GTA V: No Female Protagonist

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] nope. Whats weird is why the movie wasn't as well received as the games were.Lulu_Lulu
Thats because you lack the interactive element ;) Noone will be interested in a "game" you cant actually play.

Indeed, where it gets confusing is if somebody plays the game for the story.

And I liked both Advent Children and Spirit's Within. Although the stories in the games are better because they have more time to tell a good story. Advent Children was mostly good because of the fight scenes. I can't remember much from Spirit's Within, but I remember enjoying it. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#252 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] nope. Whats weird is why the movie wasn't as well received as the games were.

Thats because you lack the interactive element ;) Noone will be interested in a "game" you cant actually play.

Why? Final Fantasy is one of the best game stories out there.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Thats because you lack the interactive element ;) Noone will be interested in a "game" you cant actually play.Tropictrain

And I liked both Advent Children and Spirit's Within. Although the stories in the games are better because they have more time to tell a good story. Advent Children was mostly good because of the fight scenes. I can't remember much from Spirit's Within, but I remember enjoying it. 

i enjoyed the movies also, they are not great but they are not bad either.
Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#254 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Well considering this thread will likely remain front page hot for the next three weeks ( at least. Impressive though ). I'll leave a comment at another in-depth look at how a gender change would have made the story different than the one they wanted to tell.

Considering all the other movies and shows that Rockstar have tried to 'loosely' capture the VG essecnce of. (Man on Fire, Miami Vice, Godfather,) it seems GTA5 is 'very-loosely' going after elements of 1995's HEAT. They're planning and executing serial robberies, and experiencing each of robbers personal problems in between their scores and antics, and Trevor just appears at first sight like the loose cannon 'Waingro' 

A professional female in that outfit would not allow reckless man like 'Waingro' to exist or create as many problems as he did, and pull the entire crew into further police exposure. Hence the story would have dramatically changed. ( ex: Mona Sax  would've shot that man dead. TRUST ME. ) It also reflects how serial robber crew stories tend to be gender homogenous, and real the chemical imbalance or misplaced trust or hasty decisions in such groups also makes for good storytelling because everyone is compromised. unless there is DEEP seated trust is established tween the unit.( I.E. Turetto & Letty Fast & Furious, Bonnie & Clyde, Gary Sinise and Lili Taylor in Ransom " for awhile..." or real life stories like Card Counting Christians although those guys are a business not thieves in my view. )

Now thats not to say they couldn't have modeled 'Set it Off' thats a crew entirely of ladies that experience the same problem, but their loves did kinda weaken group cohesiveness.  I guess Dan Houser just picked what he could write with more immediate familiarity. Otherwise it would have been a writer who can better identify with women, and cast some some good ones too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Thats because you lack the interactive element ;) Noone will be interested in a "game" you cant actually play.

Never said it wasn't. I can't tell a good story from a great one, so I never delve into stuff like quality. Anyway the confusing part has nothing to do with how good the story is, its why would someone prefer the game over the movie with their reasoning like "the game is more interactive" despite the story being executed using the same non-interactive technique as the movie does, (assuming one plays games for the story)
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Never said it wasn't. I can't tell a good story from a great one, so I never delve into stuff like quality. Anyway the confusing part has nothing to do with how good the story is, its why would someone prefer the game over the movie with their reasoning like "the game is more interactive" despite the story being executed using the same non-interactive technique as the movie does, (assuming one plays games for the story)

First off, I'd like to point out that video game stories are usually (if not always) unique. That is to say, Resident Evil has a story. Asking "why play the game for the story when you can just watch a movie" has a very easy answer: because one can only experience that story by playing the game. And even after Hollywood makes a movie adaptation, it's still almost always going to have enough changes so as to not be the same story. If you're playing games for their stories, it's almost always the case that the only way to get that story is by playing the game. Yes, you could watch a movie instead, but it would be a different story. Having said that, I actually tend to prefer movies for stories. I think that, purely as far as storytelling goes, there are more talented individuals in the movie industry and that the lack of interaction in movies actually facilitates storytelling. Regardless of that though, games do not usually consist of JUST a story. Whereas a movie's story might imply that a character has stocked up on ammo and killed many foes, games are more likely to make you find every damn bullet and kill every single enemy. Movies are more concise and get to the point, whereas games actually let you have FUN by doing stuff that doesn't really add to the story one bit. That's part of the whole reason why these things are still GAMES. I still think that storytelling in movies is VASTLY better than the majority of game stories, but that's neither here nor there. Movies don't have games included. Games are fun. And sometimes I'm in the mood for a GAME that also has a good story to go along with it. The fact that the "story" parts are relegated to non-interactive cutscenes is a moot point. If I watched a movie instead, then I wouldn't be playing a GAME.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Indeed, where it gets confusing is if somebody plays the game for the story.Lulu_Lulu

Never said it wasn't. I can't tell a good story from a great one, so I never delve into stuff like quality. Anyway the confusing part has nothing to do with how good the story is, its why would someone prefer the game over the movie with their reasoning like "the game is more interactive" despite the story being executed using the same non-interactive technique as the movie does, (assuming one plays games for the story)

I already answered this question. First of all, the movies don't tell the story found in the game. Advent Children is a sequel to Final Fantasy 7. Why would I watch the sequel INSTEAD? That doesn't make any sense. Second, as I said before, the interactive component of video games improves the story. Not because the gameplay is fun necessarily, but it builds empathy for the main character. This is an empathy you can't get by watching a movie. That is why I prefer video games. The story itself doesn't need to be interactive for me to feel this. The story is improved by the empathy the gameplay creates. That's why I play games for the story. 

platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 platinumking320
Yeah. Not to mention that efforts are made to align gameplay with the story cutscenes they employ. Like the standard of important antagonists presumably being more formidable in battle. ( Defo in JRPGS ) Main avatar carrying the last device utility, or wearing outfit they had equipped in the cutscene. or stories that acknowledge any possible ludo narrative dissonance and try to adopt story around those inconsistencies instead of ignoring them ( sleeping dogs )
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Why? Final Fantasy is one of the best game stories out there.Tropictrain

I already answered this question. First of all, the movies don't tell the story found in the game. Advent Children is a sequel to Final Fantasy 7. Why would I watch the sequel INSTEAD? That doesn't make any sense. Second, as I said before, the interactive component of video games improves the story. Not because the gameplay is fun necessarily, but it builds empathy for the main character. This is an empathy you can't get by watching a movie. That is why I prefer video games. The story itself doesn't need to be interactive for me to feel this. The story is improved by the empathy the gameplay creates. That's why I play games for the story. 

My post was actualy suppose to be read hypothetically, I tried not give any specifics or examples, its quite obvious that stories in FF7 will be unique and different, you know, to prevent redundancy and confusion.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Never said it wasn't. I can't tell a good story from a great one, so I never delve into stuff like quality. Anyway the confusing part has nothing to do with how good the story is, its why would someone prefer the game over the movie with their reasoning like "the game is more interactive" despite the story being executed using the same non-interactive technique as the movie does, (assuming one plays games for the story)Lulu_Lulu

My post was actualy suppose to be read hypothetically, I tried not give any specifics or examples, its quite obvious that stories in FF7 will be unique and different, you know, to prevent redundancy and confusion.

And you completely ignored my second point again. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Tropictrain

you mean the gameplay mechanics.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#263 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

On playing a game only for the story:

I've done this quite a few times.  It was the major selling point for me playing the Legacy of Kain games, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, hell it was the ONLY reason I played Spec Ops: The Line.  Which is the one that has the best points for a strong story in a video game.

Spec Ops as a game is nothing but uninspired, run-of-the-mill cover based shooting, with very little to break up the tedium.  The story however, is fantastic.  It was clearly inspired by Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, the short novel the movie Apocalypse Now was based on.

The game really explores the grey uncertainty in war, that the "us versus them" mentality we as Americans tend to have is nice and idyllic, but hardly realistic.  It drives home that war is neither fun nor entertaining.  It also very clearly exposes just how disingenuous and downright disrespectful games like Battlefield and Call of Duty can be to these real world issues of war and terrorism.  Guaranteeing I'll never be able to enjoy another modern military shooter again that treats war like popcorn entertainment.

Now I know most would say "Then why not just read the book or watch the movie if the game isn't very good?", because I would have never made the connection to video games on this issue if the message wasn't through a video game.  Reading a book or watching a movie would have never made me consider the insincerity that's so pervasive in the military shooter genre.  Most people play video games seeing themselves as the main character, when they screw up in Mass Effect they don't say or think "Commander Shepard died", they say "I died".  They are the ones doing these actions, they aren't some passive observer, in their mind they are the ones causing these events to unfold.  So when terrible things happen in a video game that are a direct cause to the actions of the player, it carries far more impact than it would in a movie or book.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] My post was actualy suppose to be read hypothetically, I tried not give any specifics or examples, its quite obvious that stories in FF7 will be unique and different, you know, to prevent redundancy and confusion.Lulu_Lulu

And how it enhances the story, yes. 

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Tropictrain

I've done this quite a few times.  It was the major selling point for me playing the Legacy of Kain games, Alan Wake, Mass Effect, hell it was the ONLY reason I played Spec Ops: The Line.  Which is the one that has the best points for a strong story in a video game.

Spec Ops as a game is nothing but uninspired, run-of-the-mill cover based shooting, with very little to break up the tedium.  The story however, is fantastic.  It was clearly inspired by Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, the short novel the movie Apocalypse Now was based on.

The game really explores the grey uncertainty in war, that the "us versus them" mentality we as Americans tend to have is nice and idyllic, but hardly realistic.  It drives home that war is neither fun nor entertaining.  It also very clearly exposes just how disingenuous and downright disrespectful games like Battlefield and Call of Duty can be to these real world issues of war and terrorism.  Guaranteeing I'll never be able to enjoy another modern military shooter again that treats war like popcorn entertainment.

Now I know most would say "Then why not just read the book or watch the movie if the game isn't very good?", because I would have never made the connection to video games on this issue if the message wasn't through a video game.  Reading a book or watching a movie would have never made me consider the insincerity that's so pervasive in the military shooter genre.  Most people play video games seeing themselves as the main character, when they screw up in Mass Effect they don't say or think "Commander Shepard died", they say "I died".  They are the ones doing these actions, they aren't some passive observer, in their mind they are the ones causing these events to unfold.  So when terrible things happen in a video game that are a direct cause to the actions of the player, it carries far more impact than it would in a movie or book.

keech

Exactly. This is what point I've been trying to get across. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 Lulu_Lulu

Tropictrain

And how it enhances the story, yes. 

Then I have to pull out since thats not what I'm talking about.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="keech"]

Tropictrain

If you play the game for the story AND gameplay then what I said just sounds stupid.

I haven't played Spec Ops so I don't know exactly why the story is so special from an interactive perspective. But the way I hear it, the story (as good as it was) was still more observable than interactive. The story does provide context for the gameplay, but as I said before, assuming one plays games for the story and only the story (gameplay aside), why pick a game with a story that can only be experience passively, ofcourse excluding an obvious reason like "there isn't a movie/book equivalent of it" ?

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="keech"]

Lulu_Lulu

If you play the game for the story AND gameplay then what I said just sounds stupid.

I haven't played Spec Ops so I don't know exactly why the story is so special from an interactive perspective. But the way I hear it, the story (as good as it was) was still more observable than interactive. The story does provide context for the gameplay, but as I said before, assuming one plays games for the story and only the story (gameplay aside), why pick a game with a story that can only be experience passively, ofcourse excluding an obvious reason like "there isn't a movie/book equivalent of it" ?

The reason was given. No matter how many times we explain it you're not going to understand. Your problem is that you separate the gameplay from the story. You act as if when the gameplay starts, the story is put on hold. This is not true. We can't have a discussion about story in games without bringing up the gameplay. If you can't understand that then you don't understand games. And it's this kind of thinking that is holding back the industry. 

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I've seen this issue debated a few times on this board. The idea of female protagonists in a video game: does it matter?

GTA V has three leads, all of them male.

Does this bother you at all? If one of the three were female, would you not buy GTA V? Does it even need discussed?

I wrote a blog about it, and would love any feedback. Have a read, if you please.

http://www.gamespot.com/users/experience_fade/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-26035885

experience_fade

Nope. Why would I care if it featured a female or not?

journey and flower were awesome games that had no gender. If tomb raider had a man in the lead I would still have liked the game, or if samus was really a guy Id still love metroid.

When people try and inject too much reality into games and start worrying about which gender is doing what or being represented in certain ways you might as well quit playing games because youre worrying too much about a fictional fantasy video game instead of having fun with it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Lulu_Lulu

Tropictrain

The reason was given. No matter how many times we explain it you're not going to understand. Your problem is that you separate the gameplay from the story. You act as if when the gameplay starts, the story is put on hold. This is not true. We can't have a discussion about story in games without bringing up the gameplay. If you can't understand that then you don't understand games. And it's this kind of thinking that is holding back the industry. 

Most of the time the story is actualy on hold until the next cutscene.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] If you play the game for the story AND gameplay then what I said just sounds stupid.

Lulu_Lulu

Not from what I've experienced. And I'm not just talking about games where my actions affect the story. When I play the game, I'm living the story. Even if the gameplay isn't fun. Killer 7 is another game where the gameplay isn't fun and I have no control over the story. But it's one of my favourite games of all time. I play it for the story and it would not work nearly as well if it was in any other medium. It's an extremely surreal world which is truly enhanced by being able to explore it myself. The gameplay segments serves to enhance the story. If the story was removed I would not enjoy it at all.

Now if you still don't like my answer then I don't know what else I can say. That's the answer to why I play a game for the story and why I would prefer it over another medium. If you're still confused then I can't help you. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Lulu_Lulu

Tropictrain

Not from what I've experienced. And I'm not just talking about games where my actions affect the story. When I play the game, I'm living the story. Even if the gameplay isn't fun. Killer 7 is another game where the gameplay isn't fun and I have no control over the story. But it's one of my favourite games of all time. I play it for the story and it would not work nearly as well if it was in any other medium. It's an extremely surreal world which is truly enhanced by being able to explore it myself. The gameplay segments serves to enhance the story. If the story was removed I would not enjoy it at all.

Now if you still don't like my answer then I don't know what else I can say. That's the answer to why I play a game for the story and why I would prefer it over another medium. If you're still confused then I can't help you. 

Don't know Killer 7. I'm not confused, we just aren't talking about the same thing anymore.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Most of the time the story is actualy on hold until the next cutscene. Lulu_Lulu

Don't know Killer 7. I'm not confused, we just aren't talking about the same thing anymore.

You keep saying that, but you are.

You've asked numorous times,  "assuming one plays games for the story and only the story (gameplay aside), why pick a game with a story that can only be experience passively."

What Tropic said is the answer to your question. I don't know why it's so hard for you to see that. He's ansered you about as many times as you asked. But you keep saying you're not talking about the same thing...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Lulu_Lulu

lazyathew

You keep saying that, but you are.

You've asked numorous times,  "assuming one plays games for the story and only the story (gameplay aside), why pick a game with a story that can only be experience passively."

What Tropic said is the answer to your question. I don't know why it's so hard for you to see that. He's ansered you about as many times as you asked. But you keep saying you're not talking about the same thing...

And I stand by what I said. I'm just having a hard time turning it into words because Mr. Train keeps mentioning gameplay where I didn't (or didn't mean to).

and yeah one can treat gameplay and story as seperate entities.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] And I stand by what I said. I'm just having a hard time turning it into words because Mr. Train keeps mentioning gameplay where I didn't (or didn't mean to).

I actually agree with you that many (if not most) games don't use (most of the) gameplay in a way that is necessary to the story. But that's sort of beside the point. Some stories are ONLY accessible by playing a video game. And even if one operates under the (incorrect) notion that gameplay and story are ENTIRELY separate, gameplay is often seen as desirable and one wouldn't experience that by watching a movie. But yeah, I get both sides of the argument. I'll cite The Last of Us as just a single example. TLOU was heavily story oriented. And even though much of the story was delivered via noninteractive cutscenes, the gameplay is NOT separate from the story. Through gameplay, characters make comments that elaborate on the story. The player finds notes and messages that elaborate on the story. The setting itself is relevant to the story. One comes across certain ruined settings and visual cues spark the imagination and lead the player into speculating on what happened there. And hell, I can't even fault TLOU on my standard video game complaint of not being concise. Was TLOU inefficient with the time-to-story ration of its storytelling? Maybe. I complain all the time that movies know when to cut stuff out whereas games don't. Yet, in TLOU, part of the point of the story was a long journey under which the characters undergo change. The extended and prolonged nature of video games actually contributes to that, IMO. It's appropriate to the story. Having said that, there most certainly were gameplay sequences in TLOU that amounted to little more than chores. Kill enough bad guys until you reach the goal, look through enough closets and desks until you find enough spare parts to make your gun better, yadda yadda yadda. I feel like TLOU did a very good job of making the gameplay relevant to the story. On the other hand, it's still a video game and has artifacts of the "kill $hit, find stuff, reach the end" methodology which has been present in games since the beginning. It's a mixed bag. Interactivity can help or hurt, and various games will do each to various degrees. If I'm to generalize, then I'd say that yes, video games in general are notorious for having gameplay that doesn't serve the story and only drags the game out (provided that one is playing SOLELY for the story). However, that typically doesn't apply to EVERY aspect of gameplay. Even in bad video games, it's typical for setting of levels to help establish story, or for gameplay to help establish mood and pacing. I'd argue that to say that story and gameplay are generally ENTIRELY separate is to not give the game the credit that it deserves. I don't think I've ever played a game that flawlessly integrated story and gameplay, and even bad games tend to integrate story and gameplay to at least some degree. The extent to which it is successfully accomplished just depends on the game in question.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] And I stand by what I said. I'm just having a hard time turning it into words because Mr. Train keeps mentioning gameplay where I didn't (or didn't mean to).

I actually agree with you that many (if not most) games don't use (most of the) gameplay in a way that is necessary to the story. But that's sort of beside the point. Some stories are ONLY accessible by playing a video game. And even if one operates under the (incorrect) notion that gameplay and story are ENTIRELY separate, gameplay is often seen as desirable and one wouldn't experience that by watching a movie. But yeah, I get both sides of the argument. I'll cite The Last of Us as just a single example. TLOU was heavily story oriented. And even though much of the story was delivered via noninteractive cutscenes, the gameplay is NOT separate from the story. Through gameplay, characters make comments that elaborate on the story. The player finds notes and messages that elaborate on the story. The setting itself is relevant to the story. One comes across certain ruined settings and visual cues spark the imagination and lead the player into speculating on what happened there. And hell, I can't even fault TLOU on my standard video game complaint of not being concise. Was TLOU inefficient with the time-to-story ration of its storytelling? Maybe. I complain all the time that movies know when to cut stuff out whereas games don't. Yet, in TLOU, part of the point of the story was a long journey under which the characters undergo change. The extended and prolonged nature of video games actually contributes to that, IMO. It's appropriate to the story. Having said that, there most certainly were gameplay sequences in TLOU that amounted to little more than chores. Kill enough bad guys until you reach the goal, look through enough closets and desks until you find enough spare parts to make your gun better, yadda yadda yadda. I feel like TLOU did a very good job of making the gameplay relevant to the story. On the other hand, it's still a video game and has artifacts of the "kill $hit, find stuff, reach the end" methodology which has been present in games since the beginning. It's a mixed bag. Interactivity can help or hurt, and various games will do each to various degrees. If I'm to generalize, then I'd say that yes, video games in general are notorious for having gameplay that doesn't serve the story and only drags the game out (provided that one is playing SOLELY for the story). However, that typically doesn't apply to EVERY aspect of gameplay. Even in bad video games, it's typical for setting of levels to help establish story, or for gameplay to help establish mood and pacing. I'd argue that to say that story and gameplay are generally ENTIRELY separate is to not give the game the credit that it deserves. I don't think I've ever played a game that flawlessly integrated story and gameplay, and even bad games tend to integrate story and gameplay to at least some degree. The extent to which it is successfully accomplished just depends on the game in question.

Uhm yeah. What you said. ;) . (just woke up, brain still sleeping).
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
GTA is a very immature game, women should see it as a victory that they're not in the game as the player character.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Jacanuk

Most of the time the story is actualy on hold until the next cutscene. Lulu_Lulu
Either you have played some really shitty games but 90% of the games that have been released lately dont stop the story while you play and contiune it in the next cutscene.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Most of the time the story is actualy on hold until the next cutscene. Jacanuk

Either you have played some really shitty games but 90% of the games that have been released lately dont stop the story while you play and contiune it in the next cutscene.

Tomb Raider did it.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Tropictrain

And I stand by what I said. I'm just having a hard time turning it into words because Mr. Train keeps mentioning gameplay where I didn't (or didn't mean to).

Lulu_Lulu

Well then you'll never understand why someone would play a video game for the story. If you ignore the gameplay and only look at the cutscenes then obviously a movie would be the better option. But if you ignore the gameplay you ignore what makes it a video game. It's like asking "Why would someone watch a movie for the story instead of the book? (Ignore the audio and visuals.)" You position the question so that no one can possibly answer it and act as if you're victorious. The interactive component of the medium can do a lot more to deliver narrative than allowing the player to change the story. If you don't see that then you don't understand a video game's true potential. And no matter how many times we explain it to you, you never will. You think cut scenes are the only way to tell story. Since I'm playing through it right now, I'll point to Batman Arkham Asylum as an example that proves you wrong. The story is definitely not put on hold during gameplay. The Scarecrow segments in particular tell more story through the gameplay than through cutscenes. Why is this so hard for you to understand? You can't discuss story in games without bringing up gameplay. This is at least the case when the developer is trying to take full advantage of the medium. This, perhaps, doesn't happen as often as it should but you seem to refuse to believe it can happen at all. And yet you complain that developers don't take full advantage of the interactive component of games. Some games, such as Arkham Asylum, just don't lend themselves to a branching narrative. But they take advantage of the gameplay to enhance the story. And they do a very good job of it. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Most of the time the story is actualy on hold until the next cutscene. Lulu_Lulu

Tomb Raider did it.

Which Tomb Raider? if your talking about 2013 , i couldn´t disagree more. Infact that game actually did a good job of using the time your incontrol to advance the story.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] And I stand by what I said. I'm just having a hard time turning it into words because Mr. Train keeps mentioning gameplay where I didn't (or didn't mean to).

Tropictrain

Well then you'll never understand why someone would play a video game for the story. If you ignore the gameplay and only look at the cutscenes then obviously a movie would be the better option. But if you ignore the gameplay you ignore what makes it a video game. It's like asking "Why would someone watch a movie for the story instead of the book? (Ignore the audio and visuals.)" You position the question so that no one can possibly answer it and act as if you're victorious. The interactive component of the medium can do a lot more to deliver narrative than allowing the player to change the story. If you don't see that then you don't understand a video game's true potential. And no matter how many times we explain it to you, you never will. You think cut scenes are the only way to tell story. Since I'm playing through it right now, I'll point to Batman Arkham Asylum as an example that proves you wrong. The story is definitely not put on hold during gameplay. The Scarecrow segments in particular tell more story through the gameplay than through cutscenes. Why is this so hard for you to understand? You can't discuss story in games without bringing up gameplay. This is at least the case when the developer is trying to take full advantage of the medium. This, perhaps, doesn't happen as often as it should but you seem to refuse to believe it can happen at all. And yet you complain that developers don't take full advantage of the interactive component of games. Some games, such as Arkham Asylum, just don't lend themselves to a branching narrative. But they take advantage of the gameplay to enhance the story. And they do a very good job of it. 

:| Uhm . . . . Wow okay. Great example with the scarecrow by the way. Anyway you're under the impression I'm trying to win an Argument, I'm not. I'm saying there are people, many of them infact, who play games for the story and only for the story with their reasoning being its for the interativity, for the scarecrow segment in AA it makes sense, for the Joker segments it doesn't. I replayed it once, skipping many of the cutscenes and believe me, The Joker was nothing compared to Dr. Crane. I'm not trying to win anything here nor am I oblivious to video game's true potential, I just wana see if you see things the way I do . . . . . If not then I gladly embrace losing whatever it is you think we're arguing about and by on my merry way.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Tropictrain

Uhm . . . . Wow okay. Great example with the scarecrow by the way. Anyway you're under the impression I'm trying to win an Argument, I'm not. I'm saying there are people, many of them infact, who play games for the story and only for the story with their reasoning being its for the interativity, for the scarecrow segment in AA it makes sense, for the Joker segments it doesn't. I replayed it once, skipping many of the cutscenes and believe me, The Joker was nothing compared to Dr. Crane. I'm not trying to win anything here nor am I oblivious to video game's true potential, I just wana see if you see things the way I do . . . . . If not then I gladly embrace losing whatever it is you think we're arguing about and by on my merry way.Lulu_Lulu

Yes there are many people like that. And I'm trying to explain why that's the case. And you're unable to see why that is the case. 

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Either you have played some really shitty games but 90% of the games that have been released lately dont stop the story while you play and contiune it in the next cutscene.Jacanuk
Tomb Raider did it.

Which Tomb Raider? if your talking about 2013 , i couldn´t disagree more. Infact that game actually did a good job of using the time your incontrol to advance the story.

Yes the reboot. Yeah, in the begining, Play it again, skipping the cutscenes.

the story and gameplay complimented each other very very well, but I still experienced the story passively, not as much as Final Fantasy, but enough piece together most of the plot by cutscene alone.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

Yes there are many people like that. And I'm trying to explain why that's the case. And you're unable to see why that is the case. 

Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Uhm . . . . Wow okay. Great example with the scarecrow by the way. Anyway you're under the impression I'm trying to win an Argument, I'm not. I'm saying there are people, many of them infact, who play games for the story and only for the story with their reasoning being its for the interativity, for the scarecrow segment in AA it makes sense, for the Joker segments it doesn't. I replayed it once, skipping many of the cutscenes and believe me, The Joker was nothing compared to Dr. Crane. I'm not trying to win anything here nor am I oblivious to video game's true potential, I just wana see if you see things the way I do . . . . . If not then I gladly embrace losing whatever it is you think we're arguing about and by on my merry way.Tropictrain

Well, whatever, you win.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] [QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] Uhm . . . . Wow okay. Great example with the scarecrow by the way. Anyway you're under the impression I'm trying to win an Argument, I'm not. I'm saying there are people, many of them infact, who play games for the story and only for the story with their reasoning being its for the interativity, for the scarecrow segment in AA it makes sense, for the Joker segments it doesn't. I replayed it once, skipping many of the cutscenes and believe me, The Joker was nothing compared to Dr. Crane. I'm not trying to win anything here nor am I oblivious to video game's true potential, I just wana see if you see things the way I do . . . . . If not then I gladly embrace losing whatever it is you think we're arguing about and by on my merry way.Lulu_Lulu

Well, whatever, you win.

No I don't.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Lulu_Lulu

Tropictrain

Well, whatever, you win.

No I don't.

LOL. The Irony !
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#288 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

So?

No creative work should have to be comprised of a list of bullet points. If the creators' vision for the game didn't feature a female lead, that's fine. I'd be fine if the game featured ALL female leads as well. I'm sort of sick of people thinking that every goddamn thing that gets made has to have this magical list of ingredients to be fair to everyone and well-rounded. Fvck that. Make the games as the vision of the creator(s) dictates. 

Shame-usBlackley
This.. the devs make the game and we play and enjoy it. People need to stop crying over every little thing.
Mink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Mink
Member since 2005 • 1794 Posts
[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

So?

No creative work should have to be comprised of a list of bullet points. If the creators' vision for the game didn't feature a female lead, that's fine. I'd be fine if the game featured ALL female leads as well. I'm sort of sick of people thinking that every goddamn thing that gets made has to have this magical list of ingredients to be fair to everyone and well-rounded. Fvck that. Make the games as the vision of the creator(s) dictates. 

Rattlesnake_8
This.. the devs make the game and we play and enjoy it. People need to stop crying over every little thing.

They do, and we do, but as a woman who's been playing GTA games since about 2000, first GTA2 I dabbled in, then I remember I had GTA3 when was 11, my mom was cool like that. I'm in my 20s now, and I'd like the chance to play as a woman, I love the series but after a while I just want that chance. So it bothers me, but not enough to not buy it, it's just taking so long I'm like am I going to be in my 30s or 40s before they actually make a female protagonist? I vividly remember the day I got GTA3, time is flying on us all.
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 platinumking320

Tropictrain

Ah. So that's why this thread is still going. Should've been a seperate thread on ludo narrative dissonance and cutscenes. I'll put it this way, the way cutscenes provide plot-based setups for in game events, obstacles or setpieces is an obvious way in which gameplay and story have been working together for years. The only issue with ludo narrative dissonance is that MORE gameplay and narrative tools have to be found to marry players regular actions together in context with the story.

'Pyramid Head' in Silent Hill 2 wouldn't have acheived his creepy ass notoriety without cutscenes. Of course there were a lot of suggestive placements and sound fx in that apartment, but the point still stands. Not that every action or rpg does this effectively, but one example is early cutscenes that introduce unfamiliar major villains are meant to formulate initial player perceptions of this villain before the supposed "actual beast" is revealed in all its endurance, ugly looks and oppressive powers in a later battle.

There are also foreshadowing cutscenes that hint at random encounters and traps you'll run into later. Resident Evil and FF series made use of that.

In FF7 we felt what we now call "permadeath" because of Aerith. So the two are not exclusively oil and water. I think some folks just have  tunnel vision because of critical gamers fallout and derivative trends in this current gen. Art and games still have way more potential beyond the skew we constantly view them with.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

platinumking320

Ah. So that's why this thread is still going. Should've been a seperate thread on ludo narrative dissonance and cutscenes. I'll put it this way, the way cutscenes provide plot-based setups for in game events, obstacles or setpieces is an obvious way in which gameplay and story have been working together for years. The only issue with ludo narrative dissonance is that MORE gameplay and narrative tools have to be found to marry players regular actions together in context with the story.

'Pyramid Head' in Silent Hill 2 wouldn't have acheived his creepy ass notoriety without cutscenes. Of course there were a lot of suggestive placements and sound fx in that apartment, but the point still stands. Not that every action or rpg does this effectively, but one example is early cutscenes that introduce unfamiliar major villains are meant to formulate initial player perceptions of this villain before the supposed "actual beast" is revealed in all its endurance, ugly looks and oppressive powers in a later battle.

There are also foreshadowing cutscenes that hint at random encounters and traps you'll run into later. Resident Evil and FF series made use of that.

In FF7 we felt what we now call "permadeath" because of Aerith. So the two are not exclusively oil and water. I think some folks just have  tunnel vision because of critical gamers fallout and derivative trends in this current gen. Art and games still have way more potential beyond the skew we constantly view them with.

I derailed this thread, and now it won't go away :(
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 platinumking320

[QUOTE="platinumking320"]

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Lulu_Lulu

Yeah. but it did kinda start on a different topic. I wonder if we should hand the mic back to experience_fade now.

Maybe it's all  this ominous, ghostly glass ceiling of criticism on what video games in pop opinions "can and can't be"  being manifested in different ways in our society. I think thats what gamers are really railing against, but its also in different ways.

We've got congressional pressure after newtown. game Journalism criticism of action games in general after a bunch of CoDs, male action jingoism dissonance with  real world , industry desperation, layoffs and politics.  Gamasutra's belief that games will never be considered as Art in the future. Take your pick. Its all part of a larger mess.

but IMO games always opened my mind to their vast potential, more so than caused me to lament their limits.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="platinumking320"]

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Lulu_Lulu

Well, at least the topic you brought is more interesting than some pseudo shit about females being lead in a GTA game.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Well, at least the topic you brought is more interesting than some pseudo shit about females being lead in a GTA game.

But I love females! They jiggle :P!
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Well, at least the topic you brought is more interesting than some pseudo shit about females being lead in a GTA game.

Who doesnt love females :D they are soft and smell nice and have a frontal feed station :D
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Jacanuk"] Well, at least the topic you brought is more interesting than some pseudo shit about females being lead in a GTA game.

Who doesnt love females :D they are soft and smell nice and have a frontal feed station :D

LMAO Godbless the marketing team that invented such versatile creatures !
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Jacanuk"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] But I love females! They jiggle :P! Lulu_Lulu

LMAO Godbless the marketing team that invented such versatile creatures !

Yep :D who ever did that needs to get a teddy for their good work :D
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#298 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

nope it doesnt bother me at all and frankly speaking i dont know why anyone would want a female protagonist as a gta character. i thought female gamers want non negative,typecast, objectified women?

i say if females want more great female characters, get in the industry and fight the system...make your own studios and make games. developers are going to make games they want to play, and if they want a male lead for THEIR game, why would anyone tell them their vision is wrong? not objectifing women shouldnt always be in games, but there are some women that are vicitims to those circumstances, lets not ignore that fact either. lets just have a balance for both males and females in both positive AND negative light