FF7 vs Zelda OoT(Poll added)

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tader-salad
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
OK these games came out at around the same time ( ff7 in 1997, oot in 1998) and they are both considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. Now I know these are 2 completely different Games, but if you had to choose which one to be better than the other which one would it be?
jack_michael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jack_michael
Member since 2007 • 1162 Posts

oh man...its hard, i mean there both soooo epic.

...im gonna go with OOT because it was more groundbreaking, for me anyway.

Nick-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nick-42
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
Love them both, but going with Ocarina of Time.
mmofnbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 mmofnbs
Member since 2007 • 352 Posts

I've never been so torn on which to pick. I'm edging towards FF7 for one reason the insane graphics for the PSX. I mean i know "graphics aren't as important as gameplay" but thats kind of saying you were attracted to your girlfriend because of the way she thinks :)

Both games are a 10 for me. The sheer length + side quests of FF7 plus those super smooth FMV sequences give it the edge to the best gameplay mechanics possibly in any games.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

i never had the chance to play zelda ocarina of time but i believe it made a bigger impact than ff7.

Robot_Vampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Robot_Vampire
Member since 2007 • 875 Posts
I've completed Ocarina of Time but not FFVII so since it's not really fair, I'll go with the game I've completed. I own both and at the moment I'm trying to complete FFVII, wish me luck :).
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts

OoT is the better game, easily.

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

Both are great but my vote goes to Final Fantasy VII. Seems to have a deeper/darker plot and a lot more customization.

megamonkey45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 megamonkey45
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Well i never play OOT BUT! i kno everyones gunna be against me FF7 i say id the best game up to date (yes that includes ALL games.)

VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VVatson

I agree with ya bro.

ajames_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ajames_123
Member since 2004 • 2983 Posts

Damn thats a hard choice. Both are epic. Id say FF7 simply because i jus have more awsome memories of playing it.

But Zelda:OOT is amazing also :p

borris_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 borris_1
Member since 2003 • 7181 Posts
A classic match-up; both are extraordinary. I absolutely cannot decide between the two.
bxgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 bxgt
Member since 2006 • 3035 Posts
oot wins for me.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
Very hard to choose as other people have already pointed out, I'm just going to have to go with Zelda. I do have to admit to my bias though, as I am a huge Zelda fan, but I think (hope?) that I would still have chosen OOT over FFVII even if I wasn't such a Zeda fanboy. Either way, they are both in my collection and I remember them both dearly.
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

I have both, but i go with FF7, has better history, more characters, more options, its longer, etc.

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tader-salad
I knew this would be a tough one:P personally I think there both really epic, both had amazing stories, both had fantastic graphics, both had great sound, both had ground breaking gameplay and both were awesome.
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
I never played OoT so FF7. I have yet to play an RPG or any other genre/game for that matter that gave me such an experience as much as FF7 did when I first played it. It was just absolutely amazing. If I could go back in time to relive one game, it would be FF7.
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

For me easily teh FF7.

For a jrpg fan and all,FF7 was something more than innovative/revolutionary game. Its story was great also. Many hours to beat,even moreto "unlock",beat the game 100%.

Great Cutscenes,great characters,epic story,fantastic fights (battle system,summons,weapons etc etc). That why it sold morethn 3 - 4 Million in the first week only in japan. And was released 1 year before OOT also.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I would go with Ocarina of Time since Im not really a big fan of the FF series.
snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts
OoT takes the cake...why? FF7 was great, story was awesome, love the immersion, why do i like ocarina better? oh yeah FF7 is an FF, and all FFs have one ridiculously retarded gameplay portion, grinding, to hell with grinding. May you burn in hell forever, grinding.
Yuri_Tribal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yuri_Tribal
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts
Im going with FF7 because i preferd ghe storyline better to OOT but dont get me wrong OOT was amazing but the edge goes to FF7
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts
FF7 for me since it's my first RPG and I love all RPGs I've played since then. Of course, zelda was awesome and revolutionary, but just not as much as FF7 was to me. I've restarted FF7 4 times but only finished Z: OoT twice. Besides, it's hard to compare those games since they're totally different.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Final Fantasy VII.
titanium2108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 titanium2108
Member since 2008 • 305 Posts
i hate FF7. OoT ftw
amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25 amozarte
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts
If I lived in a world where I could only play one or the other but not both I would simply shoot myself and play them both in Heaven :P
toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
I've played both, and I say they're almost too different to compare. I say both.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
zelda
Abgoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Abgoj
Member since 2005 • 12168 Posts
Both are amazing games. But no game i've played is more amazing to me than FFVII. So FFVII.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VVatson

The reason I said FFVII is because OoT just wasn't as in depth for me. There wasn't any customization, you can't really make many decisions, it' very linear, no item choices really, etc. I know it is an adventure game and is supposed to be like this I guess but I just prefer RPGS.

Avatar image for lovetheblindone
lovetheblindone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lovetheblindone
Member since 2005 • 1733 Posts
OoT. I never really got into FFVII.
yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
what a hard choice, two of my favorite games. i would have to say FF7 though. i had so much time invested into that game and i liked the story more.
ATastyBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ATastyBurger
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts

Ocarina of Time was more of a full experience, and was aimed at appealing to everybody.

FFVII is a straight RPG, and didn't appeal to some people.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts
Was neva really a fan of the FF series so my vote goes to Zelda, it just a charm to it that no game before it had and few since have equalled.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
I never played Ocarina of Time. One reason is Metal Gear Solid. "This game explains why shock! horror! I have never played Zelda. How could I care about a deku tree when terrorists were holding nuclear weapons (Alex Ward director of Burnout games)."
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

In a way FF7 has aged far less...but then that is because the genre as a whole has barely moved on, you can't blame OOT exactly for having aged with it was the source of the accelaration within it's own genre.

Though having said that, FF7's presentation has been hurt far more over time (at least comparing with the high-ish res VC/GCN OOT ports).

IIRC the games are about the same length, both between 30-40 hours, the only difference you are more likely to end up taking longer in OOT due to getting stuck (or at least I did), whereas the only barrier in FF7 was grinding (which can be overcome if you take the intiative early on).

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#36 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
Final Fantasy VII. I never got into the Zelda craze.
TonySoprano314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TonySoprano314
Member since 2006 • 759 Posts
Oot is with out a doubt, the best game ever made. FFVII is excellent in every way, but doesn't even compare to the complete experience that Oot will bring you. I even think the story is better in Oot. The problem with FFVII is that the story takes so long to develope. If the game was shortened it would be just as impactful, but you wouldn't be forced to grind as much. Oot has a pace and flow that is more artistic than it is linear. Sure, there is nothing to customize, but by the end of the game it becomes a part of you. Honestly, I liked FFIX and Shadow of the Colossus better than FFVII. FFVII is not one of the best games ever made, it just has a great ending. You play 60 plus hours to find out that the one you love gets killed by your nemesis. It's the perfect tragedy, but is it really deserving fo the title for best game ever? I don't think so. Baldur's Gate 2 is a much more solid RPG. Marrowind and Oblivion are also better than FFVII. Oot re-wrote the book on what adventure games could be. I have played Oot at least 6 times in my life and each time I love it more. FFVII is only enjoyable the first 2 or 3 times. After that,it just seems like work.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

Oot is with out a doubt, the best game ever made. FFVII is excellent in every way, but doesn't even compare to the complete experience that Oot will bring you. I even think the story is better in Oot. The problem with FFVII is that the story takes so long to develope. If the game was shortened it would be just as impactful, but you wouldn't be forced to grind as much. Oot has a pace and flow that is more artistic than it is linear. Sure, there is nothing to customize, but by the end of the game it becomes a part of you. Honestly, I liked FFIX and Shadow of the Colossus better than FFVII. FFVII is not one of the best games ever made, it just has a great ending. You play 60 plus hours to find out that the one you love gets killed by your nemesis. It's the perfect tragedy, but is it really deserving fo the title for best game ever? I don't think so. Baldur's Gate 2 is a much more solid RPG. Marrowind and Oblivion are also better than FFVII. Oot re-wrote the book on what adventure games could be. I have played Oot at least 6 times in my life and each time I love it more. FFVII is only enjoyable the first 2 or 3 times. After that,it just seems like work.TonySoprano314

Thats a personal opinion when you state that Oot is the best game. I think MGS is the best game ever made.

tader-salad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tader-salad
I have added a poll to this topic, so chime in!
crystos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 crystos
Member since 2003 • 1040 Posts
Ocarina of time is better on almost all counts. Turn based rpgs have ran their course with me b4 ff7.
guitarman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 guitarman89
Member since 2007 • 1485 Posts

Unfortunately, I've never played either :cry:

I'm looking for OoT so I can finally see what all of the fuss is about.

Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts

[QUOTE="TonySoprano314"]Oot is with out a doubt, the best game ever made. FFVII is excellent in every way, but doesn't even compare to the complete experience that Oot will bring you. I even think the story is better in Oot. The problem with FFVII is that the story takes so long to develope. If the game was shortened it would be just as impactful, but you wouldn't be forced to grind as much. Oot has a pace and flow that is more artistic than it is linear. Sure, there is nothing to customize, but by the end of the game it becomes a part of you. Honestly, I liked FFIX and Shadow of the Colossus better than FFVII. FFVII is not one of the best games ever made, it just has a great ending. You play 60 plus hours to find out that the one you love gets killed by your nemesis. It's the perfect tragedy, but is it really deserving fo the title for best game ever? I don't think so. Baldur's Gate 2 is a much more solid RPG. Marrowind and Oblivion are also better than FFVII. Oot re-wrote the book on what adventure games could be. I have played Oot at least 6 times in my life and each time I love it more. FFVII is only enjoyable the first 2 or 3 times. After that,it just seems like work.nVidiaGaMer

Thats a personal opinion when you state that Oot is the best game. I think MGS is the best game ever made.

Obviously. People don't have to put "in my opinion" every time.

As for my pick, OoT easily. FFVII was nothing new. I don't understand how people can pick VII over something like VI (III). I still love it though.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

Final Fantasy VII FTW. Ocarina of Time was awesome, too, though.

FFVII was nothing new.Saruman1719

The presentation, style, and depth of Final Fantasy VII was totally new and original at the time. Perhaps you've just played too many 3D, turn-based RPGs since to remember how new and original Final Fantasy VII was when it came out.

StreetRacer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StreetRacer91
Member since 2003 • 622 Posts
Ocarina of Time gameplay still works smoothly.
Avatar image for Fenrir_DarkWolf
Fenrir_DarkWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fenrir_DarkWolf
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts
FF7 is one of my favourite games of all time, that being said OoT is much better :D.
joker730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 joker730
Member since 2007 • 1561 Posts

FF7

Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 Axel_rocks14
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts

[QUOTE="TonySoprano314"]Oot is with out a doubt, the best game ever made. FFVII is excellent in every way, but doesn't even compare to the complete experience that Oot will bring you. I even think the story is better in Oot. The problem with FFVII is that the story takes so long to develope. If the game was shortened it would be just as impactful, but you wouldn't be forced to grind as much. Oot has a pace and flow that is more artistic than it is linear. Sure, there is nothing to customize, but by the end of the game it becomes a part of you. Honestly, I liked FFIX and Shadow of the Colossus better than FFVII. FFVII is not one of the best games ever made, it just has a great ending. You play 60 plus hours to find out that the one you love gets killed by your nemesis. It's the perfect tragedy, but is it really deserving fo the title for best game ever? I don't think so. Baldur's Gate 2 is a much more solid RPG. Marrowind and Oblivion are also better than FFVII. Oot re-wrote the book on what adventure games could be. I have played Oot at least 6 times in my life and each time I love it more. FFVII is only enjoyable the first 2 or 3 times. After that,it just seems like work.nVidiaGaMer

No, actually it is the highest rated game of all time, in fact, look up any reviewers top 10 greatest games of all time and you will find it placed within, usually #1. So if there is a greatest game ever, it's OoT. You should track it down and play it, it's an incredible experience
PAJ89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#48 PAJ89
Member since 2003 • 2020 Posts
Final Fantasy VII. I just enjoyed it more, and it was one of the first few RPGs I really got into.
tatu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tatu2004
Member since 2004 • 17173 Posts
FF7 is the best...
musicgamerguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 musicgamerguy
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
i would have to say ff7, but both games are great though.