Game franchises that betrayed their original fanbase

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This gen more than any other (IMO) has shown an unfortunate turn for simplicity rather than growth. The advancements in technology are being used more for cinematic flourish instead of creating new and different gameplay options that were not possible last gen. This generally has lead to some franchises betraying their original fanbase.

-Final Fantasy: People once loved this series for it's vast worlds to explore and stat building. Final Fantasy XIII did away with all exploration and item and stat management means very little when your characters are healed to full after every single battle. There's none of that trying to survive through a dungeon feeling that most RPGs give. Basically this was a new IP that was decided to be called the next installment in a beloved series.

-Mass Effect: There's no denying that there was a massive transformation from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. Fans of Bioware were fans of great RPG experiences. Mass Effect mostly appeased these fans and they hotly anticipate the sequel. Unfortunately for the oiginal fans, Mass Effect 2 was simplified to a startling degree and its RPG elements thinned out. The fans of the original Mass Effect, fans of stat building and exploring, were ignored in favour of the large Call of Duty market.

Can you think of any other franchises that transformed and betrayed their original fanbases?

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Betrayal! Fear! Fire! Foes!

The gates of the city have been opened from within and all is lost! The streets run red with the blood of the true believers!

I'm thinking a giant wooden Cloud Strife, filled with the merciless warriors of evolution and new directions. Weep, o keepers of the faith. That you should have lived to see such times...

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
Mirror's Edge may be going the unwanted route, form the trailer i saw a couple of hours ago for the sequel. Male lead only - Faith's son since Faith has been kidnapped - and most likely turned into yet another shooter. Guess it was too much to ask for for EA to not interfere with that game.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

BioWare for one. First Mass Effect - great. Then, everything went downhill. Same with Dragon Age Origins

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 0rbs
Member since 2007 • 1947 Posts

Fallout series. Definately the Final Fantasy series.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts
Final Fantasy Series and Resident Evil Series
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Final Fantasy has become awful with XIII; XIII-2 and XIV. Let's hope they return to their origins with awesome games.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 0rbs

Final Fantasy has become awful with XIII; XIII-2 and XIV. Let's hope they return to their origins with awesome games.

tjricardo089

Don't ever see that happening.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts
I can't think of any game franchises that I've played that have "betrayed" their original fanbase. I've been a fan of ones like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age just to name a few and I'm still very much a fan of them now. Usually I find that most of the changes they've made are for the better.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
megaman legends 3 was the worst betrayal I have ever felt.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 0rbs

I can't think of any game franchises that I've played that have "betrayed" their original fanbase. I've been a fan of ones like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age just to name a few and I'm still very much a fan of them now. Usually I find that most of the changes they've made are for the better.Archangel3371

You think Final Fantasy is better now than it was?

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Dragon Fail and Ass Effect

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

splinter cell, they betrayed us and gave SC:Conviction, a poor excuse of changing the whole game machanics and a crappy plot.

in defense of Mass Effect, the original fan are whining about the new "reload system" as do I, we want the old overheating gun machanic back thats all.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

resident evil......

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I can't think of any game franchises that I've played that have "betrayed" their original fanbase. I've been a fan of ones like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age just to name a few and I'm still very much a fan of them now. Usually I find that most of the changes they've made are for the better.0rbs

I don't think I'd say it is better per se but I do find FFXIII and FFXIII-2 to be just as good.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]Mirror's Edge may be going the unwanted route, form the trailer i saw a couple of hours ago for the sequel. Male lead only - Faith's son since Faith has been kidnapped - and most likely turned into yet another shooter. Guess it was too much to ask for for EA to not interfere with that game.

Uuugghhh... I really don't want to even think what EA is going to lock out for first-day DLC. Or how little creative control DICE actually has.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
Knowing EA, they'll likely have a multi player element slapped in while having the first day DLC be half the game itself and charge a fair amount of points for it.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
megaman legends 3 was the worst betrayal I have ever felt.garrett_duffman
Absolutely, so much promises of community participation and the return of Megaman in a big way only to have our hopes shot down on the 11th hour. Ugh!
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Mass effect 2 was horrible though. Yes it had more focus on RPG and more non-linear level design. Doesn't mean it was implemented well at all.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I can't think of any game franchises that I've played that have "betrayed" their original fanbase. I've been a fan of ones like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age just to name a few and I'm still very much a fan of them now. Usually I find that most of the changes they've made are for the better.Archangel3371

I don't think I'd say it is better per se but I do find FFXIII and FFXIII-2 to be just as good.

I find them to be not even playable compared to the older ones.

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

Dragon Fail and Ass Effect

Darth_Kane

OMG so funny and so original! Dragon "Fail" and "Ass" Effect!!!

Ahahahahahaha, you're so funny dude. You crack me up. seriously you're too damn funny

[spoiler] sarcasm obviously [/spoiler]

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="0rbs"]

0rbs

Well to each their own.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I don't think I'd say it is better per se but I do find FFXIII and FFXIII-2 to be just as good.Archangel3371

Well to each their own.

Agreed. I really do hope can get a revisit to their old flavor of the game. Variety never hurts.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="0rbs"]

0rbs

Well to each their own.

Agreed. I really do hope can get a revisit to their old flavor of the game. Variety never hurts.

I certainly wouldn't mind a revisit to an earlier style of theirs either, I can still enjoy an old-school RPG as well.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Well to each their own.Archangel3371

I certainly wouldn't mind a revisit to an earlier style of theirs either, I can still enjoy an old-school RPG as well.

I might actually buy the Final Fantasy IV: the complete collection for psp, on vita right now.

EXEraserVS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EXEraserVS
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

I like the more action-oriented TPS in Mass Effect 2. I thought it blended nicely with the RPG elements and evolved the series.

Dragon Age 2 felt more like a betrayal to the fanbase more than ME.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

BioWare for one. First Mass Effect - great. Then, everything went downhill. >EvilSelf

I don;t even have to post...lol
ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
Fallout series. Felt like punching people.
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 0rbs

BioWare for one. First Mass Effect - great. Then, everything went downhill. Same with Dragon Age Origins

EvilSelf

Kind of like this post.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
Final Fantasy - Layered. First VIII, then XI, then XII. Nowadays VIII actually fits in with the series. Perfect example of "they changed it, now it sucks." The Legend of Zelda - Cutting back steadily on dungeons, excessive hand-holding, and way too much filler. Street Fighter - SFIV may be the biggest betrayal in gaming history. Discarded the logic SF was built on just to grow the playerbase.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

0rbs
You have one of the best sigs i have ever seen.
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I don't see it as 'betraying' which is just another word for 'sellout' that I don't find even exists. Developers, much like musicians, create art and if you've been working on a project for yrs with many releases, ofcourse it's going to change. It's more of the fact of making it different and people simply say they 'sellout' becuase it's not the same. If you were in their postion, you'd do the same.

Maybe I interperated the topic, but that's the way I look at it. So, nothing has 'betrayed' their fan bases.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

I don't see it as 'betraying' which is just another word for 'sellout' that I don't find even exists. Developers, much like musicians, create art and if you've been working on a project for yrs with many releases, ofcourse it's going to change. It's more of the fact of making it different and people simply say they 'sellout' becuase it's not the same. If you were in their postion, you'd do the same.

Maybe I interperated the topic, but that's the way I look at it. So, nothing has 'betrayed' their fan bases.

enz2
sounds like a vote for megaman legends 3. I mean COME ON we were supposed to at least get a demo with the 3DS launch! it got held back for 2 months then out of nowhere it gets cancelled! GRR... im still so mad.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

splinter cell, they betrayed us and gave SC:Conviction, a poor excuse of changing the whole game machanics and a crappy plot.

punkpunker

This

Conviction is the best example of a betrayal. Completely different game, different genre, & the complete opposite of what it originally was.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

punkpunker

This, whoever thought to make a stealth game without the stealth should have been fired, it's like saying 'lets make a Batman game without Batman'.

0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 0rbs

[QUOTE="0rbs"]

mystic_knight

You have one of the best sigs i have ever seen.

Thanks, I'm actually working on a better banner in PS right now.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Another I remembered was the Suikoden series. After the first 2 the series took a dive and has not recovered.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
Another I remembered was the Suikoden series. After the first 2 the series took a dive and has not recovered.Dracula68
Really? For me it was the other way around. III was very refreshing after the "press X until everything's dead" first two games.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

brucecambell

This

Conviction is the best example of a betrayal. Completely different game, different genre, & the complete opposite of what it originally was.

No. It's not.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

[QUOTE="punkpunker"]

Metamania

This

No. It's not.

Yes. It is.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#42 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
Dues Ex Rainbow Six NHL Hitz
Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

This gen more than any other (IMO) has shown an unfortunate turn for simplicity rather than growth. The advancements in technology are being used more for cinematic flourish instead of creating new and different gameplay options that were not possible last gen. This generally has lead to some franchises betraying their original fanbase.

-Final Fantasy: People once loved this series for it's vast worlds to explore and stat building. Final Fantasy XIII did away with all exploration and item and stat management means very little when your characters are healed to full after every single battle. There's none of that trying to survive through a dungeon feeling that most RPGs give. Basically this was a new IP that was decided to be called the next installment in a beloved series.

-Mass Effect: There's no denying that there was a massive transformation from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. Fans of Bioware were fans of great RPG experiences. Mass Effect mostly appeased these fans and they hotly anticipate the sequel. Unfortunately for the oiginal fans, Mass Effect 2 was simplified to a startling degree and its RPG elements thinned out. The fans of the original Mass Effect, fans of stat building and exploring, were ignored in favour of the large Call of Duty market.

Can you think of any other franchises that transformed and betrayed their original fanbases?

Pikminmaniac

It's a **** shame really, stick to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. From Software won't disappoint you.

gamerdude375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gamerdude375
Member since 2012 • 204 Posts

Fallout Series - Fallout 1 & 2 cultivated a strong fan following, and became classic examples of the CRPG genre. It had a great world, clever writing, interesting characters you'd come across, and creative pop-culture references and great pop-culture easter eggs. Fallout Tactics was a bit of a mis-step, but even that retained the essential core traits that made the series.....unfortunately, starting with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on consoles in 2004, the series became dumbed down and an action-oriented series, ranging from more action third or first person style of gameplay, and less of an emphasis on strong writing and characters...and this continued into Fallout 3.
Fallout: New Vegas somewhat took things back to the series original roots in terms of atmosphere, writing and characters, especially in comparison to Fallout 3....but New Vegas was still mainly chained to Fallout 3's type of gameplay.

Rainbow Six series - This used to be the go-to tactical FPS series....key word "tactical". You had specific mission planning, team paths, teammate rosters based on ability and stats, etc. You actually had to plan out a mission and use tactics. That all went out the window when the series became a more-arcadey shooter, which even had crap like blind-firing, which is about as UN-tactical as you can get.

Silent Hill series - The first three Silent Hill games were composed from great atmosphere that delivered tension and scares, unsettling philosophical themes, references to cult horror tv shows and movies as well as clasic horror literature.
The first SH dealt with a creepy supernatural town and the mystery of what was causing it while I guy looked for his lost daughter.....what most people who never played the original (or third game) don't realize, cause they're not true fans, is that the original storyline was just as much about a girl named Alessa as it was about the town itself and a mysterious cult within it.
The second game, though a completely seperate storyline, still fit perfectly within the series, dealing with the residual power of the town itself and it's effect the draw peope into their own personal nightmare, and whether or not such a person would succumb to the nightmare or escape from it.
The third game wrapped up the original game's storyline perfectly, particularly the Alessa storyline and the town cult's storyline...again, all wrapped up perfectly in the third installment.
....the series should have ended there as an excellent horror trilogy. Unfortunately, it didn't.
After the core Silent Hill trilogy, Team Silent had been interested in first-person gameplay and were developing what they intended to be a whole new IP...Konami marketing steps in and basically forces Team Silent into shoehorning this new game into the Silent Hill franchise for the same of making more money off the more known brand name.
The result....the first three Silent Hill games had a consistanly positive review average on both Metacritic and Gamerankings in the mid-to-high 80's....
SH4: The Room is where the downfall began, and it's no surprise Team Silent disbanded after Silent Hill 4: The Room. The series then moved to western developers who clearly haven't been able to capture the magic of the original three games as each installment has been recieved worse and worse.
...and the recent HD collection of SH2 and SH3, are probably one of the worst handlings of an HD collection this generation.

Resident Evil - Resident Evil 4 is one of the best console games of last gen, arguably the best....and at the time, it was a much needed refreshing new approach to a series that was become stale and archaic. The thing about Resident Evil 4, despite being an action title, it still managed to have ties to it's survival horror roots. It still had a creepy setting and some unsettling moments, and other series staples. The game received much deserved universal praise.
Unfortunately, Capcom mis-read this praise, and for Resident Evil 5 said "more action!"...and "co-op!". So, what was oroginally a claustrophobic campy horror series (even with RE4) with elements of action....suddenly turned more into an action-shooter with forced-in co-op, which was detrimental the game instead of being beneficial.
...and I'm not so sure about Resident Evil 6, which people are going wild over (don't know why), since nothing had led me to believe Capcom learned their lesson...hell, some parts of the trailer look like a freaking Call of Duty game, which would be a huge betrayal to the original franchise roots.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - The original The Longest Journey is a pinnacle entry in the adventure genre and was a much needed shot in the arm at the time. When the sequel was announced, it was like fans prayers had finally been answered.
Unfortunately, Funcom decided to take what was an amazing PC adventure game....and turn the sequel into an action-adventure game for Xbox, cause they figured that's what was making money at the time, they forced in unnessary combat and stealth, both which were poorly executed. The result....well, even across two platforms, it actually sold less then the original PC adventure title....as for thinking they'd make more money by going console, that idea backfired when the console version all out flopped and bombed (the PC version supposedly did "Ok")...and as for the reception - just look at the review aggregate of the original The Longest Journey vs. Dreamfall, and you'll see there was a big drop for the sequel.

F.E.A.R. - The original F.E.A.R. on PC got fast kinetic visceral combat down perfectly in 2005, and successfully mixed it with a creepy atmosphere that delivered tense moments in just the right amount at the right times...not to mention it had the best technical graphics of that year. It was no surprise it was well received, winning many Best Shooter and Best FPS at many places, including Gamespot.
Unfortunately, the multiplatform sequel didn't capture the same magic.....and the third installment was a complete letdown, especially in comparison to the original.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Star Wars Battlefront (For never recieving a 3rd game as of yet)

Splinter Cell (Double agent wasn't so great but conviction ruined it all)

Crash Bandicoot (Do I need to explain?)

Spyro the Dragon (Same with Crash)

Medal of Honor (Progressively getting worse and worse with each release and becoming a generic modern military shooter)

Elder Scrolls (Simplifying RPGS elements and becoming more action oriented and becoming more of a LOTR knock off)

Resident Evil (Removing any elements of survival and horror for typical third person action shooter)

Bomberman (Act Zero pretty much killed the franchise)

Sonic (Each release getting worse in terms of gameplay and story)

GreySun369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GreySun369
Member since 2010 • 226 Posts

I can't think of any game franchises that I've played that have "betrayed" their original fanbase. I've been a fan of ones like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age just to name a few and I'm still very much a fan of them now. Usually I find that most of the changes they've made are for the better.Archangel3371

^ I agree with this. I don't understand why gamers think change is always a bad thing. I've played a lot of games that I felt changed for the better and I would have been disappointed if the developers kept the exact same formula for every sequel because then every game would feel exactly the same and pretty soon it would get boring. That's kind of how I felt about the Legend of Zelda series which is why I stopped playing them.

Avatar image for ItsHendrikStyle
ItsHendrikStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 ItsHendrikStyle
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Crash Bandicoot

Spyro

Mass Effect. I loved the first one but I hate the sequel.

Dunno why everybody Splinter Cell say's...
Splinter cell needed change. They were all basicly the same with just new maps and acouple of new gadgets...
Conviction was and still is a great game.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Rainbow Six, it was more about the planning stage than the action, at least to me. The best feature of R6 was the fact that team members needed to rest or heal (if wounded) in real time (yes real world time, not game time). If a team member was killed, he or she was lost for the rest of the campaign (at least for SP). Characters were not bullet sponges, you could be killed with one or two shots.

Ghost Recon has become a CoD clone too. Maps are linear rail shooter type maps compared to John Sonedecker's open world type maps (he did the R6 levels too). He once told me that good level design requires some work to make a small area (GR maps are 400x400m or an area the size of the Pentagon outside of DC), seem bigger than it actually is. That is evidenced by The Caves map, Red Square or even Vilnius. His work shows that one does not have to create maps that are 1K square to be big.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#49 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Chalk another vote up to Mass Effect. Its the reason why I'm not playing the third right now.
HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
Fallout and Final Fantasy series.