Best/Worst Console Names

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

I was thinking about how bad certain console names sound, and what's funny is that I think that some of the poorer consoles have good names, while the great systems have really lame names. Here are mine:

Best:

Sega Saturn - Just sounds futuristic, simple, and cool. Especially for the time it came out.

Sega Genesis - Genesis means the beginning. I'm not sure what it was the beginning of, since it wasn't the first video game console, and not even Sega's first console. But it still sounds pretty cool.

Atari Jaguar/Lynx - I like the theme there between the console and handheld of big, fast, killer, cat creatures. Too bad the consoles that took their names sucked.

Worst:

Sega Mega Drive - Makes me cringe every time I read it. It sounds like one of those rip off machines that have "over 100,000 real video games" on them, which are really 99,999 versions of pong and 1 rip off Mario game. When I think of "drive" I think of a hard drive, or a CD ROM Drive. Not a Sega Genesis. Put it this way, if you have ever got the cold shoulder from a girl by telling her you like to play Xbox, imagine telling her that you spent all day playing your "Sega Mega Drive".

Sony Playstation - The first time someone asked if I was going to get a Playstation I thought of some big Fisher Price playhouse that would go out in my yard.

Sega Dreamcast - ??? WTF is a Dreamcast?

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Dreamcast derives from Dream+broadcast;) Genesis always reminds me of the band....ergh Mega Drive is actually my fav one.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 billyd5301
"Genesis always reminds me of the band....ergh" That might be a subconscious reason why I like it so much.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Arach666

That´s probably it! lol

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Best is a saturn worst is the ZEEBO its a kidish name

morphies_emu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 morphies_emu
Member since 2006 • 260 Posts

Super Nintendo=best. I mean its a "Super" Nintendo

Wii=worst. I mean who names their console after a bodily function, I know its spelt differently but still. I guess this means the Wii 2 will be called the Puu.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Genesis is a really cool name as is Saturn. I don't mind Dreamcast either. Sega had some cool names, to bad sales did not match them.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I Like the names Saturn and Neo Geo

I say Wii is the worst name for a console. Would you like to play with my Wii Wii?:lol:

nazzynaz82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nazzynaz82
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts

There was a japanese handheld called Wonderswan. For worst title, I don't believe anything could top that.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Sounds like Sega wins the best names. I also think Playstation & Saturn are good names. I mean Play + Station... it mean playing games on this console. Not only is it logical it sounds good.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Even though I love the Wii I gotta call it the worst named console. I always liked the Dreamcasts name the most.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
lol I think "Wii" is definitely bad... though I thought the Dolphin was pretty horrible when that name was being tossed around for a console name a couple years ago.
wildcat2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 wildcat2000
Member since 2006 • 4498 Posts

I hate the name Mega Drive also for the exact same reason the topic creator said....just sounds lame and generic. Alot of people refer to it as Mega Drive too and it makes me so mad. Whats so hard about saying GENESIS!? I know its Mega Drive in Japan but still. The Master System isnt that great either, sounds corny and also kinda dirty :P

I really liked the name Dreamcast. It gave you a sense of wonder. A machine thats casts your dreams, at least your video game dreams which implied it had the greatest games and it did have alot of good ones.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 billyd5301

Yeah Wildcat I'm right with you. Almost everyone on this board refers to it as "Mega Drive", and I just totally cringe when I see it. Especially since it wasn't even the Mega Drive here in the US, it was the Genesis as you said. We don't call the Super Nintendo the Super Famicom after all.

I don't really have anything against the Dreamcast's name, its just like wth? I know dream + broadcast but still, when you really think about it, it's just kind of weird. I will concede that Wii, and Dolphin are worse names than Dreamcast. It's just that Wii is SO lame that I picked on it for so long that I don't care anymore. I'd still rather have Wii than Mega Drive anyways. I still think Playstation is the second lamest name out there though.

I was going to post that Dolphin would have been the worst. It makes 0 sense. I'm really happy they changed it at the end. Nintendo doesn't really have a bad sounding system name asides from maybe Virtual Boy.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="Kage1"]

I say Wii is the worst name for a console. Would you like to play with my Wii Wii?:lol:

in the past if you went to a girl and said that, she would probably slap you, now its perfectly normal(you are inviting her for a video game.......right :D)lol
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

but I think a really cool name is Neo Geo, also Saturn sounds cool

the worst : the Sega SG1000 mark 3, I know thats just ajapanese master system but comeon thats a silly name, at least Famicom is a better name (though not necessarilya better system).

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arach666

I hate the name Mega Drive also for the exact same reason the topic creator said....just sounds lame and generic. Alot of people refer to it as Mega Drive too and it makes me so mad. Whats so hard about saying GENESIS!? I know its Mega Drive in Japan but still. The Master System isnt that great either, sounds corny and also kinda dirty :P

I really liked the name Dreamcast. It gave you a sense of wonder. A machine thats casts your dreams, at least your video game dreams which implied it had the greatest games and it did have alot of good ones.

wildcat2000

The Mega Drive name is not only in Japan,but pretty much everywhere like Europe,Oceania,Africa and at least Brazil in south america.

It´s the console´s original name.

Hmmmm,makes you mad that people call it Mega Drive?What´s so hard about saying genesis?And I ask you:what´s so hard about saying Mega Drive?See?

Remember,only one country calls it genesis,while the rest of the WORLD calls it Mega Drive,so...

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 billyd5301
It's hard to say because it sounds laaaaame.
TMF128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 TMF128
Member since 2009 • 289 Posts

3D0 is a terrible name. Seriously, it sounds like a name for a corny 90's gadget that they are trying to make kids think is "cool," but most likely rips them off.

Wait.... that IS the 3D0.

As for other names, PS1 or PS2 sounds good, but "Playstation" sounds bad.

Good names:

-Gamecube: I find it to be unique, yet not too "corny" or weird.

-Super Nintendo: Who would have thought that adding "Super" in front of something would be good for a second installment? High five, Nintendo. Awesome.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arach666
It's hard to say because it sounds laaaaame.billyd5301
Come on....lame? Genesis wins in that department!lol;)
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 billyd5301
[QUOTE="TMF128"]

3D0 is a terrible name. Seriously, it sounds like a name for a corny 90's gadget that they are trying to make kids think is "cool," but most likely rips them off.

Wait.... that IS the 3D0.

As for other names, PS1 or PS2 sounds good, but "Playstation" sounds bad.

Good names:

-Gamecube: I find it to be unique, yet not too "corny" or weird.

-Super Nintendo: Who would have thought that adding "Super" in front of something would be good for a second installment? High five, Nintendo. Awesome.

I thought about 3D0. It is pretty lame, but that entire thing is pretty lame so... The Gamecube is in my opinion borderline bad, but it's catchy at least, and much better than Dolphin. PS1 and PS2 do sound cool. Most of the "gangstas" around here call it a "station". I think because Playstation sounds lame. I actually think "Super Nintendo" is an awesome and accurate name. Original? Haha, nope. But come on, it is just like the Nintendo only... more super?
Urban_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Urban_Flow
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts

Sega Genesis....Love That Name. :P

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Kage1"]

in the past if you went to a girl and said that, she would probably slap you, now its perfectly normal(you are inviting her for a video game.......right :D)lol

lol, I remember when it first came out(I got mine around launch) not many people knew about it at my school so I would allways get some weird faces if I talked about the Wii. Today its perfectly normal to ask someone to "go to my house and play with the Wii". Three years ago not so much unless were talking about something else.
Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silverpeel
Member since 2009 • 1607 Posts

Wait.... that IS the 3D0.TMF128

I was thinking it sounds like the name of a droid from star wars

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Best: Famicom: the name tells you exactly what you are handling, a family computer GameBoy: again, the name says it all Xbox: since it was going to be called DirectXbox, I think we've been lucky Atari Lynx: lynxes are awesome cats Atari Jaguar: jaguars are BIG awesome cats Magnavox Odyssey: makes you think of EPIC things, although it's just a dot moving on the tv screen... Worst: Wii: the name makes me wanna pii Apple Pippin: what's next? Orange Frodo? Sega Neptune: unreleased console with a silly, silly name. With all the greek/roman gods, you had to pick the one that smells like fish?
ninja_where

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ninja_where
Member since 2008 • 2447 Posts

Best:

Genesis - Too bad video games didn't start with Genesis...

SNES - It's almost like "Ness" who is one of Nintendo's most awesome characters...and Mother. Probably one of the few Nintendo consoles that can't be used for puns.

Neo Geo - For some reason, anything with "Neo" is cool.

Dreamcast - Just because it was the last we heard from Sega...

Nintendo Revolution - Too bad it became the "Wii".

Worst:

Xbox360 - Ok, so why is it called "360"? I understand it's for originality, but 360 seems a bit odd for a rectangular console with curves on the side.

Wii - And I thought puns were already too corny...

Playstation - On the bright side, at least it's not "Joystation" or "Playbox" or "Stationplay"

Nintendo 64 - So, what is the 64 for?

Sega Mega CD - It rhymes...

Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Yup, best and worst. SNES is great, but what it really means isn't. It's a mouthful...

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 billyd5301
Lol Playbox. I gaurantee I would not have owned that no matter how good the games were.
jeff729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jeff729
Member since 2005 • 23 Posts

The best names to me are generally single-word names, often named after something. Genesis. Jaguar. Lynx.

The worst would be nonsensical things like WonderSwan, Gizmondo, Dreamcast. I'm not a fan of these compound word names either like GameCube or PlayStation. And "Super" Nintendo? Is anything less creative than just sticking the word "Super" in front of an existing system's name? :P

snakes3425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#30 snakes3425
Member since 2008 • 1508 Posts

Best Names

Atari Jaguar: Named for a ferocious feline, and sounded really cool, but despite it's potental it still fell flat on it's face

Sega Genesis: Yes it was known as the Mega Drive every ware else, but the name Genesis just sounds better

Nintendo Revolution: Why they didn't stick with this name is beyond me

Atari 2600: Simple, easy to remember

Worst Names

Sega 32X: Seriously what does 32X stand for any way?

Atari Video Computer System: Too long, and makes it sound more like a computer then anything else

Intellivison: "Intelligent Telivison" while the Intellivison has it's place in video game history, the name is a joke, it sounds more like a teaching tool then a video game system

Colecovision: Putting the company's name infront of vision, is rather unoriginal

Famicom: Stands for Family Computer, known better as the Nintendo Entertainment System here in North America once again the name sounds more like a full fledge computer then a video game console

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

Dreamcast derives from Dream+broadcast;) Genesis always reminds me of the band....ergh Mega Drive is actually my fav one.Arach666

Genesis always reminded me of the bible ?!?!?! :|

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

Gamecube - very generic blunt and simple. gameboy - should be game brick

Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
Virtual Boy! Worst name ever!
Soapweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Soapweed
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Nintendo 64= 64 bit

It was to show gamers that it was better than the 32 bit consoles from before. Sooo the name actually makes sense.

Wii takes the cake as the best console name ever.

hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

Loved - XBOX

Hated - Dreamcast

Avatar image for child_of_lileth
child_of_lileth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 child_of_lileth
Member since 2007 • 4066 Posts

Best name to me would have been Super Nintendo, Neo Geo, or maybe Saturn.

Worst names to me would be Coleco Vision (sp?), Xbox 360, and Game Gear.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
The worst is easy; Wii. Best; PC Engine... what a name!
kitchenwindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 kitchenwindow
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

I always loved the name "Dreamcast", thought that was cool sounding. As for least favorite, I know this is the legacy section but Wii sounds silly....I mean really.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

My favorite has to be Dreamcast...

As for the worst... how about the Vii?

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#40 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

The best? I like Mega Drive, Playstation and Gamecube. Simple names, not trying to be fancy. The Mega Drive is also the original name. Genesis was just slapped on in America. Makes no sense, really. The worst? Wii. I just don't like the name. Nintendo Revolution would have been much better.

NV27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 NV27
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

Here are some really bad names:

Gizmondo

Apple Pippin

Game.com

Pioneer LaserActive

Zeebo

Magnavox Odyssey²

and CD-I. Those are some of the worse I can think of. I personally don't like "Wii" that much also, Revolution sounds much better.

billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 billyd5301

The best? I like Mega Drive, Playstation and Gamecube. Simple names, not trying to be fancy. The Mega Drive is also the original name. Genesis was just slapped on in America. Makes no sense, really. The worst? Wii. I just don't like the name. Nintendo Revolution would have been much better.

calvinsora

The sense is that most Americans would have laughed at "Mega Drive" and grabbed an SNES :)

To the guy above, doesn't CD-I just stand for Compact Disc Interactive? There's nothing horrible about initials are there? Unless they stood for Super-Holographic Interactive Toy, otherwise known as the S-HIT

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#43 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="calvinsora"]

billyd5301

The sense is that most Americans would have laughed at "Mega Drive" and grabbed an SNES :)

To the guy above, doesn't CD-I just stand for Compact Disc Interactive? There's nothing horrible about initials are there? Unless they stood for Super-Holographic Interactive Toy, otherwise known as the S-HIT

Still, the British populace got Mega Drive, and they didn't complain one bit. I guess it's personal preference. SNES is a cool name, though Super Famicom was OK. It just sounds a bit weird.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Best = Genesis, sounds cool while not being too fancy. Worst = Gamecube, sounds like a toy.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]Dreamcast derives from Dream+broadcast;) Genesis always reminds me of the band....ergh Mega Drive is actually my fav one.hiphopballer

Genesis always reminded me of the bible ?!?!?! :|

Oh yeah,that too!!!! Maybe there was a sumbliminal message in there for our US frieds?lol;)

Avatar image for Shadowtails9000
Shadowtails9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#46 Shadowtails9000
Member since 2009 • 509 Posts

From best to worst; of all consoles I own/know:

1. Gamecube-Rolls off the tongue; I like it
  2. Xbox/Xbox 360-Powerful sounding
  3. Sega Genesis
  4. Nintendo 64
  5. Playstation (meh... love the system, but lame name)
  6. DS
  7. Wii (WORST NAME EVER.)

HOWEVER; if Nintendo KEPT the names of the Wii to Revolution and Gamecube to Dolphin; they would be in first. Damn name changes....

Avatar image for FreshWhiteBread
FreshWhiteBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FreshWhiteBread
Member since 2009 • 383 Posts
Sega Genesis has a futuristic ring to it without being silly. Worst would be the Wii.
gamer_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 gamer_96
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Zeebo yea lol

JayUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 JayUK
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts

I never realised how many of the consoles names are bad. You just get used to them over the years. I mean think about the names Playstation and Gameboy... yeah stupid aren't they?