do you ever fear that your15 year old system will break?... : O

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

that is one of my biggest fears.. :o :cry:

and the other day my sega saturn stoped spinning(im starting to hate this thing) but im not sure if that was supose to happen..:?

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

not really - I do not play continually anymore and there is a place in the next town that sells and works on older consoles.

I would go there if I had any trouble.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#3 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope . as long as there were millions produced i shouldnt fear ,, plus like some 1 else said i dont play mine regularly as i do my wii or ps3 ro 360 which the later doesnt even need to be played to fail i found this out the hardway lol ,

i came from walmart with new game in hand for it and to no suprise it didnt read any disc since then had to replace the console within 6 monthso f purchase lol , then the rrod then e74 etc , ,meh , tha t would be the only console id say id fea breakin on me

Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
I'd be more worried about the PS3/360 breaking 15 years from now. In fact, they'll probably break in half that lol. Already reports of PS3 slim with ylod. As for 360 slim, too early to tell
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

The only old system I have is the N64. It's probably pretty old, but I'm not too concerned. Play N Trade sells them for 40 bucks.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

im way more worried about my newer consoles. i had one break on me so far

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
My Atari 2600 was produced in 1977 and it still functions flawlessly. On the other hand, I'm on Xbox 360 number two already.
gamefree2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamefree2
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts

Yes, but I keep my consoles in good condition so they won't break down.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Not really,

because there are so many ways to play classic games nowadays and because you can get most classic consoles cheap.

LostHopes22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LostHopes22
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i already know how that feels my snes broke but it probobly can be repaired. also my ds buttons broke. my gba battery is so drained out it wont charge and my ps2 slim isnt damaged outside but something inside broke.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Yes. I think of it more when my gamecube starts because I've used it so much, and because it makes weird clicking noises....

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
So some of you guys are saying no because you can just buy another one. And you're just okay with that? Personally, I don't want to shell out anywhere between $40-$200 depending on which system breaks, when I've already paid it before. I was PO'ed when I had to re-buy my PS2 5 years down the road, and then again only like 8 months later. I'm a bit PO'ed at my NES at the moment. I just got a new 72-pin connector installed in it, and it seems like it's blinking even more than used to.
Mizuki88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 Mizuki88
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

The oldest one I have is my Gamecube and I doubt it's gonna break anytime soon. The button for opening the tray thing gets jammed sometime but that's it. And it's not even 15 years old yet! Almost but it's not there yet haha.

It's funny because all of my modern things have broken over time. My first 360 stopped reading disks. My computer's screen got broken, and my old DS got broken in half...Don't ask how that works xD

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
All the time. So better get some play out of it while it lasts. My NES is pretty much cooked...
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 magnax1

What is extremely stupid is that my 15 year old Snes works, but my original Xbox died after three years, and my 360 has died twice in four years.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

What is extremely stupid is that my 15 year old Snes works, but my original Xbox died after three years, and my 360 has died twice in four years.

magnax1
I have the same with my playstations. My SNES sure was built to last though.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Daavpuke

It was even more frustrating because of how agonizingly slow my original xbox died. At first it would randomly crash, then it wouldn't read half the games I owned, then at the end the only two games it would play were Star wars battlefront, and Halo 2. I still have no idea what sort of problem with a video game system would limit the games it could play, and I really wanna figure it out, lol.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Jordo321"]I'd be more worried about the PS3/360 breaking 15 years from now. In fact, they'll probably break in half that lol. Already reports of PS3 slim with ylod. As for 360 slim, too early to tell

yeah its pretty amazing how my 15 year old Sega Saturn or even my 11 year old PS1 still work fine, but a friend of mine had his 360 break down about 3 times. even my PS3 has its issues, it works , but not like new.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I don't really worry about my home consoles like the Saturn, but I do worry about my handheld collection

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"][QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

It was even more frustrating because of how agonizingly slow my original xbox died. At first it would randomly crash, then it wouldn't read half the games I owned, then at the end the only two games it would play were Star wars battlefront, and Halo 2. I still have no idea what sort of problem with a video game system would limit the games it could play, and I really wanna figure it out, lol.

It's because different types of discs are read differently. Some companies use higher grade DVDs than others. And some laser-readers on disc drives just seem to prefer certain brands. I believe the original XBox had a couple different disc-readers throughout it's lifetime, and it depends on which model you have. Some models are better than others. Also, all the disc-drive systems will go out faster than a cartridge system. That is one advantage cartridge systems have over disc-based systems. Disc-based systems have a lot moving parts, and moving parts wear-out. While cartridge-based systems are pretty much all solid-state, less moving parts to wear-out. As long as you don't beat on them, submerge them in water, or bake them in the sun, cartridge based systems should last for decades.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sure all Videogame systems will eventually die! So 15 year systems and systems older and younger will eventually die. The gaming industry itself almost died and will eventually again in the future Almost die again! All systems will eventually will die!

But that is life. I don't worry to much about it. Fear of dying systems will always be a concern. In modern times X360 is a good example But death of gaming machines will always happen.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

No. My games worry me far more than the systems.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts

It's never actually crossed my mind that one of my older consoles will up and die

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#24 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I have a 22 year old console (NES) and an even older one (Atari 2600) and they're both excellently taken care of. It's just a matter of how well you care for it, I'm not worried anything'll happen to them though.
Sides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sides
Member since 2003 • 4289 Posts

I don't really think about it, and hopefully it won't happen.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Emerald_Warrior
I have a 22 year old console (NES) and an even older one (Atari 2600) and they're both excellently taken care of. It's just a matter of how well you care for it, I'm not worried anything'll happen to them though.aryoshi
Caring for a system is definetly a good thing, and will lengthen it's lifespan. Although, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but electronics do indeed wear out, all by themselves. It's just the nature of electronics. The electricity itself wears out the components over time (sometimes a long time if it's solid-state, luckily). And if your system has any moving parts, those moving parts get worn everytime they're used. Disc-based systems have the shortest lifespan due to all those moving parts, especially disc-based systems that read multiple disc-types (such as the PS2 reading PS1 games, PS2 games, music CDs, and movie DVDs).
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#27 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]I have a 22 year old console (NES) and an even older one (Atari 2600) and they're both excellently taken care of. It's just a matter of how well you care for it, I'm not worried anything'll happen to them though.Emerald_Warrior
Caring for a system is definetly a good thing, and will lengthen it's lifespan. Although, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but electronics do indeed wear out, all by themselves. It's just the nature of electronics. The electricity itself wears out the components over time (sometimes a long time if it's solid-state, luckily). And if your system has any moving parts, those moving parts get worn everytime they're used. Disc-based systems have the shortest lifespan due to all those moving parts, especially disc-based systems that read multiple disc-types (such as the PS2 reading PS1 games, PS2 games, music CDs, and movie DVDs).

True, I've had a couple of consoles that've died before. The first was our first Super Nintendo ages ago, it basically just fried. I'm now also currently on my third PS2, but it's my first Slim. Luckily, it's not so expensive to replace old consoles anymore.
widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#28 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

I love retro gaming, I'd be lost if my Nintendo 64 or Super Nintendo broke because I play both of them more regularly then I play my Wii. But I don't worry about them possibly breaking as one day it's bound to happen because nothing lasts forwver. But if they do break I'll just buy another one.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#29 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

I actually think my N64 and Super Nintendo are more reliable than my Xbox 360 as neither of my Nintendo consoles have ever broke, yet my Xbox 360 has broke 3 times.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I am not worried. As long as I can buy as Xbox 360's and PS1's/PS2's are available to buy immediately for the rest of my life then I am all good. LOL :P
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bigM10231
All the time. So better get some play out of it while it lasts. My NES is pretty much cooked...Daavpuke
i have 2 NES and they work perfectly because i cleaned the original pins even one of the NES had water in it as i saw stains of water inside. one is a 1986 and another is 1987. they said it on the motherboard
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bigM10231

i had a launch snes that still works but the enviroment made it misplace images, show parts of images and lag where there wasnt before and yet my ps1 cant load a game.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Another thing to consider is re-releases and hardware clones. With Atari, you have the Flashback 2. That thing can be modded to use an authentic 2600 cartridge slot. And the NES/SNES/Genesis are ALWAYS being reproduced in some manner or another. It's only a matter of time before the same is true about Nintendo 64 and Playstation.
E-123Wario54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 E-123Wario54
Member since 2010 • 1020 Posts

I've been buying some Japanese-imported systems lately...if one of those broke on me, I'd be wheeping. If my PS3/360/Wii broke, I'd go crazy...I don't have a warranty. O_O Sometimes I'm worried, like when a game takes too long to load or doesn't start up properly. But usually that problem's resolved with a little disc/cartridge cleaning or something of the sort.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 magnax1

I think because of the fact that newer consoles have been so terribly made, people are going to have to move to emulators for old games. I hope I don't get modded for mentioning emulators, lol.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bigM10231

I think because of the fact that newer consoles have been so terribly made, people are going to have to move to emulators for old games. I hope I don't get modded for mentioning emulators, lol.

magnax1
no you wont. its saying details of it that causes it
Lisandro_v22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Lisandro_v22
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

that is one of my biggest fears.. :o :cry:

and the other day my sega saturn stoped spinning(im starting to hate this thing) but im not sure if that was supose to happen..:?

kingdavid562
My greatest fear is to lose my GBC saved games, it has already happened with my Pokemon Gold and soon will happen with my Pokemon Silver. I'm not joking I would pay 100 bucks to recharge the battery of the cartridges without taking it out.
Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#38 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

I'm not worried at all. I've had a few get "sick" on me, but I've "cured" them every time. I've honestly never encountered a truely dead system...

Now I just need to figure out how to fix newer ones, and then I'll have no problem at all! I have a broken xbox for this purpose...the "cure" has eluded me for some time however...