Is it just me, or is GS screwing up its reviews lately?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 alert0
Member since 2009 • 397 Posts

I thought I was the only one deeply disappointed when GS said ME2 had a great story. *Rant* ME2 is a great shooter, and the variations in abilities make for atleast 2 replays, but there is NO main story. There is some side story and it pulls most of its story from ME1, which is highly contrived and confusing.*/Rant* Then I head over to the user reviews section and see a lot of 'disappointed', 'step back for the franchise' et. al. and wonder, is GS beng driven by forces other than pure critical appraisal? Pre-conceived bias of any kind?

I thought ME2 was a one-off thing. Then I go over recently reviewed games, such as Dante's Inferno, White Knight Chronicles and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and see differences of two points between the GS score and the user score, and people asking, "Did GS review a different game?", and I'm kinda lost. Blindly choosing a game only if it had a GS rating of 8+ seems to be in the past, but I'm still hoping to understand all this.

For those of you with differing opinions, or those who've played any of the above games, do you agree with the topic header?

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
It's never "just you", on any conceivable topic. As for the user reviews questioning the GS score, any review that has the bulk of it's content about why the GS review is wrong lacks credibility. That many of these reviews went up, literally, within one hour of any gamers actually being able to get their hands on the game is pretty telling about what is actually fueling their passion. That's what happens when people who have already made up their minds about a game before they get it fail to have their purchase decision validated by this website. I believe it's called being "butthurt". It's not Gamespot's fault these people don't realize the review is for people who have not made up their mind about the game yet, and not for them.
alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alert0

It's never "just you", on any conceivable topic. As for the user reviews questioning the GS score, any review that has the bulk of it's content about why the GS review is wrong lacks credibility. That many of these reviews went up, literally, within one hour of any gamers actually being able to get their hands on the game is pretty telling about what is actually fueling their passion. That's what happens when people who have already made up their minds about a game before they get it fail to have their purchase decision validated by this website. I believe it's called being "butthurt". It's not Gamespot's fault these people don't realize the review is for people who have not made up their mind about the game yet, and not for them.ViewtifulScott

I can disagree with this specifically wrt ME2. All the reviews that came out within hours of the game being released were 9.5s or 10s. The 8s and 7.5s only started to creep in after a couple of days, when people had fully explored the universe. I'm not saying the 10s didn't keep coming in, but no-one was disappointed enough at the outset to give it a low score. Also, the reviews I mentioned weren't focused on contradicting GS, they were reviews in their own right. Yeah, we're all butthurt, or I wouldn't be ranting here, but I disagree with pretty much everything else you said.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ViewtifulScott

I can disagree with this specifically wrt ME2. All the reviews that came out within hours of the game being released were 9.5s or 10s. The 8s and 7.5s only started to creep in after a couple of days, when people had fully explored the universe. I'm not saying the 10s didn't keep coming in, but no-one was disappointed enough at the outset to give it a low score. So no, that sentiment is not valid here.

alert0

Yes, that sentiment is valid, your own post proved it beyond any reasonable doubt. Reviews coming in within an hour of most people playing the game lavishing it with praise are complete and utter BS. The more reasonable, maybe even outright low scores come in later, from people who played the game to completion first. The reviews came down with time for ME2 because the fanboys finally got it out of their system. The exact same thing will happen with Dante's Inferno. You actually validated my point while trying to disprove it.

Thank you. :)

The only difference between the ME2 fanboys and the DI fanboys is that the ME2 fanboys aren't prefacing their review with some flaccid shot at Gamespot's cred, but if ME2 scored lower, they would, like the DI fanboys are.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

You cant screw up an opinion.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ViewtifulScott

rzepak
IMO, the sky is purple.
alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 alert0

[QUOTE="alert0"]

[QUOTE="ViewtifulScott"]It's never "just you", on any conceivable topic. As for the user reviews questioning the GS score, any review that has the bulk of it's content about why the GS review is wrong lacks credibility. That many of these reviews went up, literally, within one hour of any gamers actually being able to get their hands on the game is pretty telling about what is actually fueling their passion. That's what happens when people who have already made up their minds about a game before they get it fail to have their purchase decision validated by this website. I believe it's called being "butthurt". It's not Gamespot's fault these people don't realize the review is for people who have not made up their mind about the game yet, and not for them.ViewtifulScott

I can disagree with this specifically wrt ME2. All the reviews that came out within hours of the game being released were 9.5s or 10s. The 8s and 7.5s only started to creep in after a couple of days, when people had fully explored the universe. I'm not saying the 10s didn't keep coming in, but no-one was disappointed enough at the outset to give it a low score. So no, that sentiment is not valid here.

Yes, that sentiment is valid, your own post proved it beyond any reasonable doubt. Reviews coming in within an hour of most people playing the game lavishing it with praise are complete and utter BS. The more reasonable, maybe even outright low scores come in later, from people who played the game to completion first. The reviews came down with time for ME2 because the fanboys finally got it out of their system. The exact same thing will happen with Dante's Inferno. You actually validated my point while trying to disprove it. Thank you. :)

Ahh, okay, let me clarify. Whatever we're agreeing or disagreeing on, what I'm trying to say is that the reviews questioning the GS score were not made hours after the game's release. Some of them were, but not all. And they all claimed their game was fun to play (DI et. al., not ME2 here). That's not likely to change with time. I judge a game's GS score as its fun factor. Then again, GS said Dante's Inferno was great fun and gave it a 6.5... I don't know what to make of the score anymore.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ViewtifulScott
Then again, GS said Dante's Inferno was great fun and gave it a 6.5... I don't know what to make of the score anymore.alert0
6.5 means "fair". Not "flop lmao".
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ViewtifulScott

Ahh, okay, let me clarify. Whatever we're agreeing or disagreeing on, what I'm trying to say is that the reviews questioning the GS score were not made hours after the game's release. Some of them were, but not all.alert0
It's not gamespot's fault those people are narrow minded enough to not be able to understand that not everyone will have the same opinions about a game. One man's trash, is another man's treasure. That old saying rings true to this day, sadly, some people just DON'T GET IT. They think their has to be one universal final word verdict on everything. Which is of course, naive and childish. But most people online are naive and childish, so it fits.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Naah, it is just you ;)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Nah it's not just you. Gamespot has been off on a lot of reviews this gen. Some of their reviews are spot on though, but it seems they've made quite a few bad calls and errors, and even neglect. They made errors in ToS2 review, ignored Rune Factory Frontier, did an extremely biased and unprofessional review with Radiant Dawn, just flat out don't know how to review most JRPGs, and over rate lots of others too.

yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

ViewtifulScott

IMO, the sky is purple.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#13 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

No. Simple as that. If you recall, most were annoyed that GS didn't give ME2 a HIGHER score, and were infantile in their pursuit of personal comfort. WKC is probably a game I'll like, but looking at other reviews, and the fact that 6.0 games can still be enjoyable, I'm not that aggravated at someone else's opinion of a game I haven't even played. The DI discussion is by far the worst and the most stupid. The game has gotten decent or mediocre reviews everywhere, and the few who have reviewed or scored the game are most likely those that have played the first few hours in the game, which are said to be pretty good. Almost everyone I've seen that have finished the game say the score is totally justified. It's a GoW rip-off that fails even that concept. It loses steam near the end and is generally not nearly as good as GoW. And the GoW comparisons are completely justified, since the game was advertised as a "good" God of War clone in hell. That didn't work out well... GS's score isn't far off from other reviews, so really, it's just the users throwing a fit, not looking at the game objectively. They've done it before. Honestly, why complain about a certain person's opinion of a game? It only comes out as stupid and childish.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44216 Posts

No I find their reviews to be fine. I'm coming to the end of Mass Effect 2 and the game and story has indeed been most excellent so I'd say the review of it has been quite accurate.

alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alert0

No I find their reviews to be fine. I'm coming to the end of Mass Effect 2 and the game and story has indeed been most excellent so I'd say the review of it has been quite accurate.

Archangel3371

When you do reach the end, tell me whether I was justified in ranting about the Main Story. All the side-quests and companion stuff is fine, but I was expecting a grandiose plot a la ME1 and it disappointed me badly. I guess my own opinions were a little too particular for the revamp to deal with.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Reviews are done in a way to make th game sell, usually filled with lies and hype and skiping the bad parts altougether!
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Reviews are done in a way to make th game sell, usually filled with lies and hype and skiping the bad parts altougether!dakan45

Reviewers aren't salesmen.

yanbuco2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yanbuco2712
Member since 2006 • 456 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Reviews are done in a way to make th game sell, usually filled with lies and hype and skiping the bad parts altougether!King9999

he's right about the hype part though, which explains GTAIV's score
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

alert0

When you do reach the end, tell me whether I was justified in ranting about the Main Story. All the side-quests and companion stuff is fine, but I was expecting a grandiose plot a la ME1 and it disappointed me badly. I guess my own opinions were a little too particular for the revamp to deal with.

Well I just finished it and I loved it. The ending gave me goosebumps. I thought the main story was pretty grandiose myself.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

How many people have mentioned that Mass Effect 2 has very little originality and is not much different in play from the first Mass Effect game?

If there had been much more added to ME2 other than upgraded graphics from the original it would have deserved a higher score.

as it is it is level upon level of sameness that is fun only if you never played the first Mass Effect and will not notice that the games are essentially the same.

alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 alert0

[QUOTE="alert0"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

Archangel3371

Well I just finished it and I loved it. The ending gave me goosebumps. I thought the main story was pretty grandiose myself.

Okay then, this gives me an opportunity to see the other side of the equation.

[spoiler] The main story of ME2 is thus: Collectors are abducting humans. Why? They're building a Reaper, a human-like Reaper that looks really nasty/cool/big/husk-like but is still far from completion. So, you collect all your crew members, keep them happy and get all their powers, make sure your ship is up to par, head through the Omega 4 Relay aaaand.... beat the crap out of the Baby Reaper and its lackeys, the Collectors. The End.That, is not a story by my standards. Telling me there's a big bad douche out there whose lackeys I have to gun down to get to = Boss in Borderlands [/spoiler]

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 King9999

How many people have mentioned that Mass Effect 2 has very little originality and is not much different in play from the first Mass Effect game?

If there had been much more added to ME2 other than upgraded graphics from the original it would have deserved a higher score.

as it is it is level upon level of sameness that is fun only if you never played the first Mass Effect and will not notice that the games are essentially the same.

iowastate

You do realize that ME2 is a sequel to the first game, right?I have played the first Mass Effect, and I can tell you that I had way more fun with ME2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@alert0 You're just boiling it down to it's base components, you can do that with any game. There's more to the story then that and the end of the game isn't simply "the end".

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 iowastate

I'm not saying it isn't a good game or fun to play. Just less in the way of new content than expected. Probably deserves the 7.5 I have seen it given.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Reviews are done in a way to make th game sell, usually filled with lies and hype and skiping the bad parts altougether!dakan45
This plus reviews are pretty much for casual gamers. Most core gamers know what they like and know all about a game they're interested in and basically ignore reviews.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
What do you mean "lately?" GS's reviews have always been controversial.
Ensamheten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ensamheten
Member since 2010 • 392 Posts

ME2 is a great shooter, and the variations in abilities make for atleast 2 replays, but there is NO main story. There is some side story and it pulls most of its story from ME1, which is highly contrived and confusing.*/Rant* alert0

Surprised? The sequel of a MS title is never near as great as the original was.

Halo(10/10) - Halo 2 (8/10)

Gears of War (10/10)- Gears of War 2 (4/10)

Mass Effect(8/10) - Mass Effect 2(7/10)

alert0: You don't even know how a good game-review looks like. The only team capable of writing such texts were a Swedish magazine called Super Play. They only wrote in Swedish(äran och hjältarnas språk)so I doubt you have read of their reviews. Therefore you should be quiet!:P

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

rzepak
I agree, Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but it deserved the score it got, it's slighty overated imo, I could go on about the issues that are in the game (a.i., bugs,glicthes, lack of rpg elements) but I won't really, just because everyone else scores it a 9.5 or higher doesn't mean GS has it, it's called a opinion.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

What do you mean "lately?" GS's reviews have always been controversial.JustPlainLucas
All reviews are controversial in the end of the day, it's their opinion, just because they get paid to do this, doesn't make them the be all of gaming.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

wizdom

I agree, Mass Effect 2 is a great game, but it deserved the score it got, it's slighty overated imo, I could go on about the issues that are in the game (a.i., bugs,glicthes, lack of rpg elements) but I won't really, just because everyone else scores it a 9.5 or higher doesn't mean GS has it, it's called a opinion.

Saying something is overrated is dissing opinion right then and there. Maybe you meant overstated.Check my sig for further information.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ViewtifulScott
[QUOTE="King9999"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Reviews are done in a way to make th game sell, usually filled with lies and hype and skiping the bad parts altougether!yanbuco2712

he's right about the hype part though, which explains GTAIV's score

Or the reviewers just liked the game more than you. I mean, it's a possibility that should be considered in an effort to be, ya know, reasonable.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

I thought I was the only one deeply disappointed when GS said ME2 had a great story. *Rant* ME2 is a great shooter, and the variations in abilities make for atleast 2 replays, but there is NO main story. There is some side story and it pulls most of its story from ME1, which is highly contrived and confusing.*/Rant* Then I head over to the user reviews section and see a lot of 'disappointed', 'step back for the franchise' et. al. and wonder, is GS beng driven by forces other than pure critical appraisal? Pre-conceived bias of any kind?

I thought ME2 was a one-off thing. Then I go over recently reviewed games, such as Dante's Inferno, White Knight Chronicles and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and see differences of two points between the GS score and the user score, and people asking, "Did GS review a different game?", and I'm kinda lost. Blindly choosing a game only if it had a GS rating of 8+ seems to be in the past, but I'm still hoping to understand all this.

For those of you with differing opinions, or those who've played any of the above games, do you agree with the topic header?

alert0
With thousands of scores in, the user score average is .3 and .4 pointers higher that the G.Spot score for PC and 360, respectively. You're argument is essentially rendered impotent at that point.
Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#34 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I am absolutely in love with Mass Effect 2. I agree that the story isn't brilliant by any means, but it's comparable in quality to Mass Effect, and I think it would make a solid science fiction novel if written. What more can you ask for? The "great" story games of this generation -- Bioshock, Uncharted 1 & 2 -- would make for dime novels as well if you put them on the page.
alert0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alert0

@alert0 You're just boiling it down to it's base components, you can do that with any game. There's more to the story then that and the end of the game isn't simply "the end".

Archangel3371

Sigh... I don't understand why you see it and I don't, or vice versa. Oh well, as long as Dragon Age stays Dragon Age, I don't really mind if ME goes in a new direction.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
I think all reviews from anywhere are mainly a preview to a game. They have little sway when it comes to me getting a game. I base my choices on demos and gameplay videos. I know what I like so if I seen something in a video that I like, than there is a good chance I'll like it. Also, it is soooo much better to actually get info yourself from the dev. I don't know how many previews of Borderlands had the WRONG info in it. A simple visit to the dev site would show the correct info. Lets face it, people at sites like this and in mags like Game Informer have a easy job and just get lazy. I don't trust them very much and all they are good for is killing time.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteWorld"]

[QUOTE="iowastate"]How many people have mentioned that Mass Effect 2 has very little originality and is not much different in play from the first Mass Effect game?

Ridiculous. ME2 is tremendously improved. What game are you playing? ME2 changed an enormous amount of things, how the hell can you not notice this? ME2 removed the Mako, it made the shooting more satisfying, it removed the floating grenades, it introduced the new heavy weapons, it jettisoned the horrible inventory, it introduced a vastly improved upgrade interface which also allows you to upgrade the ship, a new way to navigate the starmap, fuel and probes and planet scanning, the customization of your gear's colors and patterns, loads of new abilities like the Vanguard charge, the Engineer's probe and the Sentinel's knockback armor and I could keep going with this list.

And apart from all those new gameplay features it had a new story that starts off with a great, memorable cinematic moment and maintains your excitement and interest throughout and keeps you excited about the Reapers and the Collectors and the Omega 4 relay right until the end and ends on an epic note that made me feel like after I'd watched Fellowship of the Ring. Simultaneously satisfied by what I had experienced and excited about the next one. How in the name of Lucifer can you say it was essentially the same experience?

I did not like ME1 that much. I was happy I played it but it had problems with its gameplay that left me unsatisfied and the dialogue, decisions and missions often failed to interest me. ME2 convinced me that choices can be meaningful in a video game and sucked me in and didn't let go until the very end. I don't think I've ever felt so serene while playing a game while during ME1 I felt impatient and unsatisfied.

I am so ****ing sick of people like you who make inexplicably idiotic statements with no thought, no research and no intelligence put into them.

Exactly that, how the hell removing stuff is "improving"?
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I've never trusted user reviews. But I don't think they're screwing them up.

makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts
never really was too keen on reviews from the first place...i just look at some user scores and read up on info to determine if i want to get a game...simple put, i play what i like and place little emphasis on reviews.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
Well GS has a reputation of being the "Russian" Judge in the room and giving games lower reviews then they deserve. Thats why was so surprised when GS started giving out 9+'s on a weekly basis. Even gave two games a 10 in one year. Something i thought i would never see. I do think that GS tends to fluff up the scores for FPS games but in general they give rough grades
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I'm completely against the concept of "reviewing reviews". If you only agree with reviews that give a game the exact score that you would, then you should avoid reading reviews in the future; they're pointless.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 King9999

To the people who are complaining about the reviews: what would you suggest the reviewers do?

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#46 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

My observations is this. If the game is not utterly unique or polished to a mirror sheen, then it will not score in the 8s or higher at Gamespot anymore. If it is derivative or "been done before" it has to have a lot of polishing and production value (I.E. Modern Warfare 2) to get a good score. For instance WKC and Dante's Inferno have been compared to FFXI and XII and God of War respectively and that seems to be something the reviewers are judging harder lately.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
ME2 had no main story? Then what was all that stuff about stopping the collectors? Also gamespot reviews are always messed up.
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iowastate

controversial as they are I am a member of several gaming sites and I put more trust in Gamespot than any of the others because I have more faith in the opinions of the reviewers here.