTE="Vincent__Vega"]I heard the slim one will overheat, any of yall had that problem yet?naz18h

No. works perfectly fine and on weekends its running around 12 hours straight

Yeah from what I heard the main chips have little fans on them like pc video cards do and they don't overheat like people think cause there's no huge fan in the back.
It looks cool, if I had a choice and it didn't cost me anything I wouldn't mind having the slimeline.

tydeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tydeth
Member since 2004 • 2022 Posts
I've got both the old PS2 and the PStwo slimline(my old one broke after an idiot fell on it.) I have to say that the slimline is so much better and well worth ur moneynellyg619
lol, FELL ON IT :D :D :D :D...... :| ..... :D :D :D :D :D
AGENTCLUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 AGENTCLUNK
Member since 2005 • 156 Posts
odd i didnt know about the dvd support
bamf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bamf03
Member since 2003 • 1205 Posts
I was gutted when my PS2 broke in November. I got a PSTwo and then I was glad the PS2 broke. PSTwo is much more convient for me also disk trays tend to scratch the disks because you sought of slide the disk into place.
MsbS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MsbS
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts
I heard the slim one will overheat, any of yall had that problem yet?Vincent__Vega

I heard the manual said 'DON'T PUT IT IN THE OVEN' ;)

I have it and it never overheated. I only got one freeze, which was the game's fault I s'pose.
Kniferkia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kniferkia
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Vincent__Vega"]I heard the slim one will overheat, any of yall had that problem yet?MsbS

I heard the manual said 'DON'T PUT IT IN THE OVEN' ;)

I have it and it never overheated. I only got one freeze, which was the game's fault I s'pose.

Hmm Try Other Games?? Is The Lens Durable Anyway...
sierrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sierrad
I have never experienced any overheating.

Just malicious rumors!!!
bassboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bassboi
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
First Post :-D

About the overheating debate... I kept my PSTwo on for about 2~3 days straight because I was at a battle/point in FFX that didn't have a save point, and I really didn't feel like battling anymore because it gets quite annoying at times. I had touched it on the second day when I woke up, and it was slightly warm but nothing to be worried about. It was standing in the vertical position though.

I never really had any experiences with the older models since I just started playing PS2 games in November.

I'd like to add to one of the cons, the flip cover seems sort of flimsy, but being that I'm generally an older gamer and not a kid, I don't really see this as being a problem.
THPSfan6901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 THPSfan6901
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts
i think its a great idea for people that dont have the system allready. you get the network adaptor built in and it takes up little to no room
ALLoY1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 ALLoY1717
Member since 2003 • 6753 Posts

PSTwo .vs. PS2

~ PROS ~

~ CONS ~

- END -
sierrad

u forgot about the disc read error of the old PS2 cos i use to get that alot with mine but now i have the Slim one i have not once ever got any problems like that, so it is a better lens

Snowpeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Snowpeas
Member since 2003 • 647 Posts
Seriously for those of you that have not seen the slimps2 in life, the pictures of them really do not do them justice. I mean looking at the pictures in magazines they're small compare to the regular ps2. but in real life, its even smaller.
sierrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sierrad
Seriously for those of you that have not seen the slimps2 in life, the pictures of them really do not do them justice. I mean looking at the pictures in magazines they're small compare to the regular ps2. but in real life, its even smaller.Snowpeas

Yeah, agreed.....

And the console feels so light, and SeXy 8)
Ultra_Immortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ultra_Immortal
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
This is a really good FAQ.:)
EnderSR388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EnderSR388
Member since 2004 • 6552 Posts
the hdd was supposed to be out here along with the release of the ps2 ffxi, but neither have happenedfinal_sephiroth

What!? Where have you been!!
corndog54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 corndog54
I've just bought the PS2 Slimline and it is my first playstation period. I think the small size is great for my particular set up. I couldn't fit the regular PS2 in with my other conoles.
rezwan_islam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#32 rezwan_islam
Member since 2004 • 281 Posts
I've got both the old PS2 and the PStwo slimline(my old one broke after an idiot fell on it.) I have to say that the slimline is so much better and well worth ur moneynellyg619

Thumbs Up
YoungHustla07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 YoungHustla07
Member since 2005 • 289 Posts
PS2 Is much better than the PSTWO because the slim cant work with multi taps, which means only 2 ppl can only play, and i gotta bunch of 4 player games! i wish they had more 4 player games though, but timesplitters 3 is amazin 4 players!
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts

I was thinking of getting the Slimline now that my PS2 is broken down but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it considering the PS3 might be out soon. Thoughts?

RrOgG88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RrOgG88
Member since 2005 • 1634 Posts

PS2 is much better than PSTwohittin

You're right, and dog s_ _ _ is much better than chocolate.

bloggers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bloggers99
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
If you have to compare, it depends on your play style. I like strategy games, rpgs and the normal single/two player action games. For me, the slim rocks. Now, if you like say.....FFXI or Sports games with 8 of your friends at a party then go with the fatboy.
WaqarKhalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WaqarKhalid
Member since 2005 • 466 Posts
yes yes i dont knopw why i am answering lol
Leog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Leog2
Member since 2003 • 53 Posts
I can't even believe that you'll are debating this, All because you can't play FF online with a stinkin hard drive that comes in a hundred dollar bundle and a tray that pots open up, WOW, stop whining, The ps2 slim is the best progress for a console that is already the most powerful gaming console. I have both ps2 consoles and I just look at it them and think, OMFG, yet to this day and I've had it since it came out. With those two and my PSP, I probably don't have to worry about finding anything to play ever until the mother of all consoles comes out, THE PS3. When that happens I've have my complete family. No need for XBOX2 or Nintendo Revolution. By the way the answer is yes if you haven't figured it out. DUMBA$$.
Amranth570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Amranth570
Member since 2004 • 601 Posts

I was thinking of getting the Slimline now that my PS2 is broken down but I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it considering the PS3 might be out soon. Thoughts?

SaugaGames

You should try to get a used ps2? That way you save some money for ps3, and you still get to play ps2 games.

2ez24get

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 2ez24get
Member since 2003 • 11739 Posts
id take a big ps2 over the slim one anyday
corndog54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 corndog54
I agree with you totally, The pictures don't do justice as to how small the pstwo's actually are
corndog54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 corndog54
Man I was going through the same thing when I decided to get a new playstation. But think, Chaos Theory, Midnight club, Gran Turismo, all spring games that will have you playing all summer.
M-Yu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#43 M-Yu
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts
The Slimline Version looks cool.
goldenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 goldenfreak
Member since 2003 • 1190 Posts
on the comercial the y go "the more capable and more powerful ps2". whats up with that its the same system but just thiner. i hav one and its no different that the version one. the only difference is the size and the old version can take an internal non usb HDD.
dante1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dante1314
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Can you use boot discs with the slim PStwo? I've kept my PS1 for the past 3 years just to play import games. I don't care for mod chips, which is why I prefer the boot disc. Anybody know if a PS1 boot disc will work? If so, any idea if they have boot discs to play imports on a PS2? Or do I finally have to break down and get a Japanese PS2 to play imports?
doffythebest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 doffythebest
Member since 2004 • 802 Posts
Ok...
ocdchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ocdchild
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts

I play mine constantly, and for long periods of time. Hasn't overheated.

jmar2445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 jmar2445
Member since 2005 • 5317 Posts
Slimline=better.
Avatar image for TheLiberalTruth
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheLiberalTruth
Member since 2005 • 3151 Posts
Seriously for those of you that have not seen the slimps2 in life, the pictures of them really do not do them justice. I mean looking at the pictures in magazines they're small compare to the regular ps2. but in real life, its even smaller.Snowpeas
I have one of the slim 2's and like the people who have them have said, they don't overheat, they're sickeningly quiet (esp. compared to the jet aircraft sound of microsuck's console) and like you said snowpeas...they are TINY, no word or picture can quite explain it. And, at 900g (1.98 lbs for you metric illiterate :) ) it is VERY light, vs. the 2.2kg (5 lbs) of the old ones (and need I mention the 4kg behemoth that sits beside it on my tv stand). It does feel quite fragile, but I don't beat on things like a child. For people who are just getting the system, it is most certainly a good buy, although I would absolutely not recommend it if you already had a good, working-condition older style.
RPGamer23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RPGamer23
Member since 2004 • 1446 Posts

I need to say just one thing.

There is a multi-tap available for the slim PS2. There's a link:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/246090.asp