Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#601 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Has anyone else spotted Killer Croc in Arkham City(other than his trophy, of course)?El_Zo1212o

Yeah, I have.

[spoiler] see above [/spoiler]

Here's video of the encounter if you wish to see it. The video is not mine, BTW, but someone else's instead.

Huh. I didn't know about that, either. What I was talking about was during one of the Riddler maps. When you play the Iceberg Lounge VIP Room(DLC/Coll. Ed.). If you look off to one side outside the arena, Killer Croc is hanging out. He seems to be fussing with a teacup. I decided to try my luck at the map with detective mode on. While I was fighting, I noticed a huge skeleton in the background behind me. I flipped off detective mode to see if it was a titan or something, and it turned out to be Croc. Then I noticed the Penguin is out there, too. I guess I should've guessed, considering how Black Mask hangs out in the gang hideout level, but I just noticed tonight.

Oh I see. I thought you were talking about the Easter Egg that I mentioned above. Perhaps you should have clairified more? :P

I have yet to try out the Iceberg Lounge. How good is that map? Any challenging?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#602 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Yeah, I have.

[spoiler] see above [/spoiler]

Here's video of the encounter if you wish to see it. The video is not mine, BTW, but someone else's instead.

Metamania

Huh. I didn't know about that, either. What I was talking about was during one of the Riddler maps. When you play the Iceberg Lounge VIP Room(DLC/Coll. Ed.). If you look off to one side outside the arena, Killer Croc is hanging out. He seems to be fussing with a teacup. I decided to try my luck at the map with detective mode on. While I was fighting, I noticed a huge skeleton in the background behind me. I flipped off detective mode to see if it was a titan or something, and it turned out to be Croc. Then I noticed the Penguin is out there, too. I guess I should've guessed, considering how Black Mask hangs out in the gang hideout level, but I just noticed tonight.

Oh I see. I thought you were talking about the Easter Egg that I mentioned above. Perhaps you should have clairified more? :P

I have yet to try out the Iceberg Lounge. How good is that map? Any challenging?

It's an endurance match. They keep throwing enemies at you to keep the number at about a dozen at all times until you drop. Scoring is the same, plus you still get your variation and gadget variation bonuses at the end(something the Insane Night map in AA didn't do). Badguys are all thugs(mostly Penguin and Two Face's) and armored thugs, weapons include pipes, knives, stun batons and shields. Batman's disarm and destroy move is invaluable, but you can score high with the other characters so long as you're quick AND creative.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#603 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Huh. I didn't know about that, either. What I was talking about was during one of the Riddler maps. When you play the Iceberg Lounge VIP Room(DLC/Coll. Ed.). If you look off to one side outside the arena, Killer Croc is hanging out. He seems to be fussing with a teacup. I decided to try my luck at the map with detective mode on. While I was fighting, I noticed a huge skeleton in the background behind me. I flipped off detective mode to see if it was a titan or something, and it turned out to be Croc. Then I noticed the Penguin is out there, too. I guess I should've guessed, considering how Black Mask hangs out in the gang hideout level, but I just noticed tonight.El_Zo1212o

It's an endurance match. They keep throwing enemies at you to keep the number at about a dozen at all times until you drop. Scoring is the same, plus you still get your variation and gadget variation bonuses at the end(something the Insane Night map in AA didn't do). Badguys are all thugs(mostly Penguin and Two Face's) and armored thugs, weapons include pipes, knives, stun batons and shields. Batman's disarm and destroy move is invaluable, but you can score high with the other characters so long as you're quick AND creative.

Reminds me of the first challenge map I did in Arkham Asylum, where they just kept on throwing you thug after thug until you were dead. Sounds like a blast!

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#604 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

played it for a couple of hours and never went back... good game but i wouldnt say great... but maybe thats just me..

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605 Metamania

Since the Harley Quinn DLC should be out today, I wonder if anyone downloaded and tried it out?

Nevermind, apparently, the GOTY edition will get it first on May 30th and not the other way around. Damn.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#606 El_Zo1212o

Since the Harley Quinn DLC should be out today, I wonder if anyone downloaded and tried it out?

Nevermind, apparently, the GOTY edition will get it first on May 30th and not the other way around. Damn.

Metamania
I'm pretty sure the Xbl marketplace updates on Wednesday, so I'm still hoping to download it tomorrow. Considering I bought two copies of the game on launch day and every bit of DLC as it came out, I'm really going to be upset if I have to wait for weeks after the GotY edition launches to get my hands on Harley.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#607 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

I'm pretty sure the Xbl marketplace updates on Wednesday, so I'm still hoping to download it tomorrow. Considering I bought two copies of the game on launch day and every bit of DLC as it came out, I'm really going to be upset if I have to wait for weeks after the GotY edition launches to get my hands on Harley.

If it does come out today, my bad. Hopefully, you can enjoy it, since my copy is already traded in for credit towards the GOTY game (on amazon). Besides, I have Arkham Asylum to keep me company until then. :)

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#608 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Arrgghhh.:evil: Guess I'm going to have to buy the GotY edition. I want all the DLC on the disc and still want to throw Rocksteady my money for making such an incredible game. Any other franchise and I wouldn't bother....but for Batman.....AAANNNNNNYTHING!!

RAAAAAAHHH!

MirkoS77

:lol: This post wins the Internetz.

Damn, I guess I should update this thread soon. :/

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#609 Metamania

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Arrgghhh.:evil: Guess I'm going to have to buy the GotY edition. I want all the DLC on the disc and still want to throw Rocksteady my money for making such an incredible game. Any other franchise and I wouldn't bother....but for Batman.....AAANNNNNNYTHING!!

RAAAAAAHHH!

Jbul

:lol: This post wins the Internetz.

Damn, I guess I should update this thread soon. :/

Perhaps you should with a subject line that now says "Arkahm City GOTY is the t**s :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#610 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

apparently the original reported release of April 30th was wrong. It's actually coming out on May 30th

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#611 El_Zo1212o

Metamania

If it does come out today, my bad. Hopefully, you can enjoy it, since my copy is already traded in for credit towards the GOTY game (on amazon). Besides, I have Arkham Asylum to keep me company until then. :)

if you want to try something new(but familiar), I'd suggest Captain America: Super Soldier. You ought to be able to get it on the cheap, andthe experience is very much worth the cost.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#612 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I'm pretty sure the Xbl marketplace updates on Wednesday, so I'm still hoping to download it tomorrow. Considering I bought two copies of the game on launch day and every bit of DLC as it came out, I'm really going to be upset if I have to wait for weeks after the GotY edition launches to get my hands on Harley.El_Zo1212o

if you want to try something new(but familiar), I'd suggest Captain America: Super Soldier. You ought to be able to get it on the cheap, andthe experience is very much worth the cost.

I hear that the game has some combat and camera issues. Any truth to that?

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#613 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Metamania

I encountered no real problems with the camera and the combat was quite good, specifically because they borrowed it from Arkham Asylum.

It's got some decent boss fights too.

You can nab it for twenty bucks and I'd heartily recommend it. Easily one of the most underrated games of last year.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#614 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] if you want to try something new(but familiar), I'd suggest Captain America: Super Soldier. You ought to be able to get it on the cheap, andthe experience is very much worth the cost.Grammaton-Cleric

I encountered no real problems with the camera and the combat was quite good, specifically because they borrowed it from Arkham Asylum.

You can nab it for twenty bucks and I'd heartily recommend it. Easily one of the most underrated games of last year.

Either that or I can rent it from my local store. Be a lot cheaper! :)

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Absolutely underrated(mostly, I think, because of it's ties to the movie). But to say the combat was borrowed from Arkham Asylum is disingenuous in the extreme. It doesn't put nearly as much focus on combos because Cap doesn't go on a riot after 3 hits- it's much more akin to oldschool brawlers like Final Fight and Double Dragons- you smack the enemies a few times and they get dazed, then the next strike puts them on their ass. The combat also focuses more on the block and evade maneuvers than the counter because you're still vulnerable during counter animations. Also, using maneuverability can push enemies into their comrades' attacks(melee or ranged), adding another layer of strategy to the combat that the Arkham games still haven't utilized. Also, Cap doesn't have any combat focused gadgets like Batman other than the shield, but as you level up, you gain special attacks. Really, the only resemblance to Arkham in the combat styles is the one-button strike and the counter button. And even still, Cap has a grab button used to stun opponents as well. As far as camera issues, I haven't noticed anything worse than Arkham City's over active autofocusing camera, but the combat does have a few inconsistencies- missing a counter here or there for no apparent reason and such, but they become very minimal once you get familiar with the combat system. What really stuck with me(and why I replaced CA:SS before AA or AC when my games were stolen) was how much more hands-on the game seemed compared with the Arkham games. So many of the 'HOLY S***' moments in Arkham combat occur at random, where you have a lot more control over those moments in Super Soldier(even if there are many fewer different animations). Sorry for going on an on like this, but I've beaten CA: SS nearly a dozen times, I love the damn game so much. It isn't anywhere near Arkham City on a technical level, but I enjoy playing it more anyway.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

Absolutely underrated(mostly, I think, because of it's ties to the movie). But to say the combat was borrowed from Arkham Asylum is disingenuous in the extreme. It doesn't put nearly as much focus on combos because Cap doesn't go on a riot after 3 hits- it's much more akin to oldschool brawlers like Final Fight and Double Dragons- you smack the enemies a few times and they get dazed, then the next strike puts them on their ass. The combat also focuses more on the block and evade maneuvers than the counter because you're still vulnerable during counter animations. Also, using maneuverability can push enemies into their comrades' attacks(melee or ranged), adding another layer of strategy to the combat that the Arkham games still haven't utilized. Also, Cap doesn't have any combat focused gadgets like Batman other than the shield, but as you level up, you gain special attacks. Really, the only resemblance to Arkham in the combat styles is the one-button strike and the counter button. And even still, Cap has a grab button used to stun opponents as well. As far as camera issues, I haven't noticed anything worse than Arkham City's over active autofocusing camera, but the combat does have a few inconsistencies- missing a counter here or there for no apparent reason and such, but they become very minimal once you get familiar with the combat system. What really stuck with me(and why I replaced CA:SS before AA or AC when my games were stolen) was how much more hands-on the game seemed compared with the Arkham games. So many of the 'HOLY S***' moments in Arkham combat occur at random, where you have a lot more control over those moments in Super Soldier(even if there are many fewer different animations). Sorry for going on an on like this, but I've beaten CA: SS nearly a dozen times, I love the damn game so much. It isn't anywhere near Arkham City on a technical level, but I enjoy playing it more anyway.

I like the game quite a bit but to claim the combat isn't derivative of Arkham Asylum is to deny stark reality.

Yes, they did make some tweaks and the developers placed an emphasis on different aspects of the combat but the essentials were taken directly from Asylum.

The core combat, the manner in which the enemies attacks, the counter system and the evasion techniques are all lifted practically verbatim from AA.

To be fair, they did a solid job of tailoring the engine to suit Cap's style (and the use of his shield) but it's a carbon copy of the combat pioneered by Rocksteady.

Also, you are correct that you have more direct control over certain attacks and finishers but that is because CA contains far less techniques than either AA or AC.

Again, I think it's a damn fine game but let's give due credit because without Arkham Asylum the combat as it appears in this game wouldn't even exist.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#617 El_Zo1212o

Grammaton-Cleric

I like the game quite a bit but to claim the combat isn't derivative of Arkham Asylum is to deny stark reality.

Yes, they did make some tweaks and the developers placed an emphasis on different aspects of the combat but the essentials were taken directly from Asylum.

The core combat, the manner in which the enemies attacks, the counter system and the evasion techniques are all lifted practically verbatim from AA.

To be fair, they did a solid job of tailoring the engine to suit Cap's style (and the use of his shield) but it's a carbon copy of the combat pioneered by Rocksteady.

Also, you are correct that you have more direct control over certain attacks and finishers but that is because CA contains far less techniques than either AA or AC.

Again, I think it's a damn fine game but let's give due credit because without Arkham Asylum the combat as it appears in this game wouldn't even exist.

Gonna have to disagree with you here, friend. The combat system is so different, I imagine that (maybe with the exception of the counter button and the groundpound finisher) the combat system would be identical without the advent of Arkham Asylum's freeflow combat. Batman's freeflow combat is predicated on the combo- stringing together blow after blow(whether strikes or gadgets), knocking down opponents one after another until all are unconscious- whereas Cap focuses on a '3 hit>daze>finisher' system so common to early beat'em ups. Especially considering how much less effective Batman is when interrupted mid-combo, as opposed to Cap, who is just as effective even after being hit by an enemy. No, regardless of the similarities in the open(ish) world structure, the combat is altogether different from the Arkham games to Captain America: Super Soldier.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#618 El_Zo1212o
And sure, the automatic counterstrike made it's first appearance in Arkham Asylum, but Beat'em ups have had the ability to counter incoming strikes long before Rocksteady made such a splash(case in point: Super Double Dragons(SNES)).
Savoritias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619 Savoritias
Member since 2012 • 64 Posts

It is one of the few games that gave Batman the right game

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#620 Jbul

I don't know what the f*** is going on with this Captain America/Batman debate, but I will say that the few reviews I've watched for Captain America have all called out MASSIVE similarities to Batman: AA/AC.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#621 Grammaton-Cleric

Gonna have to disagree with you here, friend. The combat system is so different, I imagine that (maybe with the exception of the counter button and the groundpound finisher) the combat system would be identical without the advent of Arkham Asylum's freeflow combat. Batman's freeflow combat is predicated on the combo- stringing together blow after blow(whether strikes or gadgets), knocking down opponents one after another until all are unconscious- whereas Cap focuses on a '3 hit>daze>finisher' system so common to early beat'em ups. Especially considering how much less effective Batman is when interrupted mid-combo, as opposed to Cap, who is just as effective even after being hit by an enemy. No, regardless of the similarities in the open(ish) world structure, the combat is altogether different from the Arkham games to Captain America: Super Soldier.

El_Zo1212o

So you are sincerely claiming that you don't think AA's combat had significant influence on the development of CA:SS? And you think merely because CA makes some tweaks to the formula that negates the clearly derivative nature of the combat engine?

Do you chalk up the similarities to coincidence despite the fact that AA predates this game by nearly two years?

It's the equivalent of claiming Double Dragon had no effect on Final Fight or that Final fight had no effect on Streets of Rage.

There was nothing even remotely similar to AA's combat mechanics until it landed in 2009 and I find it difficult to believe that a game which started development after the release of AA magically created a combat system that plays so incredibly similar.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#622 El_Zo1212o

I don't know what the f*** is going on with this Captain America/Batman debate, but I will say that the few reviews I've watched for Captain America have all called out MASSIVE similarities to Batman: AA/AC.

Jbul
The similarities in the overworld structure and campaign progression do reflect Arkham Asylum, but combatwise, any similarity between the two really ends with the counter button and the groundpound finisher.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]

Grammaton-Cleric

So you are sincerely claiming that you don't think AA's combat had significant influence on the development of CA:SS? And you think merely because CA makes some tweaks to the formula that negates the clearly derivative nature of the combat engine?

Do you chalk up the similarities to coincidence despite the fact that AA predates this game by nearly two years?

It's the equivalent of claiming Double Dragon had no effect on Final Fight or that Final fight had no effect on Streets of Rage.

There was nothing even remotely similar to AA's combat mechanics until it landed in 2009 and I find it difficult to believe that a game which started development after the release of AA magically created a combat system that plays so incredibly similar.

But it isn't incredibly similar. Yes, Arkham Asylum created an incredible combat system. But can't you see how Captain America is more of a modern update of the classic beat em up, where the Arkham games are a whole new kind of beat em up?
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

El_Zo1212o

The similarities in the overworld structure and campaign progression do reflect Arkham Asylum, but combatwise, any similarity between the two really ends with the counter button and the groundpound finisher.

The striking is the same.

The evasion is the same.

The countering is the same.

The way enemies attack is the same.

The overall flow of combat is the same.

Even the challenge rooms are a direct rip-off of Arkham Asylum's mode.

Is it your assertion that they lifted the overall game design and even "borrowed" the challenge rooms but that the combat is an entirely unique product?

With respect, that doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#625 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

El_Zo1212o

Dude, why waste the energy on it? The game's got a f***ing 60 on Metacritic. Come on now.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#626 El_Zo1212o

striking is altogether different. Batman starts a combo and then knocks every opponent down in one hit for as long as the combo keeps up. Cap hits every basic thug 4x to put him on the ground.

The evasion is the same.

evasion is more of an offensive technique in Captain America, as you can use it to launch off of walls to attack, or use it to push an enemy into another enemy's attack.

Not so. Countering renders Batman invulnerable to incoming attacks and raises your combo multiplier and is therefore the preferred method of avoiding damage. Captain America is vulnerable during counter animations, and so favors the maneuverability approach.

not at all. The thugs in Arkham Asylum only ever attack one at a time, where in Captain America the attack randomly(this is more easily observed on Hard mode)

I don't see that at all. Batman focuses on combos to keep as many enemies down at the same time as possible. Cap just keeps slugging away at them until they stop getting up.

I'll give you that one, but any future next gen beatem ups had better have an arena mode. It'll make for a glaring omission, any one that doesn't.

Is it your assertion that they lifted the overall game design and even "borrowed" the challenge rooms but that the combat is an entirely unique product?

Grammaton-Cleric
That is my assertion(for the most part). The combat isn't *entirely* unique, but nor was it lifted wholesale from Arkham Asylum.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Dude, why waste the energy on it? The game's got a f***ing 60 on Metacritic. Come on now.

Due mainly to the general phobia of movie licensed games. It was an excellent game in almost every way. I love this game, and I hate to see it constantly looked-down upon as an inferior version of the Arkham games.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#628 Grammaton-Cleric

striking is altogether different. Batman starts a combo and then knocks every opponent down in one hit for as long as the combo keeps up. Cap hits every basic thug 4x to put him on the ground.

The evasion is the same.

evasion is more of an offensive technique in Captain America, as you can use it to launch off of walls to attack, or use it to push an enemy into another enemy's attack.

Not so. Countering renders Batman invulnerable to incoming attacks and raises your combo multiplier and is therefore the preferred method of avoiding damage. Captain America is vulnerable during counter animations, and so favors the maneuverability approach.

not at all. The thugs in Arkham Asylum only ever attack one at a time, where in Captain America the attack randomly(this is more easily observed on Hard mode)

I don't see that at all. Batman focuses on combos to keep as many enemies down at the same time as possible. Cap just keeps slugging away at them until they stop getting up.

I'll give you that one, but any future next gen beatem ups had better have an arena mode. It'll make for a glaring omission, any one that doesn't.

El_Zo1212o

That is my assertion(for the most part). The combat isn't *entirely* unique, but nor was it lifted wholesale from Arkham Asylum.

But that's a different assertion than your earlier claims.You made it seem as though the combat was 100% the work of the CA developers.

They clearly were inspired to mimic the foundation of Arkham Asylum's combat and then threw some of their own twists and modifications into the mix.

Had they not modified the game and made it unique, I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much.

But clearly they predicated the combat on AA. That's not meant as derision because frankly, the AA/AC?s combat is among the best out there.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] The similarities in the overworld structure and campaign progression do reflect Arkham Asylum, but combatwise, any similarity between the two really ends with the counter button and the groundpound finisher.El_Zo1212o

Due mainly to the general phobia of movie licensed games. It was an excellent game in almost every way. I love this game, and I hate to see it constantly looked-down upon as an inferior version of the Arkham games.

I actually think Captain America is one of the better movie games in years and it would easily rank in my top 10 for comic book adaptations.

It is a damn fine game and was unfairly maligned for no good reason.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630 Metamania

I'll probably snag it up at my local rental store, rent it for a good five days, and see how it is. I am not going to buy it.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#631 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"] That is my assertion(for the most part). The combat isn't *entirely* unique, but nor was it lifted wholesale from Arkham Asylum.Grammaton-Cleric

But that's a different assertion than your earlier claims.You made it seem as though the combat was 100% the work of the CA developers.

They clearly were inspired to mimic the foundation of Arkham Asylum's combat and then threw some of their own twists and modifications into the mix.

Had they not modified the game and made it unique, I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much.

But clearly they predicated the combat on AA. That's not meant as derision because frankly, the AA/AC?s combat is among the best out there.

In my earlier claim I said that with the exception of the counterstrike and the ground pound finisher that(I believe) the combat system would be nearly identical had Arkham Asylum never been made(assuming the game still would have been a beat em up). I feel confident in this because frankly, the game bears a closer resemblance to the old beatem ups I mentioned previously than to the Arkham games.
I actually think Captain America is one of the better movie games in years and it would easily rank in my top 10 for comic book adaptations.Grammaton-Cleric
I'd call it the best movie game since Spiderman 2, unless someone can name another?
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632 Jbul

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Jbul"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I actually think Captain America is one of the better movie games in years and it would easily rank in my top 10 for comic book adaptations.

I believe you. Why do you think it was unfairly critisized, then? What I mean to say is, what qualities of the game do you think made critics rate it rather averagely?

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Due mainly to the general phobia of movie licensed games. It was an excellent game in almost every way. I love this game, and I hate to see it constantly looked-down upon as an inferior version of the Arkham games.Jbul

I believe you. Why do you think it was unfairly critisized, then? What I mean to say is, what qualities of the game do you think made critics rate it rather averagely?

The game definitely feels a bit rushed in terms of length and scope and the platforming is brain dead and very unsatisfying.

However, the combat, while clearly cribbed from AA, was good enough to buoy the game and the overall production values and quality easily surpass most other film tie-ins. The game also enjoys some very solid boss encounters and overall emulates the look and feel of the character as he appears in the film and comics.

I'd argue it's the only Captain America game to actually make the player feel like Captain America.

As to the lukewarm critical response, in a nutshell I think gaming journalism is a joke and I sincerely believe that smaller games get lower ratings because they are treated as perfunctory nuances while the big stuff gets the front page treatment.

There is also, as El Zo mentioned, a persistent stigma as it relates to licensed games.

Take at look at something like 007 Bloodstone, which is a fantastic Bond games, and it too was largely greeted with indifference because there was no real hype generated by the publisher. I think games with large advertising budgets and copious media coverage are going to be rated with a more focused approach than something like CA:SS, which was instantly viewed as another cheap cash grab.

To be honest with you, I don't trust critics beyond their ability to identify the obvious AAA titles. Once you get into smaller games with more nuanced elements and uneven production values, anything goes. (See Gamespot's Sniper Elite review as a recent example of this)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#634 Metamania

The game definitely feels a bit rushed in terms of length and scope and the platforming is brain dead and very unsatisfying.

Grammaton-Cleric

You should expect that for every movie-to-game transition though; not all of them will hit the mark. Only a few movie-to-game tie-ins happened, one of them being Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

BTW, much props to you for loving Bloodstone. That Bond game is awesome and is one of the better Bond games today.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635 El_Zo1212o
... the platforming is brain dead and very unsatisfying.

between the system in place and a standard jump>grab ledge>repeat alternative, I'd prefer this system. Although it did bug me that even stringing together perfect moves didn't prevent you from catching sniper bullets. I think it would have been truer to the character if you could block incoming fire while platforming. The comics often have Cap blocking enemy fire while pulling off sweet acrobatics. I guess they thought it would make platforming too busy to look awesome.

However, the combat, while clearly cribbed from AA...

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were tweaking my nose a'purpose...

I'd argue it's the only Captain America game to actually make the player feel like Captain America.

That I can agree with

... as El Zo mentioned...

My friends call me Zorro

Grammaton-Cleric
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#636 El_Zo1212o

Metamania

You should expect that for every movie-to-game transition though; not all of them will hit the mark. Only a few movie-to-game tie-ins happened, one of them being Goldeneye 007 on the N64.

BTW, much props to you for loving Bloodstone. That Bond game is awesome and is one of the better Bond games today.

the only Bond games I've played since Goldeneye 007 were Rogue Agent, Quantum of Solace, Goldeneye Reloaded and Bloodstone. I played tham all on DS(except I also played Rogue Agent on 360). Of those(surprisingly), QoS was the best. It was a top down cover shooter with a really interesting stat boosting mechanic- you collected playing cards off of your enemies and built poker hands to boost your stats. Bloodstone was cool, too, but Goldeneye Reloaded was a huge letdown. I would have much preferred a direct port of the original.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

the only Bond games I've played since Goldeneye 007 were Rogue Agent, Quantum of Solace, Goldeneye Reloaded and Bloodstone. I played tham all on DS(except I also played Rogue Agent on 360). Of those(surprisingly), QoS was the best. It was a top down cover shooter with a really interesting stat boosting mechanic- you collected playing cards off of your enemies and built poker hands to boost your stats. Bloodstone was cool, too, but Goldeneye Reloaded was a huge letdown. I would have much preferred a direct port of the original.

I'm playing through Quantam just to get the achievement for beating the game on 007 and I swear, that cover system is really bad and VERY faulty. When you are behind a wall or something, you should be protected by bullets and in Quantam, that's not the case at all. I find it ridiculous that Bond also just doesn't stay in cover in some spots, even when you tell him to, and he dies very quickly. QoS is one of the worst Bond games I've played. Goldeneye 007 Reloaded has very poor A.I., but I loved the game's campaign nevertheless.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638 El_Zo1212o

Metamania

I'm playing through Quantam just to get the achievement for beating the game on 007 and I swear, that cover system is really bad and VERY faulty. When you are behind a wall or something, you should be protected by bullets and in Quantam, that's not the case at all. I find it ridiculous that Bond also just doesn't stay in cover in some spots, even when you tell him to, and he dies very quickly. QoS is one of the worst Bond games I've played. Goldeneye 007 Reloaded has very poor A.I., but I loved the game's campaign nevertheless.

Never played it on consoles, but while 007 did have trouble getting to cover, the cover was always solid.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] the only Bond games I've played since Goldeneye 007 were Rogue Agent, Quantum of Solace, Goldeneye Reloaded and Bloodstone. I played tham all on DS(except I also played Rogue Agent on 360). Of those(surprisingly), QoS was the best. It was a top down cover shooter with a really interesting stat boosting mechanic- you collected playing cards off of your enemies and built poker hands to boost your stats. Bloodstone was cool, too, but Goldeneye Reloaded was a huge letdown. I would have much preferred a direct port of the original.El_Zo1212o

Never played it on consoles, but while 007 did have trouble getting to cover, the cover was always solid.

Not in Quantam. The cover system flat-out sucks ASS.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#640 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#641 Metamania

I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.BranKetra

That's a good decision, since you'll get all the previous DLC, the game, and the new DLC, all for a good price of $50. Which is a good deal, IMO.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#642 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.Metamania

That's a good decision, since you'll get all the previous DLC, the game, and the new DLC, all for a good price of $50. Which is a good deal, IMO.

That's got to be the best value on a GotY edition to date: Three individual challenge maps, 2 extra characters, four(or five?) character specific maps, nearly a dozen alternate costumes for Batman and an extra story episode, not to mention opening up free mode to Robin. The Borderlands GotY only had two of the eventual 4 additional episodes. I just hope the game doesn't end here. I'm hoping for an additional episode to open free mode to Nightwing(though it seems unlikely since I don't think he even has a voice actor EDIT: it would be pretty cool t have Neil Patrick Harris reprise the role from Under the Red Hood- was that the only time he voiced Nightwing?), and maybe Harley and/or Joker characters for the challenge modes. ( [spoiler] Yeah, I know he's dead, but if you can go toe-to-toe with him in the Joker's carnival, then you can play as him, too. [/spoiler] )
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#643 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.Metamania

I know. Thanks for telling me about it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#644 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.El_Zo1212o

That's got to be the best value on a GotY edition to date: Three individual challenge maps, 2 extra characters, four(or five?) character specific maps, nearly a dozen alternate costumes for Batman and an extra story episode, not to mention opening up free mode to Robin. The Borderlands GotY only had two of the eventual 4 additional episodes. I just hope the game doesn't end here. I'm hoping for an additional episode to open free mode to Nightwing(though it seems unlikely since I don't think he even has a voice actor EDIT: it would be pretty cool t have Neil Patrick Harris reprise the role from Under the Red Hood- was that the only time he voiced Nightwing?), and maybe Harley and/or Joker characters for the challenge modes. ( [spoiler] Yeah, I know he's dead, but if you can go toe-to-toe with him in the Joker's carnival, then you can play as him, too. [/spoiler] )

Kinda weird if that happens, doesn't it?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#645 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]I could get this on steam and the half price sale is tempting, but I'm going to wait until the GOTY version is released and get it on the PS3.BranKetra

I know. Thanks for telling me about it.

You're welcome. That's what I did. I don't have my original copy anymore, but that's fine. It's only four weeks until it's out, so I can hold out until then. Asylum will keep me company in the meantime. :)

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Grammaton-Cleric

However, the combat, while clearly cribbed from AA, was good enough to buoy the game and the overall production values and quality easily surpass most other film tie-ins. The game also enjoys some very solid boss encounters and overall emulates the look and feel of the character as he appears in the film and comics.

As to the lukewarm critical response, in a nutshell I think gaming journalism is a joke and I sincerely believe that smaller games get lower ratings because they are treated as perfunctory nuances while the big stuff gets the front page treatment.

There is also, as El Zo mentioned, a persistent stigma as it relates to licensed games.

Take at look at something like 007 Bloodstone, which is a fantastic Bond games, and it too was largely greeted with indifference because there was no real hype generated by the publisher. I think games with large advertising budgets and copious media coverage are going to be rated with a more focused approach than something like CA:SS, which was instantly viewed as another cheap cash grab.

To be honest with you, I don't trust critics beyond their ability to identify the obvious AAA titles. Once you get into smaller games with more nuanced elements and uneven production values, anything goes. (See Gamespot's Sniper Elite review as a recent example of this)

Cool. I appreciate your opinion on the matter -- I'll definitely check out Captain America when I get a chance. I love action/brawler games, well the good ones, at least.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#647 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Cool. I appreciate your opinion on the matter -- I'll definitely check out Captain America when I get a chance. I love action/brawler games, well the good ones, at least.

I'd like to hear your opinion of it when you do.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#648 Metamania

Arkham City's Harley Quinn DLC Is What DLC Should Be

I imagine the article above has spoilers (I haven't read it yet), so read at your own risk. Just thought to share it with you guys! :)

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#649 El_Zo1212o
FUUUUU-!!! " : Warner Bros. has confirmed that ...Robin won't be able to roam the entirety of Arkham City -- just this mission and his previously released challenge maps." SonofaBIT*H!! Was it really so hard to add a traversal method and a swap point?!
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650 El_Zo1212o
I haven't been this disappointed since Catwoman turned out to be an online pass scheme... This damn DLC had better add at least 3 challenge maps or I'm going to seriously consider not buying it.