Game franchises that betrayed their original fanbase

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Reading this thread just makes me shake my head. Most of the games mentioned are changed for the drastic better, and prove it with sales and review scores. But hating something popular has become the "cool" thing to do this gen.

immortality20

Usually when something becomes popular it means it appeals to the lowest common denominator... There is less in a popular game that you can like specific to yourself because it's trying to please too many people. I do love a lot of popular games, but this makes sense for why a lot of people don't

Shado0ow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Shado0ow7
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Crash Bandicoot used to be my favorite game :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Did you ever play ME 1?smerlus
Other than clunky animations, I'm not sure what didn't work about ME's combat. :? It was tactical and tense. Why does it have to be like Gears of War to be good? The only things I thought it needed, were (obviously) better animations, and a button that toggled cover. Other than that, the combat has merely been altered, not improved.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Final Fantasy Mass Effect- Self explanatory. It went from a Space Opera that was kinda cool to Hamburger's Gay Buttsex Space Simulator Dragon Age- Could have improved upon the last one so we actually had an RPG to play since Skyrim ditched RPG for Action Adventure but noooo. Have to get at the casuals. Anything EA gets it's filthy hands on Total War- Complexity got lower and lower. Which is surprising since it was a fairly easy game as far as strategy went. Now it's just archers spam of doom. Civilization- Removed a lot of the complexity X COM- Well, I guess there is that proper one but still. The new X game- ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP?! ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP? I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID DRONES. What made X3 great was having a fleet of capital ships crammed with smaller ships to impose your will. Call of Duty-Went from a quality series that made you feel like you weren't a one man army, but part of a team. CoD4 was okay but felt lacking and easy, especially the MP. Command and Conquer- Now bioware is going to ruin that too. EA needs to **** off and let it rest in peace. Crysis- The open-end feel of the previous was gone along with a lot of the strategy, especially with custom missions. Battlefield- Went downhill with Bad Company. Now there's BF3 EXTREME CASUAL EDITION: LOADSA BLOOM AND LENS FLARE! REGENERATING EVERYTHING! BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL! WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB! Ghost Recon- Went from a highly tactical shooter where stupidity would result in you getting you're **** slapped. Now it's turned into a third person Call of Duty. Far Cry- The gameplay previews say it all. Rainbow Six- Turned into Call of Duty just like Ghost Recon. No pre-mission planning where your choices could result in things going very very wrong and you lose the lives of valuable team-members Stronghold-All the 3d iterations were horrendous and buggy. 3 was just shameful. Empire Earth- The reviews say it all. Age of Empires-The FTP game. Ace Combat Turned into a movie. Sword of the Stars- The fact that they released it is just...There is no word to describe how disgusting that is. IL2-Cliffs of Dover is still a broken mess and is far more arcadey than 1946. I really wish someone would make a proper modern ww2 plane simulator. Splinter Cell- Ditched stealth for an action game with stealth tacked on. Hitman- Probably going to be just like Conviction because casuals don't have any patience. I'll add more if I think of them.Vangaurdius

And that's why I will never take threads like this seriously. The "fans" are just gonna keep whining no matter what the devs do.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

RESIDENT EVIL. Like Final Fantasy, with #7, RE4 became so popular it changed the direction of the series.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]Final Fantasy Mass Effect- Self explanatory. It went from a Space Opera that was kinda cool to Hamburger's Gay Buttsex Space Simulator Dragon Age- Could have improved upon the last one so we actually had an RPG to play since Skyrim ditched RPG for Action Adventure but noooo. Have to get at the casuals. Anything EA gets it's filthy hands on Total War- Complexity got lower and lower. Which is surprising since it was a fairly easy game as far as strategy went. Now it's just archers spam of doom. Civilization- Removed a lot of the complexity X COM- Well, I guess there is that proper one but still. The new X game- ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP?! ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP? I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID DRONES. What made X3 great was having a fleet of capital ships crammed with smaller ships to impose your will. Call of Duty-Went from a quality series that made you feel like you weren't a one man army, but part of a team. CoD4 was okay but felt lacking and easy, especially the MP. Command and Conquer- Now bioware is going to ruin that too. EA needs to **** off and let it rest in peace. Crysis- The open-end feel of the previous was gone along with a lot of the strategy, especially with custom missions. Battlefield- Went downhill with Bad Company. Now there's BF3 EXTREME CASUAL EDITION: LOADSA BLOOM AND LENS FLARE! REGENERATING EVERYTHING! BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL! WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB! Ghost Recon- Went from a highly tactical shooter where stupidity would result in you getting you're **** slapped. Now it's turned into a third person Call of Duty. Far Cry- The gameplay previews say it all. Rainbow Six- Turned into Call of Duty just like Ghost Recon. No pre-mission planning where your choices could result in things going very very wrong and you lose the lives of valuable team-members Stronghold-All the 3d iterations were horrendous and buggy. 3 was just shameful. Empire Earth- The reviews say it all. Age of Empires-The FTP game. Ace Combat Turned into a movie. Sword of the Stars- The fact that they released it is just...There is no word to describe how disgusting that is. IL2-Cliffs of Dover is still a broken mess and is far more arcadey than 1946. I really wish someone would make a proper modern ww2 plane simulator. Splinter Cell- Ditched stealth for an action game with stealth tacked on. Hitman- Probably going to be just like Conviction because casuals don't have any patience. I'll add more if I think of them.nameless12345

And that's why I will never take threads like this seriously. The "fans" are just gonna keep whining no matter what the devs do.

No, the fans want the franchise to stick with the same gameplay concepts, but improve them by making them more complex and fix bugs and whatnot as technology progress. Fans don't want games casualized for simpletons.
bigheadwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 bigheadwarrior
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

final fantasy, after 12 the series just went down hill, in 13 and 13-2 its just boring combat and almost no exploration.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#109 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="dvader654"] It was never a game for you! It was an attempt to create the first true TPS RPG, it was NEVER an RPG first. ME2 fixed the most important aspect of the franchise by far, the combat. If the combat does not work this series does not work. It needs to be a functional shooter to be the game Bioware wanted it to be. I still believe all the cuts they made in ME2 helped the flow of the game, and removed most of the useless junk that clutters RPGs. Yes the simplified the class building but the fixed the balance in ME3. Mass Effect was always a shooter, too bad if that is not what you want. There a million RPGs for you out there, there is only one game series like Mass Effect.

Did you ever play ME 1?

Anyways I think I know that the answer is "No." if i recall correctly. So you're pretty much unaware that Mass Effect 1 was an RPG in almost every way. You're basing your opinion off of already watered down sequels and talking out of your arse because BioWare admits they are making RPGs for the COD crowd.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#110 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Soul Calibur has become terrible.

DBZ after Tenkaichi 3 and Budokai 3 have gone downhill

esny240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 esny240
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

Are there some games that disappointed me? Sure, but that doesn't mean they betrayed me. Until I start working on games myself, which will be never, I don't think I can be legitimately angry that a franchise didn't turn out the way I wanted. Besides, there is so much information about games before release that I always know whether I'm interested.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Vangaurdius
[QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="smerlus"][QUOTE="dvader654"] It was never a game for you! It was an attempt to create the first true TPS RPG, it was NEVER an RPG first. ME2 fixed the most important aspect of the franchise by far, the combat. If the combat does not work this series does not work. It needs to be a functional shooter to be the game Bioware wanted it to be. I still believe all the cuts they made in ME2 helped the flow of the game, and removed most of the useless junk that clutters RPGs. Yes the simplified the class building but the fixed the balance in ME3. Mass Effect was always a shooter, too bad if that is not what you want. There a million RPGs for you out there, there is only one game series like Mass Effect.

Did you ever play ME 1?

Anyways I think I know that the answer is "No." if i recall correctly. So you're pretty much unaware that Mass Effect 1 was an RPG in almost every way. You're basing your opinion off of already watered down sequels and talking out of your arse because BioWare admits they are making RPGs for the COD crowd.

Mass effect was never an RPG. As I've said in the past, in order to be an RPG it has to; follow D&D rules, be almost entirely based around stats, forces you to play a with a pre-planned build, and all combat is determined by dice rolls.
gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

any video game franchise that became popular has done this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 190586385885857957282413308806
I wrote a review you can read in our review thread. Of course I played it and it was a poor RPG if that is what it was going for. It was a poor shooter as well. Yeah you had a ton of tiny boxes to raise your stats an insignificant amount like 1%, OHHH what an improvement. ME2 handled it much better making each increase be significant. I understand it removed the raising stats for weapons and choices which I feel was fine, weapons should be based on the players skill not a random dice roll. Then there was the million useless items found everywhere, a complete waste of time. If you enjoy menus ME1 is for you, sorry but I like playing a game instead. Bioware created the first true shoots RPG hybrid, the RPG aspects are still there just streamlined so that the focus remains on the action. What you want is the same bioware RPG over again. How dare them try a new genre!!!! Oh no cause we don't have enough of the same wrpgs. ME is one if a kind, there is no shooter with the options and story of ME, a true original. dvader654
Ok so you have played it so you should realize that when you said they didn't make a game for RPG players you were wrong. It's not like BioWare accidentally created the first ME as an RPG. Second its an action RPG and it is specifically created for people that want instant gratification....once again it's what BioWare stated they intended to do and they did that. That's what makes it a poor RPG.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
[QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]Mirror's Edge may be going the unwanted route, form the trailer i saw a couple of hours ago for the sequel. Male lead only - Faith's son since Faith has been kidnapped - and most likely turned into yet another shooter. Guess it was too much to ask for for EA to not interfere with that game.

Wait, what!? Links?
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#118 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

2 definite disappointements that come to mind are GTA4 and the lackluster, interactive movie called Uncharted 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

They made a game that was lost between two genres, it did not do either very well. They found what they should focus on in ME2. What makes you think ME1 was a better RPG than it was a shooter? It had more choices but those choices were implemented into a poor combat system which to me makes those choices irrelevant. If the entire goal of moving around stats is to better your combat, then why do you want the combat to remain crappy. Basically you are saying you are in favor of more menus, less action, its crazy. They fixed the problem in ME2. All the RPG elements that mattered like the story, choices, classes, leveling all remain. They filtered out what was not needed.

And what is this instant gratification bullcrap I keep hearing from you guys. What sitting in a menu distributing points instantly makes the game more "hardcore". You feel better cause you put 1% more into weapon power than armor. Its all smoke and mirrors in a game like this. In a true RPG where your skills as a player doesn't matter sure your stat choices matter. In a game where you are in control, where your skill is the most important aspect all that matters is that your health increases, you have the powers distributed the way you want them and your weapon selection fits the situation. Thankfully Bioware focused on those things. ME1 is no different from ME2, its just a cluttered mess with too many options where they didnt need to be.

Bioware wanted to make an action RPG from the start, to make an action RPG you need quality action. It is as simply as that. They failed in some ways with ME1 and I guess that gave RPG fans hope that they wouldn't make it an action RPG.

You do realize you proved my point in the second paragraph right? First you wanted to call the "Instant Gratification" line BS then you said; 1: You don't want to spend time in menus. 2: You don't want small increases in power. 3. More Action. Did you ever stop to think that another reason the shooting improved from ME 1 to 2 is that they were more comfortable with the engine seeing as ME1 was their first attempt at a third person shooter? How would them removing weapons and armor code magically make the shooting code or AI improve from ME1 to ME2? Hence this game ending up on a bunch of people's list of "Game franchises that betrayed their fan base."
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#121 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Crapcom. 'Nuff said.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#122 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]Final Fantasy Mass Effect- Self explanatory. It went from a Space Opera that was kinda cool to Hamburger's Gay Buttsex Space Simulator Dragon Age- Could have improved upon the last one so we actually had an RPG to play since Skyrim ditched RPG for Action Adventure but noooo. Have to get at the casuals. Anything EA gets it's filthy hands on Total War- Complexity got lower and lower. Which is surprising since it was a fairly easy game as far as strategy went. Now it's just archers spam of doom. Civilization- Removed a lot of the complexity X COM- Well, I guess there is that proper one but still. The new X game- ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP?! ONE MOTHER ******* SHIP? I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR STUPID DRONES. What made X3 great was having a fleet of capital ships crammed with smaller ships to impose your will. Call of Duty-Went from a quality series that made you feel like you weren't a one man army, but part of a team. CoD4 was okay but felt lacking and easy, especially the MP. Command and Conquer- Now bioware is going to ruin that too. EA needs to **** off and let it rest in peace. Crysis- The open-end feel of the previous was gone along with a lot of the strategy, especially with custom missions. Battlefield- Went downhill with Bad Company. Now there's BF3 EXTREME CASUAL EDITION: LOADSA BLOOM AND LENS FLARE! REGENERATING EVERYTHING! BLOODY SCREEN! SO REAL! WUBWUBWUBWUBWUB! Ghost Recon- Went from a highly tactical shooter where stupidity would result in you getting you're **** slapped. Now it's turned into a third person Call of Duty. Far Cry- The gameplay previews say it all. Rainbow Six- Turned into Call of Duty just like Ghost Recon. No pre-mission planning where your choices could result in things going very very wrong and you lose the lives of valuable team-members Stronghold-All the 3d iterations were horrendous and buggy. 3 was just shameful. Empire Earth- The reviews say it all. Age of Empires-The FTP game. Ace Combat Turned into a movie. Sword of the Stars- The fact that they released it is just...There is no word to describe how disgusting that is. IL2-Cliffs of Dover is still a broken mess and is far more arcadey than 1946. I really wish someone would make a proper modern ww2 plane simulator. Splinter Cell- Ditched stealth for an action game with stealth tacked on. Hitman- Probably going to be just like Conviction because casuals don't have any patience. I'll add more if I think of them.Vangaurdius

No, the fans want the franchise to stick with the same gameplay concepts, but improve them by making them more complex and fix bugs and whatnot as technology progress. Fans don't want games casualized for simpletons.

improving concepts and fix bugs is what they tried to do...most people just call them "dumbing down" or "noob friendly" its hard to please people is all im saying.
AdrianWrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 AdrianWrz
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

in opening post about:

Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 (No Item loot/alot of RPG aspect taken out)

and

Final Fantasy 12 to Final Fantasy 13 (Linear Story/alot of holding hand/unneeded long normal monster fights/straight path)

I felt like these were my two biggest dispointments in gaming in last 5-8 years.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Nobody has mentioned Command & Conquer yet? :P

Postmortem123

I was about to say that aswell. C&C4 dissapointed so many fans :(

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Vangaurdius
improving concepts and fix bugs is what they tried to do...most people just call them "dumbing down" or "noob friendly" its hard to please people is all im saying. jsmoke3
That's because they are dumbing them down and making them noob friendly. They often just remove a feature rather than fixing the bugs because doing so requires far less effort and is one less thing casual simpletons will have to use their brain for. Very very few developers actually just fix bugs.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
[QUOTE="jsmoke3"]improving concepts and fix bugs is what they tried to do...most people just call them "dumbing down" or "noob friendly" its hard to please people is all im saying. Vangaurdius
That's because they are dumbing them down and making them noob friendly. They often just remove a feature rather than fixing the bugs because doing so requires far less effort and is one less thing casual simpletons will have to use their brain for. Very very few developers actually just fix bugs.

any good game is noob friendly. you need to not be so superior in thinking that only you can play sweet games.
wyan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 wyan_
Member since 2009 • 614 Posts

Resident Axis of Evil

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"][QUOTE="jsmoke3"]improving concepts and fix bugs is what they tried to do...most people just call them "dumbing down" or "noob friendly" its hard to please people is all im saying. garrett_duffman

any good game is noob friendly. you need to not be so superior in thinking that only you can play sweet games.

Uh, there are some fantastic games out there that are the furthest thing from noob-friendly.
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="Vangaurdius"] That's because they are dumbing them down and making them noob friendly. They often just remove a feature rather than fixing the bugs because doing so requires far less effort and is one less thing casual simpletons will have to use their brain for. Very very few developers actually just fix bugs.

Uh, there are some fantastic games out there that are the furthest thing from noob-friendly.

name one.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Grand Theft Auto 3-moved the series from a top-down perspective into a 3rd person view.
Metroid Prime-turned the series into an awful first-person open world title when the originals were sidescrollers.
Red Dead Redemption-took the great shooter focused linear game that was Revolver and made it into a repulsive open world game.
Uncharted 2-introduced a new love interest for Drake but had the nerve to feature the prior bimbo as well and have Drake hook up with her at the end.
Ocarina of Time-introduced horses as a travel method when retro Zelda gamers were completely fine with walking everywhere.
Fallout 3-turned the series into Oblivion with Guns
Mass Effect 2-released for PS3 when the first game was an Xbox exclusive
Resistance 2-removed weapons wheel and introduced regenerative health
SoulCalibur IV-Star Wars. 'nuff said.
Assassin's Creed 2-gave the players more things to do, and switched protagonists and setting.
Batman Arkham City-gave Batman a blue cape when he clearly had a black one in the first game.
Street Fighter 2-a selectable choice of 8 characters where in the first game you just had Kyu and Ben.
Devil May Cry 3-prequel story with faster and more stylish combat
Sonic Adventure-gave Sonic green eyes and other playable characters
Donkey Kong Country Returns-health bar when in the ol games, you died in one hit
Rayman Origins-step back into 2D instead of 3D innovation like the previous two games.
Dead Space 2-turned Clarke into a speaking protagonist
Resident Evil 2-moved the series from a mansion to a city and replaced Chris and Jill with Leon and Claire.
Silent Hill Shattered Memories-lazy remake of the first game with no actual horror
Skyrim-added dragons and turned the entire game into just one prolonged fetch quest

That's why I play CoD. At least Activison understands what a fanbase wants and gives us what we want with every new installment.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"] any good game is noob friendly. you need to not be so superior in thinking that only you can play sweet games.

name one.

Since he isn't stepping up to the plate I'll go ahead and name several; Ninja Gaiden series (Both NES and modern day versions) Virtual Fighter series Devil May Cry series The Shin Megami Tensei series and spinoffs The S.W.A.T. games The old Rainbow 6 games Pretty much all arena shooters. DotA games Europa Universalis and spinoffs games Nethack I Wanna Be The Guy
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 garrett_duffman
[QUOTE="Kell_the_Gamer"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"] Uh, there are some fantastic games out there that are the furthest thing from noob-friendly.

name one.

Since he isn't stepping up to the plate I'll go ahead and name several; Ninja Gaiden series (Both NES and modern day versions) Virtual Fighter series Devil May Cry series The Shin Megami Tensei series and spinoffs The S.W.A.T. games The old Rainbow 6 games Pretty much all arena shooters. DotA games Europa Universalis and spinoffs games Nethack I Wanna Be The Guy

do tell how none of those are noob friendly. all of them control decently alright, they all have first levels which allow users to familiarize themselves with the controls without being completely demolished, and for the older games, who do you think played those? the "hardcore" fanbase was never established, and the word "noob" wasn't even in existence. Everybody starts somewhere, and anybody can find any game accessible provided they give it the time. there is no "non-noob friendly" game, there are just "Too-Noobs" who are retarded in the aspects of asserting themselves to understand an analogue stick, 4 face buttons, and 4 shoulder buttons (because they are already familiar with a keyboard since everyone uses them). its not hard.
Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Kell_the_Gamer
It seems you are misunderstanding where we are coming from. Firstly; while they are generally referred as the same thing; there is a difference between newbies and noobs. A noob is a bad player, regardless of how long they have been playing a game. While all newbies start as noobs there are always some who refuse to get better at a game; not learning the metas, being too lazy to come up with proper strategies, refusing to work as a team and etc. I can see how some could be confused as in this thread there were people that used 'noob' both as 'newbie' and 'bad player'. We do not mind games being 'newbie' friendly, we're not exclusive club elitists who simply hate all newcomers to our games (at least most of us aren't, I have met some like that in certain MMORPGs.) I happily welcome streamlining features to make things a little easier like say; in an FPS the trigger button also becomes another reload button, allowing you to finish off your rounds and reload by just pressing fire. I highly appreciate it when game developers take the time to make a very detailed tutorial that literally go over every feature of the game in depth (Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution did this IIRC). It's when you outright remove features such as literally taking out the need to reload because it removes depth from the game.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"] any good game is noob friendly. you need to not be so superior in thinking that only you can play sweet games.

name one.

I'll name several fantastic games that weren't at all noob-friendly. Any of the Grandia games, any of the Virtua Fighter games (especially since 4), recent EA NHL titles, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (or even Super Turbo by today's standards), the ENTIRE Gran Turismo AND Forza Motorsport series, the ENTIRE Mega Man X series, anything called Shin Megami Tensei, pretty much anything Konami made in the 80s and early 90s...
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#135 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Ace Combat. Been with the series right from the original Air Combat released in 1995. I can't even look at the latest instalments of the series.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 MirkoS77  Online
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Smokescreened84"]Mirror's Edge may be going the unwanted route, form the trailer i saw a couple of hours ago for the sequel. Male lead only - Faith's son since Faith has been kidnapped - and most likely turned into yet another shooter. Guess it was too much to ask for for EA to not interfere with that game.

Uuugghhh... I really don't want to even think what EA is going to lock out for first-day DLC. Or how little creative control DICE actually has.

EA needs to be nuked back to the stone age. Never have I seen any company ruin everything it touches as they do. I'm very much looking forward to ME2, and if EA f*cks it up...well....I'll moan and pout probably. Then never support them again. I don't know why any developer would want to work with them, If I were one I'd avoid them like the plague.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 190586385885857957282413308806
I feel like streamling the aspects of the combat that work and removing the clutter, the excess useless items and aspects that bog down the game is beneficial to a shooter. It takes you out of the game if you are spending to much time in menus. I am saying spending time in menus in a game like this is pointless, you are not playing a better game if you get to distribute every single percentage point when in the end it is your skills as a shooter that ultimately makes the gameplay work. It is not instant gratification, its solid gameplay. And what makes the RPG fan the original fanbase. Say they went the other way, they went all RPG and removed the shooter aspects, wouldn't the shooter fans be just as betrayed? Whether you want to admit it or not they accomplished the hybrid, it is an RPG and it is a shooter. ME1 did not do it well, it was clunky, the combat had issues and it lacked a serious direction. ME3 got the balance the best so it did take three games to master it but they did it. It still has a ton of RPG elements and it is a fantastic shooter.dvader654
Making the game more action orientated is better for a shooter but you act like menus aren't apart of gameplay...if that's so then FFVII has no gameplay except for on the world map screen or Heroes of Might and Magic 3 only has pointing for movement as gameplay. menus, as long as it's not pause or option menus are apart of gameplay. it's not like you're assigning items for no reason. What makes RPG players the original fanbase is that the game was originally an RPG. RPGs arent you specialty and that's why you're complaining about the first game. I admit the first game wasn't near perfect but i think that's because that was BioWare's first attempt at a third person shooter. The AI was horrific and in ME2 it was much better. That has nothing to do with the RPG aspects or streamlining...that has to to with being comfortable with the programming. I haven't been able to get ME3 yet because i'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping the next time this port gets busy, they'll bring it by.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Grand Theft Auto 3-moved the series from a top-down perspective into a 3rd person view.
Metroid Prime-turned the series into an awful first-person open world title when the originals were sidescrollers.
Red Dead Redemption-took the great shooter focused linear game that was Revolver and made it into a repulsive open world game.
Uncharted 2-introduced a new love interest for Drake but had the nerve to feature the prior bimbo as well and have Drake hook up with her at the end.
Ocarina of Time-introduced horses as a travel method when retro Zelda gamers were completely fine with walking everywhere.
Fallout 3-turned the series into Oblivion with Guns
Mass Effect 2-released for PS3 when the first game was an Xbox exclusive
Resistance 2-removed weapons wheel and introduced regenerative health
SoulCalibur IV-Star Wars. 'nuff said.
Assassin's Creed 2-gave the players more things to do, and switched protagonists and setting.
Batman Arkham City-gave Batman a blue cape when he clearly had a black one in the first game.
Street Fighter 2-a selectable choice of 8 characters where in the first game you just had Kyu and Ben.
Devil May Cry 3-prequel story with faster and more stylish combat
Sonic Adventure-gave Sonic green eyes and other playable characters
Donkey Kong Country Returns-health bar when in the ol games, you died in one hit
Rayman Origins-step back into 2D instead of 3D innovation like the previous two games.
Dead Space 2-turned Clarke into a speaking protagonist
Resident Evil 2-moved the series from a mansion to a city and replaced Chris and Jill with Leon and Claire.
Silent Hill Shattered Memories-lazy remake of the first game with no actual horror
Skyrim-added dragons and turned the entire game into just one prolonged fetch quest

That's why I play CoD. At least Activison understands what a fanbase wants and gives us what we want with every new installment.

TheFallenDemon

Avatar image for callsignneptune
callsignneptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 callsignneptune
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
Final Fantasy.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Vangaurdius

name one.

DCS Blackshark DCS A-10C Dwarf Fortress X3 Victoria 2 Hearts of Iron Europa Universalis Crusader Kings (to an extent, it's pretty much babies first grand strategy) ARMA 2 ACE Falcon 4
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#141 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Mass effect is the best series ive ever played, it got better with every game. The majority of the fanbase also thinks so.

Therefore ME haters are clearly MORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRONS!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

But nothing about ME1 screamed it was a good RPG. The combat was still very much action oriented, very unlike RPGs but it was crappy cause it wasn't a good shooter, it wasnt a good strategy based RPG. EVerything else about the game, the story, leveling up, class bases all returns in ME2 plus the gameplay is fixed. The only thing missing from ME2 is having an excess amount of level up choices and a bunch of items, both of which all take place in menus. Essentially all you are saying is I want more menus even if it means having crappy shooting, give me my menus!

If you can elabroate what made ME1 this amazing RPG you claim it is, I would like to hear. But I am pretty sure everything you are going to say has to do with menu surfing. Having a bunch of more choices when leveling up even though it is basically in such small increments that you have to put a bunch of points into one category for a skill to actually advance, which is what ME2 does, it just removes all the little steps you have to do to get there. And the item system which was just horrendous, I dont know how finding a million different versions of the same guns or upgrades is in any way productive.

ME1 was their first attempt at this hybrid, hybrid being the key word. It was never ment to be an RPG first, its just that is what Bioware is good at so naturally their first game would still have relics of their RPG systems. The later two games really changed the formula Bioware is used to in order to create this amazing joining of two genres.

Nothing about ME2 screams it's a good shooter. Its rock/paper/scissors and AI can't hold a candle to Uncharted or Gears of War but that doesn't mean they should scrap the shooting and turn it into an isometric turn based shooter. I don't see why you think since they took out a few menus that the shooting magically got better. This has no factual basis in programming a game. The truth is they got comfortable with an engine and also got bought by a publisher that is notorious for dumbing their games down for profit. I never said ME1 was an amazing RPG but it was an RPG. It never had time to develop into an amazing RPG because the developer's focus shifted to making games for money and the lowest common denominator. YOU keep calling the game a hybrid and keep saying this is what Bioware intended when you have absolutely zero evidence to prove that. I can easily say they decided to make ME 1 a tank sim but accidentally made an action RPG around the mako portions. They said ME 1 was going to be an RPG and it's crazy how it turned out an action RPG just like the majority of games out there now ( newer Fallouts, DKS, Risen, The Elder Scrolls...) Then they said they are going to make an RPG for the COD crowd saying " The weapon that you are firing is still something you bought in a store and you customized it with resources you added," Hudson said. "In the combat areas you are fighting your way through areas, you're shooting, you're planning your squad, you're doing all of the same things in this one as Mass Effect one, but each element works a little bit better. You have independent control of your squad, the powers are more interesting and more class based and more powerful. It's no less of an RPG." which is a lie...unless you go by BioWare's new RPG philosophy that changed once they got bought out "Our definition of role-playing games is that in addition to the core gameplay you have the ability to explore your world freely, have a non-linear story and the progression of your character."
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 garrett_duffman
OH. I forgot about the REAL worst one of all; Shadowrun
Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Kell_the_Gamer
OH. I forgot about the REAL worst one of all; Shadowrungarrett_duffman
Hehe, if RPG fans of mad about action RPGs turning into nearly full blown action games; how about a pure turn based RPG series turning into an actual shooter?! :P
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I feel like Resident Evil 5 was about the biggest kick to the groin Capcom could've given me.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Who said ti was a deep RPG? They just decided to try and get everybody they can to buy it so to accomplish that they removed a ton of *** from the original to ruin the series for people like me that love RPGs.

That be like Borderlands 2 taking everything from the original that worked AND all the RPG elements to make it more of a shooter. (If that really happens I will give up on games entirely)

smerlus

It was never a game for you! It was an attempt to create the first true TPS RPG, it was NEVER an RPG first. ME2 fixed the most important aspect of the franchise by far, the combat. If the combat does not work this series does not work. It needs to be a functional shooter to be the game Bioware wanted it to be. I still believe all the cuts they made in ME2 helped the flow of the game, and removed most of the useless junk that clutters RPGs. Yes the simplified the class building but the fixed the balance in ME3. Mass Effect was always a shooter, too bad if that is not what you want. There a million RPGs for you out there, there is only one game series like Mass Effect.

Did you ever play ME 1?

Umm, how did this quote chain get so messed up? I never said that as I do not play any RPG whatsoever.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]

any good game is noob friendly. you need to not be so superior in thinking that only you can play sweet games.garrett_duffman

name one.

As you have seen, there have been plenty of games that were not noob or even newbie friendly to start with. Even though as a new PC owner, I enjoyed and learned the ropes of the planning stage of Rainbow Six. Such a feature, as well as other missing and as of now unused features, even by other developers, is non-existant in current iterations.

Games should challenge one's mind, as they have been for hundreds of years (games go back long before video games were ever first dreamed of). What are sold today as video games more often than not, do not require much thought to what needs to be done. A lot of the games listed in this thread, at least the FPS variety have all become CoD clones and that is not a good thing.

There is at least one game currently in development that harkens back to the days of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon as they were, not as they are now. I can wait as long as needed for it to hit the streets. Gamers who like lowest common denominator games need not apply. It will not appeal to you.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#149 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

This gen more than any other (IMO) has shown an unfortunate turn for simplicity rather than growth. The advancements in technology are being used more for cinematic flourish instead of creating new and different gameplay options that were not possible last gen. This generally has lead to some franchises betraying their original fanbase.

-Final Fantasy: People once loved this series for it's vast worlds to explore and stat building. Final Fantasy XIII did away with all exploration and item and stat management means very little when your characters are healed to full after every single battle. There's none of that trying to survive through a dungeon feeling that most RPGs give. Basically this was a new IP that was decided to be called the next installment in a beloved series.

-Mass Effect: There's no denying that there was a massive transformation from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. Fans of Bioware were fans of great RPG experiences. Mass Effect mostly appeased these fans and they hotly anticipate the sequel. Unfortunately for the oiginal fans, Mass Effect 2 was simplified to a startling degree and its RPG elements thinned out. The fans of the original Mass Effect, fans of stat building and exploring, were ignored in favour of the large Call of Duty market.

Can you think of any other franchises that transformed and betrayed their original fanbases?

Pikminmaniac

Firstly, Final Fantasy XIII wasn't the first FF to limit 'exploration' - FFX was. Have you forgotten about that? Besides, the Final Fantasy games never really had 'exploration', only an illusion of it. In order for the game to progress you needed to go from point A to point B in a specific order - you could have ran around the world map for as long as you wished but you always either cut off from certain parts of the world because they weren't made accessible yet or you ended up in places where your death was inevitable. Yes, every now and then there were a few amusing side quests or something of that nature but on the whole Final Fantasy was never really an *exploration* game.

Second, the first Mass Effect was just a glitchy, uneventful mess. The game didn't even have checkpoints. Honestly? It was a huge design flaw. What BioWare did (I'm assuming because I only played the first) was fix the problems that were glaringly obvious to make a better product. Mass Effect was also already an action RPG, so how exactly was putting more emphasis on action a bad thing?

garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 garrett_duffman

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]

Uh, there are some fantastic games out there that are the furthest thing from noob-friendly.WhiteKnight77

name one.

As you have seen, there have been plenty of games that were not noob or even newbie friendly to start with. Even though as a new PC owner, I enjoyed and learned the ropes of the planning stage of Rainbow Six. Such a feature, as well as other missing and as of now unused features, even by other developers, is non-existant in current iterations.

Games should challenge one's mind, as they have been for hundreds of years (games go back long before video games were ever first dreamed of). What are sold today as video games more often than not, do not require much thought to what needs to be done. A lot of the games listed in this thread, at least the FPS variety have all become CoD clones and that is not a good thing.

There is at least one game currently in development that harkens back to the days of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon as they were, not as they are now. I can wait as long as needed for it to hit the streets. Gamers who like lowest common denominator games need not apply. It will not appeal to you.

... so you have a story of when you were a noob and played a game to not be a noob anymore? good point.